• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After beating Returnal in roughly 11 hours, here are my review and Pro Tips!

How do you rate the difficulty "if you own the game"?

• Total voters

Kokoloko85

Seems like a loose end for a potential sequel.

I wonder how they will do it.

Potential spoilers

The secret ending showed her swimming up herself and not being saved by the entity like the 1st ending.

I think she let Helios drown and is living with the guilt and is mentally ill.

Clues:
1.The Rejection letter in the house, saying she is not qualified for space travel.
2. The medical pills she says she doesnt need anymore in the house
3. Helios being the name of the spaceship and Selene’s Daughter. Says Abandoning it everytime you leave the 1st area where the spaceship is. Like how you abandon your daughter and let drown and save yourself.

4. Alot of the aliens and enemies being creatures from her books, also in her house

Still not sure what or who the astronaut is? Her mums relation, or who Thea is?

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I wonder how they will do it.

Potential spoilers

The secret ending showed her swimming up herself and not being saved by the entity like the 1st ending.

I think she let Helios drown and is living with the guilt and is mentally ill.

Clues:
1.The Rejection letter in the house, saying she is not qualified for space travel.
2. The medical pills she says she doesnt need anymore in the house
3. Helios being the name of the spaceship and Selene’s Daughter. Says Abandoning it everytime you leave the 1st area where the spaceship is. Like how you abandon your daughter and let drown and save yourself.

4. Alot of the aliens and enemies being creatures from her books, also in her house

Still not sure what or who the astronaut is? Her mums relation, or who Thea is?

Nearly same conclusions so far, maybe a sequel will seal it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yes agreed. Thanks for making such threads Bo. I remember he made one on AC Valhalla too.

You're welcome, mate! Glad you guys enjoyed it. This game really needs such guide because it's not really straight forward and kinda vague with its discerptions. Hope for similar threads in the future!

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

I'm gonna fucking kick this games ass today.

Great tips, I had no idea the health pickups worked like that, I assumed they were just set. Will definitely be farming out more HP now.

I've also been leaving the "gated walls" alone because I assumed they were for a later powerup and totally forgot about hitting a switch to raise them. What a mook.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Great tips, I had no idea the health pickups worked like that, I assumed they were just set. Will definitely be farming out more HP now.

I've also been leaving the "gated walls" alone because I assumed they were for a later powerup and totally forgot about hitting a switch to raise them. What a mook.

Yeah the game really lacks "communication". It's pretty strange how stupid somethings are unexplained like the reconstructor and the figurine.

wOs

Try getting much close to him. I treated him like a DS3 boss and hugged his nuts. Only need to watch out for his melee in phase 3.
Thanks to all the replies. Apparently having a backup heal helped a ton.

I did have to laugh my son beat the first area/level on his first shot.

I'm going to say he benefitted from watching me and wtf there is a Rez

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yeah the game really lacks "communication". It's pretty strange how stupid somethings are unexplained like the reconstructor and the figurine.

Stuff like that I don't mind, I figured those out after I used them once which is par for the course for a roguelite - but I don't think I'd ever have figured out the health thing. Gonna do a run after lunch!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Only a coward runs away from battles.

quick-spiderman.gif

wOs

How do you know the way to unlock the ability on a weapon? Like detergent, richichet, etc? I have some unlocked and some not,, but in not sure what I did to get their percentages up.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
How do you know the way to unlock the ability on a weapon? Like detergent, richichet, etc? I have some unlocked and some not,, but in not sure what I did to get their percentages up.

Honestly, never kept track of them. I end up having them unlocked while playing. Not sure where to track it.

Marvel

could never
Yeah I'm tapping out, been stuck on biome 3 then the boss for couple days.

Real shame.

Ty for the tips tho

Last edited:
I'm on the fence for this one... In game footage has been more interesting than I thought it would, but I'm still worried about the rogue like aspect (generated levels).

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'm on the fence for this one... In game footage has been more interesting than I thought it would, but I'm still worried about the rogue like aspect (generated levels).

Generated levels are pretty tiny rooms/fields in general, nothing to worry about. It's the same number overall but they get a bit mixed, but not all of them, mostly the ones with the goons.

Some are facing so much trouble with it, and I'm kinda surprised that I'm a bit too fast compared to the norm although I really took my time exploring nearly all the optional rooms possible.

Arun1910

Just come here straight from Reddit.

There was an update last night for the game. If your PS5 has "Download and install updates in Rest Mode" on, turn it off!

The auto install of Returnal updates will reset your run because it closes the game.

I just managed to dodge a bullet here as my PS5 decided not to download anything until I took it out of Rest Mode.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem i still think you got a glitched game.:messenger_face_steam:

If I managed in one run to go to the end and finish the game in 8 hours, more than sure I can shave that further with all the upgrades now to around 6 hours :lollipop_tears_of_joy: . Problem is I don't like replaying games, used to do that last time around 15 years ago with MGS3.

Just come here straight from Reddit.

There was an update last night for the game. If your PS5 has "Download and install updates in Rest Mode" on, turn it off!

The auto install of Returnal updates will reset your run because it closes the game.

I just managed to dodge a bullet here as my PS5 decided not to download anything until I took it out of Rest Mode.

Good to know! Thanks for the details.

Rea

Just tried this game for 2 days and currently at the 3rd stage and died.
This game is so Fucking awesome, so addicting, the audio is giving me eargasm with 3D pulse headset. The colors and effects are mesmerizing with HDR.

The atmosphere in each stage is very mysterious and creepy. I don't feel like this is native 1080p game at all. It looks very sharp. But noticed there are some low res textures.

The only thing bugging me in this game is that, this game is way too long for a rogue-like games. I spent nearly 3 hours in stage 2 just to get to boss. Some mobs are also very OP, hard to dodge, deals alot of dmg and tanky. Overall I love this game.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Just tried this game for 2 days and currently at the 3rd stage and died.
This game is so Fucking awesome, so addicting, the audio is giving me eargasm with 3D pulse headset. The colors and effects are mesmerizing with HDR.

The atmosphere in each stage is very mysterious and creepy. I don't feel like this is native 1080p game at all. It looks very sharp. But noticed there are some low res textures.

The only thing bugging me in this game is that, this game is way too long for a rogue-like games. I spent nearly 3 hours in stage 2 just to get to boss. Some mobs are also very OP, hard to dodge, deals alot of dmg and tanky. Overall I love this game.

I'm still in shock of how good it looks for an 1080p base. Of course with a better developer and engine it shouldn't be this low but I'm down for 1080p reconstructed with a lot of raytracing or next gen perks!

• Strength
Reactions: Rea
my buddy just txted me saying that he lost all of his progression after the latest patch , did it happen to anyone else ? he said their is doors that won't open ( its a bug)

Bo_Hazem

Banned
my buddy just txted me saying that he lost all of his progression after the latest patch , did it happen to anyone else ? he said their is doors that won't open ( its a bug)

Yeah some reporting that. I'm literally done with the game because sadly I don't like playing games more than once. :lollipop_anguish:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah! I usually don't games more then once either after i'm finished with it , i just keep them and they collect dust !

This guy had 3 doors locked, here:

Markio128

I keep getting to a room in biome 3 where I have to blow up 2 towers in order to be able to destroy the dozens of enemy robots trying to blast me to smithereens. There is literally nowhere to hide. I wouldn’t mind, I still need to beat the boss if I do manage to get passed this wall.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I keep getting to a room in biome 3 where I have to blow up 2 towers in order to be able to destroy the dozens of enemy robots trying to blast me to smithereens. There is literally nowhere to hide. I wouldn’t mind, I still need to beat the boss if I do manage to get passed this wall.

If you can shoot the towers from far away then do it, or sprint towards them and melee attack them as the break quickly.

Markio128

If you can shoot the towers from far away then do it, or sprint towards them and melee attack them as the break quickly.
I could be wrong, but I don’t think I can destroy the towers until I enter the room, by then there is that green flash and that’s when the shit hits the fan. I know I’ll get through it eventually, but it is a pretty big jump in difficulty.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I could be wrong, but I don’t think I can destroy the towers until I enter the room, by then there is that green flash and that’s when the shit hits the fan. I know I’ll get through it eventually, but it is a pretty big jump in difficulty.

Yeah 3rd biome is pretty tough. Then your best option is to sprint as fast as you can and slash them with melee attacks.

Markio128

Yeah 3rd biome is pretty tough. Then your best option is to sprint as fast as you can and slash them with melee attacks.
Cheers matey, I’ll give that a try. The last couple of times I’ve bumbled my way into the room then just had 30 seconds of sheer panic and then death haha. I need to compose myself before I jump in next time.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Cheers matey, I’ll give that a try. The last couple of times I’ve bumbled my way into the room then just had 30 seconds of sheer panic and then death haha. I need to compose myself before I jump in next time.

Did you enter the golden gate with a star? Those are tougher than the main bosses with 3 waves. Avoid them if you are in a long run.

Finally finished off the first biome. Thanks for the tips everyone!

I was definitely trying too hard to just run and gun without focusing on building up Selene.
This game is humbling!!

Keep pushing!

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Did you enter the golden gate with a star? Those are tougher than the main bosses with 3 waves. Avoid them if you are in a long run.

Keep pushing!
I disagree, sure they're tough but run in circles around the area and shoot everything works well for the first 2 areas, the later might need more planning but you usually get a good gun after it.

I finished the game and collected 4 pieces of sun in 14 hours but I wish we did separate playthrough because my girlfriend played it too and the game might be too hard for her after biome 2 (those rocket shooting drones are the worst)I just need the shard in the 1st,5th and 6th biome, of all I think the 5th biome will be the most troublesome.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I disagree, sure they're tough but run in circles around the area and shoot everything works well for the first 2 areas, the later might need more planning but you usually get a good gun after it.

I finished the game and collected 4 pieces of sun in 14 hours but I wish we did separate playthrough because my girlfriend played it too and the game might be too hard for her after biome 2 (those rocket shooting drones are the worst)I just need the shard in the 1st,5th and 6th biome, of all I think the 5th biome will be the most troublesome.

Sweet! I entered the challenge room according to mission later. Now it's very easy for me because I'm more informed about the enemies and how to defeat them.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Any tips for 2? I dont think I have even made it to the boss yet lol.

Always use environment as cover for those flying octopuses, even the large one. But when you face that mini boss you need to time your dodges correctly. Put in mind that pressing O longer gives a longer dodge distance vs tapping it. Also use a Hollowseeker if available, or at least a the carbine, all good for long distance.

Remember, the braves die first, don't be brave and always run away when overwhelmed. Exploit the gate as a shield if you must.

dorkimoe

Always use environment as cover for those flying octopuses, even the large one. But when you face that mini boss you need to time your dodges correctly. Put in mind that pressing O longer gives a longer dodge distance vs tapping it. Also use a Hollowseeker if available, or at least a the carbine, all good for long distance.

Remember, the braves die first, don't be brave and always run away when overwhelmed. Exploit the gate as a shield if you must.
Sounds good. I think i got the mini boss no problem actually, then i dont remember what got me.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You're a legend Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem

I'm actually impressed by myself now, I thought the vast majority here are better players than me and expected 5 hours runs to be pretty common and will see lots of drama about how short and too expensive it is. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

To add on that, I was so tired and didn't sleep for 30+ hours when finished! With the 3rd run being from 1st to final in around 8 hours I can see myself shedding that down to 6 if feeling so with all the upgrades I had that will make me upgrade and loot more stuff per level + knowledge of enemies patterns.

I'm actually impressed by myself now, I thought the vast majority here are better players than me and expected 5 hours runs to be pretty common and will see lots of drama about how short and too expensive it is. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

To add on that, I was so tired and didn't sleep for 30+ hours when finished! With the 3rd run being from 1st to final in around 8 hours I can see myself shedding that down to 6 if feeling so with all the upgrades I had that will make me upgrade and loot more stuff per level + knowledge of enemies patterns.

This is my first ever rogue like game to experience and it's kicking my butt. My initial approach was too aggressive and that led to a dozen plus deaths in the first two biomes itself. Have spent around 24 hours and now in Biome 4.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This is my first ever rogue like game to experience and it's kicking my butt. My initial approach was too aggressive and that led to a dozen plus deaths in the first two biomes itself.

I personally don't play roguelikes in general, but I think I'm good with 3rd person shooters and shooters in general and also tactics are so much important in such a game.

Ma-Yuan

I am getting the hang of it. At the 4th boss now. Second and third boss took me only 2 tries each. Hate you loose all upgrades after 3 god damn it my build was God like.... 😭

Top Bottom