• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AC: Valhalla |OT| From Nordic runes to English ruins

Shmunter

ZbUd7x9.jpg
zypmKzz.jpg
5F0mfIO.jpg
No filter. Keep in mind, this is the A.C. Black Flag of this generation, so how freaking good are games going to end up looking?
Sharon Stone

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Yep, definitely
The opening and the name heavily hints at it, but the rest of the story? Seems fitting the the other
Well I guess it can be either way but it does fit the guy better imo.
Question is why not have it ambiguous.
Despite the option they seemed to have chosen for you
How does the rest of story hint at penis wielding? I played chick and didn't once see anything that didn't work considering her vagina. Viking women kicked ass.

I still cannot get past that damn door past the bridge in asgard. It just will not close. I’ve reloaded the save. Climbed behind the damn mountain and nope nada. So I guess I’m just not going to 100% the game.

Please tell me I won't have to conquer every kingdom in this game.. if so I'm going to sell it right away. It's so boring and it's just like in Odyssey. Doing the same stuff over and over.
U won't conquer but make alliances in all the regions which is pretty much region conquerering
They integrated side quests into main quests where every region has a story arc which needs to be completed to get their alliance and the level gating and progression is made in a way that u have to finish almost the entire map

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Grind alliances? Oh Jesus Christ. I'm turning this shit off and going to play Demon's Souls instead.

The only thing that makes it "grinding alliances" is the existence of the map. They could instead just present the same story missions to you in a linear fashion and it wouldn't feel like some task you have to do.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
How does the rest of story hint at penis wielding? I played chick and didn't once see anything that didn't work considering her vagina. Viking women kicked ass.
Penis Wielding?
There's a sausage party event later in the game that has you and your crew run around slapping cocks at villagers heads that only shows up if you're playing as a male, obviously you missed it because you played as a girl

Last edited:

drganon

Need some advice. I'm at around level 45 and the next alliance thing is around level 90. There doesn't seem to be any main story missions left at my level to complete, I've done most of the raids I can do, what can I do to get some exp so I can continue with the story? I know ubisoft said there would be less grinding, but so far that seems like total bullshit. I'm starting to get frustrated and want to ditch the game and play something else.

base

Banned
Need some advice. I'm at around level 45 and the next alliance thing is around level 90. There doesn't seem to be any main story missions left at my level to complete, I've done most of the raids I can do, what can I do to get some exp so I can continue with the story? I know ubisoft said there would be less grinding, but so far that seems like total bullshit. I'm starting to get frustrated and want to ditch the game and play something else.
There's alot of grinding. You can't start doind new quests if your settlementdidn't reach some level.

cormack12

Gold Member

WTH? How are you 45 levels behind? The only gap I encountered was later in Wincestre. Anyway, there are some world events that award skill points (power) immediately. These are:

Cairns
Hunting challenges
Fly agaric
Standing stones

Also do some things like flyting, drinking challenges etc. And then you have the actual side quests which take no longer than 10 mins each and are all quite close. You can also take your boat down the river and see small camps to raid.

Kamina

Golden Boy
There's alot of grinding. You can't start doind new quests if your settlementdidn't reach some level.
Bullshit. Raiding 3 Monasteries nets you enough to upgrade a few buildings. Spread that over dozens of hours between regular story quests and you wont burn out on it. I have 90 hours in the game and never once felt that things become repetitive or grindy.

Grind alliances? Oh Jesus Christ. I'm turning this shit off and going to play Demon's Souls instead.
At least check it out. There is no grinding or repetitive quests to get alliances. Every shire has it‘s own story arc. The „alliance“ is just the story motivator of your character to go there, but then the story unfolds.
If people dont like the story thats one thing, but that doesnt mean you wont.

If you are that far behind I assume you didnt do any side activities and just focused in the main story.
Make it a habit to check for treasure or blue side quests if you are in the area for a main quest. There are many nice and small little quests that reward you with XP and/or loot.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Who's playing on pc and what kind of performance are you getting? Is it much better than it was at launch?

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I am liking the game very much so far but can anyone please explain one thing.
How in the hell Norway and Englad areas look absolutely amazing and then the current time world looks absolute dogshit? It looks like a game from 2008 or something. Bad graphics, animations etc.
I suspect those areas were outsourced or done by some other team?

Who's playing on pc and what kind of performance are you getting? Is it much better than it was at launch?

I am playing at 4k with all maxed out except AA, DOF and motion blur. I get ~65-70fps average with a 3080 and 5600x. Pretty decent performance and a great looking game too.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I am liking the game very much so far but can anyone please explain one thing.
How in the hell Norway and Englad areas look absolutely amazing and then the current time world looks absolute dogshit? It looks like a game from 2008 or something. Bad graphics, animations etc.
I suspect those areas were outsourced or done by some other team?

