• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Greenberg: Xbox believes in generations

oBnJgFD.png

I love Xbox. I adore Halo and Gears. I love what policies they've enacted during the Xbox One.

I can't stand Aaron Greenberg. His marketing decisions for the console have been terrible and I wish he would go away. He sucks at promoting what's great about the hardware and focuses on dumb shit nobody cares about.

Last edited:

Exanthus

Banned
Xbox have proven they have competent people. Phil doing a 180 on the Don Matterik mess for one... But Aaron, surely there is someone better than this guy. As an Xbox fan I'm getting over his 'We are better than you' tweets.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not the biggest fan of Greenberg but I do like that Xbox wants the gamer to be able to take EVERY generation with them with the next upcoming generation. In 8 years, when the next Xbox console launches, they will play Series X games. Their direction is great because if you're a collector (especially digitally), why would you NOT want this on your console? That makes zero sense. Unless of course, you want to spend another $60 on a remaster. I prefer not to do that.

NO Xbox or PlayStation fan should be against what Microsoft is doing. BOTH sides should want and demand this. Don't know why anyone would be against this but to each their own.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I will say this -- Sony knows it's audience. They know how important it is to gamers to have content out of the gate that you can't find anywhere else, and how it adds to the excitement of next gen reveals. Microsoft's approach is fine, they clearly can't beat Sony at the exclusives contest so they're choosing to compete in their own ways, which is great.

But Greenberg is not a great mouthpiece for them -- he likes to be tricky with his wording of features and resolutions to make his company look better and it's embarrassing and disingenuous at best, and flat out lies at times. He's a used car salesman at times, and IMO Microsoft deserves better.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Wonder what Greenberg does, because he always have the very best takes, please close your account and go to the street protesting.

Geki-D

Banned
It's definitely hard for MS to talk about generations when their ultimate goal is to release all of their games on Xcloud where the actual hardware doesn't even matter. I mean, "Buy our latest, most powerful console to play our cutting edge games! ...Or sub to Xcloud and play them on your 7 year old Samsung TV & S10 though the app." is a pretty hard sell when it comes to touting the merits of a new console gen.

kuncol02

Banned
It's definitely hard for MS to talk about generations when their ultimate goal is to release all of their games on Xcloud where the actual hardware doesn't even matter. I mean, "Buy our latest, most powerful console to play our cutting edge games! ...Or sub to Xcloud and play them on your 7 year old Samsung TV & S10 though the app." is a pretty hard sell when it comes to touting the merits of a new console gen.
And you think what is ultimate plan for Sony? You really think that they are that stupid, that they don't see that streaming brings potencially way more money and gives them full control over what people play?
Streaming is absolute win for gaming company. They don't need to loose money on designing and producing console. There is no second market. They have full control on prices. No piracy. No cheats.

It's painful to watch easily avoidable idiocy being carried out from your marketing team. I'm a 16 years on XBOX Live guy (longer than some of you have been alive) and it hurts a little to watch. They need to get rid of the WWF bullshit and focus on creating amazing experiences you can't get anywhere else. High hopes for Halo Infinite.

Geki-D

Banned
And you think what is ultimate plan for Sony? You really think that they are that stupid, that they don't see that streaming brings potencially way more money and gives them full control over what people play?
It's funny because when talking about Sony, you have to refer to a vague "future" that has yet to happen and you can only speculate on. Right now Sony's "ultimate goal" is to validate new hardware with exclusive games. Jim Ryan made this perfectly clear only recently. Rather than look up what Sony might be doing in the far future, maybe you should put your crystal ball to better use.
Streaming is absolute win for gaming company. They don't need to loose money on designing and producing console. There is no second market. They have full control on prices. No piracy. No cheats.
I'm sure Sony's finances are doing ok without putting their games on PS Now day & date. In fact I know their finances are doing great without doing that. It also isn't that much of win for MS seeing as they're designing and producing a console anyway. By your logic, you're actually saying that MS is throwing money out the window by making a new console because they'll be launching Xcloud round the same time.

SamFo

I love Xbox. I adore Halo and Gears. I love what policies they've enacted during the Xbox One.

I can't stand Aaron Greenberg. His marketing decisions for the console have been terrible and I wish he would go away. He sucks at promoting what's great about the hardware and focuses on dumb shit nobody cares about.
I can’t stand Greenberg. I’m sure he’s a nice guy. But if he’s in charge of marketing at Xbox for the last six or so years. I almost disagree with every single decision he’s made in that time.

After that last inside Xbox I thought he may have learned to ‘show, not tell’...

Knowing Microsofts strategy i just think they should have just released a cheaper box for £399 with gamepass and left it at that. Going after the power crown is just so contradictory to their current strategy especially as they probably won’t make full use of it.

Ridiculous assumptions like this is why people like Greenberg have to open their mouths in the first place...

:messenger_medmask:

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
It's funny because when talking about Sony, you have to refer to a vague "future" that has yet to happen and you can only speculate on. Right now Sony's "ultimate goal" is to validate new hardware with exclusive games. Jim Ryan made this perfectly clear only recently. Rather than look up what Sony might be doing in the far future, maybe you should put your crystal ball to better use.

I'm sure Sony's finances are doing ok without putting their games on PS Now day & date. In fact I know their finances are doing great without doing that. It also isn't that much of win for MS seeing as they're designing and producing a console anyway. By your logic, you're actually saying that MS is throwing money out the window by making a new console because they'll be launching Xcloud round the same time.
That future is now. You could even say PSNow.
Blockbuster finances were fine too, till netflix happened and they weren't anymore.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

Greenberg is the worst. He must have some dirt on Spencer, he should've been gone seven years ago after the "you realize all your games will output at 1080p bullshit". He is utterly incompetent and harming the brand.

Shmunter

What happened to Google and Apple being the real Xbox competitor? Lots of energy being spent taking shots on an irrelevant, non competing company. Has something changed?

I've started to genuinely believe that the Xbox PR department is the last thing that is holding the success of Xbox back.

Stupid as it may sound, it seems like Mr. Greenberg is going for the Trump tactic of saying everything so you cover all your bases and hope your demographic gobbles it up. What he seemingly don't understand is that he doesn't need to convince TimDog to buy an Xbox. His job is to convince everybody else why they should go Xbox over PS5, and he is failing hard.

I hope Phil changes up the PR department soon, it is severely hurting the Xbox brand with all their nonsense.

Shmunter

Its just a desperation tactic due to being dead last .

The losing streak will continue next gen as well.
Yeah, if you are going to take shots at others you really need to do it in a witty way to make people grin, otherwise it just backfires. Best tactic is to let your product speak for itself, but that hasn’t gone all that well either.

Don’t cry for me Argentina!

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Why does Aaron greenberg love "me 2 " marketing with no substance ? 😂
'cause, he is an idiot. Believe in generation my ass, because his word goes completely againts what MS is doing, so like good job Greenberg to go against the grain. I mean. First Sony with #youAreRacist and now this garbage.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I always complain about people complaining! Its my thing. ;)

I feel like you and I could be sitting in a room discussing the merits of complaining, complaining about complaining, complaining about complaining about complaining... all while complaining about each... turtles all the way down:
VdHjhBm.jpg

The funny bit about it?! I think I could be enjoying myself too :LOL:.

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
Demote or reassign the guy before he negates all the progress that the brand has made to come back from the brink. He is driving you straight back into the Mattrick era.
Perception is everything in the gaming business and this guy just creates the wrong one. His messages are juvenile and reactive. There's no leadership there.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I always complain about people complaining! Its my thing. ;)
I hear you i can understand xbox fans being upset the guy is the worst PR person ever. I don't understand why Sony fans get so upset when phil or this guy speak. It don't mean anything to them their team will still win in a blow out. American football analogy it is like new England Patriot fans getting mad at the coach or gm of the Cleveland browns. Sit back enjoy your up coming blow out win you will longer than getting upset over something that has 0 effect on anything.

sublimit

Banned
Greenberg reminds me of the guy who always runs behind anything that is popular or well received, crying "me too,me too" (while panting and sweating) and everyone ignores him because he's just a poor copycat doing damage control and no one takes him seriously.

I’ve read in various places that he is parroting what Ryan said but he’s clearly talking about generations of BC software while Ryan was talking about generations of hardware and unique features. I don’t see the big deal, just marketing his device.

Idk how people hate this guy but are fine with douche nugget Major Nelson.

Top Bottom