• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AGDQ - Awesome Games Done Quick 2021 (January 3rd - 10th)

Dvidus

The Argick Sonic Mania run was by far one of the best things to happen to AGDQ this year.

If anyone wants to check anything afterwards. Go check this dude's run. Comments were going wild on his energy.

Last edited:

Dthomp

Is it me or is the downtime wild this time around? It feels like no matter when I tune in I see the intermission screen.

It's as if their charity is the cancer foundation or something.

I think a lot of the downtime is there for setup between runs, and obviously to give time to push for more incentives to be met for special runs. I think there is a lot more behind the scene stuff needed to check when doing these not live and at a location.

And yeah imagine complaining about them talking to people about the charity they are taking donations for 🤦‍♂️

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Tuned in just in time to hear discussion about RNG in a Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) speedrun, and the runner quips, "That's the kind of luck you'd only see in a dream".

lol

Paasei

When it comes to actual speedrunning, ESA is way better. More focus on the run(ners) and less on the woke shit. Also, no audience this year, so might as well just watch a random speedrunner on Youtube or Twitch regardless of the event.

All sounds quite quite toxic, I know, but the quality is just not there without the audience in a big hall. This plus the direction they tend to focus on makes it less interesting every year. There are always exceptions, of course. Still some runners left that are just there to run and show the game.

PooBone

Keep in mind they schedule these things for streamers given a specific streaming start time. They also have to give a bit of a buffer for the runs, not all of them will be world records. In past events, as soon as one person was done, they started tearing down while a future streamer began setup at that station. That is obviously not happening now.

Last edited:

JSoup

Banned
Keep in mind they schedule these things for streamers given a specific streaming start time. They also have to give a bit of a buffer for the runs, not all of them will be world records. In past events, as soon as one person was done, they started tearing down while a future streamer began setup at that station. That is obviously not happening now.

That would be the one benefit to this format. "Tear down" this way means "push two buttons".

SaiyanRaoh

I'm asking not to attack but because I don't know. The donations seem pretty low ATM. Is this more due to COVID or because of how woke and sanitized this show is now? I remember always taking time off work for this event in years past. The combination of the runners focused on skill and not on woke checkmarks, OPEN chat, and the audience made this an event for me, just like the old E3. You can't even curse now for danger of disturbing some nest of SJW parasites.

The lady announcing the donations just butchered "Fus ro dah" during the Skyrim run and you can hear the dude not on screen crack the fuck up. Kinda cringe but hoping for something better.

Dthomp

I'm asking not to attack but because I don't know. The donations seem pretty low ATM. Is this more due to COVID or because of how woke and sanitized this show is now? I remember always taking time off work for this event in years past. The combination of the runners focused on skill and not on woke checkmarks, OPEN chat, and the audience made this an event for me, just like the old E3. You can't even curse now for danger of disturbing some nest of SJW parasites.

its pretty much on its normal pace. Most of their donations come in the final days, and most of the major big donations come from companies like the Yeti, and can’t remember the other one, they dropped a 40k donation late last night to bump up the totals. Two companies that are sponsors or have been tend to be responsible for huge chunks of what they raise. They likely will finish in the ballpark between 1-2 million

It says enough about what the event has become when their preferred pronouns are shown at all times on stream. Granted, a lot of streamers are confused about their gender identity. Why is everyone talking like a PR-person?

JSoup

Banned
I don't mind the pronoun thing, really. They aren't forcing people to do it, but it's provided as an option. And it can lead to genuinely funny situation like with Edobean.

Dabaus

Banned
Sorry to go off topic here, I think the bigger question is how did the speed running community become so infiltrated by woke types? And it’s not just gaming, I look at what’s going on with magic the gathering for example and it’s just a woke fest. It’s clear the agenda here isn’t to sell you a product or even persuade you that being woke is full of good ideas, I genuinely believe it’s to destroy which ever particular medium it infiltrates. Why though? What’s really going on here?

Last edited:

Dthomp

3-man diablo 3 run was nice. they broke the 4-man WR. 😮

That run was awesome, only wish they could have focused on one screen at a time, hard to see three smaller screens playing Diablo.

im surprise, not used to seeing WR runs during gdqs but we had that one and two Sonic ones earlier today.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
That run was awesome, only wish they could have focused on one screen at a time, hard to see three smaller screens playing Diablo.

im surprise, not used to seeing WR runs during gdqs but we had that one and two Sonic ones earlier today.
I felt the same way. My eyes were about to jump out my head watching each screen.

Dunki

So how woke are they this year? I remember the last times where they litterally sucked all of the fun out of these runs and not letting the runners have any emotions or fun.

I don't mind the pronoun thing, really. They aren't forcing people to do it, but it's provided as an option. And it can lead to genuinely funny situation like with Edobean.
If their reaction to Bonesaw is anything to go by, I wouldn't be surprised if "optional" means "You can refuse, but it will mean any future runs you submit will coincidentally be overlooked". They blackballed a guy for continuing to make Owen Wilson and Air Canada jokes after being asked to stop. No way people who refuse to go along with this won't face the same treatment.

PooBone

That would be the one benefit to this format. "Tear down" this way means "push two buttons".
That’s not fair to the runners at all. I’m not at a live event/convention, I’m not sitting around watching and waiting for the drop of a hat. Some people have to schedule their runs for when they’ll actually be available. And gettin a good lineup with so many games over a week means compromising amongst runners to get as many in as possible. Adulting and whatnot.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Sorry to go off topic here, I think the bigger question is how did the speed running community become so infiltrated by woke types? And it’s not just gaming, I look at what’s going on with magic the gathering for example and it’s just a woke fest. It’s clear the agenda here isn’t to sell you a product or even persuade you that being woke is full of good ideas, I genuinely believe it’s to destroy which ever particular medium it infiltrates. Why though? What’s really going on here?
I have a tentative theory, completely pulled out of my ass, and that will sound offensive.

There’s an awful lot of misfits in these communities. After all, we’re talking about a subculture of the video gaming culture. A lot of the big names in the community that I saw performing in the past years (I don’t closely follow the speedrunning scene, I just watch GDQ) were/are young males with obvious social problems, if not downright on the spectrum. Couple that with a hobby that gives them their chance at celebrity, but is extremely nerdy and niche, and you can easily imagine most of these guys had virtually no mating chance at all.

The woke culture provided a “solution” for these people to keep getting respected, protected, and given attention.
The whole community and event going towards woke was probably necessary to keep some good players in the game.

Dabaus

Banned
I have a tentative theory, completely pulled out of my ass, and that will sound offensive.

There’s an awful lot of misfits in these communities. After all, we’re talking about a subculture of the video gaming culture. A lot of the big names in the community that I saw performing in the past years (I don’t closely follow the speedrunning scene, I just watch GDQ) were/are young males with obvious social problems, if not downright on the spectrum. Couple that with a hobby that gives them their chance at celebrity, but is extremely nerdy and niche, and you can easily imagine most of these guys had virtually no mating chance at all.

The woke culture provided a “solution” for these people to keep getting respected, protected, and given attention.
The whole community and event going towards woke was probably necessary to keep some good players in the game.
Great thought. I think you could even dig deeper with that. Not only are they social misfits that have little to chance of finding a mate, they also see other niche sub groups attaining hard power and a victim complex. It allows them to power in this particular sub culture because in the real world they wouldn’t come anywhere near power. With that said, it it’s obvious that jocks are actually the good guys keeping insane nerds in their place. Keeping them in the lockers was actually doing society a favor. God bless jocks.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Anyway, as I predicted and hoped, the event is going smoothly without a crowd and all the associated drama.
There’s the occasional disappointing commentary, but what I’ve watched so far has been good and hassle-free.

Star Tropics was amazing. I know the game enough to hate it (never finished it, gave up at that ridiculous first UFO stage and even that comes after a metric ton of bullshit that should’ve been unacceptable for a 1990 game). The runner made everything seem a breeze, and that boss right with half a heart of energy left... whoa.

Megaman runs have also been fantastic. One-hit-KO buster-only MM1 and only two deaths? Incredible!
MM11 was simply bombastic. A true fireworks show.

Looking forward to tonight’s (Italy time) Metroid Prime 100%

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Games like Ultima VI fill me with a special kind of dread. The interface is... kinda eerie, and I am absolutely clueless at what’s going on. I don’t understand how PC people of the time could wrap their heads around stuff like this, and this was the bread and butter of PC gaming for a long time. Games like Ultima and the Sierra adventures, going round and round and round, clicking everywhere and banging your head endlessly at one impassable puzzle after another. Really shows that time had a different meaning back then, and PC game designers were the nerdiest nerds of the earth. Would be interesting to know just how many people could finish a game like this all by theirselves. As a lifetime console gamer, stuff like this is my kryptonite.

Woman7

Banned
When it comes to actual speedrunning, ESA is way better. More focus on the run(ners) and less on the woke shit. Also, no audience this year, so might as well just watch a random speedrunner on Youtube or Twitch regardless of the event.

All sounds quite quite toxic, I know, but the quality is just not there without the audience in a big hall. This plus the direction they tend to focus on makes it less interesting every year. There are always exceptions, of course. Still some runners left that are just there to run and show the game.

Thanks for the tip. The further aways from american wokeism the better.

Dthomp

There's a special place in hell for whatever idiot ok'd a Skyward Sword playthrough that is just some guy constantly resetting his system over and over again, todays lineup has been really boring tbh.

Dthomp

I thought I was a nerd til I watched AGDQ, I then realised im nowhere near one until I get some terrible tats, put on fishnets and a dress, danger hair myself, massive glasses, invert my dick, adopt baby voice, change name to dbz character by deedpole, slash my wrists up.

Yup, I guess I'm a normal nerd...cause these folk. DAMN!

There's been a couple of them dudes who call themselves her/she without putting any more effort then a wig on their heads, but this dude playing the Snow White game takes the cake, like I can't watch or listen, I'm just cringing seeing the stream....

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Long ago you put this on to protect yourself

373788f84a21334f365646e885ae57a2.jpg

Now to protect yourself you put on this

dxc26y0z7cs51.jpg

Bollocks

as funny as it is to shit on GDQ, I would rather they go back and focus on the speedrunning part and have higher standards. seems like nowadays if you fit the woke criteria you get a spot no matter what.
Like this snow white is just a waste of time, it looked very uncoordinated, there was literally nothing interesting.
I want to watch GDQ by people who have perfected their art, show of cool stuff/tricks, even if it is a niche game and are great commentators/entertainers etc
This snow white section had none of that and is everything that is wrong with GDQ nowadays

Dthomp

Man, these runners know they are going to be streamed to boatloads of people and have a shot to increase their twitch audience, and like less then 20% of them look like they bothered showering before getting on stream. This Alcatraz runner on right now, I'm fully expecting his mom to burst in and tell him to clean his fucking room.

Top Bottom