• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After Nearly Six Months in the Next Gen, Anyone Else Finding it Hard to Go Back to 30fps?

Just depends on the game.

Spider-Man: Remastered feels smooth and fluid in 30fps Fidelity mode.

Control feels like ass in 30fps Graphics Mode.

it’s just a game to game thing for me

Calverz

30fps is sheer trash. Once gears 5 came out with 60fps i decided to sell my ps4 pro and wait to play all their big excluisves at 60fps.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I can't play 30 FPS games anymore at all. Will be interesting how the biggest 30fps offenders will handle their big AAA releases this gen.

Freeman76

Yeah I cant do it. I bought WD:L and havent got more than an hour in because I expected it to be 60fps like AC:V! I'm hoping MS can work their magic to cover lazy devs arses.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Open world games need better FPS in years we’ll stop talking about frames per second and have perfect games.

Were 60fps games invented in 2020 or something?

I get that you now have the option to slap it on almost everything but presumably you've been playing 60fps games and then going back to some at 30fps for a long time

My answer is no, because of the above, I've been playing stuff at 30/60/higher for years, Miles Morales still felt great in quality mode the first time I played through the game
Shit man, if you started gaming in the 5th gen you've been going from 20fps with dips to 60fps lol. I don't get the "I can't handle 30fps" cats. Only exception for me is a bayonetta/Devil may cry style action game, one of the reasons I didn't like Astral chain (besides being bootleg anime bayonetta) was 30fps. Or fighters at 30fps, though what fighter is 30fps nowadays?

Even 30fps racers i'm cool with, like project gotham racing or driveclub.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Not really no. I've played a mix of 30 fps and 60 fps games for years. Going from 120 fps (in Siege) to 30 in other games is a little much, but nothing I can't get used to and enjoy the game. Jumping between 30fps and 60fps modes within the game itself is more difficult for me.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

Arkam

Non issue here. Its like going from Symmetrical to asymmetrical analog sticks. There is an initial "shock" due to relative (physicals) novelty of the experience. But after a little time it feels natural again.

If going from 60fps to 30fps was an issue I would never have a chance on PC since my games run wildly different.

Consoles are so far behind the curve that didn't realize most pc gamers have moved well beyond 60fps. 60 is the bare minimum anymore. It's practically the new 30. The fact that people are still wallowing in the sludge of 30 fps is sad.

Stuart360

Consoles are so far behind the curve that didn't realize most pc gamers have moved well beyond 60fps. 60 is the bare minimum anymore. It's practically the new 30. The fact that people are still wallowing in the sludge of 30 fps is sad.
I still play at 60fps on PC, mainly because i'm a couch gamer due to a back problem, and game on a 60hz tv. Plus i also like the nice medium between a solid 60fps, and high settings/resolution.
You're are spot on though, 60fps is seen as the bare minimum on PC now.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I have no issue, I played bunch of games on 60FPS but I can still fully enjoy game that runs at 30FPS no problem.

R6Rider

Gold Member

This is completely false.

At least you tried.

But earlier this month when Sony gave out the 2014 Ratchet and Clank I figured I'd load it up and finally finish/platinum it before the PS5 game comes out in June...and it felt like a slog at 30fps. After being spoiled by next-gen and almost everything (looking at you Watch_Dogs: Legion) having a 60fps option, it's just not easy going back to 30fps gaming.
Going back and forth between the two makes 30fps feels broken. However, when you game mostly on console you can kind of get used to it (as you were before).

I want Naughty Dog to deliver Uncharted 4 60fps like they promised (but on the PS4).

Rickyiez

This is completely false.

At least you tried.
He's not entirely wrong really. At least in fast paced MP games like Apex , Warzone, PoE or even Dota, 60fps actually feels sluggish. I can't even imagine playing at anything less than 100fps anymore on these titles.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
No. 60FPS is overrated as fuck.

