• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls is the greatest comedy of all time

Prison Mike

Banned
naked gun GIF

MacReady13

I remember watching the 1st film at a friends house when I was in my early teens, having heard how hilarious it was. I was struggling to hold in my laughter the original was so damn funny! Everything about it screamed instant classic- the intro throwing around the box. Ace trying to find out if Snowflake is in the millionaire's house but getting dragged by a shark and his Mission Impossible style covert mission to get to the tank! His slow motion then reverse "instant replay"! Everything about the original was a classic! Still holds up this day.
So it was a complete no brainer that when the sequel came out we HAD to see it at the movies. Went with my parents and 2 younger brothers. There were a few laughs in the cinema but I don't think I've ever felt more uncomfortable at watching a film at the cinema due to the fact that NO ONE was laughing! The movie was a complete let down and I distinctly remember leaving the cinema and all of us were so very disappointed. I think I remember reading it completely turned Jim Carrey off from doing sequels again it was so bad (although he did do the ill fated Dumb and Dumber sequel).

farmerboy

Rat Race or The Nutty Professor.

Maybe not consistent laughs throughout, but the big laughs were huuuggee

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I still quote ‘like a glove’ all the time and whenever I eat something paste like I take a second and say ‘guano’. The film is an absolute classic.

Ave Ventura, Austin Powers, Johnny English; some of my all time favourite films.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Also quote ‘shikaka’ to my brother semi regularly. Just funny as fuck.

Reflexes of a cat. And the speed of a mongoose.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
There’s lots of fun comedy and clever parts in huge blockbuster movies that aren’t necessarily “comedy” movies.
200.gif
Will Smith GIF
White Chicks GIF by memecandy

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
Wrong and it's not even close. Here's a list of better comedies off the top of my head real quick:

Friday
Next Friday
Friday After Next
How High
The Big Lebowski
Night at the Roxbury
Step Brothers
Superbad
Talladega Nights
Joe Dirt
Napoleon Dynamite
Scary Movie 1
Scary Movie 2
Office Space
Meet the Parents
Kingpin
Clueless
Austin Powers 1 and 2
National Lampoons movies (Original, Christmas Vacation, and Vegas Vacation)
South Park movie
Tommy Boy
Black Sheep
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
Borat 1 and 2
The Informant

All of these shit on Ace Ventura movies. Jim Carrey is an AWFUL actor who's been in a couple funny movies. Screaming and making weird faces doesn't make an actor funny. It's actually DISGUSTING how this is even a thread.

Jesus. Did Jim Carrey wrong you as a child or something? Shall we bring out a doll and ask you where Uncle Carrey touched you?

Chill out.

PS: The Truman Show, Liar Liar and Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind shit all over many of those films in that list.

The guy is incredibly talented.

Last edited:

MastAndo

Gold Member
I'm admittedly a bit of a simpleton, but I think Jim Carrey is the best comedic actor, well, ever. I also think he has pretty great acting chops in general - see Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

...so no argument here to name one of his movies as the greatest comedy of all time.

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
I'm admittedly a bit of a simpleton, but I think Jim Carrey is the best comedic actor, well, ever. I also think he has pretty great acting chops in general - see Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

...so no argument here to name one of his movies as the greatest comedy of all time.

I dunno man. For me that achievement goes to the late, great Robin Williams.

Top Bottom