• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adult Swim cuts all ties with Justin Roiland, Rick and Morty to be recast.

Kimahri

Banned
Regarding the twitter conversation screen shots …I assume they were somehow verified? I mean, that would be way to easy to shop. I could do in my sleep.

This, vital information.

However, if they're real I can only imagine my response were these sent to my daughter. Holy hellfire

Fucking stupid. Even if allegations are true, let him keep his job, jesus. "You made some dumb mistakes, you no longer have a shot at life or anything, enjoy living on the streets scum". American system and cancellation is idiotic. Get your shit straight. There cant be Rick and Morty without Justin.

anthony2690

Banned
Wasn’t the accusations alleged domestic violence? Unless he came forward and admitted guilt (which would make this action warranted), it seems too soon for the courts to decide his innocence or guilt.
There has been a lot of messages shared online showing that he likes young girls.

Lasha

Fucking stupid. Even if allegations are true, let him keep his job, jesus. "You made some dumb mistakes, you no longer have a shot at life or anything, enjoy living on the streets scum". American system and cancellation is idiotic. Get your shit straight. There cant be Rick and Morty without Justin.

He also stepped down as the CEO of the video game studio that he founded and owns. Something more serious is going on. I bet he pleas out.

Marvel

could never
Oof he was acting weird to 16 year olds? GL nonce lol

As for the show, a recast would surely fail.

I enjoy Rick and Morty's humor, but I always thought that if the creators were even 10% as weird as the vile shit they say on that show, they should probably be thrown in jail lol.

He sounds exactly like Rick. 🤮

Exactly. We are so quick to declare his guilt as a society when we have a system in place to see if he truly is guilty. Could you imagine everything being taken from you before you’ve had your day in court?
Exactly. Their used to be a proud tradition of upholding innocent until proven guilty. It seems that once social media hit the scenes, witch hunts and people's base emotions of "hang em, burn em, etc...." took hold.

If someone is guilty then let the courts enact punishment fit for the crime, but if its just an accusation, nothing should come of it. No firing , nothing.
Sorry calling some 17 year old "jail bait" in a tweet does not equal a crime.

It wasn't so long ago public songs played on the radio were about liking a 16 year old. I can name a dozen songs/artists off the top of my head who sang about wanting a barely legal lass.
You going to go after Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr? "She was just seventeen, if you know what I mean, and the way she looked was way beyond compared - Beatles... circa 1963

If he actual did something to said person and it was found out that it actually happened then yeah throw the book.

I don't have a dog in this fight, I think this show is retarded!

That being said, I can't stand cancel culture and people who can't separate art from the artist.

If you push for people to be canned or smeared before a trial by their peers in the court of law then you are part of the problem. Fuck Cancel Culture and witch hunts!!!

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
those tweets are not a crime, creepy but not illegal
There's quite a large rabbit hole to go down with these new allegations coming out and they're bad.

There's a enough to show a very clear pattern of targeting high school age girls, including having a "girlfriend" also searching for targets for him, and then getting them drunk and trying to talk them into group sex. A number of them also spell out that they're victims of childhood rape and he ignores their boundaries and concerns and still tries to talk them into it.

It's really very similar to the John K situation. And like that situation the part that shocks me most is how much of an open secret it was, and the hundreds of people who saw this and said nothing.

Sorry calling some 17 year old "jail bait" in a tweet does not equal a crime.
What about getting several underage girls drunk and bringing them back to you hotel room to try to coax them into group sex?

I love Rick and Morty, Solar Opposites, Squanch Games. I'm gonna keep loving those things. But Justin Roiland can go fuck off now, sorry. Being talented doesn't mean you get to fuck kids with impunity.

Last edited:
This is not a Johnny Depp situation, dude

Read those fucking tweets

You got to be a moron if you think thats ok
Its a tweet. People say dumb shit all the time. We aren't mob rule/ court of public opinion. We have courts for a reason.
If said person has commited a crime, a police report will need to be filed.

I don't give two shits if this show gets taken off as I think its dumb, but I am 42, not the target audience.
That being said, I will defend it over people raising pitchforks to burn heretics.
Same shit was done for Kara Layne with limited run and Gina Carrano with Star wars... Its the principle of the innocent before proven guilty.
Tweets are not an investigation by detectives and the state.

What about getting several underage girls drunk and bringing them back to you hotel room to try to coax them into group sex?
A crime if reported or caught. Just saying it on twitter is just words. It could of happened or not.
That would be grounds to report to the police and investigated. Canceling someone over words used on a platform that people say all sorts of crazy shit is just wrong.
Have you seen twitter? that place is filled with scumbags. Same ones will report others for "racism , misogyny , etc..." or some shit will also post crazy shit against other people or be complete sexual deviants, depraved and degenerate.
Its all good as its just words. when used to go after others (ie bully campaign with followers, ie mob action) then there is an issue.

Also what type of morals are these young girls raised with that they are ok with sex with some strange dude just because he's semi-famous? Why do they think group sex is ok?
Most sane people, who know wrong from right, would leave and not participate, drunk or not. They have free will. Alcohol just removed the filter, and you have to have an inclining of wanting to do it or it wouldn't happen.

Not trying to deflect as if some scumbag dude did this , throw the book at them in court. Just saying some people go back in time to accuse peoeple for fame or "regret", using "i was drunk" as an exuse to be a victim.
No lady, you got drunk and had group sex with a bunch of people. Most people would say hell nah. Groupies have existed for a long time.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

A crime if reported or caught. Just saying it on twitter is just words. It could of happened or not.
These people have screenshots of the conversations. There are now like 6 or 7 of them and there's a very clear pattern on display.

Whether or not anyone wants to try to prove it in court is not the point. Whether or not he was successful isn't even the point. The point is he's out here at the very least trying to fuck kids, and there's little room for doubt.

Isn't that enough?

Lasha

That would be grounds to report to the police and investigated. Canceling someone over words used on a platform that people say all sorts of crazy shit is just wrong.
Have you seen twitter? that place is filled with scumbags. Same ones will report others for "racism , misogyny , etc..." or some shit will also post crazy shit against other people or be complete sexual deviants, depraved and degenerate.
Its all good as its just words. when used to go after others (ie bully campaign with followers, ie mob action) then there is an issue.

He's not cancelled. He had his contract terminated with adult swim and resigned from his own company after being brought up on felony charges. It's a pretty common practice especially in the US where employment is "at will". Your problem isn't "cancel culture" it's with the poor state of workers rights that gives little recourse for employees against the whims of employers.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm sure what Adult Swim are hoping for is that Roiland gets exonerated somehow and will end up inviting him back after a disastrous "gas leak year" season.

More likely I suspect he won't, or at least not enough to get the stink off of him, and the show will be quietly terminated at that point.

Hugare

Its a tweet. People say dumb shit all the time. We aren't mob rule/ court of public opinion. We have courts for a reason.
If said person has commited a crime, a police report will need to be filed.

I don't give two shits if this show gets taken off as I think its dumb, but I am 42, not the target audience.
That being said, I will defend it over people raising pitchforks to burn heretics.
Same shit was done for Kara Layne with limited run and Gina Carrano with Star wars... Its the principle of the innocent before proven guilty.
Tweets are not an investigation by detectives and the state.

"People say dumb shit all the time". Maybe you also talk like that to minors, but not me.

Comparing to Kara Lynne and Gina Carrano situation is idiotic. He isnt being "cancelled" for following conservative accounts or liking Harry Potter, FFS.

He is being cancelled by grooming minors

I'm not saying that he should be arrested because of those DMs, but its enough for me to know that this dude is sick in the head.

Reave

They don’t need the court of law to decide whether working with a shitty person is necessary and/or beneficial.

Thaedolus

Anyone else spend their morning texting minors “lmfao I’m so drunk right now” cause if not you’re not a friend of mine!!! 😤

Last edited:

Puscifer

Gold Member
Anyone else spend their morning texting minors “lmfao I’m so drunk right now” cause if not you’re not a friend of mine!!! 😤
No but I did think for a solid ten minutes what it's like to get your ass beaten by a dude that sounds like this...

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

Also what type of morals are these young girls raised with that they are ok with sex with some strange dude just because he's semi-famous? Why do they think group sex is ok?
Most sane people, who know wrong from right, would leave and not participate, drunk or not. They have free will. Alcohol just removed the filter, and you have to have an inclining of wanting to do it or it wouldn't happen.

Not trying to deflect as if some scumbag dude did this , throw the book at them in court. Just saying some people go back in time to accuse peoeple for fame or "regret", using "i was drunk" as an exuse to be a victim.
No lady, you got drunk and had group sex with a bunch of people. Most people would say hell nah. Groupies have existed for a long time.
This is such a shit take. Alcohol does not "remove your filter" it actively disrupts your ability to make decisions properly the more you drink. It has literally nothing to do with "having an inclination" to do something already.

If you have a couple of beers and have sex that's a normal Saturday night. If you have some stranger actively feeding you drinks or feeding you stronger drinks than normal in order to take advantage of you in your intoxicated state and get you to do things that you wouldn't normally do or if you are in such a state that you cannot physically resist this person then you are in fact a victim in that situation. It's not up for debate. To say otherwise is fucking gross.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Yikes.

Several of the girls mentioned being victims of childhood rape and sexual abuse. They also mostly Fuck all the way off with your victim blaming/slut shaming shit these are kids.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Wow. There went his career. Has it effected sales of the videogame? I bet the game will drop in price really quick.

With just Dan Harmon in charge of Rick and Morty, it is going to get weirder.

Krathoon

Didn't the guy behind Ren and Stimpy have a problem going after underage women?

It is kind of a thing with these cartoon guys.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
A 16 year old girl, it goes beyond the racist Asian speak.

Just just seems like normal stupid online behaviour. Obviously he has no excuse, but she needs a good talking to at the very least about who she contacts online.

If that's what got him in trouble... eh. It does suggest he might do worse and actually harass people (or worse), but that's for the legal system to handle.

While this is completely fair and should be always kept in mind, there is something that makes these tweets more likely to be true than not. And that is that Roiland hasn't denied them, unless I managed to miss it. I know for a fact that if I saw some fake DMs of mine going around I would vehemently deny them in a millisecond. I mean, why wouldn't you?

But sure, if he later denies them and they turn out to be fake, of course he should be left alone

Lasha

Just just seems like normal stupid online behaviour. Obviously he has no excuse, but she needs a good talking to at the very least about who she contacts online.

If that's what got him in trouble... eh. It does suggest he might do worse and actually harass people (or worse), but that's for the legal system to handle.

Did you follow any of the thread or look up the news on roiland? He has been charged with battery and false imprisonment. It's wild that all of the discussion going back and forth over these tweets when he has been accused of physically injuring a domestic partner. The tweets came after as other potential victims came out of the woodwork.

Stitch

Gold Member
he has been accused of physically injuring a domestic partner.
Oh I guess we don't need Lawyers and Judges anymore

Season 5 Episode 20 GIF by The Simpsons

Tams

Gold Member
Did you follow any of the thread or look up the news on roiland? He has been charged with battery and false imprisonment. It's wild that all of the discussion going back and forth over these tweets when he has been accused of physically injuring a domestic partner. The tweets came after as other potential victims came out of the woodwork.

I vaguely remember the thread, but don't remember it.

And that doesn't change that the tweets/messages aren't a crime as far as I know. They certainly shouldn't be. In this case a symptom of who he might well be? Probably. Too far as a joke? Probably, but, again, not against the law.

Just to be clear; he sounds like an utter, vile scumbag that deserves time in prison. But it's not for you, me, or very likely anyone else on here (and if a member of the jury, legal team, judge, etc. are here, they wouldn't comment) to judge if he actually is.

Last edited:

Lasha

And that doesn't change that the tweets/messages aren't a crime as far as I know. They certainly shouldn't be. In this case a symptom of who he might well be? Probably. Too far as a joke? Probably, but, again, not against the law.

Just to be clear; he sounds like an utter, vile scumbag that deserves time in prison. But it's not for you, me, or very likely anyone else on here (and if a member of the jury, legal team, judge, etc. are here, they wouldn't comment) to judge if he actually is.

