• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AC Valhalla PS5 version runs at upscaled 4K

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
You need a very beefy GPU to play current gen titles at 4k60.

Why would you expect superior graphics all the whilst maintaining native 4k?

If you want native 4k60, then you should be happy with PS4 Pro / XBX visuals for the entirety of next gen.

With that in mind, Sony was wise to put to so much emphasis on the gaming experience as a whole: not just the graphics, but also 3D sound, a superior controller and innovative OS features that should the PS5 apart from its predecessor (and the competition).

Elias

Well if u look on Resetera website beyound3D announced that Watchdog legion is so far confirmed that xsx version is upscaled 4k from 1440p to 4k
You guys realize that game is much more computationally intense due to all the ray tracing it has, right? Which is completely absent in this game. Native 4k/60 is certainly possible for the series x for Valhalla.

Banned
IT looks like that xbox fan one, there are that many Xbox tiwtter accounts, some official some not.

Wow, so fucking what ?

a blue checkmark indicates that n account was manually confirmed by Twitter to be the person/firm that they say they are

BlueHawk357

Thats not from Xbox, that is a fan site.
You really are oblivious. It's an official Xbox account. I still cannot believe you think PS5 will perform better than XSX. Entertaining I suppose. Less than 2 weeks then you idiots can leave and stop making shit up. 😂

Last edited:

geordiemp

You really are oblivious. It's an official Xbox account. I still cannot believe you think PS5 will perform better than XSX. Entertaining I suppose. Less than 2 weeks. 😂

Dont misquote me.

I did not say ps5 will perform better for every game. Some will favour ps5, some XSX, workload dependent and it wont be much either way.

Do you think ps5 will be 20 % less resolution for watchdogs which is 1440p30 with Ray tracing for example ? NO.

I said there wont be an 18 % gap. Much less, very similar and its not just based on TF..

Maybe XSX will do better at 120 FPS. Maybe ps5 is more efficient at ray tracing ?

Not long now.

Last edited:

Elios83

You guys realize that game is much more computationally intense due to all the ray tracing it has, right? Which is completely absent in this game. Native 4k/60 is certainly possible for the series x for Valhalla.

And because of ray tracing alone we lose half of the frame rate going from 60fps in Valhalla to 30fps in Watch Dogs. That alone is a huge difference even if res is the same.
Resolution is an other matter that we'll find out in due time but right now it's clear that when Ubisoft talks about games running at 4K they can't be trusted.
For their PR department dynamic 4K is 4K.

Riky

$MSFT
Dont misquote me.

I did not say ps5 will perform better for every game. Some will favour ps5, some XSX, workload dependent and it wont be much either way.

Do you think ps5 will be 20 % less resolution for watchdogs which is 1440p30 with Ray tracing for example ? NO.

I said there wont be an 18 % gap. Much less, very similar and its not just based on TF..

Maybe XSX will do better at 120 FPS. Maybe ps5 is more efficient at ray tracing ?

Not long now.

The 20% may be used in other ways not just resolution, framerate, shadow quality etc.

Will one machine hold resolution and framerate better, nobody is saying the XSX will have a straight 20% resolution advantage.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Dont misquote me.

Not long now.

What games do you expect to perform better than XSX?

geordiemp

The 20% may be used in other ways not just resolution, framerate, shadow quality etc.

Will one machine hold resolution and framerate better, nobody is saying the XSX will have a straight 20% resolution advantage.

Thats also true, again but I expect them to be similar. There will be outliers both sides as not every game and every engine is the same.

What games do you expect to perform better than XSX?

What games do you expect to perform better than ps5 ?

Who knows except people with both in their hands and can test them in game benchmarks.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Thats also true, again but I expect them to be similar. There will be outliers both sides as not every game and every engine is the same.

What games do you expect to perform better than ps5 ?

Who knows except people with both in their hands and can test them in game benchmarks.

