• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision and EA are reportedly ‘in discussions’ to buy Mortal Kombat and Rocksteady’s parent

Bullet Club

Activision and EA are reportedly ‘in discussions’ to buy Mortal Kombat and Rocksteady’s parent

Warner games division said to be up for sale

Warner Bros. Interactive, owner of Rocksteady (Batman Arkham) and NetherRealm (Mortal Kombat) is reportedly up for sale.

According to CNBC sources, Warner’s parent company AT&T is currently discussing a potential sale that could fetch around $4 billion, if completed.

AT&T acquired Time Warner for $109 billion in 2018, and has around $165 billion in debt. Investors recently called for Warner to sell off many of its non-core assets, it’s claimed.

Take-Two, Electronic Arts and Activision Blizzard have all expressed interest in buying the gaming division, according to CNBC, but no deal is assured or imminent, it’s claimed.

If a sale goes through, many of the Warner Bros. IP tied to in-development games, such as Harry Potter and Batman, would not be part of the deal but could be licensed, the publication’s sources said

Spokespeople at AT&T and Take-Two declined to comment to CNBC.

Warner Bros.’ games division reportedly had big announcements scheduled for this month’s E3 2020 prior to the show’s cancellation.

According to Kotaku, Warner had been lining up a trio of high-profile reveals for the event, where it was due to host an E3 press conference for the first time.

These included a new Batman title, an open-world Harry potter game, and the next project from Arkham developer Rocksteady Studios.

Warner Bros. Interactive also owns TT Games (Lego), Monolith (Middle-Earth: Shadow or War) and internal studios based in Montreal, Boston, New York and San Francisco.

Source: VGC

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Jesus Christ I hope NetherRealm doesn't gets snagged by Activision or EA. I don't understand why they would sell them, don't their games sell extremely well?

Last edited:

wipeout364

What about monolith and travelers tales?. Both solid studios as well. The big problem with warner Studios is they are so tied to their IP.

I have said this before but one of the companies should buy DC comics as well. I actually think this purchase would really suit microsoft. They have a load of cash, need intellectual property and solid studios. I have heard AT&T wants warner to sell DC Comics as well.

Activision would be the absolute worst they just abuse their IP and have no interest in doing anything experimental or new.

Last edited:
Top Bottom