• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2012 |OT| Kevin Sheedy 2.0 [RIP John McCarthy]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ydahs

Much respect for Jobe Watson, well deserved winner. Comes across as an old-school footballer with a wonderful story and he really carried his team for most of the year. Congrats champ.

fisheyes

So, what do we think of free agency so far? There's been a fair bit done in just the first day, I don't know if that sets a precedence for it to happen every day or if its all just going to be relatively front loaded. 3 weeks is probably too long for it, regardless.

Also, since I haven't been on since then, go you Swannies!

jambo

Well, well, well, Tippet has left. Saw it coming, but still a bit of a blow to the Crows

Tippet leaving Crows

OrPf6.jpg

ADELAIDE has lost the battle to keep star forward Kurt Tippett, with the 25-year-old telling the club he wants out.

As Tippett is not a free agent, the Crows will seek to trade the forward to a rival club.

With his family based on the Gold Coast, the two Queensland clubs, Brisbane Lions and Gold Coast, are seen to be in the box seat to secure his services.

Tippett was linked to the Brisbane Lions earlier this year.

With former forward Brendan Fevola's hefty contract now paid out, they would have the money to afford him, while playing for the Suns would allow him to be close to his family.

But with interest from several other clubs, the situation could play out as it did for Mitch Clark, who last year told the Lions he wanted to go home to Perth, before accepting a better offer from Melbourne.

The Sydney Swans and Collingwood are also said to be interested in Tippett, who has played 104 games since he was drafted by the Crows with pick 32 at the 2006 NAB AFL Draft.

fisheyes

The whole Tippett thing is a little odd. By all reports all year Crows were absolutely throwing money at him, but he didn't really care about the money and wanted to go home to his family, which is a reasonable request, I guess. Then it was suggested that he was sick of being scrutinised by the media, and just wanted to go somewhere where he would have a low profile (wah wah, cry more), which is obviously where Sydney fits in to it (as would either QLD team), so I guess they make sense too, but its the emergence of the Collywobbles that makes no sense to me - even if they get rid of Wellingham and Dawes, I still can't picture them making a larger offer than the Crows, and if you think you're getting to pressured by being in the Crows in Adelaide, surely you wouldn't pick to go to Collingwood.

jambo

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/tea...och-as-president/story-e6frf9mo-1226486172027

otZo7.jpg

ONLY one board member linked to the Mark Williams and Matthew Primus coaching appointments will be left at Alberton today to pick Port Adelaide's new coach.

Alex Panas, a member-elected director since 2006 and part of Power's search party for the new coach, will survive the bloodletting until the club's annual meeting in December.

Sydney-based television personality David Koch will be confirmed this afternoon as Port's new president after half the seats in the boardroom at Alberton are cleared.

Koch will lead a new, untainted board that is expected to confirm Leon Cameron's appointment as Port's senior coach as early as tomorrow.

Current president Brett Duncanson, fellow SANFL-appointed directors Nick House, David Basheer and Mick O'Connor, and member-elected football director Bruce Abernethy will all have their commissions removed.

This follows significant talks between Port chief executive Keith Thomas and SANFL and AFL bosses at AFL House in Melbourne on Saturday morning.

Koch will lead a board spread between Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney.

I think it's a great choice. It sounds like they really want to use their business connections to get Port back on their feet financially and send the club in to a new strong era.

Here's hoping!

jambo

Chaplin is off to Richmond, dammit...

=[

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/149132/default.aspx

TROY Chaplin will become the second Adelaide-based player to join Richmond this week after Port Adelaide refused to match the Tigers' offer during Gillette AFL Free Agency period.

Richmond snared Chris Knights from Adelaide on Monday.

Chaplin, 27 in February, is the second restricted free agent to walk from the Power, after Danyle Pearce joined Fremantle on Tuesday.

midonnay

we got shafted :/

first round pick in a strong draft for a marginal player

the only saving grace is that he's a life long west coast fan so we won't get double reamed like Fremantle...

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I tend to lose most, if not all interest in footy until the NAB cup. I love the drafts and that but I can't re-watch games or watch season highlights without feeling slightly disinterested. All my interest goes into cricket. I'll get back into it once they start the build up for the return of footy.

That being said there's a lot to be excited for this year. So many changes to teams that who can really say which teams are going to stand out. Could be a really tight year.

fisheyes

So I totally just realised that football (albeit the NAB cup) begins this friday night. Jeez. Anyone got anything planned with regards to a new thread? I can whip something together tonight or tomorrow if not.

Also, does anyone know if its now supposed to go in the Community section with all the sports threads? I'm assuming yes, but don't want to send it there if we don't need to.

So I totally just realised that football (albeit the NAB cup) begins this friday night. Jeez. Anyone got anything planned with regards to a new thread? I can whip something together tonight or tomorrow if not.

Also, does anyone know if its now supposed to go in the Community section with all the sports threads? I'm assuming yes, but don't want to send it there if we don't need to.

Go ahead and create a new one.

All this drugs in sport talk is getting out of control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom