• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AC: Valhalla |OT| From Nordic runes to English ruins

NotCentered

Neo Member
You can't manually save on the Xbox version as far as I can see, although it sounds like on the pc version you can. That's what I'm saying, the autosave kept saying it was saving but wasn't actually saving for some reason. I played like 5 hours in the past 2 days and it never auto saved correctly once in that period of time. I was level 93 when it crashed, and when I got back into the game via continue I was 73. :(

Autosave not actually saving is very odd (sounds like a really crappy bug), but you can definitely manually save on Xbox. I’m playing on PS5 but I’d imagine it’s basically the same. When you press the button to open the menu, press left on the D pad to go to “Main”. That’s where you can change options for a bunch of stuff. That’s also where the save menu is. There’s also an option to quick save when you press and hold down on the D pad while in game. Try it and look for the prompt.
Manual save works on Xbox, but not when you are in a combat zone.

but I also have some weird save problems since the last 1.1.0 version where manual save doesn't work at all but auto save works but isn't visible in the saves list. When this happens, I need to force close the game and restart it, last time i had to do it twice before the last autosave was back (i though that I was about to lose almost 3h of game...). Seems that this is a bug very similar to the one there was with WD Legion and/or shitty Ubi servers which handles all the cloud saves for the game. Never had this problem with the previous version...

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Manual save works on Xbox, but not when you are in a combat zone.

but I also have some weird save problems since the last 1.1.0 version where manual save doesn't work at all but auto save works but isn't visible in the saves list. When this happens, I need to force close the game and restart it, last time i had to do it twice before the last autosave was back (i though that I was about to lose almost 3h of game...). Seems that this is a bug very similar to the one there was with WD Legion and/or shitty Ubi servers which handles all the cloud saves for the game. Never had this problem with the previous version...

Looks like a known issue

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I've realized what is preventing me from really getting hooked on this game: the landscapes.

In Odyssey and Origins they were so gorgeous. Especially Odyssey. It was so bright and colorful and I liked exploring.

Now, I'm not saying this is the devs fault, it really isn't, they're trying to make a realistic representation of terrain, but it's so bleak and drab in Valhalla. Once I left the snowy areas, the game looks like a slog and kinda plays like it to me. Maybe in general too, I'm getting tired of Ubisoft's collectfests. Just running around a map trying to find dots on a map to get items. But in this it's SOOOOOO TEDIOUS. Since lots of dots are underground and you gotta look around for entry points. It's becoming such a chore and insanely boring.

Just something about this one I find way way less appealing than the last two of the "reinvented AC games."

drganon

I've realized what is preventing me from really getting hooked on this game: the landscapes.

In Odyssey and Origins they were so gorgeous. Especially Odyssey. It was so bright and colorful and I liked exploring.

Now, I'm not saying this is the devs fault, it really isn't, they're trying to make a realistic representation of terrain, but it's so bleak and drab in Valhalla. Once I left the snowy areas, the game looks like a slog and kinda plays like it to me. Maybe in general too, I'm getting tired of Ubisoft's collectfests. Just running around a map trying to find dots on a map to get items. But in this it's SOOOOOO TEDIOUS. Since lots of dots are underground and you gotta look around for entry points. It's becoming such a chore and insanely boring.

Just something about this one I find way way less appealing than the last two of the "reinvented AC games."
I feel the same way. Egypt and Greece were just much cooler to explore. I finally got past the part I was stuck on and have seen more of the world, but it's just more of the same.

Halo0629

Enjoying the game but man a lot of collectibles in this game are god damn hard and frustrating to find. Feels like I want to smash my head on a wall everytime I see a collectible is underground. Lol!

Bollocks

I don't even know what the story is about or why I'm still playing. I rescued that character, but there is no new mission, progression etc.
Instead I'm continuing liberating the areas... why? 3 areas left but idk what's the purpose. I'm on lvl 204 and there are 320 areas? wtf

Malakhov

Banned
I have all alliances done besides 2, Sigurd was saved from the paladin. Do I need to finish all the alliances or I can go forward with the main story? I'm surely missing something, I really don't want to finish all these annoying and boring alliances...

TheMan

I have to say annoyance with jank is starting to build up. Little things like getting caught on stairs, climbing when I want to jump through a window, melee skills making me run AWAY from enemies and hitting nothing. Nothing game breaking but i'm already growing a bit weary of it. Otherwise i'm not very far into the game and I want to like it.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Picked up the game and then got distracted by getting some new hardware I've been messing around with.

Now I'm back! About 10 hours in, still in Norway.

I'm still trying to get used to the new map/compass/raven system. After hundreds of hours in Origins and Odyssey it's tough to switch to this?

Am I actually supposed to ... you know ... explore? Explore and not just set waypoints to question marks? If so that's pretty awesome!

Im having a little trouble distinguishing the "big gold dots" from the "little gold dots." Also not sure why the raven view will show me wealth that's on the other side of the map. Hopefully that's toned down a bit in England.

I never really play as female characters but as with Odyssey's Kassandra I'm pleasantly surprised by lady-Eivor. Even if she's animated like a man.

cormack12

Gold Member
Picked up the game and then got distracted by getting some new hardware I've been messing around with.

Now I'm back! About 10 hours in, still in Norway.

I'm still trying to get used to the new map/compass/raven system. After hundreds of hours in Origins and Odyssey it's tough to switch to this?

Am I actually supposed to ... you know ... explore? Explore and not just set waypoints to question marks? If so that's pretty awesome!

Im having a little trouble distinguishing the "big gold dots" from the "little gold dots." Also not sure why the raven view will show me wealth that's on the other side of the map. Hopefully that's toned down a bit in England.

I never really play as female characters but as with Odyssey's Kassandra I'm pleasantly surprised by lady-Eivor. Even if she's animated like a man.

Yeah your raven is pretty much useless in this game. It's main use is:

Highlighting alternative entrances (underground)
When you get in the vicinity of a main quest/side quest (the green shapes), the quest marker will usually disappear. You can send your raven up and it will make the area to search smaller bu highlighting it in a pale green
The mysteries you have to listen to and search round for because the raven doesn't work for them (except some keys). Some of them can be a pain as the directions are vague

The small gold dots disappear when you zoom out once I think, leaving the larger ones. The larger ones count towards each regions 'wealth' bar

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Yeah your raven is pretty much useless in this game. It's main use is:

Highlighting alternative entrances (underground)
When you get in the vicinity of a main quest/side quest (the green shapes), the quest marker will usually disappear. You can send your raven up and it will make the area to search smaller bu highlighting it in a pale green
The mysteries you have to listen to and search round for because the raven doesn't work for them (except some keys). Some of them can be a pain as the directions are vague

The small gold dots disappear when you zoom out once I think, leaving the larger ones. The larger ones count towards each regions 'wealth' bar

Ah, okay, thanks man. This is kind of what I thought but I also felt like I was missing something. At first I really liked not being able to tag enemies with the raven because it actually made infiltration a little challenging but then I realized how OP the "Odin vision" or whatever it's called is. Seems weird the raven is kinda useless but you can just mash R3 to do the same thing as previous games. Idk how I feel about that to be honest.

Also I'm starting to get the complaints the game is too easy. I'm playing on Drengyr/Assassin difficulty and I haven't really felt challenged yet.

I did bang my head against the first Lost Drengyr, Eric Loyalskull, at Power Level 7 when I discovered him. Took me about two hours to beat him. This was before I even unlocked any abilities and that was fucking hard. Otherwise though I assume it's going to be like Witcher 3 all over again where even Death March is pretty trivial especially later in the game.

Really having fun so far though!

KGEN

Neo Member
I have all alliances done besides 2, Sigurd was saved from the paladin. Do I need to finish all the alliances or I can go forward with the main story? I'm surely missing something, I really don't want to finish all these annoying and boring alliances...

Wondering that myself, pretty much fed up with the game by 70 hours in and just want to be done with it.

CAPSOL

I just started Valhalla but I think Im going to avoid most side quests / collectables and just b-line the story......Tired of filler

Last edited:
I tried to get into this, but I quickly realized I don't want to play it. I finished Origins and loved it. I enjoyed most of Odyssey, but I was sick of it well before I finished. Just 8 hours into this and I dont think I have it in me to finish.

Bollocks

I tried to get into this, but I quickly realized I don't want to play it. I finished Origins and loved it. I enjoyed most of Odyssey, but I was sick of it well before I finished. Just 8 hours into this and I dont think I have it in me to finish.
I 100% the previous 2 games, this one I'm 50h in and I have literally no clue why the game is still going. There is no incentive to keep the player going. I remember in Odyssey after 50h I was well into the story, the game showed me supernatural sequences.. I wanted to know more. Here, nada. All I did was liberating the areas and raids, the very same thing that I have been doing ever since I arrived in England...

There is just no mystery, no looming plot twist, no revelation. The one time the story could have picked up with supernatural events, the main character literally says: "That's not for me" and that's that, back to liberating areas again...

Malakhov

Banned
I just started Valhalla but I think Im going to avoid most side quests / collectables and just b-line the story......Tired of filler
The whole game is filler without any real interesting main storyline. It's basically boring short stories behind alliances.

Loved origins and odyssey but this one is a turd. I only want to finish it to justify what I paid for it

Halo0629

Man this game is pretty long and so many fillers. I remember platinumed origins in just 60 hours but I'm already 70 hours in valhalla and I've only just accomplished like 1/3 of the game.

Bollocks

Finished it around 65h in, the ending finally picked up some steam but it came way too late.
I liberated all areas before heading off to the ending and now there's a new area to liberate, idk if I want that since 1. it requires a huge jump in skill lvl. 2. why should I liberate it, as far as I'm concerned I have finished the game

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Is it me or is dual dagger just so much better than any other weapon combo? It doesn't look cool, but it is effective.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Currently level 290 but have given up on the main story I’m just pissing about now with all the side stuff. Think I’ve done half the story. Maybe a little more.

Zeeed

So, I just ran into the quiver bug. It is where your quiver bag goes back to level 4(I believe) which allows only 12 arrows for the hunter bow. This changes my gameplay as I am used to having 26 arrows for the hunter bow.

Apparently it was a bug introduced by the yule festival. I ran into the always-drunk bug in the yule festival, so I went back to a previous save before the yule festival and vowed to never approach the yule festival again. Unfortunately, that still didn't stop this quiver bug from happening a couple of days ago.

There are 2 ways of fixing this I have found online.
1) go back to a previous save
2) go to
Vinland
and shot all of your arrows, then go back to your homestead and buy max arrows (this works for some, doesn't work for others)

I have chosen to go to a previous save as I have not gone to the area mentioned above yet.

Unfortunately going back to a previous save, lost me a few hours of progress, I was wondering if anyone has gotten this bug and have found another way to fix it other then the 2 mentioned ways?

Thanks.

Nitty_Grimes

That’s interesting. I wasn’t aware of the quiver bug but haven’t read through all 20 pages. I’ve upgraded my quiver pouch to max and I’ve only ever had 12 hunter arrows, it’s never increased at all.

I’ll try the spoiler suggestion and report back. I’ve tried previous saves and nothing has changed.

Last edited:

Zeeed

That’s interesting. I wasn’t aware of the quiver bug but haven’t read through all 20 pages. I’ve upgraded my quiver pouch to max and I’ve only ever had 12 hunter arrows, it’s never increased at all.

I’ll try the spoiler suggestion and report back. I’ve tried previous saves and nothing has changed.

If you have upgraded your quiver pouch to max, you should have 30 arrows for your hunter bow...

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

So I travelled to spoiler location, used all my arrows travelled back and it’s automatically put 11 in my inventory and only allows me to buy one.

Playing PS5 version for info. Not the PS4 version on a PS5 if that makes any difference.

Zeeed

So I travelled to spoiler location, used all my arrows travelled back and it’s automatically put 11 in my inventory and only allows me to buy one.

Playing PS5 version for info. Not the PS4 version on a PS5 if that makes any difference.

Looks like Ubisoft has been able to replicate the bug and a fix will be on the next update:

It's disheartening that this bug has been around since 2020-12-16. That's close to a month that people might have had to deal with this issue. I would be pissed since my build is around bow strength.

Last edited:

TheMan

Do the real world sequences outside of the animus go anywhere? A vague yes or no will do, no spoilers please

Alebrije

So you took the short road...the one that only needs 100 hours to finish the game.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Looks like Ubisoft has been able to replicate the bug and a fix will be on the next update:

It's disheartening that this bug has been around since 2020-12-16. That's close to a month that people might have had to deal with this issue. I would be pissed since my build is around bow strength.
I posted the potential cause for the quiver bug on the Ubisoft Forums weeks ago, but my thread got merged into that mega complaint thread and the post got spammed away by other people complaining.

