• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Blizzard says it’s facing difficulties attracting and retaining talent (VCG)

Still too early to say, the deal hasn't even went through yet.

Not only that, but if there's a big exodus of key talent before the deal is complete, that can have a negative impact on Microsoft's end when it comes to moving projects forward post-acquisition. Even if they completely clean up the problems, at least some of those employees will be locked to contracts with new employers, committed to new projects that could be started in the interim.

I'm curious if that $69 billion includes any portion specifically to entice retainment of key talent like Sony's $3.6 billion for Bungie does ($1.2 billion of that is mainly for retaining employees and talent).

Sega Orphan

Banned
Everyone is having issues attracting and keeping talent in this industry. There is a shortfall in the amount of talent out there. Wages should be going through the roof.
Why do you think Sony paid hundreds of millions to buy support studios that don't have any IP or ability to make new games? And no, they don't have the ability as game devs require writers, game and level designers etc, while support studios don't have those capabilities as they just code what they are told to. There's a big difference.

Louay

like expected it would probably take 4 years or whole gen to shift between studios and make games that are not COD.

Blizzard need shake up.

as for ACTI Studios probably you will see Toys For Bob game this gen. probably Spyro 4

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Damn. Too bad. Maybe half of Bobby's income could have gone to employee incentivization instead of.... whatever the fuck Bobby does.

Zeroing

Banned
Damn. Too bad. Maybe half of Bobby's income could have gone to employee incentivization instead of.... whatever the fuck Bobby does.
Capitalism! Rich people love getting richer… look at Tim Cook from Apple receives a fortune each month for just being CEO… Why? Meanwhile they resort to cheap labor in china to make overpriced products…

Ok I’ve calmed down!!

kingfey

Banned
Not only that, but if there's a big exodus of key talent before the deal is complete, that can have a negative impact on Microsoft's end when it comes to moving projects forward post-acquisition. Even if they completely clean up the problems, at least some of those employees will be locked to contracts with new employers, committed to new projects that could be started in the interim.

I'm curious if that $69 billion includes any portion specifically to entice retainment of key talent like Sony's $3.6 billion for Bungie does ($1.2 billion of that is mainly for retaining employees and talent).
MS will attract alot of talents. Once they own activision, those talents will come to them, considering how MS treats their devs. 343 is example of that. MS gave them extra year, instead of overworking them.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Talented people want to work in a company that rewards talent not pandering to certain groups. Everyone being fairly treated and you don't get that with modern woke hiring.

Why is it pandering, if you simply care about certain groups that have been treated unfairly?

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
That's what happens when you bully your employees into suicide. There's a lot of us, but humans are by no means an endless resource. Especially the majority of the developed world with internet access seeing these horror stories, and the fact that give or take a percentile or so, roughly half of those internet browsers are women, I dunno, Actidudes and Blizzbros.

Leyasu

Banned
LOL It is hard to believe that.... but ok. The guy is still in charge right?
In another thread trying to pin actis problems on to their would be purchasers I see.

And as I said to you in that thread soon the activision name and it’s higher ups will all be gone.

Has their been an exodus of talent from any of their (Microsoft’s) new studios that we have missed?

SSfox

davonne-rogers-pretends-to-be-shocked.gif

Zeroing

Banned
In another thread trying to pin actis problems on to their would be purchasers I see.

And as I said to you in that thread soon the activision name and it’s higher ups will all be gone.

Has their been an exodus of talent from any of their (Microsoft’s) new studios that we have missed?
Relax, guy with avatar of Putin! You’re so defensive! I was just asking if Bobby was still in charge!

Why Are You So Obsessed With Me Mean Girls GIF

yurinka

Posting 3/4/5 year old articles lol

I am surprised that you didn’t type out a bullet pointed wall of text talking about Sonys revenue too.
Well I guess you can go back even more years and find incidents. The story I posted was a study from 2020.
The study you liked was with employee data from Dec 2019 to Dec 2020. The articles I posted are from 2019, 2018 and 2017 (they are from a simple google search and got the first ones, probably there are newer articles).

One mentions dozens of cases, orther is a lawsuit with over 200 cases, and yes at least one of the articles mentions more past cases from previous years. Who knows if they may even still have these cases in the court or if there are more recent articles about these cases.

But yes, Phil Spencer's speech at DICE awards talking about diversity and inclusion was very good and maybe they magically solved everything in a couple of years. Sure.

Last edited:

Jennings

I can't wait to see all this quality trickle down to their buggy-ass games. Hearthstone has been a wretched broken disaster on mobile devices for far too long.

And there was me thinking that having a piss poor reputation and treating your staff like shit was the way forward… Colour me surprised!

Top Bottom