• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Acquiring double jump in games might be the most satisfying common gaming moment

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
When you acquire double jump, it's just the best. It's like this weight has been lifted off your shoulders, operating at 50% capacity the entire game and now the world is freely yours to explore, and not only that, but easier to explore. Often negating tiresome platforming that you can just handle in an easy double jump now.

Yeah it's cool to get a really powerful weapon/skill, find a cool secret, but to me finally getting double jump in games is just so damn satisfying.

If anyone else wants to give some love for the skill double jump, this is your thread.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
despite the games many flaws, Cyberpunk nailed the double jump accomplishment with the exoskeleton legs that propelled you into the sky allowing you to move across Night City in a way never allowed before hand, also added so much more to combat I was so damn happy when I got them and just started parkouring around the place.

Soodanim

Gold Member
It’s a beautiful moment. It might not be the end game of exploration in all games, but it’s the most significant in terms of reaching places you could see but not quite reach until that point. It’s the upgrade you anticipate for that same reason, and it’s a key moment of freedom of choice if you decide to go back to all those places.

harmny

Banned
despite the games many flaws, Cyberpunk nailed the double jump accomplishment with the exoskeleton legs that propelled you into the sky allowing you to move across Night City in a way never allowed before hand, also added so much more to combat I was so damn happy when I got them and just started parkouring around the place.

Game changing. It goes from a flat Bethesda like game to it's own thing

jaysius

Banned
3 jumps might get the best of the OP
2 jumps and a float OR a move that fires/projects your character, 3 jumps is usually indicative of shitty game design(there are a few exceptions) developers running out of good progress gimmicks and resorting to lazy design.

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Imagine acquiring double jump in real life.
Michael Jordan came close

tumblr_naeszo1JiC1rq1dtdo1_250.gif

(It literally looks like he took a step on air)

Bridges

Not quite Double Jump, but Control comes to mind for me. Getting the ability to fly completely changed the game for me, I spent as little time on the ground as possible after that point, so damn fun.

I agree! It's so frustrating seeing platforms that you can't reach. But when you eventually aquire the double jump, it's soooo satisfying. I love it, and I always miss the double jump in plstformers when you don't have it (yet).

Trilobit

Talking about jumps, I just loved when I acquired the Feral Pounce in Sly 2. All of a sudden I could traverse distances much faster in a very cool animal like manner.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Double jump in cyberpunk is a game changer when you get it for sure. I never even knew it existed until my third play through lol.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Metroid Prime manages to do that “fuck gravity!” moment twice, first with the Space Jump and then with the Gravity Suit. It’s such a physical game, you don’t realize that until the shackles of the standard suit are off.

Getting double jump in Doom 2016 was also an epiphany. I really didn’t expect that.

Flabagast

Double jump in Cyberpunk is a thing of beauty. It transforms the map from a nice backdrop to a nearly fully explorable vertical space & really opens up the gameplay.

drotahorror

It's great to get it when the past hour or more you've noticed so many spots that could use it.

It's also much more satisfying and relieving when they just give it to you from the get-go. Doom Eternal said hi.

Jeeves

Any game that includes a double jump is more likely to get my attention. It shows me that the game itself is just having fun with the fact that it is a video game, and that's great.

One of my favorite things about Nier (360) is that you have double jump from the start with no explanation whatsoever. You're playing a video game, just have this double jump and don't ask questions.

I like how there is no triple jump or quadruple jump. Or maybe there are, but they haven't caught on. Jumping twice is just about perfect.

iorek21

Getting the double jump in Hollow Knight is one of the most satisfying things ever. The invincibility frame thingy is also an amazing endgame skill.

Getting the you-know-what in God of War is mindblowing for gameplay and story reasons.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Double jump is standard I think in Metroid Prime (Corruption), I only say that cause that's the first game I've played in ages that has double jump. I completely agree though, double jump is fantastic. Makes platforming and exploring that much better.

Top Bottom