• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision says Call of Duty Vanguard underperformed partly due to WW2 setting

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

While the game has been one of the industry’s best-selling titles since its November 2021 release, its performance has been relatively weak for a new entry in the annual blockbuster franchise, falling short of past releases including its predecessor Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War.

Writing in its new annual report, Activision said Vanguard’s setting was poorly received by some players, and that a lack of innovation had also impacted sales.

“While Call of Duty remains one of the most successful entertainment franchises of all time, our 2021 premium release didn’t meet our expectations, we believe primarily due to our own execution.

“The game’s World War II setting didn’t resonate with some of our community and we didn’t deliver as much innovation in the premium game as we would have liked.”

Activision went on to say it has high hopes for the next entry in the series, Infinity Ward’s Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

“We are certainly addressing both of these issues with the 2022 launch. Development on the 2022 premium and Warzone experiences is being led by Activision’s renowned Infinity Ward studio.

“We are working on the most ambitious plan in Call of Duty history, with over 3,000 people now working on the franchise and a return to the Modern Warfare setting that delivered our most successful Call of Duty title ever.”

realcool

It underperformed due to a lack of diversity. Gamers want more progressive elements, more diversity, more equity and more inclusion.
giphy.gif

EDMIX

No, it bombed because people want to have a realistic WW2 game. Quirky characters that are totally out of place with what really happened is an immersion turn off.

I disagree.

I just don't see much evidence to suggest this as the best selling WW2 titles happen to not actually be simulations, in fact I'd argue some of the worst selling WW2 titles and FPS titles in general are sims...

So...I question where the fuck are those "people" when those sims are made, its not like we are talking about something that doesn't exist lol Those fucking Steam WW2 sims should be destroying this game in sales lol I can agree that someone might be turned off by those characters, I can agree that even myself don't really play those types of titles and like realistic games.....I don't see a metric to argue THAT ITSELF is why this title did poorly by their standards, it still moved massive numbers and sold circles around those sims for us to really pretend that is the real why here...

I think Activision might be right about the setting. I think its part of the reason, the biggest selling COD titles are the future ones, that install base gives a shit about a lot of that modern, future stuff.

SkylineRKR

I've played Vanguard a fair bit, and its a mess, but also a fun mess at times. The time to action is hilariously short because of the spawns. Its hard to get pissed off because you will score a few kills on next spawn anyway.

WW2 isn't the problem, but rather the uninteresting settings and out of place dressing of it.

I barely had the feeling playing a WW2 game, not even during the campaign. It could've taken place in the 70's as well. So I don't think WW2 itself is the issue here.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Medal_of_Honor_Frontline_cover.jpg
0wzcrs6gcia21.jpg

Also, Medal of Honor was always the King of WW2 when it came to single player campaigns.
and then they made this

Medal+of+honor+2010+www.pcgamesz4u.blogspot.com.jpg
medal_of_honor_warfighter.jpg

effectively turning the series into an unpolished, underwhelming and poor COD knock off.

I remember when they tried to market those games as realistic. lol

Majormaxxx

and then they made this

effectively turning the series into an unpolished, underwhelming and poor COD knock off.

Warfighter to me was especially bad. Campaign felt like a shooting gallery the way enemies would pop. And the inclusion of the operator's wives was laughable. Like a poor gamer's The Unit TV show rip off.

VN1X

Banned
It failed because people are tired of sweating in casual multiplayer matches. It failed because the hitreg and netcode is shoddy. It failed because the weapons, attachments, killstreaks, etc have nothing to do with WWII (might as well be an alternate timeline that regard lol). It failed because the map design is AWFUL. It failed because the visibility is piss poor.

And also this:

Last edited:
Well you can't make everyone happy.
Gamers after Modern Warfrage trilogy: We need futuristic military shooters.
Gamers after Blops3, Advanced warfare: The boots need to be on the ground, bring it on WW2.
Gamers after WW2 and Vanguard: We don't know what we want.

Jaybe

At least they are pointing the finger at themselves. More companies should have this accountability. Then you have EA blaming the Halo launch for BF2024, and 343 blaming pesky vacations for slow content.

Salz01

It really didn’t feel like a WW2 game. I was so hyped for Vanguard, but it’s my least favorite COD. Even Ghosts is better than this.

Catphish

I have no problem with WWII games, as long as they treat the subject matter with the respect it deserves.

Games that treat WWII like a theme park, turning a theater of pain, suffering, and sacrifice into some cheap ass gimmick where you can rewrite history and shoehorn silly, modern-day social sensibilities into... that I have a problem with.

NickFire

The issue isn’t WW2. It’s the absurd treatment of WW2 that makes it silly. That said, the MP is just as fun imo as the older games. The newer modes aren’t really my cup of tea, but classic MP has been something I play a couple times a week in spurts because same mindless fun I always enjoyed, and 120 fps option is awesome.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
WW2 is a fantastic setting for a war game. Activision also pushes these out every year. There’s not a whole lot of replay value to their single player and a lot of them are just forgotten with time.

It was just filled with set pieces. I wasn’t moved by it emotionally or anything. It was like creating super hero’s with military people. The villains weren’t menacing. The only big thing I enjoyed about Vanguard was the textures of the environment. Outside of that it was very forgettable. Even those walking sections felt half thought out and pointless at the end. The plot was basically WW2 meets the Rescue Rangers.

skneogaf

I still think a great story with amazing graphics, sound, level design and set pieces can sell.

Nobody wants to play as different people as you don't grow attachment.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Zombies was/is an insult.

The sheer stupidity of it almost rose to the level of deliberate self-sabotage. This is how you alienate your fanbase.

MiguelItUp

I personally think it had its moments, but I think folks that are REALLY into history-based FPS titles would prefer accuracy. But if you're creating some fictional "what if" scenario, then why not lean into it super hard? I mean, things that are so far from realism, like stuff you'd see in Wolfenstein where there's this insane level of technology. This one skirted the line somewhere in-between. Not in a great way either IMO.

I loved World at War, and didn't get to play WW2 too much, but it's clear that it being the WW2 setting isn't the issue here. I think it's all about the delivery.

and then they made this

Warfighter to me was especially bad. Campaign felt like a shooting gallery the way enemies would pop. And the inclusion of the operator's wives was laughable. Like a poor gamer's The Unit TV show rip off.
And creepy...
Not disagreeing with these takes, however in terms of the thread topic, CoD can't seem to get it right every time they go back to that era of war. Plus their fanbase simply doesn't want it. MoH fanbase would be pleased with a new WW2 game that played like a better version of the PS1 and PS2 games.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Vanguard is shit. And I love WWII setting games. I liked COD WWII too, but the key setback for me for that game is small number of maps. Maybe more free maps came later, but I bailed by then. War Mode was repetitive as hell with the same 3 maps (again, maybe they added more but I missed it).

Vanguard is trash though. Right from the start playing the beta it looked crappy, the enemy detection was off, and it had a weird vibe of WWII guns but didnt feel like a WWII game. COD WWII and World at War do.

Then played the final game and thought it was just as shit. Whatever day one patches they did made no difference to me.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Not disagreeing with these takes, however in terms of the thread topic, CoD can't seem to get it right every time they go back to that era of war. Plus their fanbase simply doesn't want it. MoH fanbase would be pleased with a new WW2 game that played like a better version of the PS1 and PS2 games.
I mean.. Medal of Honor used to be the originator of cinematic war shooters. First there was still some rivalry between CoD and MoH. Then CoD hit it big time with CoD 4 (every sequel is based on this game, no matter the setting). For MoH to go and copy CoD was kinda a punch in the stomach for fans.

ManaByte

A lot of people didn’t really play through the campaign and just watched OutrageTube videos about it.

The campaign is actually good (the Midway level is awesome) and it’s basically a WWII A-Team hunting down Nazi secrets after the war. I’d want a sequel picking up where this one left off.

The problem is the MP where they put laser sights on WWII era weapons.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
A lot of people didn’t really play through the campaign and just watched OutrageTube videos about it.

The campaign is actually good (the Midway level is awesome) and it’s basically a WWII A-Team hunting down Nazi secrets after the war. I’d want a sequel picking up where this one left off.

The problem is the MP where they put laser sights on WWII era weapons.
The thing is many gamers (like me) dont play COD SP, so no matter how good it is we'll never see it.

The weapon adjustments were weird. But Activision had to do it so that modern day gamers who love the modern warfare and futuristic black ops settings could get their fill. Activision doesn't seem confident a purely WWII game with old ass gear would be interesting enough for shooter fans.

Considering how bad Vanguard was received, it might be the last WWII game they make. They got 3 teams rotating games.... MW, Black Ops, and some other kind of game whether it's WWII, Infinite Warfare, Cold War etc... You can probably scratch off the WWII option.

But if the rumour is true and COD games dont come out every year, they can make do with a MW/BO combo.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
First of all the call of duty franchise has been wrestled into the ground with World War Two games since it's first release in 2004, there's been 19 games in the series since many of them world war 2.

Call of Duty since has been mashed together in one menu instead of a traditional game bootup for quick and easy game changing. Just wow.

The characters (Arthur Kingsley, Polina Petrova, Wade Jackson and Lucas Riggs) are all developed characters but lean heavily on being the female gender, or the rebellious Australian, or the African American British man I don't know if this was intentional but its typical woke narrative of today.

The mp has been torched by fans in the past for using jet packs, things like changing to future warfare, perks not showing up in new games and honestly Black Ops Cold War has the same score (8/10) in my book.

If cod vanguard knocks on your door you go out and play with it, I’ll take vanguard and it’s 16 maps, zombies etc. over any shooter out there.

Mic Drop GIF

Top Bottom