• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Blizzard says Woke policies for hiring are unworkable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomish

satya nadela and sunder pichai are indians. I doubt they got job based on their color. I am not saying diversity is bad but hire based on their talent.
Tech is way ahead in terms of how diverse hirings have been because it's still a fairly new industry, I wouldn't point to it as an industry that is the norm. The rest of the industries don't really mimick the meritocracy based hiring tech has been doing much visibly, which is why things like the Rooney Rule came into existence in the first place. Even then, tech hasn't been perfect either.

Last edited:

Sentenza

I can't say I agree with the phrasing of this nature v. nurture argument like this at all, but I don't want to derail the thread and get too politic tbh. I know plenty of women who think more systematically than emphatically at my current work place for example, so the premise of that whole theory doesn't really hold up for me, anecdotally. I suggest you need to look deeper into the "nurture" side of things.
I'm not even sure what you are exactly refusing, and more in general I'm definitely NOT a strong believer on the value of anecdotal evidence.
If anything, the broad trends (backed by studies over the years) seem to reinforce the notion that nature is at very least as prominent as nurture in determining people's behavior, if not the biggest factor.

Thomish

I'm not even sure what you are exactly refusing, and more in general I'm definitely NOT a strong believer on the value of anecdotal evidence.
If anything, the broad trends (backed by studies over the years) seem to reinforce the notion that nature is at very least as prominent as nurture in determining people's behavior, if not the biggest factor.
I'm not arguing against nature v nurture. What I'm arguing is the line in between the two. Some topics you'd think are nature, essentially I would argue are in fact, nurture.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Now they'll be forced to apologize and hire a platoon of obese lesbian women of color on a wheelchair to make up for it.
And then apologize again. Without getting any forgiveness.

On the surface some of the high level core ideals seem even reasonable and easy to sell and paint any opposition as an enemy, a despicable one.

On top of that though, a good number of politicians and corporations HR depts surely know that a divide et impera policy with regards to people that report to you/that you lead is best as they cannot concretely oppose what you do and/or are afraid of stepping out of the identity of the group they belong. Sufficiently divided employees may not form unions or less formally unite against you to demand better pay, etc... similar scenarios in politics and accountability of politicians or reform of sectors such as finance or big pharma.

Last edited:

Fbh

"what was the best game we released last gen?"
"Sekiro got amazing reviews and lots of GOTY awards"
"What rainbow colored diverse group of people were behind that game?"

iDuAUKD.jpg

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
"what was the best game we released last gen"
"Sekiro got amazing reviews and lots of GOTY awards"
"What a rainbow colored diverse group of people were behind that game?"

iDuAUKD.jpg
Best was “professional games bloggers” angrily tweeting because Japanese gamers were not enraged about GoT racist representation of Japan and exploitation of its culture enough/at all :LOL:.

Clowns GIF by memecandy

Last edited:

fermcr

Talent before woke... in any business, sports, jobs, etc.

I've seen sports where the players are all black. Are we going to force them to hire a white or asian person simply because they aren't black?

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Funnily enough as far as I can remember most reactions from Japan were absolutely ECSTATIC about the fact that a western studio even tried at all.
It was super funny as they started a cavalcade of outrage on behalf of people (who liked the game) and then turned against the people who they were angry for with the usual internalised racism and other accusations similar to that.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Talent before woke... in any business, sports, jobs, etc.

I've seen sports where the players are all black. Are we going to force them to hire a white or asian person simply because they aren't black?
Should just said talent and nothing else. Woke should never be considered.

llien

Google has that a while ago.
Namely they've announced that they explicitly would NOT seek to achieve "more diversity" than available on the market.

As in, even though half of the world population is female, if only 20% (a figure I've just made up) of software ngineers on the market are female, Google would not try to target getting beyond 20% of its software engineers being women.

This is why it is likely 🇨🇳 will overtake 🇺🇸 as leading economy and superpower in the world in not too distant future. They don’t hamper themselves with stupid woke shit like this, they just march on in most efficient way.

Let’s say I really like basketball (I do). Should it bother me seeing so little diversity in there? Few whites are mostly European and relegated to supporting roles, Asians don’t even mention. Meritocracy, right? So why would you put ball and chain around legs of these companies when it is in there interest to hire most skilled people regardless of race, ethnicity etc?

From what I understand, it's a request from shareholders to just interview a more diverse range of people, not to hire a more diverse range of people. I don't have a problem with that, it does not mean people will be hired based on their background but it means more people from various backgrounds will get a chance to sell themself, that individual still has to prove that they can do the job after all.

Last edited:
To help tackle any actual problems, you’d need to have interviews set up based on CVs with possible indicators stripped (even names) so that it’s strictly facts, then have a team conducting the interview to minimise on biases. But you’d probably be sacrificing something else in the process.
We've tried that in France, as well as a few other countries.
According to the wikipedia article, it had the opposite effect, though, for some reason. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Race, gender, sexual pereferences and etc does not matter ! Hiring must solely based on talent ! Who cares you are male, female or trans ? The only thing that should be considered, is talent.
Otherwise it is not just to hire some one who has zero talent and only because that person is minority.

Hire based on skills then maybe?
of course the “diverse” person has skills. Unless you’re implying white people always get hired over a colored person because a of higher level of skill. Youre picking from a pool of educated people in the position youre trying to fit. Not random colored people off the street.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Hell has frozen over when i have to applaud fucking bobby kotick
Well, his greed is good for once. When sjw policy gives less money then he's fucking abandoning faster than naming all the mental illnesses called lgbt genders.

MiguelItUp

Twittermob won't like this, sure. But I think that's just proof they're trolls, or they've never had a real job.

No one should EVER be hired based on their beliefs, sex, etc. It should ALL be experience based. Well, and if that person has the personality they're looking for.

wvnative

Is it? Sekiro, THPS, Crash Trilogy and Spyro remaster, Crash 4 and best CoD ever - MW (2019). They’re one of my faves atm.
Haven't played Sekiro

Crash and Spyro i dislike, crash games feel awful to play compared to the originals. wasn't expecting 1:1 physics, but everything was made worse.

Spyro was better yet was rushed, Spyro 3 was rushed due to them only having a year to remake all 3 games, it is noticeably unfinished and no effort to patch it was made. also hated the new style of voice acting

We could get a MW2019 every year if they'd treat their devs with more respect. Cold War was trash

Crash 4 was good i give you that...

....I just have so many personal issues with Activision too many to list here, i will never hate another publisher as much as them.

The company is an equal opportunity employer; there's no need for it to adopt performative interviewing practices for the sake of appearance. If time's were different, the company might not even care about putting the question to shareholders, but the notion of woke capitalism has become en vogue, as of late, including among some of the company's largest shareholders.

of course the “diverse” person has skills. Unless you’re implying white people always get hired over a colored person because a of higher level of skill. Youre picking from a pool of educated people in the position youre trying to fit. Not random colored people off the street.
Wtf??

Woopah

The policy in question doesn't stop people being hired based on talent (the company already has it in place for senior leadership)

At same time the company has other policies in place to support inclusion and diversity.

Being inclusive, diverse and hiring people based on talent are not mutually exclusive. Lots of people seem to mistakenly think they are.

SCB3

I’ve worked in software development for 25+ years and I haven’t ever had a black person apply for a position. Plenty of Indians and Asians though.

And to make it more related to a more niche background

I did a Video Game Dev based Software development degree. Out of the 18-20 students on my course, only 2 were Women, all were white, 2 were German, rest English. I'm all for the best person for the job, but there just isn't many Black or female programmers, I've met maybe 4 in my life, 1 of which I will admit was amazing, but there are just not there

Tygeezy

The point of this particular "woke" policy was that people weren't being hired just on their skills and were being discriminated. If AB are doing it on meritocracy, that's what we should be aiming for to begin with.

People want to act like there wasn't discrimination in work place hiring, this is why things like the Rooney Rule came to fore to begin with.
The Rooney rule sucks. What ends up happening is a token person is brought in right away before they can begin their actual search. The Browns didn't need to the Rooney rule to discover their black gm Andrew Berry. He had previously worked in their front office before and was suggested as a package deal with head coach Kevin Stefanski with their gm and Head coach search because of both of them embracing analytics.

Kerotan

TwitterMob won't like this one bit. This is shit people have been saying for the last 10 years. Problem is these companies don't have the balls to stand up for the very obvious.
They will when their company falls behind other companies who didn't go woke and actually hired the best people for the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom