• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agartha for Dreamcast; the cancelled game just got three new builds this week

VGEsoterica

It's not often we get playable builds of cancelled games but 2021 seems to be the year for Dreamcast and horror games. First we got Castlevania Resurrection and now after three years suddenly three new builds of Agartha come to light! Hilarious because I literally talked about the game a month ago assuming the story behind it wouldn't change...and then it changed a ton!

Agartha has giant D2 vibes as well which intrigues me even more plus it adds in some occult / Crowley elements into what story actually exists in these three new builds. Huge bummer the game was cancelled when the Dreamcast died but now anyone curious about it / into betas can check it out and see what the game could have been.

I wonder what new beta for Dreamcast will come out in the back half of 2021! It's definitely the year of Dreamcast lolol

Somehow I thought that you meant someone started posting new builds on GihHub to resume development on the project.

I really like what you do!

VGEsoterica

Somehow I thought that you meant someone started posting new builds on GihHub to resume development on the project.

I really like what you do!
I wish. I would love to be able to play Agartha as it was planned! and thanks...appreciate it! Tons of fun talking about these obscure things

Aldynes

Great find, loved your video, I gotta say this game fascinated me back then, read somewhere that after the game got canned, Raynal and his team used to meet once every year to talk about the good old times and this game in particular, the whole concept of the game was centered on moral choices, to let the player be good or evil, the graphics and atmosphere were top notch for a Dreamcast game. When asked if we will one day get the game, Raynal said he no longer wanted to make Agartha, the main reason being that other games did offered a similar experience on letting the player make moral choices and it was no longer something new for the genre.

VGEsoterica

Great find, loved your video, I gotta say this game fascinated me back then, read somewhere that after the game got canned, Raynal and his team used to meet once every year to talk about the good old times and this game in particular, the whole concept of the game was centered on moral choices, to let the player be good or evil, the graphics and atmosphere were top notch for a Dreamcast game. When asked if we will one day get the game, Raynal said he no longer wanted to make Agartha, the main reason being that other games did offered a similar experience on letting the player make moral choices and it was no longer something new for the genre.
you can see that in the inventory menu too...good and evil bars. It would have certainly been intriguing to see how that played out. Sadly we never will

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Looks pretty neat. Would be very cool if this somehow becomes a completed game. Graphics are pretty decent. Was this planned for a 2001 release?

It kinda reminds me of Cursed Mountain:

Was a very mixed game, not exactly good, but snowy mountainous landscapes are still a very fresh setting for horror games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom