• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2012 |OT| Kevin Sheedy 2.0 [RIP John McCarthy]

Status
Not open for further replies.

midonnay

It'd be nice if the bombers could slap themselves out of their stupor and take down the pies...

Dockers first round of the finals would be nightmarish!!!

maladroid

I'm glad I've had the alcohol I've had tonight. Numbs the pain. Not the first time we've had a big win and then lost the next round. (pies bombers, giants saints, dees port, now bombers suns). This takes the cake. Saints play a bunch of kids and beat an expansion team by 20 goals. We had a finals berth on the line, and put in that performance. Wonder what happens now. To Ratts, I mean. Freo are a sure thing now. Derby should make a great elimination final.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Derby should make a great elimination final.

Oh wow, never thought of that. Should be an amazing contest. Freo seem to always get up for that game. The North - Geelong game should be interesting also (if it falls that way). See if we're actually up for the match this time.

I'm glad I've had the alcohol I've had tonight. Numbs the pain. Not the first time we've had a big win and then lost the next round. (pies bombers, giants saints, dees port, now bombers suns). This takes the cake. Saints play a bunch of kids and beat an expansion team by 20 goals. We had a finals berth on the line, and put in that performance. Wonder what happens now. To Ratts, I mean. Freo are a sure thing now. Derby should make a great elimination final.

Surely Ratts is gone. The Blues have gone backwards this year. Malthouse to slot in nicely and actually get something out of the players.

maladroid

Surely Ratts is gone. The Blues have gone backwards this year. Malthouse to slot in nicely and actually get something out of the players.
He probably is, but it can't be all his fault. 20+ more inside 50s. 10+ more scoring shots. You're right that we have this year. Injuries account for some of that, but there's no way last year's lot would have lost to the likes of the Suns or Port. Still didn't pose a threat to the top teams this year (besides the Pies), either.

Possible Malthouse and Cloke double, ugh. Not so hot on the latter (would rather pay somebody what he's asking for to teach Casboult to kick). Felt that the club should honour Ratten's contract, but the buck ultimately stops at the coach. The rot started to set in after the first Essendon match this season, and nothing was really done to get rid of it. The players have been soft, and besides the Richmond match, we haven't shown the fight to come back when we've been down. Maybe we do need a coach to straighten the players out. Get rid of that arrogance/laziness that seems to creep in after a big win. I really don't know.

What I do know is that I won't be as excited for next season as I was this one. We were excruciatingly close in the semi last year, and hoped we could have built on that this season. With the likes of Scotland (32, our only solid 'back' player), Judd (29, still relied on to lift the team), Carrazzo (29, one of the best taggers in the comp), Waite (29, our only experienced tall option) and Simpson (28, one of our most consistent) at the age they're at, I feel like our 'premiership' window has (or almost) closed. Not really sure what a new coach would do with our list as is.

Still gutted about last night. If Freo had won today, or if we had not made it due to a loss to the Saints after a valiant fight, I wouldn't have been too disappointed with the season, all things considered.

Will be a good finals series, me thinks. West derby and Scott showdown should make a good set of elimination finals. Will probably jump on the Kangas bandwagon now. ^^

Grassy

Went and watched the Swans v Hawks at the SCG last night, great game. Could you believe though that even in a game as good as that Swans supporters were leaving the ground up to 10 minutes before the game ended. I can understand if your team is getting flogged but when it's really close like it was it makes me wonder WTF they're thinking.

GO HAWKS!

Yagharek

If it makes it any easier , Fremantle winning makes Carltons game irrelevant. Even if you had won it would be season over

maladroid

If it makes it any easier , Fremantle winning makes Carltons game irrelevant. Even if you had won it would be season over
Thanks Vince, it did a little bit. Even then, unless the group had a crystal ball, we still had a sniff last night and played like that. I've been able to hide under the excuse of injuries for most of the season, but there won't be anything to deflect from that dismal performance when I come into work tomorrow.. Bar Robinson (and maybe Watson), we fielded the best team we could have and lost to a Gold Coast reserves team.

Yagharek

Your lot had a rough mid season and dug themselves out of a hole. That's a better result than falling into the abyss like another team.

I think north, freo and st kilda were the form fringe teams though.

maladroid

Yeah, that's also true. I dunno how productive a season you can have when the solution to not having a KPF is chucking a random defender into the forward line. We'll end up right next to you in the ladder at the end of the regular season.

I agree with those three, too. Just looking at the Saints' percentage, it's a bit stiff for them to miss out. Win/Loss pattern for them has been hilariously consistent, but I feel they'll break that for the second time come the last round.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/145741/default.aspx

That whole Buckley succession saga seemed so weird to me. Malthouse seemed like he could've kept going, but maybe next year is the time he comes back in. We'll find out soon enough, I guess.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
This last round should be very interesting to see how the ladder positions play out.

Both North and Freo play weak sides on the weekend so it could be fun seeing which of the two can get the bigger win. (GWS v North, Fre v Melb) All that's separating 7th and 8th spot is 1% and with a Geelong loss they should move up to 6th and 7th.

Hawthorn play West Coast and Collingwood play Essendon so if the favorites win those West Coast will drop to 5th setting up the potential derby if Freo end up 8th.

Geelong surely need to win their game, I don't know how they sort out the final's venues but we don't want to have to travel to Perth for a final's knockout match.
Sydney will want to win for a home final though I could see them beating Adelaide anyway.

What about finals?
Screwing around with the finals predictor I think the most interesting results for the prelims would be Haw v Gee and Syd v Coll. I can't see many of the other combinations being all that competitive. Syd v Wce could be fun. I'm biased though 'cause I know my side better than any of the others and I'm not convinced on a couple sides though West Coast's ruck duo could be huge.
For me the only interesting game if Hawthorn win their game first up is against Geelong or Sydney. I think it's only between Sydney, Adelaide, North, Freo or Geelong. Sydney could be a good game given their last game against the Hawks but I think being in Melbourne would tip it in the Hawks favor. While they've had problems since the Geelong game I don't see many sides troubling Hawthorn in the prelims beside Sydney and Geelong (there's that bias again ;) - only due to their always close games).

The other side is tough also because of the away prelim.
Anyone see Adelaide being good enough to get through with 2 home games? I'm not entirely convinced tbh though you never know.

A Freo v Wce prelim is also possible but I refuse to believe Essendon could beat Collingwood this week.

jambo

So what the hell happened to North?! I recorded the match, hoping to watch it after the others I recorded (Hawthorn vs. Sydney, West Coast vs. Collingwood).

I also slightly got my hopes up with Port, silly of me. Was following the match on the AFL app at a family lunch, horrible last quarter x_x

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
So what the hell happened to North?! I recorded the match, hoping to watch it after the others I recorded (Hawthorn vs. Sydney, West Coast vs. Collingwood).

I also slightly got my hopes up with Port, silly of me. Was following the match on the AFL app at a family lunch, horrible last quarter x_x

I'm curious about North as well. Reading the after game report seems like they had their run stifled from Freo's pressure. Hopefully Jebus or another North supporter can come in and give us their opinions.

jambo

Sheeds gets one more year

KEVIN Sheedy will coach Greater Western Sydney in 2013, after the club announced a one-year contract extension for the 64-year-old.

The Giants made the announcement on Tuesday, meaning Sheedy will move into his 29th season as a senior coach.

"I'm thrilled to have been asked by the Giants to continue as head coach next year and I'm really looking forward to continuing to develop this talented young playing group and help set this club up for long term success," Sheedy said.

"I've really enjoyed the challenge of working with such a dedicated and committed group of people on and off the field and can't wait for 2013 and what should be another exciting year for the club."

Sheedy's original three-year contract ended at the end of this season but the Giants have exceeded expectations in their first year, and Sheedy's coaching and marketing appeal off the field have been key to that.

As expected.

Because it was stupid? Malthouse is one of the best coaches around, and you sack him to hold on to a popular ex player? Well, sack might be a strong word, but how in the hell do you not agree to a new contract that sees him as head coach?

Why the outburst though?

jambo

dTNJil.jpg

Friday August 31st
Hawthorn vs. West Coast @ The MCG

Saturday September 1st
Geelong vs. Sydney @ Simonds Stadium
Adelaide vs. Gold Coast @ AAMI Stadium
Greater Western Sydney vs. North Melbourne @ Skoda Stadium
Essendon vs. Collingwood @ The MCG
Fremantle vs. Melbourne @ Patersons Stadium

Sunday September 2nd
Carlton vs. St Kilda @ Etihad Stadium
Richmond vs. Port Adelaide @ The MCG
Brisbane vs. Western Bulldogs @ The Gabba

Round 23 Teams

jambo

Hawthorn
Sydney
Adelaide
North Melbourne
Collingwood
Fremantle
St Kilda
Richmond
Brisbane

This is a mix of what I think will happen and what I want to happen.

Need the Crows to stay in 3rd...

>_>

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Gotta love Port's effort that quarter. Looking good. Hopefully they can maintain which has been their problem all year.
Reiwoldt looks set to take the Coleman Medal but would love to see Hawkins win it, our first since Ablett.

Edit: Well done Port. Didn't get the win but they stuck with it all day, great to see.

midonnay

pretty embarrassing really...

I mean quentin lynch got about the same amount abit over 5 years ago... (not to mention kent (can't) kingsley)

really shows how much the game has changed.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I think I won the GAF tipping comp on tipping.afl. ;) \O/
Was a 3-way tie at the start of the round which made it interesting. Ended up picking all 9 putting me 1 up over the others. Was also within 1 of the Saints v Carlton margin which I was stoked about.

Almost the end of another footy year sadly.
Thanks to everyone who entered the tipping comp, I had fun.

jambo

I think I won the GAF tipping comp on tipping.afl. ;) \O/
Was a 3-way tie at the start of the round which made it interesting. Ended up picking all 9 putting me 1 up over the others. Was also within 1 of the Saints v Carlton margin which I was stoked about.

Almost the end of another footy year sadly.
Thanks to everyone who entered the tipping comp, I had fun.

You won by a single tip, wow. Well done mate!

I was 11 off the pace. Someone in another comp I was in on footytips.com.au got 152 =S

I reckon we should all chip in and get Andiie a Steam game or something

EDIT: The top tipping.afl.com.au winner got 160 tips o_O

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
You won by a single tip, wow. Well done mate!

I was 11 off the pace. Someone in another comp I was in on footytips.com.au got 152 =S

I reckon we should all chip in and get Andiie a Steam game or something

EDIT: The top tipping.afl.com.au winner got 160 tips o_O

Yeah, those 160s were ridiculous. My home tipping contest I ended on 146, winning by 6. I thought I did pretty well, I made some dumb tips now and again but I was fairly consistent. Not sure how I would've gone about getting another 14. And I'm sure that 160 wasn't even the highest someone has gotten either...

I appreciate the thought but no need for a prize, winning was enough. :p Anyway, I'm one of those steam game hoarders who owns more game than he's played so adding another worries me, lol. It's a nice gesture though.

If I'm around for the start of next year's footy season I'm up for another go. Hopefully we can get a few more to join as it makes the competition a lot more interesting.

maladroid

Hopefully we can start next year's comp at the start of the season, haha. Well done, Andiie! Wouldn't mind chipping in.

A bit disappointed that we won't end up with those finals I had predicted, but it's finals, so you never know.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
So pumped for this week's games. Start of the finals already!

Starting to feel the nerves for the Geelong game. I haven't paid much attention to Freo this year so not sure what to expect from them. They seem to have a very tackle friendly play style so I don't think Geelong being hugely aggressive with their tackling (which I've banked on for other games) will phase them much. Plus them having Ross Lyon as their coach doesn't help us much as we always had really tough games against the Saints.
Should be an interesting but scary game.

I've got Haw, Ade, Gee and Wce winning.
Hawks should win comfortably. Adelaide only because of their form and it's at home. Wce because of home ground adv. and in form ruck combo and Geelong you'd expect them to have a finals exp. edge over Freo plus it's in Melbourne.

Ydahs

Sorry guys, but I forgot to do the annual GAF finals tipping competition. Too busy with Uni work at the moment... I'll still do those preference lists though, starting next week.

jambo

k7QU8l.png

Friday September 7th
Hawthorn vs. Collingwood @ The MCG - 1st Qualifying Final

Saturday September 8th
Adelaide vs. Sydney @ AAMI Stadium - 2nd Qualifying Final
Geelong vs. Fremantle @ The MCG - 2nd Elimination Final

Sunday September 9th
West Coast vs. North Melbourne @ Patersons Stadium - 1st Elimination Final

jambo

Hawthorn
Sydney
Geelong
West Coast

Sydney is more hoping than thinking they'll win. I reckon North could surprise West Coast, it should be a cracking match. In the others I reckon Freo will go straight out and Collingwood will be slightly off the pace.

jambo

Finally a goal. This is great tough footy. Not too happy about the deliberate interpretation =/

EDIT: How was that not holding the ball on Roughead?!?!

Yagharek

Finally a goal. This is great tough footy. Not too happy about the deliberate interpretation =/

EDIT: How was that not holding the ball on Roughead?!?!

There's no such rule any more.

Oh yeah, tips for this week.

Hawks
Fremantle
North Melbourne
Sydney

edit: how did savage kick that?!

Ydahs

How good was that quarter? Hopefully the intensity's maintained for all four quarters, though I have a feeling Hawthorn might break loose in the second or third.

Grassy

These umpires are fucking useless, and Collingwood fans.....they expect holding the ball when a Hawks player has had the ball for 0.01 seconds, I mean come the fuck on.

jambo

These umpires are fucking useless, and Collingwood fans.....they expect holding the ball when a Hawks player has had the ball for 0.01 seconds, I mean come the fuck on.

Pretty much every crowd nowadays screams "ball" as soon as the man in possession is touched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom