• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After ruining Android messaging, Google says iMessage is too powerful

I use three messaging apps: iMessage, WhatsApp and WeChat. First one to talk with my brother who also uses an iPhone, What'sApp for friends (but I truly avoid using WhatsApp, it's such a fucking boring messaging app) and WeChat most of the time.

iMessage is good, I don't understand the hate. But I also don't understand why people strictly use iMessage and look down on people with green bubbles.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
No, it's an OPEN standard. Probably another reason why Apple don't want to use it.

edit: Also, just to ask, you DO know if Apple were to migrate over to the newer standard, near enough NOTHING would change for you right? You wouldn't be losing any features, etc, your service would remain the same, only now it would be using standards that Android and other OS's use so there would be no "green bubble" effect going on, and that you'll be able to send files, photos, stickers, etc, to anyone regardless of phone platform right? Why is that a bad thing?

Because the iPhone cult wants to stand apart from everyone else! Meanwhile, they're just all cloning each other with their iPhone-ness.

And you raise valid points!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I never got into these phone wars because I can give two shits about them really. I just find it funny seeing android users tell iPhone users to use apps for no beneficial reason.
I hear ya.

I just use the company iPhone I get. I've had a company Samsung flip phone, and various Blackberries and iPhones over the years. I have no personal mobile phone. Who gives a shit.

I call people, I text people, I email, check sports scores, stocks, Shazam if I hear a song, and a few other boring apps like Gmail and dating apps. And of course I got McDonalds on here. lol. I delete as many Apple icons I can from the home page I dont use.

Phone wars were hilarious during the mid 2000s when Razrs were out. Suddenly everyone at the office is spending like $500 on personal Razrs and I'm using some shitty silver Samsung phone. Then a few years later, iPhones are the rage and nobody cared about Razrs.

gatti-man

No, it's an OPEN standard. Probably another reason why Apple don't want to use it.

edit: Also, just to ask, you DO know if Apple were to migrate over to the newer standard, near enough NOTHING would change for you right? You wouldn't be losing any features, etc, your service would remain the same, only now it would be using standards that Android and other OS's use so there would be no "green bubble" effect going on, and that you'll be able to send files, photos, stickers, etc, to anyone regardless of phone platform right? Why is that a bad thing?
It’s what google uses after getting smoked by iMessage. Just because it’s open doesn’t remove google from it. I can already do everything you said plus more with iMessage why would I want to use an inferior open source thing just so android people can be incognito and avoid green bubbles?

YCoCg

It’s what google uses after getting smoked by iMessage. Just because it’s open doesn’t remove google from it. I can already do everything you said plus more with iMessage why would I want to use an inferior open source thing just so android people can be incognito and avoid green bubbles?
So you're against something that would unify services and bring more features all because if tribalism?

ape2man

lmao

BzRFBkL.png
Yea, i double checked. i was wrong... you where right.

This doesn't even make any sense, supporting an open standard benefits you, not Android users. You are the one who is obsessed with the color of bubbles, and by Apple adopting an open standard you will never have to worry about seeing a different colored bubble again. Android users don't give a shit about the bubble because they don't even see it. An open standard gets you what you want, no different colored bubbles.

Banned

anyone else surprised that fucking Lenovo has a higher market share than OnePlus in the US? wtf? who the fuck buys a fucking Lenovo phone? don't they only do those shitty and badly put together "gamer" phones and on the side try to sell wannabe Motorolas?

Lognor

Banned
I have android. Two of my friends I text with have iPhone. They are always so impressed that I can send gifs so easily. There's a button on the keyboard. They need to go to a gif site, download the gif and then upload it to the text. What the fuck? That seems antiquated. Definitely going to stick with Android for that alone!

Banned
I have android. Two of my friends I text with have iPhone. They are always so impressed that I can send gifs so easily. There's a button on the keyboard. They need to go to a gif site, download the gif and then upload it to the text. What the fuck? That seems antiquated. Definitely going to stick with Android for that alone!

yo Apple users... is this for real?

Last edited:

k_trout

coloured text bubbles as a measurement of status? - the amazing things an old fart like me can learn on neogaf

Serge85

In my south american country, everyone uses whatsapp, You don't have to ask what messaging app they have, you just text them.

