• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Actors you want in Games - aka Sigourney Weaver should be in Metroid Prime 4

Putting real actors in video games is ...

• Total voters
I thought about how great it'd be if Sigourney Weaver met up with Samus Aran in Metroid Prime 4, her being a fellow bounty hunter and all. If James Cameron/Ridley Scott refuse to put Sigourney in Alien 5, have Metroid do it 🤷‍♀️

But let's talk about this more broadly, since it seems to be a trend, putting real actors in video games, with Keanu Reeves being the most recent addition. Who would you like to see in which game?

Terminator 2 Linda Hamilton would be better as Samus, IMO.

Maybe Jean Claude as Guile and Mila Yovovich in some Resident Evil movies would be cool... oh wait.

Belmonte

I usually prefer without actors. If they want to put famous actors, the best way to do is going full Death Stranding, where there are so many, it gets less distracting since there is less contrast between them and other NPCs. If there was only Norman Reedus, Death Stranding would be the "Norman Reedus game".

DESTROYA

I’m voting for dumb, at these point she’s old and decrepit why would I want her in a video game?
She was great in the Alien movies but at this point old news.

GreyHorace

I think Rockstar Games proved you don't need big time Hollywood actors to do voiceover or motion capture work in a videogame. Actors like Steven Ogg (Trevor Phillips, Grand Theft Auto 5) and Roger Clark (Arthur Morgan, Red Dead Redemption 2) can give great performances despite not being big names.

Ballthyrm

This is the same issue we had with animated movies. The minute "real actors" came in, the overall quality of the medium went down.

Marketing gets their big star to market and quality can be negociated. It pulls the focus out of the game and onto the actors themselves.

Voice over work is also very different endeavor than "normal" acting, not every game can have the luxury of full performance capture. I rather have really good voice over artist any day.

Lindsay Ellis made a great video about it.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
None, invest the money into the game itself, not into irrelevant stuff such as actor's likeness.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I think finding a way to get actors in video games makes it a more memorable experience, we don't remember most of the characters from games that aren't actors.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Samus needs to be the only person in Metroid Prime 4. Prime 3 was cool, and I even enjoyed the Other M crew, but enough. Let’s get back to isolation for the first installment in over a decade.

As far as real actors, I don’t really have an extreme position. I like original creations, and I also think that what Kojima did with Death Stranding was really interesting. That said, I do feel, having followed gaming for a long time, that part of its legacy and appeal is a wonderful tapestry of fun and unique characters.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
NONE! I want interesting original character design in my games. It feels developers are too lazy to design original characters so they rely on famous actors and its cheap and I know its weird to say since its very expensive to hire famous actors for your games but to me it feels very cheap.

Last edited:
I thought about how great it'd be if Sigourney Weaver met up with Samus Aran in Metroid Prime 4, her being a fellow bounty hunter and all. If James Cameron/Ridley Scott refuse to put Sigourney in Alien 5, have Metroid do it 🤷‍♀️
That sounds unnecessary and distracting. Just because Metroid games take some inspiration from Alien doesn't mean they should introduce the lead actress from the movies into the newest game.

But let's talk about this more broadly, since it seems to be a trend, putting real actors in video games, with Keanu Reeves being the most recent addition. Who would you like to see in which game?
It was better during the previous console generation with games like Saints Row when you had Keith David voice and lend some of his likeness to the character Julius, at a time when video games still looked like video games and you could use your imagination.

At the very least, I think they should be few and far between, and limited to a new IP or some licensed movie game. But leave established franchises like Metroid and whatever else alone. I don't want Hollywood faces dominating my video games.

Last edited:
Willem Dafoe for Ridley. Can I get a HELL YEAH?!
SXR3sR8.png

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Capcom isn't too bad. They get unknowns for their facial capture stuff, and I feel they tweak the character models a bit after that too.

Death Stranding didn't bug me, but it's not something I want in most games.

No thank you; there's enough Hollywood seeping into gaming as-is. Nintendo's one of the last companies I would think to push for such a blatant cinematic element in their games, i.e literally putting movie stars in them and making it a marketing bullet point. It's not their style at all.

Meesh

Might sound dumb, but I always wanted Schwarzenegger to play as Venom in the games and movies. Clearly that'll never happen.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I prefer the feeling of isolation when it comes to Metroid games, so I despise the idea of Samus meeting more bounty hunters, especially after how much they sucked in MP3.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I hate it. Seems like a way to get me to not buy your hollywood endorse videogame. The resources should go to making the game play and look the best it can not Kojima shit up.

How about none. It seriously hampers the ability of devs to create original and inspired characters. Not to mention its wasted resources that could be used elsewhere in development.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Yeah no. I don't think popular actors are good for videogames. They don't add anything of value except their big, fat names and they inflate productions costs with their big, fat paychecks.

Any random struggling actor, voice actor, martial artist, etc, can do a decent enough voice over and motion capture for any game. You don't need the big names except maybe when your game is based on a big movie so the likeness of the actors in it make more sense.

Birdo

Banned
Has there ever actually been a female bounty hunter? Or is it one of those empowerment fantasy things that the media do? (Like female medieval warriors).

TacosNSalsa

Has there ever actually been a female bounty hunter? Or is it one of those empowerment fantasy things that the media do? (Like female medieval warriors).
Yes, my friends wife is a bounty hunter. It's nothing like what you see in movies or TV show . She just tracks down people who fail to show up to court while out on bond and according to her she's been in a physical altercation 2 times in her 7 years of doing it . Most people are just scared or literally forget to go.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
I want a metal gear solid 7(VII), a sequel to mgsv, where Donald Sutherland plays Big Boss. You play as Venom(Kiefer)

Birdo

Banned
Yes, my friends wife is a bounty hunter. It's nothing like what you see in movies or TV show . She just tracks down people who fail to show up to court while out on bond and according to her she's been in a physical altercation 2 times in her 7 years of doing it . Most people are just scared or literally forget to go.

Aww, man. Next you'll be telling me that paleontologists don't fight nazis and get chased by boulders :messenger_frowning_

Top Bottom