• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After beating Returnal in roughly 11 hours, here are my review and Pro Tips!

How do you rate the difficulty "if you own the game"?

• Total voters

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Ok, guys. Started 8:00am (opens that time = 12:00am in VA, USA) yesterday and finished the game at 7:45pm in the same day. Around 11 hours and 45 minutes (Iftar "Ramadhan", bathroom times, and other small breaks included, roughly 11 hours when skimmed), and explored most of the optional missions.

Difficulty isn't really hard, didn't restart at the ship after the 2 premature deaths, around 9 hours without getting back to the ship. Died in total around 5 times, you can spare yourself a life past some level so you don't lose progress, but once on each level using your permanent "currency", Ether.

I didn't sleep during that for like ~30 hours, but slept 13 hours after that, because I didn't simply die and start from the ship so I can sleep in peace. If anyone was hesitant about the difficulty I would rate it 7/10 vs Give Me God of War 10/10 and 9/10 Crushing in TLOU2.

I've enjoyed the game and I think there are still some secrets to check out, even though I've visited the house 3 times already and usually try to explore thoroughly. Just don't be afraid about dying, when you jump back again you can skip fast to the next level as it makes it shorter to you to get back, and when you reach the next level you get a weapon upgrade (not the weapon itself but something like ID level for your next weapon you open). You can even manage with 0 level guns as leveling isn't steep in the game.

1st boss (one go)
2nd boss (one go)
3rd boss (2nd go because I came to him while being 30% on health with no health packs)
4th boss (one go)
5th boss (2nd go and nearly killed me in the end because had 2 malfunctions in both runs)

In short:

Positives:

- Amazing gunfight and fluidity, gameplay in general is perfect.
- Intriguing story, although still gives you 90% gameplay in general.
- Amazing explorations and re-exploration of older areas when you got the upgrades.
- Deaths aren't as punishing as you think, would actually add more to the story.

- Difficulty is decent.
- It has good replayability especially with the regenerated levels.
- Graphics art style look amazing, with atmospheric looks.
- Music is well-tailored for the game, adds more immersion.

- DualSense integrations is very good in general.
- 3D audio helps with the awareness and the feel of the game in general.

Negatives:

- Floaty jumps.
- No mid-run saves.
- The 2nd mode in L2 is a gimmick, although done right, as they should've used R1 for the alternative fire as R1 is actually EMPTY!

I would give it 8.5/10.

----------------------------

Now here are my "Pro" tips, might contain minor spoilers :messenger_sunglasses: (click on the links for the photos)

- Use a good headset like Pulse 3D or any good headset that's good in locality, you'll need it.
- Use Dash to get through laser barriers and most of the enemy attacks. Some bullets and lasers you can't do that and would end up getting hurt later on.
- Don't fucking gamble with your Ether: You can turn Ether to Obolites to buy a large medkit from that fabricator, knowing exactly what you want.
- Don't pick up Malignant stuff: It's not worth the negatives, some are doable some are pretty tough, unless you have malfunction fixer (if you have 2 malfunctions the next malignant you pick is broken/lost, so don't over do it).
- Spend 6 Ether on each level on the Reconstructors: This gives you a second chance on each level as you respawn again without losing anything. You can't spam it, only once on each biome.
- Collect Resin for maximum Integrity "Health".
- Don't be a fucking hero: If you think you're being overwhelmed with the goons, just run for your fucking life. Don't be shy to exploit some weaknesses sometimes as I use the doors to block the enemy and as a shield for the counter.
- Use the good Parasites: I've used one for autorepair at low health, and max integrity, and damage. Some raise malfunction probability but you should not pick malignant stuff to begin with. Some enemy attacks cause malfunctions though.
- Buy Augments: Those stack up and end up making you OP, like 10% protection, 25% max integrity, more damage caused, autorepair at low health "same as the parasite with no negatives", etc.
- You can stack as much consumables as you like from the same kind: If you have one large health medkit, you can stack another one over it. Same with other consumables as I've stacked once around 3 consumables in one slot.
- DON'T FUCKING GO TO THE GOLDEN GATE IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO: Those are wave-based and could end up fighting 3 bosses simultaneously. Rewards can be good, but tried one and wasn't that good as I was forced to do so in one mission. It looks like the same main mission door but yellow with a star above. Had my early second death there.
- Don't pick up a higher level weapon "just because": Check the stats, and understand what you need. To me, there is that machine gun I prefer "Hollowseeker", carbine "Tachyomatic Carbine" comes second, and the pistol "Modified Sidearm SD-M8" third. The rest are pure garbage to me in the long run.
- Permanent suit upgrades are crucial: Because you can reach areas you usually can't without them and could mean getting some health regain or better loot.
- In worst case scenario, go back to the SHIP to sleep and regain health* (only applicable in biome 1 and 4, and for once per run after the latest update): Don't be afraid to go all the way back to the ship before proceeding to fight a boss with low health. It might be within your radius or you might have to go through biomes to reach it, but it's better than being forced to with zero stats. There are different beds that you can sleep "green bed" and regain health and even upgrade max integrity, also don't be afraid to sleep on the "red bed" ones that take some health but gives a very rewarding loot.
- Explore all the blue gates as much as possible: You usually get the green/red beds there, the reconstructor "second chance" machine, and other rewarding/permanent upgrades.
- Lastly, don't be afraid to die: The game makes it so easy to get back to the level, and once you enter you get a weapon level pass "Proficiency" that matches the biome right away. You can manage even with 0 level guns because the leveling isn't steep in the game.
*- Melee attacks are devastating: You end your enemy really fast using melee, between one hit for smaller ones to 2-4 hits for mini bosses! You may as well use it smartly against the main bosses, but try always to keep your distance and maybe use it after dodging his melee attack.
*- Buy a figurine!: A friend of mine told me that it grants you a second life (never tried it myself). More about it:

Finally getting the hang of this game, I am not much for arcade/rogue games tbh, but I am enjoying the challenge. I am on the 3rd biome at the moment, and the best thing that's worked for me, is to keep the little astronaut so that I can respawn, sometimes you can find an parasite that will accomplish the same thing too, and they stack! (Two lives in one run basically), and I carry a big thing of health. Dash is your friend, when in doubt, dash it out. Great set of tips that you provided!

*- Mapping your jump and dodge buttons to L1 and R1 instead could help you react faster (I kept them as default though), thanks to rubhen925 rubhen925 and DonJorginho DonJorginho .

----------------------------

WARNINGS:

*It seems mapping your controller causes crashes at the moment:

Using customized controls can also cause crashes. Stick to default all these are fixed. I had no crashes so far with the game. Once i rebinded my dash button i had 3 crashes. So i can confirm this is an issue. Beat the game again with default controls and suit. Keep this in mind people

*- At the moment stick to the main suit in the meantime, some reports say that they make crashes and glitches that can break your run. I've ignored the 2 suits because they have 100% tint and had zero glitches and crashes.

--------------------------

I think that's about most of it. Hope this helps. The game isn't hard if you're good in gaming in general. I can say it's about medium difficulty. Goons can be harder than main bosses as well when you're overwhelmed or cornered. After beating the game you should still go after some story elements.

Feel free to ask. Would answer using spoiler if I think that would spoil something major.

Down are walkthroughs, if you don't want anything spoiled then skip.

1st biome "thorough" walkthrough (Press [CC] for hints and details)​

Returnal: 2nd biome "thorough" walkthrough (Press [CC] for hints and details) (Part 1/2)​

Returnal: 2nd biome boss "Ixion" (Press [CC] for hints and details) (Part 2/2)​

Last edited:

Arun1910

When you say finish, what do you mean exactly?

I was under the impression games like this were meant to be played through several times to get the whole story.

I could be completely wrong but if someone could explain I'd appreciate it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
When you say finish, what do you mean exactly?

I was under the impression games like this were meant to be played through several times to get the whole story.

I could be completely wrong but if someone could explain I'd appreciate it.

Beaten the main story, while explored nearly all possible side missions. But there are some elements tied to story I think to check out as you get that notification when you finished. I'll check it out later and report back.

Arun1910

Beaten the main story, while explored nearly all possible side missions. But there are some elements tied to story I think to check out as you get that notification when you finished. I'll check it out later and report back.

Sweet.

Looking forward to it. Should hopefully be able to play today!

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
This game is absolutely incredible.

What people can’t really get across is just how integral everything comes together.
The gameplay, audio, design, environment, effects, dual sense, it’s a combination of so many elements, perfectly tuned that makes this game special. Housemarque have created something very special here.

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem thanks for all the efforts you put in to inform of this game. It’s the reason I bought it 😊👍

Last edited:

BigLee74

Well, I personally would be disappointed by completing any game in one or two days at £70. No matter how good it is.

Certainly doesn’t look like a game you would replay again. That’s like Inception!

Definitely one to wait for a price drop. I would imagine by the time I get a PS5 (it’s in my plans), it’ll be on sale for peanuts anyway!

Ma-Yuan

It's hard I am to old 🤣 had real problems with the first boss... Reminds me of sekiro where I got to the last boss and gave up after 3 nights of trying. My reflexes suck so I need to get creative...

Last edited:

Vol5

I'm struggling a little with it tbh. I've died a few times now being stuck on scenery or enemies hitting me from the side. It's good and I'm certainly going to finish it, but I don't think it's quite the 9/10 some are giving it.

Arun1910

Dude, good tips. Somehow I failed to realize I could dash through lasers.
I only played about an hour yesterday but it’s extremely fun.

I've also already died 4 times :lollipop_confounded:

I've just started, 20 mins in. It's worth watching every video tutorial that pops up because it tells you that you can dash through lasers at the start of the game.

sircaw

Banned
Bo the beast, 11 hours of solid gameplay in order to see every butt shot that Milf has to offer. :messenger_beaming:

Remember guys and girls, that 11 hours is not a normal representation of what average users will get out of the game.

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem was brought up running with camels and bench pressing date tree carts as a child, his gaming feats are superhuman.

nice review Bo :messenger_heart:

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
The fact that you had to play it for so long to beat it is exactly why it needs a save system. Otherwise the game is fucking amazing. I disagree about the jumps feeling floaty. I find traversal to be amazingly tight. I do agree that a bunch of weapons, and alt fires, are significantly worse than the others. I wish that was balanced better.

Last edited:

saintjules

Thanks for this Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem ! It's clear to me that I have done some mistakes and will have to reconfigure my run techniques.
Don't be shy to exploit some weakness sometimes as I use the doors to block the enemy and as a shield for the counter.

Haha, I did this in the 2nd Biome. Seems to work, but sometimes enemies can still clip through the door and attack.

- DON'T FUCKING GO TO THE GOLDEN GATE IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO: Those are wave-based and could end up fighting 3 bosses simultaneously. Rewards can be good, but tried one and wasn't that good as I was forced to do so in one mission. It looks like the same main mission door but yellow with a star above. Had my early second death there.

Feels like a suicide mission sometimes. I cleared one once in the 1st Biome.

- Don't pick up a higher level weapon "just because": Check the stats, and understand what you need. To me, there is that machine gun I prefer "Hollowseeker", carbine "Tachyomatic Carbine" comes second, and the pistol "Modified Sidearm SD-M8" third. The rest are pure garbage to me in the long run.

I agree on this. Those are the 2-3 guns I use and prefer. The one mistake I make is saying 'oooh, shiny thing!' when picking up items without actually reading what they are. Like the parasites. BTW, I see there's no way to unequip the parasites. Is that correct?

- Permanent suit upgrades are crucial: Because you can reach areas you usually can't without them and could mean getting some health regain or better loot.

The link doesn't work.

- In worst scenario, go back to the SHIP to sleep and regain health: Don't be afraid to go all the way back to the ship before proceeding to fight a boss with low health.

I have not found a way to get back to the ship once you cross the portal to the 2nd Biome. Can you tell us if it's actually possible to go back to the ship prior to dying in this area?

Last edited:
Great review, mate! Very concise and informative.

I was about to pull the trigger yesterday and buy it on Amazon, but that thing about not having mid-run saves puts me off a bit. Although I put aside some time to game everyday, most times I can't play for prolonged periods of time and I don't like leaving my consoles on rest mode... I feel like I'd rush my playthroughs and it would hamper my enjoyment of the game. I think I'll wait until they address that in an update or something, even though it sounds like an absolute gem and right up my alley.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Dude, good tips. Somehow I failed to realize I could dash through lasers.
I only played about an hour yesterday but it’s extremely fun.

I've also already died 4 times :lollipop_confounded:

Yeah watching every single preview help a lot btw. It's really wonderful and enjoyable! Gonna play and explore further.

This game is absolutely incredible.

What people can’t really get across is just how integral everything comes together.
The gameplay, audio, design, environment, effects, dual sense, it’s a combination of so many elements, perfectly tuned that makes this game special. Housemarque have created something very special here.

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem thanks for all the efforts you put in to inform of this game. It’s the reason I bought it 😊👍

You're welcome! Loved the game, really!

You've beaten the game in 11hours and you said the difficulty is decent? Shit, I'm screwed :D.

Happy to buy it on some sale though as your comments confirms the game will be good!

I think not losing progress since the 1st biome made perks stack up and ending up a but overpowered. Had like 3 parasites and around 6 suit augments with major perks.

Well, I personally would be disappointed by completing any game in one or two days at £70. No matter how good it is.

Certainly doesn’t look like a game you would replay again. That’s like Inception!

Definitely one to wait for a price drop. I would imagine by the time I get a PS5 (it’s in my plans), it’ll be on sale for peanuts anyway!

Fair enough. I'll still play through the levels as some places are inaccessible during one run as you miss some permanent upgrades for traversal, like going underwater or the grappling hook.

It's hard I am to old 🤣 had real problems with the first boss... Reminds me of sekiro where I got to the last boss and gave up after 3 nights of trying. My reflexes suck so I need to get creative...

The game gave me some decent challenge, not hard but satisfying enough.

I'm struggling a little with it tbh. I've died a few times now being stuck on scenery or enemies hitting me from the side. It's good and I'm certainly going to finish it, but I don't think it's quite the 9/10 some are giving it.

I think experience varies from one to another. Many people shit on AC Odyssey and I think it's 10/10, also I think Mass Effect: Andromeda is 9/10 (played it after the final patch, still had bugs but not a deal breaker).

I've just started, 20 mins in. It's worth watching every video tutorial that pops up because it tells you that you can dash through lasers at the start of the game.

Yes, many missed that. I watched most previews so I came in well prepared.

Bo the beast, 11 hours of solid gameplay in order to see every butt shot that Milf has to offer. :messenger_beaming:

Remember guys and girls, that 11 hours is not a normal representation of what average users will get out of the game.

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem was brought up running with camels and bench pressing date tree carts as a child, his gaming feats are superhuman.

nice review Bo :messenger_heart:

Haha! Funnily, didn't use the extra suits. Thank you, brother!

How in the world did you only die 5 times. Girl that first boss had me kicking.

First boss nearly killed me, health bar was like 1mm. But go nuts in such situations and heart pumping, adrenaline is a nice drug! The rest were fairly easy later on.

Looking at the guns Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem recommends they all seem to be longer range effectiveness - so I can imagine he is popping out behind cover and running away and chipping them down rather than blasting in with a shotty is my guess ?

Not played it yet,,,,

Yup, I would say the best alt attack is the sheild breaker, so fast and devastating and helps with the turrets far away or any enemy from a far distance.

Bo for president. Awesome breakdown. Will keep it all in mind when I do my run.

Glad to help, mate! Also I won't say no for a president, having all possible gaming gear handed to me in a golden plate. :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Can we lock this thread please? We have multiple reurnal threads. Dont need all this for one game.

This thread should help most struggling gaffers. I posted on the other threads but because of too many pages some keep making the same complaints so now it's easier to get and check. Also might update stuff later if needed.

Please don’t lock this thread.
Nice thoughts and feedback that I’ll def use so nice to have it handy to access.

Welcome, my brother-in-United! Hope it proves handy!

70 pound and Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem completes it the day its released. I would be really effing annoyed haha

Well, it's 11 hours in pure quality. Zero boring times. Also gonna still play it and finish what I'm missing, like the golden gates. Overall $70 is the new $60.

The fact that you had to play it for so long to beat it is exactly why it needs a save system. Otherwise the game is fucking amazing. I disagree about the jumps feeling floaty. I find traversal to be amazingly tight. I do agree that a bunch of weapons, and alt fires, are significantly worse than the others. I wish that was balanced better.

Yup, saving mid-run should be crucial. Although it's not biggy to just quit and respawn back, you can quickly regain most of the upgrades, or at least the ones that matter. Shield breaker is the best alt fire to me, other are good for horde control and so, but this one is very good for shielded enemies and deals great amount of damage.

Love the review Bo. May i ask how about the horror part. Due to my anxiety, i can't watch extreme horror things.
:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Pretty mild, no jump scares or that BS. It's more like thriller than horror, or let's say mysterious. I personally don't play horror games.

Took me 3 tries. Once you see the patterns, it got a whole lot easier. What was frustrating was getting back as some enemies can wipe you out if not careful.

The 3rd biome is the hardest in my opinion, most of the rest are manageable. I think fighting hordes are harder than the main bosses where you only concentrate on one. Just don't throw yourself in the middle of the chaos! Will reply to your extensive post later.

There are six bosses? I thought there were five.

Have that in a spoiler just in case! And the answer is *I made a mistake, you're right.

*EDIT

Last edited:

nerdface

Banned
Yikes.

It’s pretty uncommon to see no difficulty mechanics in a rogue-like after you finish it. And $70. 🤪

maybe they will patch in a heat-like setting, or the boss cells from DC

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The way you describe it seems like it may be less hard than I am anticipating? Will pick up on sale if that is the case

Not sure how hard it'll mean to each. It all depends on your skills. For example RDR2 was one of the easiest games that I've ever played, The Witcher 3 on Deathmarch was insanely easy as well. God of War and Uncharted 4 were very punishing at GMGOW and Crushing difficulties.

Does it use HDR?

Yes! And it looks wonderful, fairly lit compared to the very dark footage on youtube. What's happening on youtube is that they are crushing HDR into SDR. Put in mind my TV is pretty old (2016 Sony X700D 4K HDR), only 500-nits and edge lit.

Great review, mate! Very concise and informative.

I was about to pull the trigger yesterday and buy it on Amazon, but that thing about not having mid-run saves puts me off a bit. Although I put aside some time to game everyday, most times I can't play for prolonged periods of time and I don't like leaving my consoles on rest mode... I feel like I'd rush my playthroughs and it would hamper my enjoyment of the game. I think I'll wait until they address that in an update or something, even though it sounds like an absolute gem and right up my alley.

You don't have to, really. It just happened that my 3rd run I passed through all biomes without losing progress due to using the Reconstrcutor. I'm usually very cautions and did some exploits when devastated by the hordes and nearly died many times than just 5. I would still play it because it has good replayability value imho.

I wish I could have bought this for 45 squid :(

You would find used ones in a week or so, don't worry!

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem nice review!!! Add me on PSN,
PSN ID OverHeat

Thanks! Added, same as here (Bo_Hazem).

Miles was 11 hours and I still Platinumed it.

You guys can add me too.

Added! (Bo_Hazem)

$70 for a 10 hour game? I'll stick with Pokemon Snap and get 25+ hours. This one will be nice to pick up down the road for something like $5 or $10.

IDK, mate. WTF is Pokemon Snap? Some other gamers got up to 50-100 hours, it all depends on your skills and sometimes luck. Don't sleep on it because it was a quality time with zero boredom but here being totally honest so one can decide for himself.

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem
next stop souls games. No more messing around. It’s time to put your skills to the test against Sekiro final boss ;)

I don't stomach souls games, they feel clunky to me and lack story. Sekiro though looks fantastic but also I can't play old games, so might as well skip it and buy the next sequel.

you mean "finished" 1 full run is nothing

Yes, finished the main story. Also you can jump back to the last biome quickly in case you die and get weapon level to match the biome.

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem You haven't played Souls yet??

I really don't like them, even for free won't touch them. That includes the new remake of Demon's Souls. Sekiro though looks like the best out of them.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yikes.

It’s pretty uncommon to see no difficulty mechanics in a rogue-like after you finish it. And $70. 🤪

maybe they will patch in a heat-like setting, or the boss cells from DC

Some folks are facing a lot of difficulty. It gives decent challenge, well balanced. I think they were a bit cautious and have casuals in mind. If they had saves for each biome then they can raise the difficulty.

Just jealous you even have a PS5

Hope you get yours soon, brother!

My hint:

- Git Gud

jk nice thread ^^

Thanks, mate!

GHG

Gold Member
Thanks for this Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem , about to dive in tonight.

giphy.webp

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I forgot to add to my comment, I'm still waiting for that PS5

that you were going to give me
:lollipop_crying:

Hope you get yours soon, brother ;)

@bo_id like to pick it up new ideally so I can ensure the devs get the sale and the money, not a retailer.

That's better! Just skip 2 meals and you'll manage, or one weekend in the bar.:lollipop_tears_of_joy::messenger_winking_tongue: Just to put perspective, I lean towards story more nowadays, this game is 90% gameplay.

Thanks for this Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem , about to dive in tonight.

giphy.webp

Just close notifications, close your phone, and the door! Use a Pulse 3D or any good headset for better locality, you would need it!

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Hope you get yours soon, brother ;)

That's better! Just skip 2 meals and you'll manage, or one weekend in the bar.:lollipop_tears_of_joy::messenger_winking_tongue: Just to put perspective, I lean towards story more nowadays, this game is 90% gameplay.
But you seem to have the skills, you gotta get onto demons souls and sekiro!

Top Bottom