Tams

I never got into these phone wars because I can give two shits about them really. I just find it funny seeing android users tell iPhone users to use apps for no beneficial reason.
Well you've jumped in now.

And with an ignorant opinion too. Do you know why people use other chat apps? Because it lets them communicate with everyone without issues. It really only is the US (and apparently Australia - becoming a mini-US anyway) that have a massive hard-on for iMessage.

Batiman

Banned
Well you've jumped in now.

And with an ignorant opinion too. Do you know why people use other chat apps? Because it lets them communicate with everyone without issues. It really only is the US (and apparently Australia - becoming a mini-US anyway) that have a massive hard-on for iMessage.
I’m in Canada BTW. No one makes a big deal out of this shit from my experience. Most people I know use iPhones.I just have a few friends at work bugging me to get what’sApp every other day.

Last edited:

YCoCg

I’m in Canada BTW. No one makes a big deal out of this shit from my experience. Most people I know use iPhones.I just have a few friends at work bugging me to get what’sApp every other day.
So you DO give a shit then because as an iPhone user you see these people asking you to get a universal app (because Apple won't support a universal standard) as "bugging" you.

Batiman

Banned
So you DO give a shit then because as an iPhone user you see these people asking you to get a universal app (because Apple won't support a universal standard) as "bugging" you.
They never give me a reason to do so though.

Osaka_Boss

I don't know a single person that uses what's app. But I'm American.
You guys never had the need to, because sms was always bundled and inexpensive. Most countries the sms was overcharged and exploited by mobile companies. Once 3G and smartphones hit the market, we freed ourselves from them. And now that they are like in the US, people are way to attached to the QoL and environment to stop using them.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
That’s not true in the slightest. Not even close.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
As someone from the EU who owns a Galaxy this really makes me laugh, I assume its for those tinder types that this creates issues for.

Synless

Lol, wut? This is not true. I’ve been an iPhone user for years. It’s integrated into messages.

Lognor

Banned
Lol, wut? This is not true. I’ve been an iPhone user for years. It’s integrated into messages.
Okay, maybe the issue is they aren't using messages. My one friend lives out in a remote area with shit reception so we always use Google Hangouts (or whatever the fuck Google calls it now) so he can chat over wifi.

You said it's integrated into messages. Is it not accessible outside of that? Is there not a gif button on they keyboard? I can throw a gif into anything. It's built into the keyboard I'm using and works perfectly.

Synless

Okay, maybe the issue is they aren't using messages. My one friend lives out in a remote area with shit reception so we always use Google Hangouts (or whatever the fuck Google calls it now) so he can chat over wifi.

You said it's integrated into messages. Is it not accessible outside of that? Is there not a gif button on they keyboard? I can throw a gif into anything. It's built into the keyboard I'm using and works perfectly.
No, not outside of messages. Maybe a third party keyboard, but not the native one. iMessage has all the perks built in though.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Frankly, it's disgusting that you call consumers a cult because of their purchasing choices.

When someone's entire identity is centered around being "master race Apple", that the iPhone or Apple in general doesn't have flaws or breaks down and folks actively refer to you as 'poor' or 'lacking vision' because you have an Android phone... It sounds kinda cultish or at least clique-ish.

If simple and out of the way is how you like your electronics, then iPhone is perfect for you. Roll with it! But it's something ELSE when you troll folks for choosing something other than Apple products.

It's the console wars all over again... Just more weird.

Lognor

Banned
No, not outside of messages. Maybe a third party keyboard, but not the native one. iMessage has all the perks built in though.
You can use messages on wifi or no? We used to group text but he never got messages until he came into the city. Lol. So we switched to Google hangouts. Not sure how messages works with other iPhones vs non ios devices

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
When someone's entire identity is centered around being "master race Apple", that the iPhone or Apple in general doesn't have flaws or breaks down and folks actively refer to you as 'poor' or 'lacking vision' because you have an Android phone... It sounds kinda cultish or at least clique-ish.

If simple and out of the way is how you like your electronics, then iPhone is perfect for you. Roll with it! But it's something ELSE when you troll folks for choosing something other than Apple products.

It's the console wars all over again... Just more weird.

Your entire identity right now is about you being "master race" because you don't use Apple... you're trolling folks for choosing Apple.

Just saying ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom