• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After all the mockery is Cyberpunk 2077 a good game?

Do you like Cyberpunk 2077?

• It is a very good game.

Votes: 165 46.7%
  • It is a good game.

Votes: 99 28.0%
  • It is only ok

Votes: 77 21.8%
  • It is very bad

Votes: 12 3.4%

• Total voters

Schmendrick

The game has amazing story- character- and world-immersion on a level which comes along only once or twice per decade. It is an absolute must play for people who want that.
But that is paired with only "good" standard gameplay.

It really is a CDPR game, Witcher 3 had the same imbalance.

Drizzlehell

Banned
This game is certainly a commendable effort, but it lacked the ability to captivate me in the same way that The Witcher 3 did. This may be due to its storyline, which is far more somber and realistic, avoiding the use of world-ending threats and grandiose themes that overshadow the protagonist's journey. The narrative in Cyberpunk does not depict a heroic tale, rather it portrays the unfortunate life of a struggling individual in a cruel and oppressive society. V is merely a hapless victim who becomes embroiled in a plot to secure their own future, a future that is anything but glamorous, and may involve a continued existence as a petty criminal mercenary.

Unlike other games, V is not out to save a princess or long-lost relative, nor to vanquish a monstrous dragon, avenge a murdered king, or prevent a cataclysmic event caused by extraterrestrial beings. Instead, they are more of a low-life who battles an affliction that pervades throughout the game, and whose main objective is to find a cure for it. This sense of pathos gives the game certain appeal, particularly when you consider the cast of diverse and colorful characters that you encounter along the way. However, the storyline of Cyberpunk is far from glamorous, which may explain why it failed to elicit the same level of excitement as The Witcher 3 did for me.

Last edited:

hinch7

CP2077 was always really good game, released in a rushed and broken state on consoles. Which is where most of the negativity and beef comes from.. That, and the unnaturally high and lofty expectations people were expecting from this game (do wished they had flying cars though). I played on PC at launch and it was one of my best if not the best games of that year. Loved the story, characters, enviroment(s) and music.

Granted there were some annoyances and bugs at launch, none were completely game breaking on PC. Though there were stuff like the broken Ai including the wanted system that were clearly in need of some work.

Last edited:

Olimbox

Neo Member
I bought to play it in VR about 2 weeks ago, expecting that all bugs were ironed out. I enjoyed the first hour or so, but then I started to see several graphic bugs, like npcs on Tpose, going through walls, or on top of each other 1 meter in the air, and it was a bit immersion breaking for me. So I put it on the side, maybe get back to it in the future

simpatico

Hell yes it is. One of the top 5 easily from this new gen. A sequel would instantly be among my most hyped upcoming releases.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Bought it on the XSX and after 15-20 hours of gameplay i just bailed out :

- The world felt..."buggy" and soulless for a lack of a better word, clipping through NPCs , many NPCs just being there static with glitchy animations whenever you interacted/bumped into them with the streets feeling lifeless most the time.

- I just couldn't anymore with that voice-acting and "chum" this, "chum" that plus the constant swearing etc, i understand that it's how the world is set-up lore-wise but i just couldn't, everything felt too edgy for me.

- Game systems were just...not for me since i found them to be incredibly annoying, boring and repetitive : the bounty mechanic was just there to pad the game out, as were the myriad of "help the police" side quests etc etc.

- This - IMO - is the game's biggest fault on consoles : The friggin' freelook & aiming sensitivity is/was just NOPE, no matter the customization options and fine-tuning it NEVER felt good, the camera was either too slow or too fast with some of the wonkiest acceleration curves i've ever encountered in a game, it always felt like you could only point/aim in a box-like aiming zone - just like RE8 unpatched on the xbox.
I don't know how RE4 Remake plays and feels on the xbox (apparently not well since most users are up in arms about it) but if it feels like this game...oh boy.
I still don't get how some developers can fuck up freelook/aiming on consoles with terrible acceleration/deadzone/acc.curve inputs - in games where shooting and camera usage is paramount of all things, it's just unacceptable for fuck's sake.
This problem made exploration a chore since it always felt like i was fighting with a rubber band camera every time i was pointing towards the 10075406657nth collectible item/text/audio-log and when it came to the actual fighting/shooting...could never shoot/aim properly at enemies 'cause of it.
Basically, on consoles, you must rely mostly on stealth or melee weaponry/augs as to be able to have some "fun".

