• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Blizzard says Woke policies for hiring are unworkable

Status
Not open for further replies.

royox

From Game Industry: Activision Blizzard says interviewing diverse candidates for every opening "unworkable"

Activision Blizzard is looking to avoid a shareholder proposal that it interview at least one diverse candidate when it hires for a position, according to a Vice report.

The proposal was based on the NFL's Rooney Rule, adopted in 2003 to require all of the football league's teams to interview at least one diverse candidate for every head coaching vacancy. It was later expanded to include vacancies for general managers and similar front office positions.

"implementing a policy that would extend such an approach to all hiring decisions amounts to an unworkable encroachment on the Company's ability to run its business and compete for talent in a highly competitive, fast-moving market."

So what everybody with a working brain already knew. Hiring and interviewing based on diversity, color, sex, being LGBQWERTY instead of pure CV content, past carreer, expertise and own professional archievements is impossible to apply on the real world where stuff as competition or deadlines exists.
My theory is that if you hire based ONLY on CV and the profile you can get after an interview you will automatically hire this "diverse cast". If you hire because a SJW agenda you are not hiring people, you are hiring TOKENS.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I always find it curious how the big shareholders agree for large scale diversity hires when they could be making more money if the company hired people based purely on talent and productivity.
Exactly what I was going to comment. You couldnt make this stuff up. To hazard a guess i'd put it down to the idea that it's a 'hip' trend ripe for making money..

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
No shit. Anyone who honestly believes diversity hiring is a good idea is someone who has more than a few screws loose. Hire based on their resume, CV, and actions. Not based on what they think they are, what’s between their legs, or who they want to bone.

ZywyPL

Banned
I always find it curious how the big shareholders agree for large scale diversity hires when they could be making more money if the company hired people based purely on talent and productivity.

Except that's not how the stock market works, hence the shareholders not only agree for it but actually desire/demand the companies to go along with it. That's why CEO's have such a hard task to combine both the financial and stock results.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
look at the Replies they already not liking it lol
“I knew there was a reason I didn’t like their games”

Oh, okay.

To help tackle any actual problems, you’d need to have interviews set up based on CVs with possible indicators stripped (even names) so that it’s strictly facts, then have a team conducting the interview to minimise on biases. But you’d probably be sacrificing something else in the process.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
star-trek-shocked.jpg

Last edited:

Thomish

The point of this particular "woke" policy was that people weren't being hired just on their skills and were being discriminated. If AB are doing it on meritocracy, that's what we should be aiming for to begin with.

People want to act like there wasn't discrimination in work place hiring, this is why things like the Rooney Rule came to fore to begin with.

Last edited:

Sentenza

The point of this parricular "woke" policy was that people weren't being hired just on their skills and were being discriminated.
Well, it's more correct to say that this was the general assumption.
Too bad it turned out to be mostly false when put to the test.

People who aren't already familiar with it should give this old documentary a watch:

Hjernevask (Brainwash) is a Norwegian popular science documentary series that aired on Norwegian television in 2010. The series was produced by Harald Eia and Ole Martin Ihle, and was completed in seven episodes consisting of interviews with Norwegian and foreign researchers who have different views on the nature versus nurture debate.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
wait so hiring a disabled gay trans Indian does not automatically mean they are better then all white males?

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Hiring and interviewing are 2 different things. You can interview an additional person and then not hire them. I really don't see the issue.

The issue is that if they have a position open and have 10 white people apply for an interview, even if they definitely want one of those people for the position, under this retarded rule they have to either wait for or find a minority to apply just so that they can turn them down. In which time, the person they actually wanted for the position might have been scooped up by somebody else.

cormack12

Gold Member
Not much info to go on there. But I thought all applications were anonymised to a skillset, and then the personal details were revealed after the skillset was met and they ere moved to interview status? Ironically to prevent prejudice. Only those qualified get interviews. This means you would need to know the applicants demographs before advancing to interview which is open to corruption (e.g. a relative puts specific criteria as flags to look out for like 'White Irish' + 'Sikh').

Also as someone who does interview infrequently fuck this move. It's already time consuming enough to interview and prep packs, score them and provide feedback than adding an extra person in just because.

Last edited:

KingT731

It seems like a lot of companies took things the exact wrong way. The point was to stop /not/ hiring people based on those things (Gender/Sexuality/Race) instead of their talent/skills. It's less to do with "woke" shit than most of you might think.

Thomish

People who aren't already familiar with it should give this old documentary a watch:

I can't say I agree with the phrasing of this nature v. nurture argument like this at all, but I don't want to derail the thread and get too politic tbh. I know plenty of women who think more systematically than emphatically at my current work place for example, so the premise of that whole theory doesn't really hold up for me, anecdotally. I suggest you need to look deeper into the "nurture" side of things.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
It seems like a lot of companies took things the exact wrong way. The point was to stop /not/ hiring people based on those things (Gender/Sexuality/Race) instead of their talent/skills. It's less to do with "woke" shit than most of you might think.

It seems this is a shareholder decision that damages the talent pool potential. Take a look at the last year alone, the amount of talent that has moved from established studios to other studios. Blizzard are saying that if the shareholders impose the Rooney Rule to that level, they will miss out on the opportunities to hire/incentivise those people joining the workforce because of red tape. Red tape that isn't applicable to their competitors.

KingT731

It seems this is a shareholder decision that damages the talent pool potential. Take a look at the last year alone, the amount of talent that has moved from established studios to other studios. Blizzard are saying that if the shareholders impose the Rooney Rule to that level, they will miss out on the opportunities to hire/incentivise those people joining the workforce because of red tape. Red tape that isn't applicable to their competitors.
Then you also clearly missed the point. People aren't saying oh you need to interview X amount of Black people for example. They're saying when said black person applies that those things aren't he deciding factor for not being hired. You have to look beyond some things...good example is Google until very recently wouldn't hire people who graduated from HBCUs.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Then you also clearly missed the point.

Explain how it is different. The article has the quotes. Let's take the summaries:

Activision Blizzard is looking to avoid a shareholder proposal that it interview at least one diverse candidate

the Company has implemented a Rooney Rule policy as envisioned [for director and CEO nominees]

...a policy that would extend such an approach to all hiring decisions amounts to an unworkable encroachment on the Company's ability to [..] compete for talent in a highly competitive, fast-moving market."

Typically CEO and Directors are not dynamic positions like devs etc. There is a range of management initiatives like succession planning and coupled with the long lead times for leaving current positions there is usually a lot more time. Time is of the essence on contracted positions (fixed or part) or talent in a competitive market.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Hiring and interviewing are 2 different things. You can interview an additional person and then not hire them. I really don't see the issue.

The issue is under such a rule any vacancy would have to remain open until the interview diversity quota for that position had been met.

So basically they'd potentially lose high quality candidates due to delaying the hiring process until they'd checked off the box.

cormack12

Gold Member
Then you also clearly missed the point. People aren't saying oh you need to interview X amount of Black people for example. They're saying when said black person applies that those things aren't he deciding factor for not being hired. You have to look beyond some things...good example is Google until very recently wouldn't hire people who graduated from HBCUs.

That's exactly what it says. I don't know why you specifically picked out black people?

a shareholder proposal that it interview at least one diverse candidate when it hires for a position

Nezzeroth

The issue is under such a rule any vacancy would have to remain open until the interview diversity quota for that position had been met.

So basically they'd potentially lose high quality candidates due to delaying the hiring process until they'd checked off the box.
The issue is that if they have a position open and have 10 white people apply for an interview, even if they definitely want one of those people for the position, under this retarded rule they have to either wait for or find a minority to apply just so that they can turn them down. In which time, the person they actually wanted for the position might have been scooped up by somebody else.

That's how it works? Then yes, that's stupid as fuck.

KingT731

Explain how it is different. The article has the quotes. Let's take the summaries:

Typically CEO and Directors are not dynamic positions like devs etc. There is a range of management initiatives like succession planning and coupled with the long lead times for leaving current positions there is usually a lot more time. Time is of the essence on contracted positions (fixed or part) or talent in a competitive market.
1. Check the Edit

2. Those quotes are exactly why I said they were going about it the wrong way.

Stuart360

Its always made me scratch my head when you get this diversity quota in companies that are in countries that are like 80-90% white. Of course there will be more white people working at said company.
Just hire the best people for the job, and fuck the checklist ridiculousness.

cormack12

Gold Member
I’ve worked in software development for 25+ years and I haven’t ever had a black person apply for a position. Plenty of Indians and Asians though.

We've had a few but they generally only contract, not interested in permanent positions. We get more indians applying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom