• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

advise on fitness plan

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Idk... anything is better than nothing. But if you're going to try to get the most bang for the least amount of time, I wouldn't focus on specific reps and rather just go to failure. Don't allow any rest between exercises, and try to get through as many sets as possible. In 5 mins that would probably be 2x, maybe 3x max.

Also, I'd substitute squats for whatever your biceps / shoulder thing is supposed to be. If squats get too easy do burpees.
I am thinking about putting together a fitness plan

it must fit in 5 minutes

10 to 20 sit-ups and leg rises at the same time

10 to 20 push-ups

10 to 20 for the biceps and then the shoulder in one go

10 to 20 lifting it for the back

Last edited:

Artoris

Gold Member
Idk... anything is better than nothing. But if you're going to try to get the most bang for the least amount of time, I wouldn't focus on specific reps and rather just go to failure. Don't allow any rest between exercises, and try to get through as many sets as possible. In 5 mins that would probably be 2x, maybe 3x max.

Also, I'd substitute squats for whatever your biceps / shoulder thing is supposed to be. If squats get too easy do burpees.
I was thinking about adding burpees later

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I want to get strong. I have 5 min. Any recommendations?
Wk Pain GIF by wksklep

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Well get a pull up bar.

That takes care of back and biceps

Pushups for chest and triceps

Squats for hams, quads and ass.

Some weird 60 second ab routine ending with planking for lower back

I dunno.

Artoris

Gold Member
It is difficult to go to the gym for more than a few years, but this might be achievable as a lifelong commitment

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
It is difficult to go to the gym for more than a few years, but this might be achievable as a lifelong commitment

I get you. Most responses come from your "I wanna get fit in 5 minutes and train every muscle group" which is.. well.. Anyways, you want something and be able to do it in such a way it's most likely to stay and continue to stay part of a routine you deem doable on a daily base. No?

Well get a pull up bar.

That takes care of back and biceps

Pushups for chest and triceps

Squats for hams, quads and ass.

Some weird 60 second ab routine ending with planking for lower back

It's a good base IMO.
Respect for at least attempting a daily workout.

Last edited:

thefool

Nothing will happen in 5 minutes.
If you want a minimal number of exercises for an all around muscle work best i can give you is progression of:
pull up/push up handstand/cycling. Back/arms/chest/shoulders/core/legs/cardio in three exercises.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I respect the desire to work out daily, but you should be aiming for 30 minutes at least.

Keep the push ups. Drop the sit ups (plank is a good starting abb workout). Add in squats and buy a pull up bar that you can hook up to the door frame. Make sure you fap for added arm strength (alternate arms every other day)

Also ensure you're eating a good diet, otherwise all that work will be pointless.

Quasicat

I bought a couple of 40lb dumbbells about a month ago and have used it 6 days a week for about 20 minutes (the length of whatever TV show I’m watching). I’m noticing some definition and strength where it wasn’t before. Considering I was doing nothing before, every little bit helps…even 5 minutes.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Nothing will happen in 5 minutes.
If you want a minimal number of exercises for an all around muscle work best i can give you is progression of:
pull up/push up handstand/cycling. Back/arms/chest/shoulders/core/legs/cardio in three exercises.

I respect the desire to work out daily, but you should be aiming for 30 minutes at least.

Keep the push ups. Drop the sit ups (plank is a good starting abb workout). Add in squats and buy a pull up bar that you can hook up to the door frame. Make sure you fap for added arm strength (alternate arms every other day)

Also ensure you're eating a good diet, otherwise all that work will be pointless.

See. I can give advice.

Quasicat

It took me 6 years to go from this

bWcpDXn.jpg

To this

McQjXzq.jpg
QY0nLPR.jpg
XJUJ3Rp.jpg

5 a 6 days a week 2 hours minimum

There's your reference

Not to boast but 5 min a day will take some time regarding results. So don't get demotivated when you only have 5 mins day.

And yes I'll delete my pics in the morning
I was pushing 340lbs in October and my work clothes were so tight on me. I’ve now broke the 290lbs mark (after a month plateau) and I’m hoping to keep going. What scares me is that I need to keep that momentum. It’s not like I can keep losing weight and then go back to my old habits once I hit my goal.

poodaddy

OP, please look up Starting Strength. Whatever you do, don't fuckin listen to this thread, and don't do what you want either, as this thread is proof undeniable that neither you nor gaf have any fuckin clue how to program for training results.

And squat goddammit. Fuckin Christ it never fails to amaze me how people wanna skip the most important part.

John Bilbo

This is a good attitude, or you could say even the right attitude. Any excercise you can do reliably enough as a habit is good.

Start with little and be sure to note to yourself afterwards that you stayed with your commitment.

The physical excercise will not happen without taking care of your mind first and setting your mind right.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
OP, please look up Starting Strength. Whatever you do, don't fuckin listen to this thread, and don't do what you want either, as this thread is proof undeniable that neither you nor gaf have any fuckin clue how to program for training results.

And squat goddammit. Fuckin Christ it never fails to amaze me how people wanna skip the most important part.

Uhhh maybe take a look at the last 2 pages of the fitness thread where I mention using the Starting Strength fundamentals.

And also consider OP doesn't want that. Hence the compromised advice.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
My only advice is to get that belt that goes over your stomach that engages your muscles with lights and then you'll be even more ripped. Also wear as much copper **** as possible.

John Bilbo

My only advice is to get that belt that goes over your stomach that engages your muscles with lights and then you'll be even more ripped. Also wear as much copper **** as possible.
someone vision GIF

The first advice is clearly a lie as it was not the only advice you gave. That is why I would be very cautious following the second advice.

JessieJim

Neo Member
The fitness plan will depend on what goal you want to achieve, so I need to lose weight, so I include cardio in my routine. But since I can't run and jump. I chose ping pong classes. But since I can't run and jump. I chose ping pong classes. I'm already so involved in the process that I ordered my own blades Yasaka Goiabao 5, I don't really like to use other people's things.

Cyberpunkd

I wouldn't focus on specific reps and rather just go to failure.
Going all out is proven inefficient and will make you hurt yourself. All the elite athletes always train at 80% easy effort, 15% moderate, 5% hard.

Also, ditch the 5 minute idea, just find more time.

Brazen

I was overweight for several years not long ago, however about 2 years ago I got the oculus 2 and discovered Beatsaber so it's now my workout.

People might laugh at that but I'm entirely convinced if not for that game I would be in all sorts of cardiac trouble as I'm currently having trouble with my heart. I can't be bothered to exercise for the sake of it but make it a video game and I don't mind the 15-30 minutes I put into it most days.

After two years of playing not ashamed to admit I'm jedi good, I have most songs (the ones that aren't stupid crazy anyway) at SS rank on expert+.

Anyhow, might be an idea for some.

Last edited:

John Bilbo

I was overweight for several years not long ago however 2 years ago I got the oculus 2 and discovered Beatsaber so it's now my workout.

People might laugh at that but I'm entirely convinced if not for that game I would be in all sorts of cardiac trouble as I'm currently having trouble with my heart. I can't be bothered to exercise for the sake of it but make it a video game and I don't mind the 15-30 minutes I put into it most days.

After two years of playing not ashamed to admit I'm jedi good, I have most songs (the ones that aren't stupid crazy anyway) at SS rank on expert+.

Anyhow, might be an idea for some.
You can get your blood pumping good with Beatsaber especially if you put some effort into making the gameplay into a kind of dance where you move/lift your feet and excentuate the movement of your arms to as large a movement as possible.

Just prepare to be soaked in sweat and keep yourself hydrated.

EekTheKat

Just some general things that I picked up trying to get healthy :

Fix sleep schedule. Everything pretty much starts with a good night's sleep.

[Edit]. Water. Drink lots of it. a surprising number of people don't drink enough of it daily.

Walks help a ton to maintain health.

Keep things simple. Often those complex combo movements on YouTube are not as effective as focusing on one movement at a time. that and you're less likely to hurt yourself trying something complex.

Rest days are important. gives your body proper time to recover.

I use an old fitbit to monitor heart rate, gives a better idea of where I am and when I need to rest.

Last edited:

Tams

As this is a gaming forum: get Ring Fit and do the exercises properly. You can go straight into exercises rather than play the story.

Seriously, on the hardest setting it's pretty tough.

If you have a car, put the tyres in some tyre bags and use them as weights.

I am thinking about putting together a fitness plan

it must fit in 5 minutes

10 to 20 sit-ups and leg rises at the same time

10 to 20 push-ups

10 to 20 for the biceps and then the shoulder in one go

10 to 20 lifting it for the back

I think you need to explain what you want to achieve with a fitness plan before anyone can say whether it is any good or not. Also, what is your starting point in terms of age and ability. I can tell you what I do to keep fit and strong but that might be totally inappropriate for you. However, I think the points below are valid for everyone.
  • As a general rule of thumb, diet is much more important than exercise.
  • If you are going to lift weights, focus on compound instead of isolation exercises.
  • Full body workouts are better than the classic 'bro split'.
  • Ignore people who say 'don't skip leg day' because there shouldn't be a separate leg day in the first place; you should be training legs every day.
  • Good form should always take precedent over heavy weights.
  • Most supplements do nothing so don't waste your money. Creatine does work but even that does very little for most people.
I hope that helps. I changed my life around in my late 20s and went from being a completely out of shape slob to a human suplex machine in about a year so it can be done if you are disciplined.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
I think if you want to commit to getting fit, you need to put in more effort than FIVE MINUTES PER DAY.

Also if you want advise on fitness don't ask a video game forum you mong.

Last edited:

John Bilbo

• Most supplements do nothing so don't waste your money. Creatine does work but even that does very little for most people.
What is your take on collagen supplements for middle aged people and up? I'm nearing fourty and have begun taking collagen with my recovery shakes.

Vestal

Gold Member
If you want to get fit it has to be a full on commitment of a good diet and solid exercise regimen.

Exercise without a diet tailored to your goals will result in more frustration than success.

Personal example..I'm 6'3 and went from 220 to 185 in 3 months.

Diet:
Cut out all soda and stick strictly to water for fluids, with Coffee and Green Tea.
Cut down on grains and focus on high protein meals (ex. Protein bars, Eggs, protein shakes, Tuna, Chicken, meat, Sweet potatoes, coliflower)
4-5 meals a day
I don't care about what time I eat. Don't count my crap like that. I do my Calorie/nutrient counting as an average over a week/2 week period.

Exercise:
3-4 2hr Tennis sessions a week..(Similar exercise such as Bike or running for 1hr with a 20min weight session could be comparable)

With the above I got down to 185, and since then for 2 years now I have kept between 180-190 going up and down as I increase muscle mass and shed some extra fat here and there. All the while my diet now is a lot less restrictive. Still playing 3-4 days a week for 2hrs a day but my diet is I can eat anything while maintaining or even making gains on my physique.
(edit: Eat anything within reason.. Not going to shove 5 donuts down my gullet in a sitting, but I have easily been able to incorporate junkyness to my diet here and there while not affecting my over all goals.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom