• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Combat was a franchise I thought I'd never get into.... but here I am, praising it

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
When I first got my PS2 slim back in like early 2021, one of the games that came with the console was some random game I'd never heard of by the name of Ace Combat 4. I thought it was some generic shovelware, but seeing as how I wouldn't get a hacked memory card until I had the cash, I just decided to pop it in and try it out since I had nothing better to do
1.5 years later and here I am scrambling to get perfect emulation of this game on PCSX2, the game I once dismissed as nothing but shovelware is now something I casually replay and enjoy in my free time.

The game ended up being way more interesting and fun than I initially thought, with a surprisingly gripping story and really good visuals. The planes look great and the air fights even better, the replays especially capture the intensity of these fights, not to mention it's super cool to look back on how badass (and in some cases just plain bad) my flying was.

Also, the fact they managed to nail plane flying in 3d as far back as 1993 is mighty impressive.

TL: DR games good mate

Bragr

Banned
Yeah, I got baptized by Ace Combat 7, I only played Assault Horizon after that, but I wanna play the entire franchise. Does anyone know the easiest way to find these games outside of emulation? feel like I have to get the old consoles.

It also feels like a franchise that has been scraping by sales-wise, 7 sold well, but it looks like there are several times when the franchise could have ended.

Pejo

If you can stomach the VR movement, it's some of the most fun I've had playing a VR game. Fuckin' buzz that tower.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Does anyone know the easiest way to find these games outside of emulation?
Get a Playstation 2. I discourage emulation purely because PCSX2 makes me want to find the nearest bridge and perform a swan dive. That emulator is actually ass, not joking, it's terrible. It works for most games but everything you encounter will have at least 1 fucking glitch, or visual error, including Ace Combat 4 which has a glitch involving the sun not rendering correctly and looking all jacked up.
There are so many god damn fixes, options, settings you have to change per game, it's such a hassle and I wish there was anywhere you could play these games beside the PS2.

Last edited:

skit_data

Been eyeing this for a long time, I haven’t played a air combat game since Independence Day on PS1 (it was horrible) but I’ve heard good things about this. Might pick it up on a sale, because it’s usually pretty cheap when on discount.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
tom cruise spin GIF

Fahdis

When I first got my PS2 slim back in like early 2021, one of the games that came with the console was some random game I'd never heard of by the name of Ace Combat 4. I thought it was some generic shovelware, but seeing as how I wouldn't get a hacked memory card until I had the cash, I just decided to pop it in and try it out since I had nothing better to do
1.5 years later and here I am scrambling to get perfect emulation of this game on PCSX2, the game I once dismissed as nothing but shovelware is now something I casually replay and enjoy in my free time.

The game ended up being way more interesting and fun than I initially thought, with a surprisingly gripping story and really good visuals. The planes look great and the air fights even better, the replays especially capture the intensity of these fights, not to mention it's super cool to look back on how badass (and in some cases just plain bad) my flying was.

Also, the fact they managed to nail plane flying in 3d as far back as 1993 is mighty impressive.

TL: DR games good mate

Anyone wanna tell the OP about the Holy Trinity that is 0, 4 and 5 during the PS2 Era? It never got better from there. 2 is Great. 3 (Japan Only) is yummy. 6 and 7 are average (subjectively anyways).

Fbh

Yeah Ace Combat 7 is the first one I played and I really enjoyed it.
Fun mission variety, nice visuals and cool music.

I've been tempted to try out the older ones though I'd be lying if the nice presentation wasn't a part of why I enjoyed the game so much, not sure I'll like it as much with Ps2 graphics.

Naked Lunch

Does anyone know the easiest way to find these games outside of emulation? feel like I have to get the old consoles.
Get a PS2 and play AC 4, 5, and Zero in that order. (release order)
Then buy Ace Combat 6 physically on 360 (it was xbox exclusive) - it works via Backwards Compat on XB1 or Series.

AC6 and its DLC were removed from the MS digital store years ago due to jet licensing.
This should be a lesson to buy AC7 and its DLC before all that gets pulled from store fronts as well - especially things like the Top Gun DLC.

One of the top franchises in gaming history in my opinion.

Kuranghi

Speaking of the cheese, from AC7 :messenger_tears_of_joy::

Also:

Listening to this song with the radio and SFX turned off during a replay never gets old, seeing your plane fire off 8 AAM, a QAAM or SASM and watching them connect in slow motion is a top gaming moment for me. I really need to play the other ones because I loved 7 and I've read here and before that its not as good as previous entries overall.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
OP,

Just make note AC 4 is (at least to me) the high point in the series. Some of the other titles are good too, but some are awful (AC 6 and AC Assault Horizon). I never played the original Air Combat on PS1, but by the looks of it it's archaic.

My list of AC games ranked based on playing them

AC 4
AC 2
AC 7
AC 5
AC 6 (not great since it was 30 fps on 360)
AC AH (I think 30 fps too)

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
OP,

Just make note AC 4 is (at least to me) the high point in the series. Some of the other titles are good too, but some are awful (AC 6 and AC Assault Horizon). I never played the original Air Combat on PS1, but by the looks of it it's archaic.

AC 4
AC 2
AC 7
AC 5
AC4 was the first in the series I played. Still remember Yellow Squadron

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
AC4 was the first in the series I played. Still remember Yellow Squadron
Memory is a bit hazy but I played AC 2 and AC 4 to death. Pretty sure I got the top ranking in each map killing everything and all special enemy plane groups. Still remember Fox Force Four though I forget which game it came from.

Not sure why I never bothered with AC 3.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Memory is a bit hazy but I played AC 2 and AC 4 to death. Pretty sure I got the top ranking in each map killing everything and all special enemy plane groups. Still remember Fox Force Four though I forget which game it came from.

Not sure why I never bothered with AC 3.
Did you play the PSP games? They were pretty good too.

ChazAshley

Ace Combat 5 was my first taste of this series and I ADORE it. Still have itches to go back into it for some of the missions. Even went through a phase where I wanted to get a Pilot Joystick for more immersion. I totally recommend AC5

I played about half of AC7. I was loving it. Got distracted with other games. Now I'm on a much harder level and I forget the controls. I don't like how I can't always tell what I'm doing wrong to fail.

Naked Lunch

OP,

AC 4
AC 2
AC 7
AC 5
Surprised you never played Zero - thats probably the best in the series, designed around tons of boss battles against enemy squadrons. Just an amazing game.

Sheesh AC6 gets a bad rap it seems. Calling it awful is harsh. I actually prefer AC6 to 7. Something about the massive battles on each mission - no other game in the series had that scale. The 30fps thing was always a bummer but they designed the game around it. I actually just did I full Ace Difficulty AC6 playthru this past summer and it was even better than I remember.

AC AH was really bad - agreed.

Graciaus

I only played 4 and I remember loving it. Telling myself if I see 7 for $10 on Steam I'll buy it. Come to find out it's on sale for less right now. Bought.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You know, I was curious after reading the first half of your thread title. Where was this going? But then you spoiled the surprise before I had even clicked the thread. I suggest that next time you leave us wondering a bit to keep things exciting, perhaps naming your thread something more like:

"Ace Combat was a franchise I thought I'd never get into... You won't believe what happened next!"

What you might lose in pride and respect you will gain back tenfold in clicks.

Top Bottom