• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Actor Julian Sands (Warlock, Room with a View) missing on California mountain since Friday

_128344251_gettyimages-1251028121.jpg

British actor Julian Sands has been reported missing after going hiking in mountains north of Los Angeles.
He disappeared last Friday in the Baldy Bowl area during bad weather in the San Gabriel Mountains.
Police said ground rescue teams abandoned their search at the weekend because of avalanche risks, but it was continuing by drone and helicopter.
Mr Sands, 65, is known for roles in popular films and TV dramas including A Room With A View, 24 and Smallville.

For weeks, California has been battered by deadly storms and a disaster declaration was issued by President Joe Biden.
The San Bernardino County Sheriff's department said that when conditions were safer for rescue crews, they would resume the search.
It said it had responded to 14 calls on Mount San Antonio, known locally as Mount Baldy, and in the surrounding area over the last four weeks. It warned hikers to "stay away" from that area.
"It is extremely dangerous and even experienced hikers are getting in trouble," the department said. They are also searching for another hiker, an American, who went missing in the same mountains.
Last week, a mother of four whom friends described as an experienced hiker died after sliding more than 500ft down Mount Baldy.
Mt San Antonio, known as Mt Baldy, in the San Gabriel Mountains

Image source, Getty Images
Image caption,
Mount San Antonio, commonly known as Mount Baldy, in the San Gabriel Mountains
Mr Sands was reported missing at about 19:30 local time on Friday 13 January.
The department's search and rescue crews responded and began a search, but this was hampered by severe weather warnings and trail conditions.
"However, we continue to search by helicopter and drones when the weather permits," the statement said.
Mr Sands has talked in the past about his love of hiking and mountain climbing.
When asked in a Guardian interview in 2020 what made him happy, he replied: "Close to a mountain summit on a glorious cold summit."
Born in Yorkshire, Mr Sands has appeared in dozens of films and TV shows, but it was a lead role in the 1985 British romance A Room With A View that brought him global fame.

Hope he is found safely!

Update:

RIP

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

..Hope he's ok but he's one of those actors that never really fulfilled their potential.

At the first sign of stardom he just cleared off to the US, and took any old dross he was offered.

I remember him as the eccentric villian Snakehead in 2003's action-comedy The Medallion. The hilariously bad CGI was the funniest thing about the movie of course. Hope he's alright out there as the California mountains are known to house brown bears and coyotes.

images

Valonquar

Boxing Helena too. Never forget the fantasy of getting Sherilyn Fenn to fall in love with you by cutting off her arms & legs!

Last edited:

Doom85

Hope he’s all right. Obviously I’m not blaming him for what happened, but if I was into hiking I would always make sure to have at least one other person with me. Even ignoring wildlife, weather, and such, I’ve watched enough videos from the likes of Mr. Nightmare and Chilling Scares where the hiking/jogging stories almost always begin with “I love this hiking/jogging route through the woods/hills/etc. because you rarely see other people on it.” Yeeeaaah, there’s a rather obvious potential drawback to that…

But yeah, hopefully against all odds he‘s found alive. Or at the very least if he passes, his body can be found to provide closure to his loved ones.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Hope he's okay despite the situation. I like him as an actor, I still remember how the Warlock movies gave me chills when I watched them as a kid (way below the recommended age).
No kidding, when he runs across the little kid who was never baptized....so he skins him and wears the flesh as shoes....fuuuuuucked up.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Since last Friday? I don't think the news will be good, but if he's a hiker by hobby, he likely knows some survival tricks.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
He was also a dedicated Pimp in "Leaving Las Vegas" 😃

I saw him a couple years back at the Montreal Comic con and his hair was awesome.
He sat with poise as all the others around him were whoring themselves with 10$ pictures ( Carl Weathers, Lita & Trish Stratus, Jimmy Hart).

It felt like desperate subtle prostitution.

-Zelda-

Banned
Everyone mostly posts on the internet about how they remember him from Warlock 1 and 2, but for me, I remember him most from Arachnophobia and Rose Red. His character in Rose Red was my favorite.

It sucks that this has happened, but shouldnt they just call it by now? 11 days in frozen mountain paths with no food or water?

JCK75

Man I loved the warlock movies at a teen.
sad news.

I always worry about my dad who is 76 as he tends to head off the forest a lot on his own and there is no cell signal up there.
few years back while hunting he was walking down a hill and his leg slipped on some wet leaves, bone in his calf was sticking out of the skin.
He crawled about 2 miles to camp and my brother luckily had just arrived to join him and drove him to the ER.

Warlock?

Was that that 80s horror movie where he played a warlock trying to summon the Devil? I think there's one scene where he chops off the finger of a gay guy and then bites out his tongue? And then the other scene I remember he's on a swing with a little kid and the little kid mentions that he hasn't been baptized and the warlock starts laughing and then off screen, I guess he uses the kids fat so he can fly?

Is that the Warlock movie people are talking about? Because if so, I haven't seen it since I was a little kid back in the '80s.

Last edited:
Well, it was that Warlock movie I was thinking about from the '80s.

That that is awful they found his remains but at least there's closure. Condolences to his family and friends.

Top Bottom