• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After multiple console generations, why do some gamers continue to praise certain exclusives while downplaying others before playing either?

I understand being excited to play a new game but I hate it when some gamers talk about certain exclusives as though they are guaranteed to be masterpieces and then they will talk with concern and disappointment about another company's exclusives because the fact is, unless you've played any of these exclusives (the actual upcoming games, not the previous works), you don't know for sure what will be a 10/10 or a 5/10.

It is okay to like certain developers and publishers - we all have our go-to platforms and how we like to play. Just don't act like the developers and publishers aren't capable of failure and don't act like the competition isn't capable of succeeding. For all you know some of these launch games will fall short but you want to believe they will be 9/10s and 10/10s based on what you saw instead of actually playing it? I mean, gamers give game journalists crap for giving bad games good scores and good games bad scores but fanboys are just as bad praising certain exclusives while downplaying others before they even release!

Time will dictate whether or not any of these upcoming exclusives really do end up being masterpieces. When you go into a new game believing it will be this great experience, it usually is. But then you do a second and third playthrough and it no longer feels like a 10/10 but a 8/10 or maybe even... a 7/10. Especially a couple years after these next-gen consoles release and you get used to the faster loading and prettier graphics, what's left is the gameplay - was it genuinely good?

It's silly to even choose a side because you could be missing out on games you didn't know you might enjoy on other platforms. And yeah, there will be games that just don't appeal to you. However we tend to change our minds over time and give them a chance years later when there's nothing else to play. Honestly, there are no shortage of games to play and while they might not all be AAA production or cartoony or fit into a specific genre that you like, I'm just saying don't write it off unless you've played it for yourself.

I'll see the knee-jerk reactions to games like Halo Infinite and Final Fantasy XVI for not having next-gen graphics but I'm wondering about the gameplay and story. Maybe it will be really fun to shoot aliens in the new Halo and drive around in the Warthog and the new Final Fantasy looks like it will have an intriguing story with good dialogue and possibly a large open world to explore. I guess I'm rambling but at this point I'm just tired of reading about things like "the winning team" and how 2021 will be a great year for fans of X company but not Y company. And it's all because fanboys want to pick and choose which exclusives matter without even having played them yet.

Fahdis

Tl;dr?

I don't care about console fanboyism. But most people do it to justify their purchase. Imagine being brainlets and defending companies that have been anti-consumer at different times. I love Forza, God of War, Uncharted, Fable, Zelda etc.

People really need to play exclusives from the main 3. Most of them are great.

No one ever play EVERY exclusive. So it is only nature that you like some and not others. The job of a platform holder is making sure there is a large enough variety in the ecosystem that there is something for everyone.

GreyHorace

I personally don't give a shit about console exclusives. I play games with whatever strikes my fancy. I only got a PS4 this gen because Microsoft pissed me off with their always online bullshit with the Xbone.

And even then, I didn't go out of my way to play all of the exclusives of the PS4 unless they interested me in some way. God of War I only got because of the Norse Myth setting, and Marvel's Spider-Man, well, because it's Spider-Man. Probably the only PS4 exclusive I was hyped for was Ghost of Tsushima, and that's my favorite game on the system.

Tl;dr?

I don't care about console fanboyism. But most people do it to justify their purchase. Imagine being brainlets and defending companies that have been anti-consumer at different times. I love Forza, God of War, Uncharted, Fable, Zelda etc.

People really need to play exclusives from the main 3. Most of them are great.

i dont think thats it. SONY just managed to grow over time a unique type of demented fanbase that simply idolizes the company. They dont hype ps exclusives to justify their purchase. They hype them because they treat sony as a real person, a family member that succeds. They feel like a personal win. The metacritic scores and reviewers in general are laughed at and mocked pretty much in the entire world. Yet, on reeera and here the MC is worn like a badge of honor on the chest if its good. If its a poor reviewed game like The Order or Days Gone its because the journos were anti sony. If its a regular ass game in the 80's like spiderman or horizon we have made those wallappers that plaster the scores all over and they cherry pick only the 10's and 9's from every obscure blog written by a 19 yrs old between classes and make the game sound as if it got a 98 MC instead of 85.

I honestly dont know why they're like this. No other fanbase compares

Lanrutcon

Platform loyalty.

People do weird things, man. SonyGAF is crazy about exclusives, XboxGAF is crazy about terraflops, PCMR is crazy about....nothing. They're all shining examples of humanity and should be worshipped as Gods. Bow before our their majesty.

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

Fanboyism is bad in general.
It can apply to Games, movies, tv shows,music, brands, religions, politics....

they obviously made the right choice and have the need to tell you what good taste/opinion they have.

personally, I try to be above that but it’s hard because people wants you to pick a side.

Shubh_C63

And I am surprised people still have to ask this question.

Not a shitpost but c'mon. Manchildrens are passionate people like me.

i dont think thats it. SONY just managed to grow over time a unique type of demented fanbase that simply idolizes the company. They dont hype ps exclusives to justify their purchase. They hype them because they treat sony as a real person, a family member that succeds. They feel like a personal win. The metacritic scores and reviewers in general are laughed at and mocked pretty much in the entire world. Yet, on reeera and here the MC is worn like a badge of honor on the chest if its good. If its a poor reviewed game like The Order or Days Gone its because the journos were anti sony. If its a regular ass game in the 80's like spiderman or horizon we have made those wallappers that plaster the scores all over and they cherry pick only the 10's and 9's from every obscure blog written by a 19 yrs old between classes and make the game sound as if it got a 98 MC instead of 85.

Actually it feels similar to Apple fanbase. Though it seems last two or something releases it calmed down there.

Last edited:

Fahdis

I feel like you're talking about Nintendo fanboys more than Sony.

They're very extreme as well, but honestly not quite like sony. Not even fotball fans traveling across europe to follow their favourite teams are like sony fellows. Those fans get angry and throw shit at their team if they lose and dont perform to their expectations. Sony is just like a god that can do no wrong. If its exclusives score bad, its because the particular reviewer is anti sony. I remember after Days Gone launched, it felt like an entire movement to try and paint that game as a masterpiece. Almost daily threads would pop up how wrong the press was and how amazing the game is. How every living soul misunderstood the game. Threads poped up half a year after the game came out saying how we should reconsider it now after patches and include it in some imaginary PS4 top tier list.

Other middling received games are quickly forgotten if they're 3rd party or from microsoft or pc only. Games like Rage 2 or Wolfenstein Youngblood for example are average received games, they have some good stuff in them and some bad stuff. Depending on what type of player you are, you can find enjoyment in them. But they were forgotten 2 weeks after they came out. They didnt have a small movement for a year after they released trying to make them sound as misunderstood excelence.

Last edited:
Well, Nintendo fanboys live in a parallel society and rarely intermingle with other fanbases. And the reason is that Nintendo games mostly Nintendo games only so there is little to no conflict over - for example - multiplatform games.

Guilty_AI

Platform loyalty.

People do weird things, man. SonyGAF is crazy about exclusives, XboxGAF is crazy about terraflops, PCMR is crazy about....nothing. They're all shining examples of humanity and should be worshipped as Gods. Bow before our their majesty.
Nah, the truest supreme divinities are low/middle range pc gamers and old console collectors.
They've surpassed mortals and achieved enlightment by reaching the true essence of gaming by having actual fun instead of fussing about SSDs, teraflops and armchair business analysis.

Last edited:
No one ever play EVERY exclusive. So it is only nature that you like some and not others. The job of a platform holder is making sure there is a large enough variety in the ecosystem that there is something for everyone.
It's natural to look forward to playing certain exclusives and not being interested in others. It's when fanboys start shilling for that exclusive because of brand loyalty and concern trolling other exclusives that is quickly growing old. It's not so much about playing every exclusive as it is more about just being humble.