The likely cause is the quest were you have to raid Templeborough Fort. For some reason, the game glitches out sometimes when you chase after Lady Aethelswith or more precisely when you assasinate her guard from a small boat.
Once i jump-assassinated him from the boat and the quiver glitched out and the other i sniped him from a boat and it also glitched.
The 3rd time i followed them by horse, sniped them from horseback and the quiver remained normal. I continued the game for about 50 hours and finished normally after that without any issue in that direction.

Last edited:

TheMan

I posted the potential cause for the quiver bug on the Ubisoft Forums weeks ago, but my thread got merged into that mega complaint thread and the post got spammed away by other people complaining.

The likely cause is the quest were you have to raid Templeborough Fort. For some reason, the game glitches out sometimes when you chase after Lady Aethelswith or more precisely when you assasinate her guard from a small boat.
Once i jump-assassinated him from the boat and the quiver glitched out and the other i sniped him from a boat and it also glitched.
The 3rd time i followed them by horse, sniped them from horseback and the quiver remained normal. I continued the game for about 50 hours and finished normally after that without any issue in that direction.
lol, fuck this quest. In my game a zealot happened to be riding past just after she landed and it took me a while to realize I wasn't supposed to be fighting him. He was level 90 and absolutely shredding my ass. Luckily I was able to hide and he passed and then I snatched her.

Kamina

Golden Boy
lol, fuck this quest. In my game a zealot happened to be riding past just after she landed and it took me a while to realize I wasn't supposed to be fighting him. He was level 90 and absolutely shredding my ass. Luckily I was able to hide and he passed and then I snatched her.
Happened to me too. I had previously sneaked into high level areas in search of tungsten ingots so my gear was leveled very high and allowed me to take that guy on. However it dostracted me from the quiver bug the first time around.

This is the most amazing looking game I've ever seen. I don't know how anyone can say Origins or Odysee looked better. Not in graphics or level design. This game is insane looking. Also this is the least "tedious" mission and discovery structure out of them all.
7OhqT0c.jpg
qlqeOk8.jpg

Last edited:

AgentP

This game is long, I'm at 71 hours and I skip 90% of the side quests.

Azaroth

This game is long, I'm at 71 hours and I skip 90% of the side quests.
Agreed. It’s too long. I haven’t played much of Cyberpunk 2077 yet, but I like the idea of a 20 to 25 hour main quest with tons of side stuff should you want more to do.

60+ hours of main quest plus at least some level of forced side stuff to get the proper power level is just too much. I’m at a point where I’d much prefer less content with higher quality than just making the game so ridiculously long. 95% of games I just get tired of it around hour 30.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Now that I wrapped up Cyberpunk, I finally came back to finish up the Order and do the Vinland arc.

I was definitely hoping for something a bit more robust with the Vinland quests... Finished it in under an hour and the whole thing just felt undercooked, like they didn't have any budget. The Iroquois natives are even using the same white people models just with dark skin and hair :messenger_grinning_sweat: .

Finished it around 65h in, the ending finally picked up some steam but it came way too late.
I liberated all areas before heading off to the ending and now there's a new area to liberate, idk if I want that since 1. it requires a huge jump in skill lvl. 2. why should I liberate it, as far as I'm concerned I have finished the game
You can do that final area pretty easily even if you're way bellow lvl, it also gives you one more ending cutscene (there another ending cutscene left after that that you get once you eliminate all order members, remember to give Haytam your medallions in order to get the last order member), you literally have 2-3h of story left before wrapping everything up (if you have already finished up 99% of the order members, otherwise it might be longer). This is one aspect I really dislike the most with the new AC games, they don't have a "real" ending cutscene where you know for sure that after that it's just completing sidequests, there's like 3 endings.

Last edited:

AgentP

I finally finished all of the UK areas, hoping to finish up tonight. I want to play something new, but don't want to quit before the end. I'm to the point where I hit the button to fast track through the dialog, sad.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I finally finished all of the UK areas, hoping to finish up tonight. I want to play something new, but don't want to quit before the end. I'm to the point where I hit the button to fast track through the dialog, sad.

I'm kind of right there with you. I'm at about 107 hours and had been trying to attempt at getting most of the things the game had to offer. I'm honestly not sure I care enough to bother with the Seer's second vision quest, and I'm hanging on trying to just blitz the remaining UK parts to get to the endgame parts.

With Hitman 3 coming, I'm looking forward to finishing this so I can start that. I'm only trying to finish because it's this close to the end. I really enjoyed AC: Valhalla on the whole, though, I'm just done. There is just too much to do and not enough reason to do it.

Top Bottom