I am playing at 4k with all maxed out except AA, DOF and motion blur. I get ~65-70fps average with a 3080 and 5600x. Pretty decent performance and a great looking game too.

Ah cheers for the reply! Thanks for getting back to my question.

I'm torn between this and a handful of others as my first game of 2021.

We have similar setups although I may be bopping back and forth between 1440p ultra wide and 4K on the couch. Should be able to max it out either way it sounds like.

I kind of assumed this game had some ray tracing features. Surprised that's not the case!

SinDelta

Game is amazing looking, though England in this point of time is a iffy choice.

Quick question.

Advice on-

Upgrading settlement? Gear to flawless?

Resources for both are very scarce so far. In London right now.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Game is amazing looking, though England in this point of time is a iffy choice.

Quick question.

Advice on-

Upgrading settlement? Gear to flawless?

Resources for both are very scarce so far. In London right now.

Settlement is only really important for the unlocks (seer hut, fishing, hunter, ship, barracks, are must haves at a min). The feast buffs arent that great and I barely used them. You will have to grind supplies if you rely on raids to full get 6/6 on it. In order to avoid this at the endgame make sure to also run some river raids on outposts and soldier camps, and also loot the smaller boxes in civilian areas. Youre looking for +100 supplies to pop up (or 200).

Weapons is a mixed bag. There isn't enough tungsten on the table to get everything to legendary, and there probably isn't enough carbon to get everything to flawless. Basically once the chests are looted they are done. Then you are back to waiting for the soldiers carrying wealth to spawn again. I've 100ed the map and managed to get three full armour sets to legendary, and 5 weapons (varin, yealing, dane, laegertha, spartan bow). That does me to be honest. I could have done more weaps and less armour. Armour costs 1, weapons usually 3. Tungsten won't start appearing until you are in higher level regions as well.

Azaroth

I realize I'm a few days late to comment on this, but this sounds...very odd. Are you absolutely positive you didn't miss an entire area to pledge? When you get to England, there are two different "Suggested Power: 20" areas to pledge, and then the next one up is a "Suggested Power: 55". It's really difficult to believe you could have done the entire quest lines in both Power Level 20 areas, and the quest line in the Power Level 55 area, and the available raids, and still be only power level 45. How in the world could you have completed the Power Level 55 area quest line and still be 45? Something just doesn't add up here. You must have overlooked an entire alliance quest line. Make sure you've pledged to Ledecestrescire, Grantebridgescire, and East Anglia and completed the story lines in each.

Kenpachii

I still cannot get past that damn door past the bridge in asgard. It just will not close. I’ve reloaded the save. Climbed behind the damn mountain and nope nada. So I guess I’m just not going to 100% the game.

Pretty sure u never use that door. if you want to go to the next area u need to basically zone out of asgard and take another drink she prepares for you.

Not sure if you mean that.

Kamina

Golden Boy
It's nice being able to respec skills, but not being able to upgrade all gear defeats that purpose.
There isn't enough tungsten on the table to get everything to legendary, and there probably isn't enough carbon to get everything to flawless. Basically once the chests are looted they are done.

How do you come to that conclusion?
The higher your Settlement Level the rarer the upgrade items you can buy. Once you reach Level 6 you can buy Tungsten Ingots.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
So I just started this game for the first time.

Am I doing something wrong or are there no "leaps of faith" places in this game? It was commonplace in all other AC games. Even climbing up to the viewpoints in every area, so far almost all them have not had any place to dive off of. I've found very few places like that and they were all bodies of water.

Am I just missing them?

Kamina

Golden Boy
So I just started this game for the first time.

Am I doing something wrong or are there no "leaps of faith" places in this game? It was commonplace in all other AC games. Even climbing up to the viewpoints in every area, so far almost all them have not had any place to dive off of. I've found very few places like that and they were all bodies of water.

Am I just missing them?
Continue playing...

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm at the Reach Alrekstad mission and I wandered off to explore and found this warrior that I'm supposed to kill for honor and he destroyed me in like 2 hits. Guess I'll save that for later.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I'm at the Reach Alrekstad mission and I wandered off to explore and found this warrior that I'm supposed to kill for honor and he destroyed me in like 2 hits. Guess I'll save that for later.
Yeah there are a few of those, but they are supposed to be taken care of mid- to endgame.

cormack12

Gold Member
How do you come to that conclusion?
The higher your Settlement Level the rarer the upgrade items you can buy. Once you reach Level 6 you can buy Tungsten Ingots.

I actually forgot this was added in a patch (but the patch was bugged with fabric/tungsten I think, hence the massive thread on ubi support?) but I was assuming based on the settlement question that they wouldn't be grinding it to level 6 (for info, this was the last thing I got done in 110 hours of play), but yeah the trading post should sell Tungsten at level 6 and then you should have a decent amount of silver (provided you only aid for essentials like horse training, and not ship/settlement cosmetics or tattoo designs). I think a set of 3 costs 1000 silver but then you have to wait for the trader to restock as well - not sure if thats daily or weekly?

Kamina

Golden Boy
Urgh, i tried a few times playing as female Eivor but it just doesnt work for me. The way she talks most of the time with that fake raspy voice and the lazy way she is animated (male animations shared) is just a massive turnoff.
In contrast male Eivor is just so well made. Voiceacting is top notch.
I know female is canon per se, but if they just removed that Varinsdottir reference in that one letter and update the modern day easter egg custscene to also feature male Eivor based on the animus selection, then we can all pretend female Eivor Ma’am doesnt exist.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Maybe I just suck at the game, but I've found this much harder to start than any AC I've played recently. I can never get enough rations to heal my character and I can only hold two at a time right now after very expensive upgrades.

taylor34

Neo Member
Ugh, I'm playing on the series X and the game crashed today. When I went to resume my game, I found out it hadn't saved in 2 days, so I lost a huge amount of progress. What the heck? There's no way to manually save so this is super irritating. Anyone else have a saving issue? I really don't want to start playing it again if this is going to be a continual issue.

Azaroth

Ugh, I'm playing on the series X and the game crashed today. When I went to resume my game, I found out it hadn't saved in 2 days, so I lost a huge amount of progress. What the heck? There's no way to manually save so this is super irritating. Anyone else have a saving issue? I really don't want to start playing it again if this is going to be a continual issue.
Are you in the right thread? Valhalla auto saves fairly frequently and you can manually save pretty much anytime you’re not in combat or a cutscene.

taylor34

Neo Member
Are you in the right thread? Valhalla auto saves fairly frequently and you can manually save pretty much anytime you’re not in combat or a cutscene.
You can't manually save on the Xbox version as far as I can see, although it sounds like on the pc version you can. That's what I'm saying, the autosave kept saying it was saving but wasn't actually saving for some reason. I played like 5 hours in the past 2 days and it never auto saved correctly once in that period of time. I was level 93 when it crashed, and when I got back into the game via continue I was 73. :(

Azaroth

You can't manually save on the Xbox version as far as I can see, although it sounds like on the pc version you can. That's what I'm saying, the autosave kept saying it was saving but wasn't actually saving for some reason. I played like 5 hours in the past 2 days and it never auto saved correctly once in that period of time. I was level 93 when it crashed, and when I got back into the game via continue I was 73. :(
Autosave not actually saving is very odd (sounds like a really crappy bug), but you can definitely manually save on Xbox. I’m playing on PS5 but I’d imagine it’s basically the same. When you press the button to open the menu, press left on the D pad to go to “Main”. That’s where you can change options for a bunch of stuff. That’s also where the save menu is. There’s also an option to quick save when you press and hold down on the D pad while in game. Try it and look for the prompt.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't mind them that much in the first 4 games and this ain't too bad.

I was super into it during the Desmond games, but it's been clear they have no idea what to do with it ever since. It wasn't bad at all in this game. I think they only force you into the real world two or three times.

DJ12

Has anyone noticed any changes with the latest patch seems like they had a major jump as the version has gone to 1.1.0 now from 1.0.4

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Has anyone noticed any changes with the latest patch seems like they had a major jump as the version has gone to 1.1.0 now from 1.0.4
I noticed last night you could avenge other players I don’t recall that being there a couple of days ago however I don’t recall there being an update for the game in the last couple of days.

I had 3 new skills appear in my tree yesterday, at the end of the lines separating the 3 sections, so I unlocked them. One was to do with adrenalin, one to do with arrows, and one to do with carrying bodies.
Went off and did a couple of side quests and went back to some monasteries to get supplies, leveled up a couple of times and used the skill points. Eventually died and reloaded the last save that was only a couple of minutes old and noticed I had 3 unspent skill points and no longer any extra skills. What I would like to know is:
1: why did they appear
B: why did they disappear
III: how do I get them back

I am also aycliffe with leveling my settlement to 6, I have fully upgraded the 3 farms and eventually found the house by the shipyard but can't find anything else to build. Any ideas?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I realize I'm a few days late to comment on this, but this sounds...very odd. Are you absolutely positive you didn't miss an entire area to pledge? When you get to England, there are two different "Suggested Power: 20" areas to pledge, and then the next one up is a "Suggested Power: 55". It's really difficult to believe you could have done the entire quest lines in both Power Level 20 areas, and the quest line in the Power Level 55 area, and the available raids, and still be only power level 45. How in the world could you have completed the Power Level 55 area quest line and still be 45? Something just doesn't add up here. You must have overlooked an entire alliance quest line. Make sure you've pledged to Ledecestrescire, Grantebridgescire, and East Anglia and completed the story lines in each.
I am in the same boat. I did the questline where you have to figure out which of the three advisors betrayed that queen, and after that I'm only at around level 40. I see no other missions on the map besides mysteries and all the raids are level 90 or above. I don't like doing mysteries and i wasn't gonna grind dozens of them to hit level 90 so i just stopped playing.

