• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After Nearly Six Months in the Next Gen, Anyone Else Finding it Hard to Go Back to 30fps?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I'll take FPS over resolution any day of the week, but 30 FPS doesn't make or break a game.
Yeah I do not see anyone being crazy enough to pass MSFS on XSX because of the framerate. The hitches needs fixing, but when the game’s framerate stays at the 30 FPS target it is super fine.

i must say i do love scrolling through these comments on my 144hz monitor. good to see console players learning what they missed out on. i wish more games on the PS5/XSX ran at 120hz though. that'd blow your mind and you'd see what you're still missing out on.

i get pissed off if a game goes below 120fps. 90fps is the minimum for me. if a game can't run 90fps then i probably won't bother playing it. 60fps isn't fun at all and i'd only put up with that if it was a game i really really wanted to play but i'd probably have to turn my monitor down to 30hz for a while so that when i put it to 60hz it feels like an improvement :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
i must say i do love scrolling through these comments on my 144hz monitor. good to see console players learning what they missed out on. i wish more games on the PS5/XSX ran at 120hz though. that'd blow your mind and you'd see what you're still missing out on.

i get pissed off if a game goes below 120fps. 90fps is the minimum for me. if a game can't run 90fps then i probably won't bother playing it. 60fps isn't fun at all and i'd only put up with that if it was a game i really really wanted to play but i'd probably have to turn my monitor down to 30hz for a while so that when i put it to 60hz it feels like an improvement :messenger_tears_of_joy:

cat too cool for school GIF by Product Hunt

TonyK

My only problem with 30fps is if the game allows a 60fps mode. Then, by comparison, 30fps feels choppy. But if the game is only in 30fps I don't have any problem enjoying it.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
My only problem with 30fps is if the game allows a 60fps mode. Then, by comparison, 30fps feels choppy. But if the game is only in 30fps I don't have any problem enjoying it.

Yeah you also have to be a little smart about it if you're sensitive to framerates. Playing a JRPG @30fps for instance would be less grating than say Doom Eternal..

Kerotan

I mean on a game with the 60fps option then yeah I can't go back to 30. But I was back playing payday 2 last night. First time in over 12 months. And it was absolutely fine at 30fps. In fact it feels better then ever because I'm pretty sure it never maintained a steady 30fps on ps4.

Markio128

I played Spider-Man and R&C at 30 FPS - both were great. I’m currently playing MS FS at 30 FPS and that is great. Not sure how I’ll play FH 5, depends on how the performance mode affects the visuals, however, racing games are generally much better at 60 FPS.

Rayderism

Honestly, I've never really been obsessed with, or concerned by, framerates or resolutions. Yes, I can see the difference, but I only care that the game is fun to play, not how hard it stresses the hardware.

Maybe I just have a high tolerance or whatever, but those aspects have just never been all that important to me. I've been gaming since gen1 and have experienced truly atrocious graphics and framerates through the generations. Despite that, it always came down to whether the game was actually fun to play, and VERY RARELY was it ever the framerate or resolution they ran at that determined my enjoyment.

Knightime_X

30fps has been hard to go back to since the 1900's.
I just tolerate it on the games I really want to play.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Meh. I try out the performance modes and then switch it back to visual mode after an hour or two. I like the enhanced details more on my OLED and I get used to either framerate and stop noticing after a few minutes

Merkades

Nope. But I feel like were are finally at the thresh hold on resolution (1440p) where I prefer 60fps rather than more resolution. That said, after 60fps I would go back to resolution (and vfx) rather than more frames. I have a monitor that is 144/155 hz and I have played some games above 60 and yeah, I can live with 60 (or 30 really). I will probably never understand the peeps demanding 120+ frames, though make no mistake, I will take advantage of what I have/want*, even if I am not afflicted by low or unstable fps. My issues are AA, AF and tearing.

*I'm still looking to buy a 3080+

Try streaming a 30fps game, lol, dont get ms, they want to push streaming but they must know 30fps streaming is unplayable. they should have mandated all games running on xsx must run at 60fps.

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
If you get to 40-45 there really is not notable difference to 60 IMO. But thats just my observation. im currently playing RDR2 online and the difficulty is so pussy it makes no difference.

bender

What time is it?
cosign

and im saying this as a PC gamer with both a series X and PS5

as long as its a solid 30 with no jitter

I'm must be immune to frame pacing. The biggest two examples I can think of are Mario Kart Wii U and Bloodborne. Screen tearing is really the only thing that really bothers me.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It depends. Some games have a certain look, style of animation, and effective use of motion blur that makes 30 fps perfectly acceptable (Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart comes to mind). Others I simply can no longer go back to because they look so choppy, like Horizon Zero Dawn.

xPikYx

I play on PC many games at 30fps, if they are adventure, or Single player games I push as much as I can on quality,30fos are fine, for competitive games I play 144fps, for driving game minimum 60fps

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Welcome to the life of explaining 120hz+ and how that's also a game changer for more smooth/responsive gameplay.

I had this conversation a few days back talking about this and how we can play Rocket League but I had to play it on PC vs console. It's not a smooth 60 at all and is jarring going from 120 locked to not quite 60 with fluctuations.

Top Bottom