• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After multiple console generations, why do some gamers continue to praise certain exclusives while downplaying others before playing either?

EDMIX

You are a broken record. Go miscontrue someone else's OP. I'm done with you.

People are allowed to like what they like and dislike what they feel like.

You don't control that. That isn't some mysterious conspiracy or something.

Eternal21 Eternal21 Watch out, you are not allowed to like things if it hurts others people's feelings apparently.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Experience.
Nintendo makes games I love. So does Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Kojima, Japan Studios, Sucker Punch, Insomniac.

Bungie doesn’t make Halo anymore, and MS hasn’t made that many new AAA Story driven games and thats what I like. Sunset Overdrive was cool as was Quantum Break.

You can’t compare the output of certain developers/studios to others, its not all fanboyism lol. Numbers talk

John Day

Developer’s pedigree, genre tastes, tried and true formulas or series... i mean, it’s rather obvious why people have bias towards some games and not others. It’s no mistery really.

MiguelItUp

I just blame it on rampant fanboyism. It's ridiculous. You can go through all forms of media and communities and see it at play and it's always incredibly eyerolling. Especially when they are people 25+ acting so obnoxious about it.

It's like the equivalent of "I know you are, but what am I!" or "My mom/dad is better than your mom/dad!"

Just like the thing(s) you're gonna like, and who cares if people don't like it. You like it, and that's all that matters. But also accept that people like things you that you may not, no reason to be shitty about it.

lock2k

Banned
Nah, the truest supreme divinities are low/middle range pc gamers and old console collectors.
They've surpassed mortals and achieved enlightment by reaching the true essence of gaming by having actual fun instead of fussing about SSDs, teraflops and armchair business analysis.

Virtual high five! You get it.

lock2k

Banned
I just blame it on rampant fanboyism. It's ridiculous. You can go through all forms of media and communities and see it at play and it's always incredibly eyerolling. Especially when they are people 25+ acting so obnoxious about it.

It's like the equivalent of "I know you are, but what am I!" or "My mom/dad is better than your mom/dad!"

Just like the thing(s) you're gonna like, and who cares if people don't like it. You like it, and that's all that matters. But also accept that people like things you that you may not, no reason to be shitty about it.

One time I went down the rabbit hole of visiting mobile phone sites and the fanboyism was similar as in gaming but even more ridiculous. Arguing over the better phone is like being the beta of fanboyism, it's so fucking ridiculous - pure cringe. It surely didn't help me with my nihilism afterwards. lol

MiguelItUp

One time I went down the rabbit hole of visiting mobile phone sites and the fanboyism was similar as in gaming but even more ridiculous. Arguing over the better phone is like being the beta of fanboyism, it's so fucking ridiculous - pure cringe. It surely didn't help me with my nihilism afterwards. lol
Oh dude, I believe it. I've had so many folks that were Apple fans try to get at me for having Android phones, lol. Even in person, lmao. I was like, "Uhhh, I just prefer them?" You'd think that would be the end of it, but they just kept going until I was like, "Dude, really, there are so many more interesting things we can talk about. I'm glad you prefer Apple so much, I'm happy for you, but you're not going to change how I feel." Lmao.

lock2k

Banned
Oh dude, I believe it. I've had so many folks that were Apple fans try to get at me for having Android phones, lol. Even in person, lmao. I was like, "Uhhh, I just prefer them?" You'd think that would be the end of it, but they just kept going until I was like, "Dude, really, there are so many more interesting things we can talk about. I'm glad you prefer Apple so much, I'm happy for you, but you're not going to change how I feel." Lmao.
Yeah, exactly.

My brother is exactly like that, he is so stupid and annoying, he'll be like "smartphones that aren't Apple aren't phones" - he would gladly swallow Steve Jobs frozen poop if Apple branded it and sold it.

MiguelItUp

Yeah, exactly.

My brother is exactly like that, he is so stupid and annoying, he'll be like "smartphones that aren't Apple aren't phones" - he would gladly swallow Steve Jobs frozen poop if Apple branded it and sold it.
Hahaha. I think it's hilarious when those people meet folks that have no preference whatsoever, it's almost like they gasp so hard that their soul leaves their body.

I get the same vibes when talking about game consoles and basically being asked, "What side are you on?" When I respond with no side, I play and appreciate everything, it looks as if their world is shattered.

lock2k

Banned
Hahaha. I think it's hilarious when those people meet folks that have no preference whatsoever, it's almost like they gasp so hard that their soul leaves their body.

I get the same vibes when talking about game consoles and basically being asked, "What side are you on?" When I respond with no side, I play and appreciate everything, it looks as if their world is shattered.

