• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AA game strategy for Sony. They should stop making them, here's why.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Remember that e3 where sony just showed 4 aaa games during their press conference? Remember how they dropped out of E3 after that fiasco?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
becky lynch no GIF by WWE

NahaNago

Maybe not, but I assume it is still a tentpole for them as they seem to have nothing else coming soon.
It's crazy to think about how bad the launch of the ps5 launch window would have been if they hadn't had some 2nd party exclusives. Demon Souls really saved Sony's butt. I know astrobot is praised but it is still dismissed as a heavy hitter.

Corgi1985

Banned
But most AAA games are shitty LiVe SeRvIcE garbage or broken at release or bland boring derivative poor imitations of better shit.

Esppiral

I will never understand the concept of AAA games, it looks like it refers to games with an insane budget for both development and advertisement but there are plenty of games that check those boxes and are mediocre at best.....

I've played games with modest development budgets with little to none advertisement that are AAAA+ in my book.

People gets fooled by advertisement and budget numbers, that does not reflect the quality of a game necessarily.

Last edited:
So they going same route as Xbox......
giphy.gif

It's the AAA games that sways the perception and brand recognition. The proof is in the sales. As long as Sony delivers on those kind of games, they will remain on top. This is, of course, looking at it from the business point of view. Playstation business as a whole will do damn well fine and even exceed expectations for as long as they continue to give and deliver games that are GOTY material. They said they are doubling down on AAA games. We'll see.

Now, let's remove the business side of the equation. You might be one of those who love the AA creative games. My question to you is this, what difference does it make to you if the makers of next AA creative game is not on Sony's payroll?

Do you fear that these games will not be made anymore? It doesn't follow that because Sony will stop making these AA games internally that such games will now be ignored by developers or even Sony. As long as Sony is willing to foot the bill, those games will be made.

What difference does it make, from Sony's perspective, to hire a 3rd party studio to make these beloved AA creative games?
Answer: It will be cheaper. The rights to buy them or the rights to put them in a subscription service (as I suggested in my first post) is a lot cheaper since those games will release on all platforms, the risk is less and the reach is wider.

What difference does it make to you?
Answer: Nothing.

But most AAA games are shitty LiVe SeRvIcE garbage or broken at release or bland boring derivative poor imitations of better shit.

I hope Sony continues to be Sony and doesn't follow that route. But this will be the end-result if in the future most gamers are consuming games primarily through gamepass or a gamepass-equivalent type of subscription service. Hence, I don't want gamepass. A $60/year service that serves as supplementary and not the primary way to consume games is my preferred route for Sony. Day 1 AA games should do the trick.

turtlepowa

Banned
I will never understand the concept of AAA games, it looks like it refers to games with an insane budget for both development and advertisement but there are plenty of games that check those boxes and are mediocre at best.....

I've played games with modest development budgets with little to none advertisement that are AAAA+ in my book.

People gets fooled by advertisement and budget numbers, that does not reflect the quality of a game necessarily.
Avdvertisement > all that's why some companies spend so much money for it. You can sell shit with enough marketing.

You are right. Tastes are different.

Sony's bread and butter is on the AAA games though and that's where they should bank on. That's where the sales is. That's where the "exclusivity" matters. That's where Sony built it's reputation from.

Top Bottom