• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Empires II: DE gets Xbox launch trailer

Mr.ODST

These "video game critiques" are the most casual crowd around. I've playing this game since the 90s and my idea of entertainment on YouTube it this channel:

https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritOfTheLaw/videos

I hope for this as well!
inbetweeners-ooo.gif

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I would never want to play AOE on a controller although I know it’s not the first time it has landed there.

They’re bringing AOE1’s stuff into the AOE2 game, so it will probably go in that way.
I generally agree with not wanting to use controller. In saying that, one of my fondess memories is when my childhood friend and I had extension cables running through his house so our PS1 could get close enough to attach the console link cables. We stayed up till daylight playing Command and Conquer Red Alert.

One round, I created a great wall of Tesla coils. IIRC, I must have had 100 of them and he didn't build any aircraft. I wiped the floor with him all night 😀.

Filben

I hope for this as well!
Found this by a MS spokesman:
"PC versions will be getting the very same benefits, including controller support, crossplay with consoles and cloud gaming support."

Hope it'll be there at launch. "will be" can be anything and in times of road maps and unfinishes games and releases with many features only being added later on I'd be not surprised.

Really want to play co-op with a buddy this weekend who only got an Xbox, which I don't have.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I generally agree with not wanting to use controller. In saying that, one of my fondess memories is when my childhood friend and I had extension cables running through his house so our PS1 could get close enough to attach the console link cables. We stayed up till daylight playing Command and Conquer Red Alert.

One round, I created a great wall of Tesla coils. IIRC, I must have had 100 of them and he didn't build any aircraft. I wiped the floor with him all night 😀.
I remember playing Starcraft 64 with my friend. We had both played the PC version but yea, it was actually fun.

AOE2 is just an 11/10 game at this point, tons of content, very refined, the DE is extremely well done with smart enhancements like to the AI, but yea, hook up a mouse and keyboard if you can is my recommendation.

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
Why is this game 10.5GB on Steam/Windows store and 31GB on Xbox? lol wtf MS.

Hope it's an error on the listing.

Alpha Male

As a console player I have never played Age of Empires before but I always wanted to. It's funny...I've said for many years that the only PC games I felt like I've missed out on are strategy games - mainly Company of Heroes, Age of Empires and Age of Wonders. Now having all those playable on or coming to console soon is awesome!

This game is absolutely F'n GREAT...and I can't wait to play Age of Empires 4 later this year!

gothmog

Gold Member
I played a few hours last night. Was a blast on the TV at 4k, but I find myself wanting a classic control scheme. If I wanted to use k/m can I use wireless? I haven't plugged a keyboard lately into a console outside of the steam deck.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Loving those 'treacherous', 'Sly', and 'Evil' English during the tutorial..

Thats right baby, thats right. We're all evil motherfuckers here :messenger_sunglasses:

Komatsu

I played a few hours last night. Was a blast on the TV at 4k, but I find myself wanting a classic control scheme. If I wanted to use k/m can I use wireless? I haven't plugged a keyboard lately into a console outside of the steam deck.

It supports kb/m.

Orbital2060

Ive played through until the Felkirk battle in the Wallace campaign and the controlller layout works really well. Maybe its because AoE2 is simpler than other strategy games. Not that many menus and sub systems to maneuver. But it feels great to play on console and its such a nice laid back game with the music and ambience and battle sounds. Kinda weird to be playing this on a console given its natural habitat on PC but it works.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Ive played through until the Felkirk battle in the Wallace campaign and the controlller layout works really well. Maybe its because AoE2 is simpler than other strategy games. Not that many menus and sub systems to maneuver. But it feels great to play on console and its such a nice laid back game with the music and ambience and battle sounds. Kinda weird to be playing this on a console given its natural habitat on PC but it works.
Thats encouraging. I haven't tried it yet but will be playing on controller

Top Bottom