• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown |OT| Yo, buddy...still alive?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Once I learned about the scaling settings I nabbed it on PC. It's really nice.

A.Romero

I just finished it. I enjoyed my time with it. It's well made.

I'll double dip for PC once VR exclusivity is over.

mcz117chief

Really liking the game so far, currently at mission 12. Mission 10 was a nice change of pace. Multiplayer isn't really my thing, I remember that I had a lot more fun with the multiplayer in AC6 but maybe that's just me getting older.

Might pick up a HOTAS for it in the near future.
In my most humble opinion it plays a lot better than the Ace Combat 6 multiplayer. I would put it at number three behind Infinity and Assault Horizon but above 0 and 6 so it is sitting pretty in the middle right now. All they have to do is add all the content from Infinity and we are all set, baby! The fact is, that the entire UI of the multiplayer is lifted almost unchanged from Infinity. Aside from the lack of content and some minor adjustments it is pretty much the exact same thing, they even left all the PvE chat options in the game which serve almost no purpose in PvP like "delay the final attack" which is one of the most, if not THE most used chat option in Infinity.

Barnabot

Bamco has a very bad way to promote their season pass for this game. At first it was a bunch of nothing plus the ability to play the music player in game. And now I'm not conviced to buy the season pass yet.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
This game is trying really hard to stop me from enjoying it. Astoundingly boring angsty narratives from this girl, a war proceeding without any media clips, you're a nobody so you have no character to relate to, then you're made out to be a criminal so everyone just hates you and talks shit and the missions limit your abilities... Like wow, real good job letting me get into what makes these games cool...

So I'm starting Mission 6 now, how many more missions do I have to skip the story and talking on before everyone stops being an asshole and I can give a shit? As it is, I'm starting to feel sympathetic toward the enemy.

Shifty

Picked this up today, my first experience with the series. I think I spent more time writing code in Thrustmaster TARGET and fighting Big Picture than I did playing :messenger_dizzy:

It was worth it though. Now I have a smooth, deadzone free setup for my HOTAS with as much analog mapping as I can get out of the game.

Seems good so far, though there's clearly a learning curve with the various aerial maneuvers, keeping track of your weapon loading, proper target prioritization and so on. I'm still scrub-tier, but enjoying it.

I love the presentation so far too, the degree of drama and reverence for aviation is making it feel like playable Top Gun.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

This game is trying really hard to stop me from enjoying it. Astoundingly boring angsty narratives from this girl, a war proceeding without any media clips, you're a nobody so you have no character to relate to, then you're made out to be a criminal so everyone just hates you and talks shit and the missions limit your abilities... Like wow, real good job letting me get into what makes these games cool...

So I'm starting Mission 6 now, how many more missions do I have to skip the story and talking on before everyone stops being an asshole and I can give a shit? As it is, I'm starting to feel sympathetic toward the enemy.
I totally get what you are saying. That is why I haven't even finished the game yet despite finishing Ace Combat 5 almost twice already (since release of 7 I mean). If you are playing on PS4, please play Ace Combat 5 and tell me how it compares. I am sure you will enjoy it much more than 7.

Last edited:

Barnabot

Does anyone know failsafe setup to make that "Walrus" pilot to spawn in Mission 12? It's kinda frustating when you basically have to do everything alone in that mission and still prevent the Stonehenge to get a single hit.

Stuart360

The replays at the end of missions are sick. I think i have enjoyed watching them more than actually playing the game lol.

Shifty

Gave up while doing the secret planes, somewhere around the mission with target IDing I think. Some of those spawn conditions are downright mean, and the fact that they get reset when you die and continue is some hot bullshit. This particular set of challenges does not respect the player's time.

Really enjoyed the rest of my time with the game though- glad to have finally gotten into the series, so 4, 5 and 0 are on my 'to play' list.

Does anyone know failsafe setup to make that "Walrus" pilot to spawn in Mission 12? It's kinda frustating when you basically have to do everything alone in that mission and still prevent the Stonehenge to get a single hit.
Prioritize enemy bombers first, then ground troops, then aerial attack craft. Bring something fast with 8AAMs to trivialize killing the bombers, and make sure to clear entire groups of ground troops at once. The friendly units will keep them at bay while you're dealing with aerial targets, but will still dwindle even if there are only a couple of enemy units left in a squad.

Also remember that the 'schwing' noise means stonehenge is about to get hit, not that it just took a hit, so if you're chasing down the last bomber in a formation you can still destroy it before failing the spawn condition.

Barnabot

Thanks Shifty Shifty Maybe this is the most bullshit requirement from the entire Ace Combat 7. I think you have just to act like a suicidal to get this done. Almost requiring perfection in the execution..

Shifty

Thanks Shifty Shifty Maybe this is the most bullshit requirement from the entire Ace Combat 7. I think you have just to act like a suicidal to get this done. Almost requiring perfection in the execution..
Yeah, it can be pretty tight. How far into the aircraft tree are you? I found things got a bit easier on my second go around with the better hardware.

I will say one thing for the challenge planes though, I would never have dedicated the time to doing the mission 14 canyon run at max speed in a MiG-21 bis without them. That's a wild ride :messenger_grimmacing_

Last edited:

Barnabot

Yeah, it can be pretty tight. How far into the aircraft tree are you? I found things got a bit easier on my second go around with the better hardware.

I will say one thing for the challenge planes though, I would never have dedicated the time to doing the mission 14 canyon run at max speed in a MiG-21 bis without them. That's a wild ride :messenger_grimmacing_

I got most of the super planes. And still failed with a F-35. I've bombed everything I could and tried to take down as many bombers as I could but in the end 1 SOAB still managed to hit the Stonehenge. Damn.

The mission 14 I've managed with F-15 E in my first campaign run. Of course I've crashed almost in the end in the first try.

Barnabot

Btw I've just managed to get Walrus to appear. I just cheesed everything in that mission with PSL and now I got the Birds of Prey achievement.

Caayn

Just got my Thrustmaster T.flight hotas. Flying with a flight stick is pretty cool albeit a lot more difficult than with a controller, but that's also probably because I'm not used to it.

Hi there folks, just chiming in here to say that I’m absolutely loving this game.

Dogfighting online is delightful. The graphics are great. The planes all look incredible. It has a weird Metal Gear style story which is fun. The thing the music does where it gets washed out when you fly through the clouds is a brilliant touch.

Question: is anyone else playing on an Xbox who didn’t get a code for their ace combat 5 download? (I didn’t and was wondering what’s up).

Barnabot

The Wise Old Man The Wise Old Man I'm not a Xbox one player. PC player here. But I think Xbox one players are not entitled to a digital copy of AC5 because f%ck Xbox and pc players? Or maybe something about Sony's exclusivity on AC5 or something else or I don't know. I just know that no AC5 to anyone other than the PS4 owners.

Caayn

Question: is anyone else playing on an Xbox who didn’t get a code for their ace combat 5 download? (I didn’t and was wondering what’s up).
XB1 players get AC6, PS4 players get AC5. If they pre-ordered, got a code from a store or bought a (deluxe) launch edition before 18-02-2018. PC players get nothing, not even AC:AH.

I also have yet to receive my AC6 code.

Last edited:

Caayn

I wonder if Ace Combat 6 will eventually be available on PS4...
It'd be pretty cool to get AC5 on Xbox and AC6 on PS. But I doubt that we'll see that anytime soon.

The release of AC7 was the perfect timing to do a "Play AC5/6 for the first time ever on PS/Xbox" kind of deal. As an extra pre-order bonus or an additional extra for the deluxe edition for example. I also wouldn't be surprised if AC5 and 6 are legally tied to their respective platforms.

Last edited:

Barnabot

So is the reason I can’t download it now despite paying for the launch edition of AC7 because Project Aces is hard at work optimizing AC6? (Say yes damnit).

I don't know. All I know is that they take quite some time to develop a new Ace Combat game. Bamco should support Project Aces even more imo.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Still stuck on Mission 6 Hard mode after 2 weeks. I've gotten to 19k but not quite 20k.

I'll get it one day :goog_cool:

A.Romero

I didn't get my code for AC5 either but It took about 48 hrs after opening a ticket with Amazon. It seems Namco messed this one up.

Sub_Level

Su-34 or F-15 E witho those cluster bombs should do the trick, right?
Like in every AC game, pick cluster bomb, fly really high and blanket the entire map. Easy game, easy life.

I didn't have enough money to get a plane with those bombs. Not gonna farm money either or restart on Normal. Today, after what must have been cumulative attempt 20, I finally got it! Used the Thunderbolt and its regular bomb that you have to do everything manually.

The next couple missions, the stormy canyon and the desert pipeline, were absolute cake walks in comparison. They have actual checkpoints too unlike mission 6. Glad to be makin progress again, upgraded from the Danger Zone F14 to the Super Hornet.

tenor.gif

Pimpbaa

The series really needs a single player mode where you can make custom scenarios. Like pick which planes you want to fight, what area and weather. So you can just jump in and do some quick combat without cutscenes and in flight dialog. Not that there is anything wrong with the single player campaign, but hearing the same dialog over and over is maddening when all you want to do is fight and get some money. I mean that shit was standard on pc flight sims for ages, I just wish this series had it too (especially since games like this are so rare these days).

Sub_Level

The A-10 makes that mission a cake walk. Seriously it’s like cheat mode.

I must suck then cuz thats the plane I was using and struggling with. The 15 minute timer combined with the 20k score requirement was quite the hurdle for me.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I must suck then cuz thats the plane I was using and struggling with. The 15 minute timer combined with the 20k score requirement was quite the hurdle for me.

Use the air to ground missels (the multi target ones) hit the air base first, be quick and use everything on it, than quickly resupply, hit the base in the mountains, use everything you got on it, resupply, hit the last base. You’ll hit 20k with a good 2-3 minutes to spare. Never let off the throttle.

mcz117chief

Use the air to ground missels (the multi target ones) hit the air base first, be quick and use everything on it, than quickly resupply, hit the base in the mountains, use everything you got on it, resupply, hit the last base. You’ll hit 20k with a good 2-3 minutes to spare. Never let off the throttle.
I managed that mission without resupplying once and destroyed almost all the targets on first try. You guys need to use guns more.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I managed that mission without resupplying once and destroyed almost all the targets on first try. You guys need to use guns more.

He’s having trouble, I’m giving him the easiest way to do the missions. If he was good he could easily handle the mission on the first try, he obviously needs help with the game.

mcz117chief

He’s having trouble, I’m giving him the easiest way to do the missions. If he was good he could easily handle the mission on the first try, he obviously needs help with the game.
Using guns more and becoming more proficient with it is good advice. You are literally ignoring 1/3 of your arsenal if you don't use guns. You can use them in so many creative ways. Set up strafing runs to hit many targets at once while also firing missiles at targets around your strafing path. That way you can engage more targets and faster that if you were just using missiles or specials.

Sub_Level

Were you playing on Hard? I did not have time to resupply. Had to do the mission all in one go and finished with under 30 seconds left lol. I'm eager to see how I perform on whenever the next Annihilation mission is.

Using guns more and becoming more proficient with it is good advice. You are literally ignoring 1/3 of your arsenal if you don't use guns. You can use them in so many creative ways. Set up strafing runs to hit many targets at once while also firing missiles at targets around your strafing path. That way you can engage more targets and faster that if you were just using missiles or specials.

I love using my gun. It was especially useful in the desert pipeline mission where you can spam that shit.

mcz117chief

I love using my gun. It was especially useful in the desert pipeline mission where you can spam that shit.

Yeah, gun is essential especially in air-to-ground. Mastering guns in air-to-air requires a ton of practice and unless you are doing gun-only run it isn't really worth it to chase planes in hope of scoring that gun kill. If you see an easy target (helicopter, slow flying plane, etc.) use guns to save ammo but in dog-fighting it is usually not worth the trouble.

Barnabot

Guns are fine until you are fighting anything related to sol squad. Some of them, specially mr. X, have some bullshit maneuvers to deal with.

Barnabot

What do you guys think about Mr. X? That he can somehow be Cipher from the past? I can think about only one ace who could every other ones in each past war.

Last edited:

A.Romero

What do you guys think about Mr. X? That he can somehow be Cipher from the past? I can think about only one ace who could every other ones in each past war.

I think it's possible. Is there any info about the DLC? Given that the VR section has Moebius (sp?) as the pilot, I can see other DLC pieces be about Mr. X.

Barnabot

I think it's possible. Is there any info about the DLC? Given that the VR section has Moebius (sp?) as the pilot, I can see other DLC pieces be about Mr. X.
I didn't know that VR had Moebius One. That's cool. But about the DLC I guess Bamco wanted to release this game and wait it for to die. I remember that the season pass had only offered a music player. I didn't buy it because of that. And as far I know we don't have any other news about these DLCs

A.Romero

I didn't know that VR had Moebius One. That's cool. But about the DLC I guess Bamco wanted to release this game and wait it for to die. I remember that the season pass had only offered a music player. I didn't buy it because of that. And as far I know we don't have any other news about these DLCs

Wow, I didn't know that.

I thought the DLC teaser that was posted here: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/ace-...t-yo-buddy-still-alive.1471228/post-253774007 was meant to promote something different...

Top Bottom