• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Blizzard Sued By California Over ‘Frat Boy’ Culture

GetemMa

Passing around nudes? This is childish incel behavior.

At least for me, nothing of value would be lost if Activision Blizzard went away. Overwatch is ok but I'm not terribly excited for Overwatch 2's launch in 5 years.

Everyone loves to shit on EA, and yes they suck too, buy for me Activision has always been the worse of the two companies and they fucking ruined Blizzard like everyone said they would. Now that the Shareholders have to be satisfied with consistent growth and Bobby Kotick needs an annual 100 million dollar paycheck, the realities of meeting those demands have led to serious drops in Blizzards output in both quantity and quality. I heard a few years ago that the Overwatch team was basically downsized to a skeleton crew so that the game had higher margins and imo the updates the game has received in the last 3 years have only given that rumor more credence.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

At least for me, nothing of value would be lost if Activision Blizzard went away. Overwatch is ok but I'm not terribly excited for Overwatch 2's launch in 5 years.

Everyone loves to shit on EA, and yes they suck too, buy for me Activision has always been the worse of the two companies and they fucking ruined Blizzard like everyone said they would. Now that the Shareholders have to be satisfied with consistent growth and Bobby Kotick needs an annual 100 million dollar paycheck, the realities of meeting those demands have led to serious drops in Blizzards output in both quantity and quality. I heard a few years ago that the Overwatch team was basically downsized to a skeleton crew so that the game had higher margins and imo the updates the game has received in the last 3 years have only given that rumor more credence.
That game is close to a decade old. Of course it’s on a skeleton crew

Lone Wolf

I’m not blaming the suicide victim here, but be smart and don’t date co-workers, and don’t send or let someone take nude pics of you.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
It'll backfire terribly when the publishers realise people don't give a shit what journalists say/review anymore, I suspect these lot not covering will have zero impact on sales.
That's good! I hope all these little sites go bankrupt. As if people buy COD because of them lol.

Era will also implode soon with the members fighting to get all Microsoft, Acti, Ubi, Naughty Dog and Insomniac banned. Just close the site.

Barakov

Gold Member
Oh don't worry it'll happen. Eventually they'll cancel everyone and have nothing to cover.
TODSHze.png

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I’m not blaming the suicide victim here, but be smart and don’t date co-workers, and don’t send or let someone take nude pics of you.
Social media world. Got to break out the cellphone and do selfies and snapchat. On one hand, privacy is a somehow a giant concern when it involves Facebook or Google snooping for nuggets of info so they can use your faceless bits and bytes click history to help sell boring ads, yet sending crotch shots to people is totally safe.

I think priorities should be reversed.

Last edited:

engstra

Meh, I bet most big male-dominated companies are like this. This is just California going after Republican-leaning CEO or it just wants to extract more money from successful businesses. It seems we are living at a time when people confuse accusations and verdicts. People want quick justice and don’t care about judicial process. There are jerks in every company or sphere of life but we keep judging whole package based on acts of few individuals. Of course when you have vast majority of male employees there’s gonna be male-dominated culture. Would be same if it was reversed.
I'm convinced that most companies have issues like this but doesn't make it ok in any type of way. Just because a workplace is male dominated doesn't mean a culture where sexism and harassment at the expensive of the opposite sex or others should be allowed or accepted by the people working there. You'd still expect everyone to be decent human beings

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Asmongold continues to be a real stand-up guy through this. It really is shameful how he was treated by some Blizzard employees, and yet here he is coming to their defense on an individual level

yeah, good point about social justice. We already have the ACTUAL justice department handling this. No need for social justice in this case. Just stay the fuck away and let this all play out.

I am still going to buy Diablo 2 but I am hoping the assholes in charge get replaced.

engstra

This is really fucked, I have no doubt that most workplaces have similar issues which should be addressed but this on a really extreme level.

I'm seeing a lot of people reacting to the fact that they were allowed to drink in the workplace. Is that not normal? Every place I've worked we've been allowed to do that. Hell at my current job we even have a beer festival in the office where we drink home-brewed stuff every participant has brought

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is really fucked, I have no doubt that most workplaces have similar issues which should be addressed but this on a really extreme level.

I'm seeing a lot of people reacting to the fact that they were allowed to drink in the workplace. Is that not normal? Every place I've worked we've been allowed to do that. Hell at my current job we even have a beer festival in the office where we drink home-brewed stuff every participant has brought
Depends on the business and location.

In Toronto, drinking at work is definitely a no-no every place I've seen. And I dont know anyone who has said they can drink booze at work. But there are exceptions. Companies heavily involved with media, promotions, advertising are "more fun" and can have a beer fridge at the office. I've even seen it. Although thats more geared to image and hosting clients at the office for a fun meeting. The typical employee isnt downing beers all day.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Activision/Blizzard top brass right now: "Hello, City of Austin? Yes, we are looking for office space for approx ten thousand employees. Yes, I'll hold."
Are you saying the state of Texas would allow a company to sexually harass it workers without taking them to court?

Or are you saying that Blizzard is that petty?

engstra

Depends on the business and location.

In Toronto, drinking at work is definitely a no-no every place I've seen. And I dont know anyone who has said they can drink booze at work. But there are exceptions. Companies heavily involved with media, promotions, advertising are "more fun" and can have a beer fridge at the office. I've even seen it. Although thats more geared to image and hosting clients at the office for a fun meeting. The typical employee isnt downing beers all day.
Is the report saying they were drinking on the job though? I got the impression that the "cubicle crawl" was more of an afterwork thing.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Is the report saying they were drinking on the job though? I got the impression that the "cubicle crawl" was more of an afterwork thing.
Sorry I dont know.

But drinking at a company outing is totally ok, especially after work. Drinking booze at an off site lunch party is debatable. Some people do it (like one beer), but some people dont do it in case they get wasted and dont want to smell like beer back at the office.

Last edited:

nush

Sorry I dont know.

But drinking at a company outing is totally ok, especially after work. Drinking booze at an off site lunch party is debatable. Some people do it (like one beer), but some people dont do it in case they get wasted and dont want to smell like beer back at the office.

In the UK it's not unusual to go out drinking with clients during lunchtime (Usually a Friday) get absolutely wasted then expense it as "Client entertainment". Done that a few times myself. Trade shows for example can be even worse.

This shit happened in Elder Scrolls Online PVP. People took it waaaaaay too seriously, it was wild. Giving nudes to a leader of a guild to help push them on the leaderboards to get Emperor. Death threats, nude leaks/shares, doxxing, popular player leaving twitch on while he masturbates to another ESO streamer(now she's got over a million followers on twitch while he self-exiled in shame). Some of the most fun I've had in multiplayer games/MMOs was on ESO PVP (Xbox version). So many stories, but god damn was it a shitfest. Entertaining drama that almost always went too far.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You fail to recognize your an outlier.

Consider what could have happened if that relationship did not work out. That's where the "Don't date coworkers" advice comes from, risk vs reward.

I highly doubt the majority of workplace romances turn out perfectly, but by the same token I find it hard to believe a majority are abusive!

The same as any other relationship some are going to turn out sweet, others sour.

Sorry but I don't buy into the idea that everyone has to be oppressed in order to stop specific cases of abuse. Its not the job of an employer or the state to dictate with whom you choose to be with. Its funny that I don't see the same restrictions being applied as to who can own/run a business, this is about employees not partners!

Because when all's said and done, contractually forbidding specifically sexual relationships is all about the company covering its ass. Its not there to protect anyone but them. So I don't see it as being anything remotely fucking noble!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I've known many people who hooked up at work. Some worked out and got married.

Some didnt, including one couple who met and married at work, and then one of them cheated with another coworker at the same place like a soap opera love triangle. A business cant fire people for relationships, so they all worked at the same fucking company for a bit until one of them left. But the other two people still worked at the same company for years and hated each other. The company had to separate their desks so they were pretty far away from each other.

Total fuckery.

It'll backfire terribly when the publishers realise people don't give a shit what journalists say/review anymore, I suspect these lot not covering will have zero impact on sales.
Most of them are likely grandstanding to try to get attention, I've never heard of any of these outlets before.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I mean, there is a big difference between having an adult relationship between two consenting sane people. I think in the case of nudes being sent around to drive someone to suicide; well that's an exercise of pretty awful conscience and judgement. A business with that red flag needs to be investigated.

But business gatherings with drinking, especially after work, and consenting adult relationships at a place of work? Fine. But context is everything. Are guys using the cube crawl to go around and look up womens' skirts? Okay, thats pretty fucked up and deserving of investigstion. But if its consensual adult drinking and everyone respects each others boundaries? I dont give a fuck if a company wants to operate that way.

I imagine too many days of drinking though and your game is going to start suffering. 😄

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I mean, there is a big difference between having an adult relationship between two consenting sane people. I think in the case of nudes being sent around to drive someone to suicide; well that's an exercise of pretty awful conscience and judgement. A business with that red flag needs to be investigated.

But business gatherings with drinking, especially after work, and consenting adult relationships at a place of work? Fine. But context is everything. Are guys using the cube crawl to go around and look up womens' skirts? Okay, thats pretty fucked up and deserving of investigstion. But if its consensual adult drinking and everyone respects each others boundaries? I dont give a fuck if a company wants to operate that way.

I imagine too many days of drinking though and your game is going to start suffering. 😄
Yup.

It seems a lot of people have never been to off site annual meetings. A lot of things happen on those trips.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yup.

It seems a lot of people have never been to off site annual meetings. A lot of things happen on those trips.
Back when I worked for SOE they'd hold their FanFest in Vegas every year and a large portion of the company would go to the event to run it. No one ever killed themselves.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Jeesus, wtf is going on at that place?
No wonder they suck so much lately when they have time for shit like that instead.

Genx3

So an AB Supervisor took advantage of his position of power by having a sexual relationship with a subordinate, took nude photos of her probably meant for his eyes alone and to top it off, then passes the photos around to other employees.

That's fucked up.

The woman trusted him enough to have an intimate relationship with him then he turned around and crossed every moral line he could in order to embarrass and shame her.

What a loser.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Wake me up when someone who "matters" like IGN or Gamespot does that. Those sites are no-names and desperate for attention.
Not to mention Kirk is a cunt who tried to blacklist people because they dared to get excited about Yakuza, is an openly shitty person, and pro-social slacktivist who does more crying on twitter than any real work. People need to stop following these cunts.

Top Bottom