• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ac odyssey will no longer run on external hard drives on xbox series x.

Why so defensive?

The insecurity of some of you makes you needlessly hostile when its totally not warranted.

The OP never said there's anything inherently wrong with it. He's just questioning why the limitation was imposed when the update seems superficial at best. It's a legit question.
I'm not being defensive and I don't give a crap about UBIsoft as they are a garbage developer.

If companies do give us an update for the new consoles and they feel they need to use the internal then fine they must have a reason. I just don't understand the bitching when you buy a new console and are forced to use its features.

It may be a legit question, you should ask them because you aren't getting that answer here.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'm a man that likes to play more than one game at a time. Right now I'm playing Apex, Hades, FFXIV and Cyberpunk 2077. I get burnt out easily when I just sit and play one thing for a long time.

No need to explain yourself. Different games for different moods. It's quite common.

playXray

this has to be a bug. first of all, you can't patch an Xbox One title to be a native Series X|S game, if there is a native version you will be prompted to "upgrade" which means the whole game gets reinstalled as the Gen9 version, and only native games need to be on the SSD. so it's impossible that this even happens... my bet is that Ubisoft somehow fucked up the update and added a flag that tells the console that it needs to be on the SSD even tho it doesn't.

contact ubisoft/make this issue more public, I bet they will patch it so it works again.
I’ve upgraded 5 or 6 games to native XSX and never been promoted to reinstall. It just patches it like normal. Only difference is that once it’s XSX native it has all the requirements of an XSX game, including needing to run from SSD (which is the issue OP has encountered).

Riky

$MSFT
Just check the file type, if it's Durango it will run from a HDD even though it is enhanced for Series consoles ( Halo MCC) if it's Scarlett then it has to run from the internal or storage card (Gears 5).

Ozriel

M$FT
I am actually surprised why more people are not complaining about the insane tiny storage we get.. and that expanding it is no longer 70 bucks for 4TB .. but more like 600 dollars for 4tb 🤣

Perhaps because 1TB SSD storage isn’t ‘insane tiny’?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Perhaps because 1TB SSD storage isn’t ‘insane tiny’?

owl think GIF

hmm. Im running it off External. and its def got the 60fps update.

but it has the little two-way arrows symbol. Which means its optimized if i put on Internal, correct? What else will improve

I don't understand why you guys need to have a bunch of games installed at once.
ahh...the colin moriarty school of gaming. Who could possibly need more than 4 games on their hard drive.
Many of us are old enough to remember the days of not having to wait to play a game. We just popped the cart or disc in...and it worked.

I want to play a game. And i want to play it yesterday. I dont need to fiddle fuck around with choosing what to delete, or redownloading the same game that i've deleted before just because i got a hankering to play it. Also many ppl have varied interests. Maybe i want to play a Baseball game, a football game, A fighting game, puzzle game, a racing game etc. The price of an external drive or something else, is worth the time lost to deleting and downloading stuff all the time because u can only fit 10 games on ur console. Its 2021. get with it

Banned
I’ve upgraded 5 or 6 games to native XSX and never been promoted to reinstall. It just patches it like normal. Only difference is that once it’s XSX native it has all the requirements of an XSX game, including needing to run from SSD (which is the issue OP has encountered).

you precisely did exactly that tho, you reinstalled. if there is a native next gen version you will be asked to "upgrade", this will completely reinstall the game. that is not a patch, it's the whole game.

Patch = Update
Next gen redownload = Upgrade

sainraja

My experience with this kind of thing is a little different.

The console shows arrows facing forward/backwards on titles where it is recommended that you transfer it to your internal but you don't have to do it. I know someone mentioned Shadow of the Tomb Raider already and it has the X|S badge on the cover; when it was on my external drive, it showed the facing arrows icon which is suppose to mean or indicate that when you move it to your internal, you will get the best experience or take advantage of the update/changes added.

Perhaps you were prompted by the system to move it? It might have been more of a suggestion? But if it really did require you to move it, then it's got to be a bug.

EDIT

Here is the more official definition:
This symbol is nothing to worry about, it simply means that this game is Smart Delivery compatible and has a Series X|S Version available. It is worth noting that Series X|S versions of games can only be played if the game is installed to the main hard drive of your system.
Source: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ows-mean/0d944064-efb7-4e95-961b-3638a14f8a46

So if they made a X|S version available, to play the Series version, you need the game to be on the internal; you should still be able to play the game on the external (minus the Series specific changes, of course.)

Last edited:

Justin9mm

I don't understand why you guys need to have a bunch of games installed at once.
I don't understand how people don't. I've always been someone who switches frequently. I have about 3 or 4, maybe 5 games on the go to complete at any one time and in addition to that I have games that I permanently have installed to play when I feel like it.. For example Modern Warfare, I don't play everyday and randomly have it installed to fire up for a few games weekly, NFS Heat for when I feel like a race, have MK Ultimate when I want to have a fight for example. To download or install those every time I want to have a shoot, race or fight would be pretty tedious. I'm pretty sure many people game like this.

Riky

$MSFT
You can play those games with Series enhancements from an external, easy way to prove this is to load Sea Of Thieves from an External and switch to 120hz mode which is Series exclusive, it still works.
With those Durango games you just lose some loading time speed.

playXray

you precisely did exactly that tho, you reinstalled. if there is a native next gen version you will be asked to "upgrade", this will completely reinstall the game. that is not a patch, it's the whole game.
Patch = Update
Next gen redownload = Upgrade
nope. It literally just patches it like normal - no prompts, no ‘accept’ button, it just does it automatically like any other patch release.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Just played this again today, it's installed on my external and loads fine. No prompt to install on internal.

It does support quick resume now though.

Top Bottom