Yeah, it's funny that I'm like you, with phones or games, I've owned consoles from every manufacturer and also PC (I'm playing more PC right now but no master race behaving shit, just enjoying games) and I also had Apple phones and Android phones and I don't really care or have an attachment either way. I have several franchises I love but I don't care where I play them.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I tried many games that ultimately I had to give up on. Witcher 3, Zelda BotW, Halo 5, Gears 5, FFVII remake, etc. So many flagpole games that just were not worth the effort.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Same reason the circumcision thread is at 7 pages right now.

Aidah

Forget about exclusives in particular. Just generally, unless something is completely new, or intentionally a drastically different franchise entry, or from an unknown, you can predict to a very reasonable level of accuracy whether you'll like a game based on video material, the type of game it is, the main people behind it, past entries in the franchise...etc.

EDMIX

Forget about exclusives in particular. Just generally, unless something is completely new, or intentionally a drastically different franchise entry, or from an unknown, you can predict to a very reasonable level of accuracy whether you'll like a game based on video material, the type of game it is, the main people behind it, past entries in the franchise...etc.

THANK YOU! Its not like someone is simply blindly saying they hate company xyz. If someone doesn't buy Call Of Duty, it doesn't mean they are a EA fanboy because they like Battlefield. I feel gamers have more legit reasons to hate or like a game then simply a company.

Not all teams hit it out of the park solely based on their last title, its on a game by game basis. If people where just buy games based on companies alone, every fucking sequel by default would be successful so clearly we know even games vary on how consumers like them on a game by game basis.

Bodomism

Banned
OP, can you please suggest me an Xbox One S/X exclusive to play? Not Ori, since i ve played them on Switch.
Can you name some PlayStation 4/5 exclusives with the same score(97 metascore) as these games below?
2124281_0.jpg

After being in the PlayStation console ecosystem forever I had the chance to check out the grass on the other side. In mid-2008 my launch PS3 lost its bluray drive (actually damaged the bluray disc it was running at the time, surprising the tech guy on the phone). With my PS3 going on a 3 week round trip and myself going through some bad personal stuff, I picked up a 360 to keep my sanity. I played through Halo 1, 2, and 3 (hype justified). Played and enjoyed the first two Gears of War (plain fun to play). Tried Dead Rising (not my bag but could see the appeal). Might have been a couple more in there somewhere? After a while I used the 360 less and less until Alan Wake came out. Enjoyed the hell out of Alan Wake and absolutely hated the ending being sold separately as DLC. Those couple of years was my only experience with MS and their ecosystem and it was pretty good. Would never have had a 360 at all without a broken PS3 so thanks for that Sony ;)

I don't understand the mentality behind defending or attacking games because of their platform.

If the game is awful or a masterpiece react accordingly.

Never played it? Quiet you!

petran79

Banned
i dont think thats it. SONY just managed to grow over time a unique type of demented fanbase that simply idolizes the company. They dont hype ps exclusives to justify their purchase. They hype them because they treat sony as a real person, a family member that succeds. They feel like a personal win. The metacritic scores and reviewers in general are laughed at and mocked pretty much in the entire world. Yet, on reeera and here the MC is worn like a badge of honor on the chest if its good. If its a poor reviewed game like The Order or Days Gone its because the journos were anti sony. If its a regular ass game in the 80's like spiderman or horizon we have made those wallappers that plaster the scores all over and they cherry pick only the 10's and 9's from every obscure blog written by a 19 yrs old between classes and make the game sound as if it got a 98 MC instead of 85.

I honestly dont know why they're like this. No other fanbase compares

With tlous2 they treat them also like a political party fighting for their rights.

After a while you start to notice some patterns in publisher's habits, platform holders are not immune to soiling their name after a couple of years of bad decisions.

I used to be excited for every Konami release, for every Sega release, for every Nintendo (I see what people love their games, they're just not for me) release... MS had its days, but that ended over 10 or 12 years ago, who knows, they could turn this ship around, unlike Nintendo, I have no respect for ms as a publisher.

Raonak

Banned
lolwut. not all exclusives are made the same.

you can't put a crackdown 3 against a spiderman.

quality of the exclusives matters a lot.
and developer pedigree matter a lot.

some developers keep making bonafied hits.
some developers elevate themselves.
some developers don't.

It's not even an exclusive thing either. you can generally tell how good a game will be during the press cycle.
People are(were) hyped af for cyberpunk but pretty lukewarm on watch dogs.

It's only natural to treat different unreleased games, with different levels of expectation depending on the developer.

Top Bottom