Having said all of this, the game's biggest problem for me was that it just didn't have that "X factor" that good games have, everything felt like a chore, everything was boring - from the dialogue to the actual action bits and game-world - and it felt like a soulless experience through and through with no real artistic (nor entertainment) drive behind it, truly one of the most unfun games i ever played.
In my humble opinion, this game is just rotten to its core and no game patches nor graphical updates can elevate it from what it truly is : a mediocre game through and through.

DarthPutin

Got the plat last month. Loved every minute of it. It’s going to have that launch day stink on it forever, and maybe even for good reason. I loved the world, the story, the side missions were usually as substantial as a “real” one, the voice acting was great, the animations felt extremely natural And hand crafted instead of stiff as hell like we’ve come to expect in this type of game - and on and on.
Sounds like I might love it. It's too bad that the main attraction - the aesthetic and vibe of Cyberpunk is actually not to my taste. Still might try it. I miss a little edge and darker storytelling.

Mr Branding

Since I didn’t touch it by now, is it best to wait the upcoming Dlc or jump in now? Is it known if the dlc brings addition to the gameplay of the vanilla game?

I have tried to play it a few times, post-all the patching and fixing, on Series X. I just cannot get into it. It has failed to get it's hooks in me multiple times and I completely regret ever buying it. Hopefully Witcher 4 or the Witcher 1 Remake can redeem CDPR.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
Yes, but let's not mention cars at higher distance :messenger_grinning_sweat:

cyberpunk-2077-traffic.jpeg

It's one of my all-time favourite games, I have 118 hours on PC, plus 50 and counting on PS5.
they are going to release the ray tracing overdrive update but cant be bothered to fix that shit☝️

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
For those of us that haven’t bought or played it yet Can you please share why it is fundamentally flawed
AssCreed map, leveling system is unbalanced, worst case of ludonarrative dissonance in modern gaming. They want you to explore the world but at the same time the plot puts you on the clock and remind you of it constantly.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
AssCreed map, leveling system is unbalanced, worst case of ludonarrative dissonance in modern gaming. They want you to explore the world but at the same time the plot puts you on the clock and remind you of it constantly.

Dumb reasoning. You have an unknown amount of time before bad shit happens, what would you do? Cry in a corner? Ofc you're going to do what V always wanted to do, and that is become the biggest hotshit in Nightcity. The main plot never rushes you into anything. It just tells you that you dont have much time. Same logic can be applied to a TON of games that you loved. Lets take Mass Effect for example. The galaxy is in huge immediate danger but Shepard has time to fuck every companion he meets, spend time in bars, and whatever else.

Guilty_AI

For those of us that haven’t bought or played it yet Can you please share why it is fundamentally flawed
Not much different than The Witcher 3. Some unbalanced RPG systems, extremely hard at the beginning, becomes very easy as you level up. Still far better than TW3 combat and RPG systems tho.

Its not as "fundamentaly flawed" as some try to make it out to be, it can be improved but its honestly way better than other stuff i've seen in other games.
>Quest design is many levels above the horrendous ones in 3D GTA games (and RDR2), but just ok among RPGs in general.
>Better shooting/combat than almost any and all FPS RPG games, but below FPS and action focused games.
>Open world design is your typical ubisoft title with tons of quest markers, but unlike ubisoft they do go out of their way to make quests and gigs unique and interesting on their own, with their own stories and unique moments. Even NCPD hustlers, which are the most mundane of activities (basically hot spots with enemies that you must clear out) have their own story and context if you stop to read the files you find and look for enviromental clues.

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
Bought the digital PS4 version when it was $25 and they said it was going to be free upgrade on PS5, Played when the next gen upgrade arrived, had a great time, it's a very good game, fun combat and great environments, and it ran good and looked good on PS5 and i was pleased, story and characters were also good, not as great as The Witcher 3 but still good.

Not much different than The Witcher 3. Some unbalanced RPG systems, extremely hard at the beginning, becomes very easy as you level up. Still far better than TW3 combat and RPG systems tho.

Its not as "fundamentaly flawed" as some try to make it out to be, it can be improved but its honestly way better than other stuff i've seen in other games.
>Quest design is many levels above the horrendous ones in 3D GTA games (and RDR2), but just ok among RPGs in general.
>Better shooting/combat than almost any and all FPS RPG games, but below FPS and action focused games.
>Open world design is your typical ubisoft title with tons of quest markers, but unlike ubisoft they do go out of their way to make quests and gigs unique and interesting on their own, with their own stories and unique moments. Even NCPD hustlers, which are the most mundane of activities (basically hot spots with enemies that you must clear out) have their own story and context if you stop to read the files you find and look for enviromental clues.
Some of the NCPD link together too - or provide some more back story to biggest quests.

Madflavor

I love it, but it was a bug ridden disaster at launch, and it definitely wasn't the game that it was marketed to be. They marketed Cyberpunk 2077 as a deep and complex RPG, which it obviously wasn't.

In it's current state I love the game a lot more than I did at launch. I love the additions, I rarely run into bugs, and I've grown to appreciate the game for what it is.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Dumb reasoning. You have an unknown amount of time before bad shit happens, what would you do? Cry in a corner? Ofc you're going to do what V always wanted to do, and that is become the biggest hotshit in Nightcity. The main plot never rushes you into anything. It just tells you that you dont have much time. Same logic can be applied to a TON of games that you loved. Lets take Mass Effect for example. The galaxy is in huge immediate danger but Shepard has time to fuck every companion he meets, spend time in bars, and whatever else.
Dude the plot is in direct conflict with the game. No other game will rush you even in side quest because your character is running out of time plot wise when in reality your character is enjoying his sweet as time and getting actually stronger by leveling all the your parts instead of following the plot logic. Further discussion will go into spoilers but anyone who played the game understand.

Guilty_AI

No other game will rush you even in side quest because your character is running out of time plot wise
131358583_439246897466731_3885961705149600613_n.png

The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, GTA V... all do this. If anything, it actually works better in Cyberpunk since you can interpret V as being mostly resigned to his fate, in which case it would make perfect sense to try and live a little like a person with a terminal disease would.

Last edited:

begotten

It became decent because most people who like it now ended it up playing it with no expectations and for dirt cheap. Then it got extra PR points for continued support and having the anime series.

It's just fine, definitely not good or great. It's still a stiff open world game with an average plot.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
As a PC gamer my experience is a bit different than console folks. I thought it was a great game at launch, and now it's a more polished experience but not a transformatively different game than it ever was. It falls short of some of its promises, particularly in terms of factions and branching narrative, but it still drew me in and told great stories and offered a really compelling world.

On console I get it went from technical disaster to playable especially on current gen systems. Last gen is still kind of a mess.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Dude the plot is in direct conflict with the game. No other game will rush you even in side quest because your character is running out of time plot wise when in reality your character is enjoying his sweet as time and getting actually stronger by leveling all the your parts instead of following the plot logic. Further discussion will go into spoilers but anyone who played the game understand.

No one understands your dumb point. Its a game. Its not a real life urgent time passing. It never says HOW much time you have nor does the game throw in your face that you have limited time besides some small key dialogue moments in the main story. Also, doing everything on the map, for V it could take a few days or a week, hardly "taking his time". Funny how you ignored my other game example and many other games with similar plot points. Again, its a fucking GAME. You wanted an actual clock ticking rushing you?