I don't know Geordi but I"m not going insinuate that all games will run better than PS5. Would I expect it? Logically yes, because we know that ultimate at the hardware level, the XSX is more powerful than the PS5. If the game is the exact same, it *should* perform better or at least be parity. I can't logically say the same for the PS5 unless it's a game that's not available for the XSX.

geordiemp

I don't know Geordi but I"m not going insinuate that all games will run better than PS5. Would I expect it? Logically yes, because we know that ultimate at the hardware level, the XSX is more powerful than the PS5. If the game is the exact same, it *should* perform better or at least be parity. I can't logically say the same for the PS5 unless it's a game that's not available for the XSX.

And logically if you take 18 % then subtract

1. Architectural differences, ps5 designed for one purpose, XSX has dual console and server purpose.
2. Faster caches
3. Unknown effect of ps5 cache scrubbers, and any other differences that increase cache efficiency
4. dedicted api for 1 die optimised just for ps5 rather than a common api across multiple console SKU and PC

Then logically I am 18 % - all the above = I believe the difference will be not much.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
60fps is always superior to souped up visuals at 30fps.

30fps feels like treacle.

Plenty of games run better on Pro than XBX. The last one being WatchDogs Legion. It's not only about hardware, it's also about software, optimization and APIs.

Last edited:
You really are oblivious. It's an official Xbox account. I still cannot believe you think PS5 will perform better than XSX. Entertaining I suppose. Less than 2 weeks then you idiots can leave and stop making shit up. 😂
That won't stop the warz.
Then it will be "Lazy devs", "shit engine", "Sony/MS paid for more optimization"

I don't need native 4k on these consoles. A steady framerate and advanced visual effects are more important than resolution. Everything above 1440p with good AA is fine.
Just waiting for a repeat of Pro vs X where the Pro actually runs a lot of games smoother then the X because the X is so focused on resolution.

scalman

X1S looks just murky, ps4 pro and X1X looks good but next gen just brings more into that. and 60 fps for first time on consoles.

Banned

X1S looks just murky, ps4 pro and X1X looks good but next gen just brings more into that. and 60 fps for first time on consoles.

the One X should be closer to next gen tho, it not only runs at dynamic 4k but also has higher settings than all the other current gen versions.
it has higher draw distance, LOD and shadow settings compared to even the Pro.

it will be interesting to see it side by side with the Series S, they should be very similar

funnily enough IMO Assassin's Creed has a more impressive Series X version than Watch Dogs, but Watch Dogs has a more impressive Series S version than Assassin's Creed.

AC is only 1440p30 on Series S, which is absolutely weird IMO

Last edited:

scalman

so then Xbox series S runs it at 1440p/30fps so next gen runs it worse then xbox one X ? and MS said new S console is more powerfull then one X . so then ... ?
Both the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X versions of Assassin’s Creed Valhalla will run at 4K/ 30FPS.
so even PS4 pro runs it better then xbox series S ? yes dynamic but thats should be better looking most times then native 1440p on S

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Should be out this week. What are you expecting the results to be?

im expecting the ps5 to edge out the Xsx by what ever the Xsx load times are and around a 1/4 of that time less.
but thats beyond the point... We do not know for sure yet. you cannot make that statement.

Stuart360

so then Xbox series S runs it at 1440p/30fps so next gen runs it worse then xbox one X ? and MS said new S console is more powerfull then one X . so then ... ?
Both the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X versions of Assassin’s Creed Valhalla will run at 4K/ 30FPS.
so even PS4 pro runs it better then xbox series S ?
The OneX, and especially the Pro, wont be close to 4k with real numbers. Plus they are running the game at base console settings, while XSS is running at XSX settings.
Also i wouldnt rule out a 60fps mode for XSS in the future. I bet covid has had an effect on having to make 8 versions of the game for launch.