Im hoping devs cut that shit out and go with 30FPS + better fidelity.

dyergram

Yea same I was enjoying shadow of war on the PS4 pro I tried to go back on my ps5 and it felt terrible. Same with red dead I didn’t finish it on PS4 tried to go back on ps5 it feels like slow motion.

jm89

I only found it an issue if I switched between 30fps to 60fps on the same game, I played jedi fallen order on 60 and switching to 30 felt really bad, almost unplayable. Then I played vampyr which is fixed to 30fps and it was alright.

Reizo Ryuu

Not me i can't go back to 60fps Devil May Cry anymore after experiencing RayTraced mode 👌👍
Tell me you're joking...
throw up i feel sick GIF by The Detour
Vomiting I Feel Sick GIF

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
PC gamers: Who the hell is 30fps?
More like wtf is 60fps?

buying a high refresh rate monitor was the best thing I done. it’s so funny and cute seeing consoles owners finally experience 60fps. I’m thinking urgh I really can’t go back to 60fps now after playing at 162fps (165hz monitor)

I mean 60fps is not terrible but it’s like the absolute bare minimum. Of course I can’t expect every game to run at a solid 162fps. 120fps is acceptable but if it drops to 80fps that’s when it really starts to annoy me. Going below that just hurts my eyes.

Last edited:
Not at all, I've been playing games at various framerates my whole life.

Personally, it comes off to me as snobbish/shallow that once someone experiences something premium they have trouble returning to what they were fine with for years. I enjoy an expensive Steak on special occasions, but knowing what it tastes like doesn't stop me from also enjoying cheap Burgers.

DJTHEGREY

I love how smooth 60 FPS feels.... But I wouldn't say it's hard to go back to 30 FPS. It's a noticable difference tho especially if you started with 60fps and switched back to 30fps. I do prefer performance mode over quality mode.

Depends almost completely on the game. I recently restarted Dark Souls and apparently the 30 fps lock was still on. Didn't bother me for a second and I only noticed because of some less smooth camera panning.

Something with quick combat and precision aiming like Horizon Zero Dawn at 30 fps on PS4 though? Not a very nice experience.

skit_data

Depends on the game. Played TLOU2 and Bloodborne at 30fps, works very well. Played Demons Souls at 30 fps, oh the horror!

Pejo

For some genres I'm indifferent about it, but for any game that's action oriented, it's absolutely must-have since I made PC my primary gaming platform about 6-7 years ago.

Playing MH Rise has been killing me with its low FPS and worse graphics than World. It's a good thing the art direction is pretty great, or it'd hit even worse.

As long as the game is a smooth, consistent 30, no, I don't have any problems going back. If it's not, it takes me a bit to get adjusted, but I get there after a few minutes.

gypsygib

I wish I could still appreciate 60FPS. Now I need at least 90 to get that very smooth feeling. 60FPS with perfect frametime is fine but it's about as acceptable as 30FPS was to me before getting into PC gaming...looks fine but definitely way too blurry.

It would be hard for me to enjoy a game at 30FPS now. I could if the game was amazing, but the graphics/performance would be a constant detraction from my enjoyment.

switching between the 30 and 60 on Spiderman and Control is jarring as fuck but once you play 30 for a bit I get used to it again. Still prefer 60 but its not a deal breaker either way.

Meowzers

I grew up with consoles that were 30fps, but since I got my XSX and seeing more at 60fps it's really been a great experience.

I liked Wreckfest before the update, but now it's amazing. Couch racing in 60fps is hella fun.

I went to play shadow of war and instantly deleted it because of 30fps. Game looks like actual shit and no better than Mordor which was cross gen with ps360 gen..

The animations are so bad the game didn’t even feel like 30fps more like mid 20s.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Not a console, but on PC. Depends on the input method. Controller it doesn't matter. With a mouse I notice anything under 90 fps. The 30 fps cutscenes in Persona 5 Strikers look horrible though.

I still play Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on N64 though so...

Last edited:
Top Bottom