Drizzlehell

Banned
I agree that the developers failed to fully capitalize on the premise of the game. I think I wrote about this exact idea in a different thread before, but the addition of a fail state or a ticking clock element would have greatly enhanced the story's depth and significance. Consider, for example, the possibility that taking one's time to resolve the main quest would eventually result in the player being subsumed by Johnny Silverhand, thus compelling you to continue playing as him in the endgame scenario (kinda like what was previously done in Red Dead Redemption 2). This idea is already well-supported by the game's mechanics and groundwork, as evidenced by the player's ability to assume the role of Silverhand during flashback sequences. The incorporation of a multiple-ending scenario would have been an obvious way to capitalize on a role-playing framework too.

Griffon

I enjoyed the ride. The story and graphics held everything else up.

I fear I might not enjoy the expansion as much, once the initial impression is gone, the gameplay is very uneven and the AI is too dumb to take full advantage of the abilities you have. I hope the story of the DLC will be as enjoyable as the main game, but I'm afraid it wont be.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
No one understands your dumb point. Its a game. Its not a real life urgent time passing. It never says HOW much time you have nor does the game throw in your face that you have limited time besides some small key dialogue moments in the main story. Also, doing everything on the map, for V it could take a few days or a week, hardly "taking his time". Funny how you ignored my other game example and many other games with similar plot points. Again, its a fucking GAME. You wanted an actual clock ticking rushing you?
What other example of a game with the character moaning every time he wakes up as he might die any fucking minute and the same time you go clear the fucking Assassin Creed map with every icon imaginable. Oh it is a game??? Excuse me i’m not the one who is writing a serious story. It is the fucking dev you that you are defending with your “dumb” reply.

Guilty_AI

Consider, for example, the possibility that taking one's time to resolve the main quest would eventually result in the player being subsumed by Johnny Silverhand, thus compelling you to continue playing as him in the endgame scenario
Ticking clock mechanics are almost never a good idea

hemo memo

Gold Member
I agree that the developers failed to fully capitalize on the premise of the game. I think I wrote about this exact idea in a different thread before, but the addition of a fail state or a ticking clock element would have greatly enhanced the story's depth and significance. Consider, for example, the possibility that taking one's time to resolve the main quest would eventually result in the player being subsumed by Johnny Silverhand, thus compelling you to continue playing as him in the endgame scenario (kinda like what was previously done in Red Dead Redemption 2). This idea is already well-supported by the game's mechanics and groundwork, as evidenced by the player's ability to assume the role of Silverhand during flashback sequences. The incorporation of a multiple-ending scenario would have been an obvious way to capitalize on a role-playing framework too.
I agree. It would have been better to do it this way. I mean they could’ve handled it millions of ways. Didn’t Far Cry 4 have an ending in the 15 minute of the game that actually works with the plot brilliantly? Bioshock Infinite with the death and respawn actually making sense in the context of the story?

They were hyping this “Night City” but you know what! I don’t want to explore the city with a plot that remind you every time yo get going.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Ticking clock mechanics are almost never a good idea
I didn't mean it as a literal clock on the screen, ticking away and putting pressure on the player.

It would be more of a stealth mechanic (as in, working in the background) and you could even incorporate some sort of morality system into it. For example, being more rebellious and aggressive would get you closer to being taken over by Silverhand, while more stealthy and subtle approach would keep you going as V longer. Those pills that Misty gives you could also be factored into it somehow - pop one to speed up the process, pop the other to slow it down. Maybe have some missions where you need to restock on pills, a'la Far Cry 2, only less tedious? Idk, just throwing ideas out there...

Bottom line, just imagine how giving into Silverhand's influence would have severe impact on how specific story quests, and make it possible for them to play out in a completely different way and lead to completely different outcomes and endings. Now THAT would be a fucking great role-playing game that would get me excited.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I didn't mean it as a literal clock on the screen, ticking away and putting pressure on the player.