Where are the mission start points for Ladescestire and east anglia? They are not on my quest list. All i see are quests to get my settlement to level 3 which is gonna be impossible now that I've raided everything in those lvl 20 areas and there is no way i can raid level 90 or level 120 areas.

cormack12

Gold Member

1.1.0 was released before Christmas

I had 3 new skills appear in my tree yesterday, at the end of the lines separating the 3 sections, so I unlocked them. One was to do with adrenalin, one to do with arrows, and one to do with carrying bodies.
Went off and did a couple of side quests and went back to some monasteries to get supplies, leveled up a couple of times and used the skill points. Eventually died and reloaded the last save that was only a couple of minutes old and noticed I had 3 unspent skill points and no longer any extra skills. What I would like to know is:
1: why did they appear
B: why did they disappear
III: how do I get them back

I am also aycliffe with leveling my settlement to 6, I have fully upgraded the 3 farms and eventually found the house by the shipyard but can't find anything else to build. Any ideas?

If you use your raven above the settlement anything that can be upgraded will appear as a green outlined diamond. At some point you will wait until Valka arrives as you need to upgrade the seers hut.

I am in the same boat. I did the questline where you have to figure out which of the three advisors betrayed that queen, and after that I'm only at around level 40. I see no other missions on the map besides mysteries and all the raids are level 90 or above. I don't like doing mysteries and i wasn't gonna grind dozens of them to hit level 90 so i just stopped playing.

Where are the mission start points for Ladescestire and east anglia? They are not on my quest list. All i see are quests to get my settlement to level 3 which is gonna be impossible now that I've raided everything in those lvl 20 areas and there is no way i can raid level 90 or level 120 areas.

Speak to Randvi at the alliance map, and pledge to one of those areas. She will then give you the first marker for the questline.

1.1.0 was released before Christmas

If you use your raven above the settlement anything that can be upgraded will appear as a green outlined diamond. At some point you will wait until Valka arrives as you need to upgrade the seers hut.

Speak to Randvi at the alliance map, and pledge to one of those areas. She will then give you the first marker for the questline.
That's just it, there are no green outlines. Do I need to complete the jotunheim quests to get a new upgrade for the seers but?

cormack12

Gold Member
That's just it, there are no green outlines. Do I need to complete the jotunheim quests to get a new upgrade for the seers but?

Ah I thought you said you were at settlement level 3, lol. So you are at level 5 with a tiny little bit to get to level 6? There could be a couple of things you missed

1. Have you done all the farms? Cattle, fowl and grain - they have three each. The fowl is at the very back, far right, easy to miss.
2. The non appearing upgrades. Without giving too much away, two of the alliance arcs will send two people to your settlement, you need to buy them houses (these don't appear on the raven). It's for a character called Swanburrow. The house is just a little way up from the shipyard iirc
3. You need to have completed alliances up to Hamtunscire as you return to Eurivscire to do a renown mission
4. You can check the letter from Randvi in your room to see what she mentions as needing upgrades. It's on the left on a little lectern in the longhouse.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Just checking back, on PS5 my version is still 1.1.0.

This is PS5 version, not PS4 playing on PS5.

Ah I thought you said you were at settlement level 3, lol. So you are at level 5 with a tiny little bit to get to level 6? There could be a couple of things you missed

1. Have you done all the farms? Cattle, fowl and grain - they have three each. The fowl is at the very back, far right, easy to miss.
2. The non appearing upgrades. Without giving too much away, two of the alliance arcs will send two people to your settlement, you need to buy them houses (these don't appear on the raven). It's for a character called Swanburrow. The house is just a little way up from the shipyard iirc
3. You need to have completed alliances up to Hamtunscire as you return to Eurivscire to do a renown mission
4. You can check the letter from Randvi in your room to see what she mentions as needing upgrades. It's on the left on a little lectern in the longhouse.
I've finished swanburrows house and the only quest I have is to meet the poor fellow soldier in West hamptunshire. I have killed all of the order apart from the father, fully upgraded all farms, and I've been to talk to halfdan about his brother. Is there another quest I should have?

Top Bottom