• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Empires II: DE gets Xbox launch trailer

Murdok

With new mechanics and UI adapted for the console. Wololo!

Announced at the anniversary event of the saga, Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition is finally coming to consoles on January 31st and has won a new launch trailer showing some news. In this trailer, you can see several new features, such as a new UI adapted and simplified for consoles with adaptations for the control and a radial actions menu for easy access to various features during gameplay. In addition to these new features, the game will feature 4K resolution, 35 civilizations available and more than 200 hours of a historical campaign covering 1000 years of human history.

Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition is available now for PC and PC Game Pass, arriving January 31, 2023 for Xbox Consoles, Xbox Cloud Gaming, and Game Pass. A console version of Age of Empires IV is already scheduled for 2023.

Saber

Gold Member
Age of Empires 2 is cool, I aways liked.
But I think it all comes down to how the controls gonna work.

Dr.Morris79

Age of Empires 2 is cool, I aways liked.
But I think it all comes down to how the controls gonna work.
It worked before. Damn thing knackered my drive :messenger_tears_of_joy:

D2oZtaU.jpg

sainraja

I got into Age of Empires with the third and remember having great fun with my friends. For whatever reason, I prefer RTS games on the PC but interested in trying this out on console. I know MS released a Halo RTS version on the X360, so this might control similarly.

twilo99

This game is a masterpiece. I never got into it, but I remember a lot of mates will pull a night shift at the "internet cafe" just to play on LAN. It was always between this, star craft, quake, or counter strike.

edit. oh and heroes lol

Last edited:

Havoc2049

Funniest thing is they didn't even bother to release an xbox version. MS divisions really were competing agaist each others at the time.
The PS2 version of AoE II released before the Xbox launched.

I played the Nintendo DS version of Age of Empires: Age of Kings and it was really good. MechAssault on the Nintendo DS was solid as well.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The PS2 version of AoE II released before the Xbox launched.

I played the Nintendo DS version of Age of Empires: Age of Kings and it was really good. MechAssault on the Nintendo DS was solid as well.
Those were turn-based games though. Still really good though and I actually wish they made one for PC.

Damn, Xbox is killing it for a console with "no games". Hi Fi Rush, Age of empires 2 and Golden eye finally getting released.

they're good games but I don't think anyone bought a $500 machine these days to play ports of titles from 1997 and 1999.

Last edited:
I've played so much AoE a friend made a copy of the music for me to listen to in my car.
It was in the car when I sold it. :( I hope they release some of the old music with this.

Those were turn-based games though. Still really good though and I actually wish they made one for PC.

they're good games but I don't think anyone bought a $500 machine these days to play ports of titles from 1997 and 1999.

We got star field, Forza, and Red fall coming soon too along with more game pass games. I think we are covered :)

Also, Hi Fi Rush is defiantly worth buying an xbox for.

Last edited:

j.k.2021

Banned

Don't be shocked....Age of Empires II had 22,547 peak concurrent players on steam in last 24 hours.

Last edited:

Three

This game is a masterpiece. I never got into it, but I remember a lot of mates will pull a night shift at the "internet cafe" just to play on LAN. It was always between this, star craft, quake, or counter strike.

edit. oh and heroes lol
I pulled all nighters on that game on something called MSN Gaming Zone which was like some early XBL on PC using my trusty dial up, big physical box and fold out upgrade branch charts

Didn't really get into the recent DE versions though. Heard it has some bad AI issues compared to the old version.

Locutus

I pulled all nighters on that game on something called MSN Gaming Zone which was like some early XBL on PC using my trusty dial up, big physical box and fold out upgrade branch charts.
Wow, I haven’t thought about MSN Gaming Zone in…dangerously close to two decades. That brings back some great memories.

BlackTron

If it gives me the option to switch between a m/kb and controller on the fly, could actually be awesome. I don't really want to commit to hours of controller use to play a match in a game like this, but it WOULD be cool to say, have a laptop playing the game also output to a TV so you could get both your army on a big screen with a gamepad and all your finicky micro/base management with a mouse.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Can't imagine playing this on a controller and being competitive. I think I might try it as a novelty. Super curious how it's gonna play.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

Shut0wen

Funniest thing is they didn't even bother to release an xbox version. MS divisions really were competing agaist each others at the time.
I remember reading a magazine at the time where one of the devs that ported it to ps2 said that whatever direct x was on the xbox was way to costly to port and that it took them 3 months to port it on ps2

Top Bottom