It would be more of a stealth mechanic (as in, working in the background) and you could even incorporate some sort of morality system into it. For example, being more rebellious and aggressive would get you closer to being taken over by Silverhand, while more stealthy and subtle approach would keep you going as V longer. Those pills that Misty gives you could also be factored into it somehow - pop one to speed up the process, pop the other to slow it down. Maybe have some missions where you need to restock on pills, a'la Far Cry 2, only less tedious? Idk, just throwing ideas out there...

Bottom line, just imagine how giving into Silverhand's influence would have severe impact on how specific story quests, and make it possible for them to play out in a completely different way and lead to completely different outcomes and endings. Now THAT would be a fucking great role-playing game that would get me excited.
Absolutely.

Guilty_AI

This is the kind of thing sounds great on paper but doesn't work as intended. It doesn't matter if the clock was hidden or adjustable by your actions, players would figure it out either way and feel pressured in the end.

And silverhand taking over Vs body early would just kill the entire plot. I know people always think having these vastly different branches are good but truth is this sort of approach just turn stories uninteresting and directionless majority of the time. Even famous hardcore RPGs have one-direction plots that mostly end up in the same place.

Drizzlehell

Banned
This is the kind of thing sounds great on paper but doesn't work as intended. It doesn't matter if the clock was hidden or adjustable by your actions, players would figure it out either way and feel pressured in the end.

And silverhand taking over Vs body early would just kill the entire plot. I know people always think having these vastly different branches are good but truth is this sort of approach just turn stories uninteresting and directionless majority of the time. Even famous hardcore RPGs have one-direction plots that mostly end up in the same place.
I don't see you coming up with any better ideas. Only complaining and nay-saying.

Guilty_AI

I don't see you coming up with any better ideas. Only complaining and nay-saying.
There's no better idea. What they did was the best approach they could've done with the plot they were working with, at least regarding this specific aspect.

The alternatives were either implement annoying mechanics that would bother players more than 'immerse' them a la Far Cry 2, or come up with a different plot.

Jada_Li

Banned
Well Cyberpunk 2077 was the game that made me want to go into high-end PC gaming, so of course I got it on PC and was amazed. Sure it had glitches as all games do, but I didn't encounter anything game breaking and finished the game. I remember having a lot of fun, enjoying the graphics, lore, world, characters and gameplay. Actually, it seems most if not all PC players didn't have a lot of bugs as in the console versions. It seems CP2077 for PC was first and foremost but I think it was a bad call to have it on old gen console systems when the game was clearly meant to be played in new gen only. But higher-ups typically are going to do what higher-ups typically do.

Drizzlehell

Banned
There's no better idea. What they did was the best approach they could've done with the plot they were working with, at least regarding this specific aspect.

The alternatives were either implement annoying mechanics that would bother players more than 'immerse' them a la Far Cry 2, or come up with a different plot.
the-dude-yeah-well-you-know-thats-just-like-your-opinion-man.gif

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
What other example of a game with the character moaning every time he wakes up as he might die any fucking minute and the same time you go clear the fucking Assassin Creed map with every icon imaginable. Oh it is a game??? Excuse me i’m not the one who is writing a serious story. It is the fucking dev you that you are defending with your “dumb” reply.

Every single game on the planet have stories where urgency is important, lore wise, but just because you have to rescue Earth or save someone or avoid dying doesnt mean the story or the game sucks just because you went and did 100hours of side quests you fucking dumb-ass. I've heard a lot of stupid takes but yours is just, nonsense. If you have a main quest where the character has a few days before something bad happens, and I take 500hours and take a break from the game, by your logic, that means the plot sucks. Lmfao.

Denton

GOTY 2020, the atmosphere, worldbuilding, general detail of the world, great quests, interesting charismatic characters and interactions, unparalleled first person animations, multifaceted gameplay...I could go on. Lastgen release was a shame, but "My PC" version is just awesome and always has been.

