• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Advice for an ups pure wave in europe

GymWolf

So to cut short, i have a corsair psu rm850x that active pfc that in theory should be couple with a pure sinewave ups.

Where i live we are having a lot of blackouts everyday and i don't want to fuck up the pc for such a stupid reason so i need a psu ASAP.

The problem is that pure wave psu from a good brand like apc, cyberpower or eaton start at around 450-500 euros here in europe and i'm not gonna spend that price for a fucking psu:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Then you have purewave psu from lesser brands around 200 euros (but i don't really trust) and for around the same price you have simulated wave psu from good brands.

I heard that a simulated wave can work with my corsair psu and the worst it can happen is that the pc doesn't stay on when a blackout happen, do you have anything to add on the purewave-simulated wafe debacle or do you have a link for a decent purewave psu here in europe? Maybe i didn't searched that well because i'm not an expert.
Or maybe you have the same psu so you can tell me if a simulated wave from a good brand is good enough.

Thanks in advance.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Well, I'm no PSU expert by all means, but I can speak from experience from the ones that I had.

First time around I went with 2 Salicru Ones for my TV + consoles combo and with an Eaton 5E for my PC.

Salicru is a spanish brand that is definitely budget friendly. It did the job but batteries constantly died after 2 years max. You can switch them easily, but it's not the perfect solution.

Eaton 5E is good, it's still kicking great, but it has an extremely loud fan and a slow recharge time. Once power goes out and the PSU kicks in, damn, it's loud. Pay special attention to this, some time brands target PSU's for domestic use...but they are more targeted for server rooms.

The reason for the fan being so loud was exactly that, although it is targeted as a domestic PSU, it was done to be in a server room, and I didn't know that at the time of the purchase.

Imagine having a shortage at 3AM, and hearing a freaking airplane for the rest of the night. Yeah, not that great.

About half a year ago I decided to invest a bit more on the TV + consoles combo UPS. Ditched the Salicru ones and got a APC BX1600MI. Despite the early plastic smell that you can get from the PSU material on the first week (which goes away, don't worry) it's a pretty good PSU - auto-tests the battery in a 15 days interval, zero fan noise when lights go out or when it needs to recharge. It's the dream combo I was looking for.

When I have the money, I'll switch my Eaton for another one of these.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Well, I'm no PSU expert by all means, but I can speak from experience from the ones that I had.

First time around I went with 2 Salicru Ones for my TV + consoles combo and with an Eaton 5E for my PC.

Salicru is a spanish brand that is definitely budget friendly. It did the job but batteries constantly died after 2 years max. You can switch them easily, but it's not the perfect solution.

Eaton 5E is good, it's still kicking great, but it has an extremely loud fan and a slow recharge time. Once power goes out and the PSU kicks in, damn, it's loud. Pay special attention to this, some time brands target PSU's for domestic use...but they are more targeted for server rooms.

The reason for the fan being so loud was exactly that, although it is targeted as a domestic PSU, it was done to be in a server room, and I didn't know that at the time of the purchase.

Imagine having a shortage at 3AM, and hearing a freaking airplane for the rest of the night. Yeah, not that great.

About half a year ago I decided to invest a bit more on the TV + consoles combo UPS. Ditched the Salicru ones and got a APC BX1600MI. Despite the early plastic smell that you can get from the PSU material on the first week (which goes away, don't worry) it's a pretty good PSU - auto-tests the battery in a 15 days interval, zero fan noise when lights go out or when it needs to recharge. It's the dream combo I was looking for.

When I have the money, I'll switch my Eaton for another one of these.
That one was on of the few that i was looking for but it is not a pure wave...

It is more complicated than just being a good psu, it need to perfectly work with a psu that request a purewave and has active pfc and i have no idea how all of this work.

GymWolf

You should tho if you care about your electronics, at least thats what my friend told me. I dont have one so cant rly comment much further.
I can spend 1000 euros on a gpu, not half the price on something like that, call it a mental block or whatever you want, there is a limit to crazy spending and Black_Stride Black_Stride told me that the purewaves should not cost that much, it's the usual europe price fuckery and i don't want to pay for an overpriced product.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
GymWolf GymWolf came across this on reddit:

If these are indeed pure sinwave, they are below 300€.

You can try to get one on Prime days or Black friday, maybe?

Last edited:
Top Bottom