Texting a minor like that is a crime depending on the jurisdiction and age of the girl. Its usually called messaging a minor with inappropriate/immoral intent. "I was just kidding" is a defense commonly employed by sexual predators. Constant sexual suggestions to underage girls also comes under grooming laws which carry felony charges at the federal and state levels.

We are all also free to comment. "Innocent until proven guilty" only applies to the justice system. We are all free to associate with or hold opinions about anybody. To suggest that people are doing something wrong by forming an opinion about two felony charges (one involving bodily injury, the other false imprisonment) in the context of a long trail of rumors and bizarre behavior is simply authoritarian. Roiland could avoided all of this attention by following the example of countless other celebrities and not forming friendships or having adult conversations with underage girls. Play stupid games you win stupid prizes.

Tams

Gold Member
Texting a minor like that is a crime depending on the jurisdiction and age of the girl. Its usually called messaging a minor with inappropriate/immoral intent. "I was just kidding" is a defense commonly employed by sexual predators. Constant sexual suggestions to underage girls also comes under grooming laws which carry felony charges at the federal and state levels.

We are all also free to comment. "Innocent until proven guilty" only applies to the justice system. We are all free to associate with or hold opinions about anybody. To suggest that people are doing something wrong by forming an opinion about two felony charges (one involving bodily injury, the other false imprisonment) in the context of a long trail of rumors and bizarre behavior is simply authoritarian. Roiland could avoided all of this attention by following the example of countless other celebrities and not forming friendships or having adult conversations with underage girls. Play stupid games you win stupid prizes.

I don't care too look into it myself, but the posted message there is nasty and rude, but it doesn't have any soliciting in it.

My point is, go after the people who are causing harm, or seem very likely to cause harm. If that's what a court find him guilty of, well that's their job. But if he's just an idiot shitposting... well arrest everyone on this forum.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

Why should it matter if it's a crime, when discussing a company cutting ties with him?

He's a public figure, his name shows up in big fonts in credits of things, he's the guy who goes and does interviews to promote the thing you are paying him millions of dollars to be a part of.

I seriously don't get all of this pearl clutching over famous idiots getting themselves canned. They chose a life of being a public figure and have been rewarded GREATLY for it with wealth and more.

Dude's lucky he lasted this long w/ shit like his podcast rants about how we used to fuck 13 year olds and nobody batted an eye... he had a good run, now he's PR poison so he loses his job.

(and this is likely WAY MORE about the 2 DV felonies anyways lol)

Tams

Gold Member
Why should it matter if it's a crime, when discussing a company cutting ties with him?

He's a public figure, his name shows up in big fonts in credits of things, he's the guy who goes and does interviews to promote the thing you are paying him millions of dollars to be a part of.

I seriously don't get all of this pearl clutching over famous idiots getting themselves canned. They chose a life of being a public figure and have been rewarded GREATLY for it with wealth and more.

Dude's lucky he lasted this long w/ shit like his podcast rants about how we used to fuck 13 year olds and nobody batted an eye... he had a good run, now he's PR poison so he loses his job.

(and this is likely WAY MORE about the 2 DV felonies anyways lol)

Because I think it sets a precedent for us mere plebs. That our shitposts could be legally used against us.

I don't give a shit about the guy.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Because I think it sets a precedent for us mere plebs. That our shitposts could be legally used against us.

I don't give a shit about the guy.
Legality has never been the standard for being fired. You can and will be fired over things that don't come close to breaking the law. Especially if you very publicly represent a company, brand, or artistic work.

It's been this way since forever.

I know a lot of people on this site don't like "wokeness" - which is vaguely silly in and of itself and hard to take anyone seriously that uses the term non-ironically - but those trying to defend a guy being fired over this stuff, let alone if he's actually found guilty in a court of law on those felony charges, is really, really silly.

I've been a huge fan of Rick and Morty for years, and in Roiland's stuff in general, but it's no secret the dude is abrasive in the best of terms, and this stuff coming to light would get you fired in any job in the world. Well, for us "normies" that is. Good move on these various companies for cutting ties quickly and not looking away simply because he's a fucked-up golden goose for many of their properties.

Top Bottom