Last edited:

scalman

anyone knows what console version is compared to PC version if on same res but pc maxed so what it compares to consoles. ?
next gen $400-500 vs $2-3k pc

Last edited:

Banned
so even PS4 pro runs it better then xbox series S ? yes dynamic but thats should be better looking most times then native 1440p on S

let's unpack the sheer ignorance (this is the most polite word that came to mind... I would love to use more drastic words... but, let's leave it at ignorant) of this post...

ok so first of all, the Series S will use higher settings than any current gen version including the One X.

second of all, the PS4 pro is not running at dynamic 4k, it runs with a dynamic 1440p which can go down to 1080p and hangs around in the middle typically

and lastly, it will most likely run more stable than all current gen versions as well

The OneX, and especially the Pro, wont be close to 4k with real numbers. Plus they are running the game at base console settings, while XSS is running at XSX settings.
Also i wouldnt rule out a 60fps mode for XSS in the future. I bet covid has had an effect on having to make 8 versions of the game for launch.

small correction, the One X runs higher settings than the other current gen consoles. (confirmed are draw distance, LOD distance and shadow resolution)

Last edited:

acm2000

for a start series s is cheaper than one x, also it plays all the current gen games unlike one x and has the next gen hardware features....

Series S is NOT a discless Series X, stop treating it like one, its a cheap entry into next gen for casuals and kids who dont give a flying shit about 4k.

assurdum

Banned
the One X should be closer to next gen tho, it not only runs at dynamic 4k but also has higher settings than all the other current gen versions.
it has higher draw distance, LOD and shadow settings compared to even the Pro.

it will be interesting to see it side by side with the Series S, they should be very similar

funnily enough IMO Assassin's Creed has a more impressive Series X version than Watch Dogs, but Watch Dogs has a more impressive Series S version than Assassin's Creed.

AC is only 1440p30 on Series S, which is absolutely weird IMO
Uh? Where you got those specs? I really doubt are drastically difference compared the pro, maybe just someone.

Banned
Uh? Where you got those specs? I really doubt are drastically difference compared the pro, maybe just someone.

VG tech did a comparison, they aren't super in depth but they test this stuff and write all their findings in the pinned comment below the video

they also found that all versions use temporal upscaling to reach their target resolution (900p on One S, 1080p on PS4, 1440p on Pro and 4k on One X)

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
let's unpack the sheer ignorance (this is the most polite word that came to mind... I would love to use more drastic words... but, let's leave it at ignorant) of this post...

ok so first of all, the Series S will use higher settings than any current gen version including the One X.

second of all, the PS4 pro is not running at dynamic 4k, it runs with a dynamic 1440p which can go down to 1080p and hangs around in the middle typically

and lastly, it will most likely run more stable than all current gen versions as well

small correction, the One X runs higher settings than the other current gen consoles. (confirmed are draw distance, LOD distance and shadow resolution)
Uh from what I remembered Anvil angube it's dynamic 1600p on pro Vs dynamic 1800p on one X. Where you get such data?

scalman

just that MS said that series S is much more powerfull then one X .. but its not seen there in numbers. not even 1080p/60fps mode .

assurdum

Banned
VG tech did a comparison, they aren't super in depth but they test this stuff and write all their findings in the pinned comment below the video
Ok checked out and what you reported is still uncorrected. Game stays around 1800p most of the time (a bit below) on one X as I expected but yeah this time pro is even lower to 1440p. LOD is better and texture are better in some cases but there is a world of difference of what you claimed except for the pro resolution.

Last edited:

Stuart360

just that MS said that series S is much more powerfull then one X .. but its not seen there in numbers. not even 1080p/60fps mode .
Where and when did they say this?.

XSS has a better cpu than OneX, a SSD, and a lower tf gpu, but RDNA2 efficiancy over GCN pretty much makes them equel.
The XSS probably just about edges out the OneX, but they are very close.

Hostile_18

Banned
So the PS4 is upscaled 4k and the Series X is variable 4k.

Me trying to work out which one to get;

qXQjJKk.gif

assurdum

Banned
Be more powerful "on the paper" not necessarily lead straightly to better performance except if the two hardware are extremely like per like and ps5 hardware has definitely some advantages too, so it could happen to see better performance in some multiplat (just to be clear different developer has reported that, not me).

Last edited:
Top Bottom