I mean this is an RPG with interactive dialogue, multilevel character progression, choices and consequences, multiple detailed and extremely different endings and it takes place in huge extremely detailed open cyberpunk city that nobody has portrayed like this yet. It has more cars with more detail in them than many racing games. While being an RPG. How fucking cool is that?

Last edited:

EDMIX

It's difficult to say

The game from reveal to its previews to its final release it's so different than what was promised and marketed one could make a very solid argument for false advertisement for god sakes the genre of the fucking game isn't even the same. So is there an enjoyable game somewhere in all of this failure? I believe there is, but I believe it's so far removed it's justifiable for someone to feel that it's a disappointment because they are after all marketing something that isn't the final game...

Keep in mind the official YouTube seems to have no problem keeping this footage up despite all of the controversy which doesn't really help any of this if anything it proves there was an intent to have people purchased the game based on an assumption or false pretext.

For me I love science fiction so I'm always going to like the setting but I can't agree with any particular game is not enough and it's completely fucking stupid for anyone to believe that people should be purchasing games for that exact reason I still need an actual functional game.

So much more could have been done with this game and it locks so much substance it just feels like hollow window dressing. So much more could have been done regarding the actual world and even narrative of the story

So it's not the worst game of all time, but it's also a game I'd be very careful about recommending to people..... Anyone looking at this is going to believe it's an open world game like other titles, not knowing of how shallow and hollow the world actually is in regards to interactions.

So of course they're gonna look at previews and even the most recent trailers showing police and ambulances thinking the game is about that.... Correction it is a game in which you see a cut scene of that actually happening and not something that is normally occurring in the world freely. When you even look at the original trailer, its clear they are leading people to believe these are organic things that occur in the overworld, not merely an exact mission. When you are riding with Jacky in the beginning, that is shown in the trailer, the shootout, the EMTs, the SWAT drop ship thing etc. Why would anyone not believe that is what occurs normally in the world? You can get chased by tanks in GTA, helicopters exist in other games, ambulances etc. So nothing shown would lead anyone to believe that some how CAN'T be done, they'd just see it as "ohhhh yea, that is what happens in GTA 3" and believe if they shoot and kill someone, those things will occur.

So for what it currently is, someone can find enjoyment in it, but if they are buying it based on WHAT the game is currently marketing still, yea....they are going to have a bad time the moment they start questioning all dead things in the world like slow NPC or window dressing stuff, they may not feel that way going into it, if it was never marketed to be some open world next level thing tbh. Its not like we are asking of this in Uncharted or Deus Ex or something. They never made those claims or market themselves to be that type of thing.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
I wish we had gotten this version of the game. In the trailer the world looks so alive and real....

Last edited:

Alex11

they are going to release the ray tracing overdrive update but cant be bothered to fix that shit☝️
Yeah, this bugs the hell out of me, all the screenshots posted and all the videos showing only the pretty side of things, but this is so jarring and you constantly see it.

I'm bad at tech stuff, is it really possible that this can't be fixed or there isn't any method to hide it better?

mansoor1980

Gold Member
Yeah, this bugs the hell out of me, all the screenshots posted and all the videos showing only the pretty side of things, but this is so jarring and you constantly see it.

I'm bad at tech stuff, is it really possible that this can't be fixed or there isn't any method to hide it better?
the RED engine is old and limited , and i agree that they should try to hide stuff like that (like in GTA5)
thankfully they have switched to UE5 for future games

Mikey Jr.

Literally Still have my PS4 copy sealed that I bought day 1 for my ps5.....lol.

I decided to just keep waiting till some 2.0 patch happens.

Lets see what happens with Phantom Liberty.

ClosBSAS

its a better game than witcher 3, worse game than witcher 2....w3 beats it cause of the dlc which was glorious. but its an amazing game.

Top Bottom