It's natural to look forward to playing certain exclusives and not being interested in others. It's when fanboys start shilling for that exclusive because of brand loyalty and concern trolling other exclusives that is quickly growing old. It's not so much about playing every exclusive as it is more about just being humble.
Well, then, the question is which side use outright lies as part of their campaign? I don't see the point of being humble if it means leaving deceptive advertising unanswered.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
you don't know for sure what will be a 10/10 or a 5/10.
unch games will fall short but you want to believe they will be 9/10s and 10/10s based on what you saw instead of actually playing it?
But then you do a second and third playthrough and it no longer feels like a 10/10 but a 8/10 or maybe even... a 7/10.
Maybe people should stop putting too much weight on scores alone. Games getting 10/10 won't guarantee you will enjoy it and games getting 7/10 don't mean you going hate the game. In fact you might not even agree with some of reviewers negative or positive points in their reviews.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Maybe people should stop putting too much weight on scores alone. Games getting 10/10 won't guarantee you will enjoy it and games getting 7/10 don't mean you going hate the game. In fact you might not even agree with some of reviewers negative or positive points in their reviews.
Just to add to this post: God Hand was given a 3/10 by IGN.

Warablo

Halo and Gears was the shit back in the day, but its just so old now to me. Sony at least has some good stories and production exclusives. Hopefully Microsoft can expand their library.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Because they're fanboys. They have for some reason tied a certain console manufacturer in to their personal identity. They also often are defending their purchase/parents purchase, because they can't afford or parents won't buy them both, so they want to convince themselves that they got the "winning" console.

Because they're fanboys. They have for some reason tied a certain console manufacturer in to their personal identity. They also often are defending their purchase/parents purchase, because they can't afford or parents won't buy them both, so they want to convince themselves that they got the "winning" console.
It really makes little financial sense to buy both. It would be like not knowing which brand of car to buy, so you just bought one of each. The exclusive matter, yes, but the overlap means buying a 2nd console that isn't a Switch just couldn't be justified, unless the financial burden is truly inconsequential to you.

EDMIX

I hate it when some gamers talk about certain exclusives as though they are guaranteed to be masterpieces and then they will talk with concern and disappointment about another company's exclusives

I see.....so you hate their free will to like and dislike games?

People are allowed to be hype for a game, just like they are allowed to dislike a game. That has nothing to solely and only do with "exclusives", its not like you see with Watchdogs 3 a multiplatform game that everyone is like "guaranteed to be masterpiece" or something.

Cyberpunk 2077 has lots of hype around it.

Watchdogs 3 doesn't have that same level of hype.

Both multiplatform.

It would be like me saying "I hate it when some gamers talk about certain GAMES as though they are guaranteed to be masterpieces and then they will talk with concern and disappointment about another company's GAMES"

Crazy, its almost as if people have different opinions about stuff that differ greatly from person to person /s

GermanZepp

My objections for not playing games comes from aesthetics. for example even if those pokemon games are 10/10 I'm not going to play it. Same for anime style graphics. That ps4 ftp genshin impact for fuck sake, disgusting. I dont play ubisoft games either.

dalekjay

My objections for not playing games comes from aesthetics. for example even if those pokemon games are 10/10 I'm not going to play it. Same for anime style graphics. That ps4 ftp genshin impact for fuck sake, disgusting. I dont play ubisoft games either.
Anime art style or also known as socially accepted pedosimulators.

Last edited:

EDMIX

*sigh* No. Read the rest of the sentence you omitted from the quote. Maybe you'll understand then.

I read the rest of your post.

The same can be applied about any fucking game. You can't FORCE people to not be hype about a game and NOT hate another game before release etc. Folks are choosing a side because they care more about the IP on one side vs another.

NO DIFFERENT then people are siding with Cyberpunk 2077 over Watchdogs 3 or AC Valhalla etc. So sure, Watchdogs 3 could be good as "It's silly to even choose a side because you could be missing out on games you didn't know you might enjoy" , but you don't need 3 or 11 fucking games to make that choice. If someone didn't like the last 7 Call Of Dutys or the last 7 AC titles, they very much might not like the 8th or the 11th etc. Thus, they are correct to be hype about Cyberpunk 2077.

THEY ARE NOT FUCKING JUST BUYING CP2077 SOLELY based on CDPR and nothing more. The team has shown more then enough to have people justifiably excited about the title.

"And yeah, there will be games that just don't appeal to you." Yea you going to have to deal with that man, that is very much going to be the situation.

"However we tend to change our minds over time and give them a chance years later" Enjoy that argument on why someone should not be hype for Cyberpunk 2077 and should change their minds on AC the 11th.

Its almost as if you can't take that people have free will.

So someone can change their minds, someone can choose to only buy games that appeal to them , but you know what they really should do with their money? What ever the fuck they want......

BigLee74

Missed out on the PS3/4 generations, so do plan on getting a PS5 somewhere down the line purely to try all their exclusives.

I certainly wouldn't mock a game without trying it. I've enjoyed way too many a game that initially looked bad.

MrFunSocks

Banned
It really makes little financial sense to buy both. It would be like not knowing which brand of car to buy, so you just bought one of each. The exclusive matter, yes, but the overlap means buying a 2nd console that isn't a Switch just couldn't be justified, unless the financial burden is truly inconsequential to you.
That's absolutely true, there isn't as much difference in the games you can play on each of them as there was 2+ generations ago, but these things aren't expensive in the first place.

Whatever the reason, the mentality to put down the one you don't have still exists.

I read the rest of your post.

The same can be applied about any fucking game. You can't FORCE people to not be hype about a game and NOT hate another game before release etc. Folks are choosing a side because they care more about the IP on one side vs another.

NO DIFFERENT then people are siding with Cyberpunk 2077 over Watchdogs 3 or AC Valhalla etc. So sure, Watchdogs 3 could be good as "It's silly to even choose a side because you could be missing out on games you didn't know you might enjoy" , but you don't need 3 or 11 fucking games to make that choice. If someone didn't like the last 7 Call Of Dutys or the last 7 AC titles, they very much might not like the 8th or the 11th etc. Thus, they are correct to be hype about Cyberpunk 2077.

THEY ARE NOT FUCKING JUST BUYING CP2077 SOLELY based on CDPR and nothing more. The team has shown more then enough to have people justifiably excited about the title.

"And yeah, there will be games that just don't appeal to you." Yea you going to have to deal with that man, that is very much going to be the situation.

"However we tend to change our minds over time and give them a chance years later" Enjoy that argument on why someone should not be hype for Cyberpunk 2077 and should change their minds on AC the 11th.

Its almost as if you can't take that people have free will.

So someone can change their minds, someone can choose to only buy games that appeal to them , but you know what they really should do with their money? What ever the fuck they want......
You're still missing the point and you need to calm down.

I certainly wouldn't mock a game without trying it. I've enjoyed way too many a game that initially looked bad.
Thank you for understanding.

N30RYU

With less and less demos... developers sending free stuff to the media making almost all the reviews viased... we can only judge a game by gameplay videos... if not we all would be buying shit like bread just to know it's shit

teezzy

Banned
I'd like to think that most people here have some experience with all platforms. I've owned nearly every console released by Sega, Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft so far at one point in my life or another. The only ones I didn't would be like the Master System, Nomad, and Virtual Boy.

I know what appeals to me more, and while I may not be super versed, I can at least share what draws me to PC and Xbox over the others at this point in my life. Deep down, I'm an adult and don't actually dislike Nintendo or Sony. I love 'em tbh.... I just prefer to spend my limited time elsewhere.

Y'know... like shitposting here literally all day long.

GermanZepp

Anime art style or also known as socially accepted pedosimulators.

It's not that I hate anime or hentai. But i find certain desing choices and aesthetics of hyper stylized characters often than not, teens, really of putting and absolutely unrelatable. Is like playing with some kind of weird mixture between drag queen and k-pop stars. Not my cup if tea.

Fahdis

Case in point get a PC and enjoy every console, plebs. 😏

It's not that I hate anime or hentai. But i find certain desing choices and aesthetics of hyper stylized characters often than not, teens, really of putting and absolutely unrelatable. Is like playing with some kind of weird mixture between drag queen and k-pop stars. Not my cup if tea.

I used to be the same way. Then I picked Lars, Lee and Jin in Tekken to descensitize myself and finally play Persona. They are some damn good games. I ended up picking Heihachi to let my masculinity sink in again. Try it, you might be able to play Little Big Planet with a drag queen for once. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:

Damigos

The irony that OP is pointing out how dumb fanboys are and you come stumbling in with your fanboy comment.
Why is this a fanboy comment ? OP talked about exclusives so i am asking for one.
You cant blame gamers if one company doesnt offer exclusives, same thing would happen with Sony ot with anyone else.
Its not our fault X One had a trash launch and now no exclusives, or that Nintendo couldnt communicate what Wii U was, or that Sony launched PS3 and told us to get second jobs and the new PS store from PC is shit, or that Stadia library and latency are a joke or that EA and 2k are gamlbing machines companies.
All these facts will be pointed out by gamers and everyone should be happy about that.
Not talking about them means that we have no problem.
Just stop with that fanboyism thing and read the context not just the words.
FYI i am buying all next gen machines.

teezzy

Banned
Halo and Gears was the shit back in the day, but its just so old now to me. Sony at least has some good stories and production exclusives. Hopefully Microsoft can expand their library.

They just bought Bethesda on top of all the other studios they've acquired. Add in their usual Halo, Gears, Forza rotation and now Gamepass... Microsoft are gonna be just fine.

EDMIX

You're still missing the point and you need to calm down.

Thank you for understanding.

Nah, you need to relax on trying to argue about people's free will. Anyone is free to like a game and dislike another.

teezzy teezzy Agreed. "They just bought Bethesda on top of all the other studios they've acquired. Add in their usual Halo, Gears, Forza rotation and now Gamepass... Microsoft are gonna be just fine" Pretty much.

That Halo and Gears combo is one of the biggest reasons I don't own their systems, I simply don't care for the IPs and I feel it was a massive mistake by MS to continue to only pump big budgets on those IP. They are doing right now, what they should have done several generations ago, as Sony had the gloves off, bought teams, made new IP LIKE FUCKING CLOCK WORK.

We don't hope or guess for new series, we expect it every gen as its a natural thing for Playstation. MS needs to get on that level and they need to allow at least a few teams to cycle thru IPs and allow them to move on from time to time to continue to get new consumers. So I think MS will be fine going forward as this is the first time I can even say they are literally trying to beat Sony vs last gen or this gen etc. They played it waaaaaay too safe. Like they thought they could do timed deals and only publish other people's games and that would some how give them a deep install base to match a Uncharted or The Last Of Us which I never understood why they even thought Bioshock being timed, would help them compared to Sony actually fucking buying a team and making a 100% exclusive.

The choice to buy Suckerpunch might sound like it gives them little success compared to doing a timed deal for Bioshock as InFamous wasn't a massive IP, yet look at what Ghost Of Tsushima is turning into. Thats when you start to see that Sony has been playing Chess and MS has been playing Checkers.

Though I have zero plans to ever own a XB as I don't see the point when I already own a gaming PC and will continue to do so, I do see me buying waaaaaay more MS published titles as I literally bought no MS published titles this gen on PC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom