• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After ruining Android messaging, Google says iMessage is too powerful

ManaByte

Gold Member

Google took to Twitter this weekend to complain that iMessage is just too darn influential with today's kids. The company was responding to a Wall Street Journal report detailing the lock-in and social pressure Apple's walled garden is creating among US teens. iMessage brands texts from iPhone users with a blue background and gives them additional features, while texts from Android phones are shown in green and only have the base SMS feature set. According to the article, "Teens and college students said they dread the ostracism that comes with a green text. The social pressure is palpable, with some reporting being ostracized or singled out after switching away from iPhones." Google feels this is a problem.

Google clearly views iMessage's popularity as a problem, and the company is hoping this public-shaming campaign will get Apple to change its mind on RCS. But Google giving other companies advice on a messaging strategy is a laughable idea since Google probably has the least credibility of any tech company when it comes to messaging services. If the company really wants to do something about iMessage, it should try competing with it.

Tschumi

I understand that some people live in a different technological ecosystem but i haven't sent a data message more than once in the last 4 months, I'm WhatsApp for voice messaging with overseas family and Line for bae and sundry

T8SC

I think in Europe yes. But most people I know only use text

61--8gptnIL._AC_SY355_.jpg

Thaedolus

Gold Member
If I send a video out to the fam on iMessage, it's either leave my mom out or send out some shtity downgraded quality video because mom's not on an iPhone yet.

Loophole: I just send it to her iPad, so she'll see it a week later.

Boo fucking hoo, Google. You’ve had YEARS to put out an iMessage competitor. I actually can’t remember all the chat apps they’ve had. It’s been a mess. Hangouts was kinda cool for a while. Is Duo still around?

if they want to compete then it’s a good thing Android is the most popular OS in the world….I don’t know maybe decide on ONE app to focus on. build it into the next Android version and make it available on all Android devices. Not just pixels but Samsungs and all the other makes. Heck make an iOS version…a Windows version and a Mac OS version. if They cant manage that then what’s the point of being one of the biggest and richest tech companies?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
After years on iPhone (I think the last Android phone I had was in 2012 or 2013), picking up an Android phone and trying to use the texting app immediately takes me back a decade if not more. Google has no one to blame but themselves for the sorry state of messaging on their devices.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
They shoot themselves in the foot constantly. How many separate messaging apps have they created and killed?

Don't most people use other apps these days? I'm sure there's a popular one ... Whats the app called?
Carrier pigeon.
pigeon GIF

Anyone who cares what brand phone u have deserves a wedgie

Teens are dumb
How to tell me you're an Android user without telling me you're an Android user.

Last edited:
Green bubbles just mean sms and apple had it between its users in the beginning.

People are thinking Apple uses blue for IOS users and green for non IOS users, not true. RCS is not encrypted and it's old, Apple shouldn't support it.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Anyone who cares what brand phone u have deserves a wedgie

Teens are dumb
Don’t care about the brand. I do care about being able to txt full uncompressed images and videos though which is why imsg is so great and android sucks balls. Balls I say!! \high five team Apple!

😂

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Google messages is actually pretty feature complete. Only thing that's stopping them from being a complete iMessage clone/competitor is video because they're still bound by video limitations in SMS/MMS.

OTHERWISE, I can search for and send gifs, voice messages, and more.

CDCdJBr.jpg

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Green bubbles just mean sms and apple had it between its users in the beginning.

People are thinking Apple uses blue for IOS users and green for non IOS users, not true. RCS is not encrypted and it's old, Apple shouldn't support it.
In like 99% of the cases if you’re sending a message to another iPhone it defaults to iMessage and will be blue. If you’ve got spotty coverage or whatever, yeah, it’ll go through over SMS, but in almost all other cases it’s because you’re messaging a non Apple user and feel all peasant-y

And lots of people still use the message reactions in group texts with android users, so each time they do it quotes the entire text they reacted to. Now THAT is a text crime we need to start talking about more in this country

Last edited:
In like 99% of the cases if you’re sending a message to another iPhone it defaults to iMessage and will be blue. If you’ve got spotty coverage or whatever, yeah, it’ll go through over SMS, but in almost all other cases it’s because you’re messaging a non Apple user and feel all peasant-y
Call it peasant-y or not it just means sms.

iMessage came out around 2010 and RCS was out 3 or so years before that and Apple has improved on its service almost yearly. Android's messaging is a mess and Google should fix that themselves.

MayauMiao

Google clearly views iMessage's popularity as a problem, and the company is hoping this public-shaming campaign will get Apple to change its mind on RCS

Good luck getting people to public-shaming Apple when its an issue related to entitled kids upset about the color of their text bubble.

Peer pressure? Tell the kids to harden the fuck up.

It sucks because the images and videos come out looking like trash, not because the bubble is green.

Doesn't Messages (default messaging app for Android) force RCS? RCS is great. If Apple doesn't want to play nice, so be it.

Tams

Gold Member
Don't most people use other apps these days? I'm sure there's a popular one ... Whats the app called?
Yeah, but many Americans have this weird obsession with iMessage.

Years ago it was one of the few decent mobile options (though frankly, there were apps for other IMs around on mobile devices from pretty much the beginning), but these days it's just inertia.

There are plenty of options (hell, even Skype is available on more devices) and as much as LINE annoys me at times, it is available in exactly the same way on pretty much every modern device.

Kev Kev

I do hope everyone understands I’m joking about the peasant stuff. There are pros and cons for each ecosystem, and people like what they like, nobody really cares.
nah man youre good, i was more talking about OP. he rarely ever posts anything positive or genuinely helpful. he only chimes in when there is an opportunity to criticize someone else, or when he feels hes right and their wrong as if its his duty to correct them, or inserts himself into a controversy or argument, or in this case actually starts the controversy/argument.

listen, im no stranger to shit posting and being a little controversial (and a fair bit of that is healthy for the forum, no doubt), but i also try to balance that out with helpful posts, words of kindness, gratitude and encouragement, and just generally being a positive helpful member in the community. and i just dont see much of that that from certain people on this board, sometimes i dont see it at all from them. instead i see shit like this.

but hey its a discussion board and its just for fun and were all just fucking around, so no biggie. but it would be nice to see some more selflessness around here, and certain members actually be more uplifting to others and contribute some positive stuff to the community...

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
I have friends and family in Europe who use Viber, WhatsApp, and FB Messenger. Even if they have an iPhone.

I miss BBM tho, those were the days.

dem

When you get a picture/video sent to you from an android user

what is that GIF

I don't understand how Google hasn't just ripped of iMessage already

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Me too. My family members, most of them are on android, few on iPhone but we all communicate with Whatsapp.
All the women in the family have iPhones
I say the original difference is some media stuff I send don't show on iPhone for some reason

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

what is that GIF

Both are shit
Tried sending a HQ image to a iPhone user and they just got a error image can't be displayed.
Sent it to Samsung Galaxy and it compressed it but at least they got it.

MayauMiao

Its really ironic that Google complains iMessaging is a form of bullying, yet they have no problem trying to public shame Apple.

Google's "Don't be evil" my ass.

Tams

Gold Member

what is that GIF

I don't understand why you don't just use WhatsApp, Viber, LINE, Facebook Messenger, even fucking Skype.

Bbbbb...but privacy! They all use encryption. If you really care about that then there's Telegram or Signal. And if they really want to get you, they'll either get your messages somehow or something else incriminating some other way. Plus, no one really cares about your cock pics that much.

Hari Seldon

I don't understand why you don't just use WhatsApp, Viber, LINE, Facebook Messenger, even fucking Skype.

Bbbbb...but privacy! They all use encryption. If you really care about that then there's Telegram or Signal. And if they really want to get you, they'll either get your messages somehow or something else incriminating some other way. Plus, no one really cares about your cock pics that much.
Do they talk to people who don't have those apps? If not then there is your answer.

Top Bottom