• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A year ago February 25th 2022 The Greatest Game ever made was released

TrebleShot

I could imagine if you don’t have a job or other responsibilities you’d think this game was some sort of masterpiece.

It’s good , not great.

Doesn’t respect your time so I find it hard to respect as a great.

Preferred demons souls.

Variahunter

Elden Ring is a close number 2 after Super Metroid for me. Still playing it almost every day, 450+ hours total logged so far.
Entering this thread I was thinking the exact same thing ! Super Metroid still that good.

I think in order to advance the open world formula, they should take inspiration from Metroid and make some upgrades needed for exploration. Like the Great Runes you obtain after a Story boss, it could also be a specific item / power up that would allow to open new paths, let's say like the elevator leading to the Siofra River. More than a simple key or equipment, it should be a gameplay related capacity like a shoulder dash destroying cracked walls, or an specific item like a grapple.

I'd also like them to refine Dex build.
Dex build should allow you to unlock more stances with the weapon, with new move sets a la NioH, which would make sense as you're able to use a weapon with more expertise than a strong/magic build.
Strenght build could also have much more impact on foes, making them fly away (like when you counter a strong attack with a mid shield), and getting crits more often.
Magic is already very strong and offers good variety. I could see some body altering spells like transforming into a beast / dragon, or more impressive spells a la Dragon's Dogma.

Hugare

A game that you have to watch a youtube video where he reads item descriptions to understand its story cant be the greatest game ever

It's a great game tho, with very high points, but very derivative compared to other Souls games and with some obvious flaws.

Bloodborne is still FROM's best game, imo. But Elden Ring is great.

Teletraan1

Banned
I think these bloodborne stans are just sony stans hyping up exclusives. They can't help themselves. That is the most overrated Souls type game I have ever played. It was good but not the best. It was also the only one I had to endure technical problems and shit frame pacing since all of the other ones I played were on PC and played flawlessly. I am sure that negatively hurt my opinion of the game. Performance matters and that game had issues.

It has the least amount of bullshit out of all of them, is the most visually varied, most build variety, incredibly polished, memorable, and by far the best lore in the series. Your title has obviously pissed fanboys (mainly Bloodborne) off, but Elden Ring truly is the best video game FROM has ever made, and by far the culmination of this loosely based series.

Elden Ring >>> whatever the fuck came before it 🤷‍♂️. Because Elden Ring just made everything irrelevant and that is FROM's future from here on out.

What is this 'Knack' some of you folks are referring to?
This "Knack" is only the single most important piece of art ever created.

It's beauty transcends the written word, and, as such, I cannot, nor can anybody else, explain Knack to you...you must see it for yourself.

Only then can you attain true enlightenment.

Last edited:
This "Knack" is only the single most important piece of art ever created.

It's beauty transcends the written word, and, as such, I cannot, nor can anybody else, explain Knack to you...you must see it for yourself.

Only then can you attain true enlightenment.
Interesting..
Looks like a great game so will definitely try it out. Doubt it will dethrone Elden Ring for me though..

I played quite a bit of both Bloodborne and ER and BB was easily the better game. ER is a good game but Bloodborne really is a top tier once in a generation type game.

Last edited:

Sygma

I think these bloodborne stans are just sony stans hyping up exclusives. They can't help themselves. That is the most overrated Souls type game I have ever played. It was good but not the best. It was also the only one I had to endure technical problems and shit frame pacing since all of the other ones I played were on PC and played flawlessly. I am sure that negatively hurt my opinion of the game. Performance matters and that game had issues.

Bloodborne was my first Souls games (played it on ps4 pro) and despite all the internet's disappointment in regard to the supposedly regular bad performance, there was nothing of it on display. Sometimes I think that people blame a game instead of their own shortcomings.

Its the same with some gamers thinking that games like Ratchet & Clank need 60 fps otherwise its "unplayable". I guess being bad just never enters the equation

Chiggs

Elden Ring kept me hooked for a full month. Every night after work I would forgo happy hours and social gatherings to nerd out to this masterpiece.

NOW WHERE'S THE FUCKIN' DLC?!

Edit: Oh, look at all the adorable hot takes in this thread. You guys are so cute.

Last edited:

Serge85

Well is not the greatest, but it's one damn excellent game.

In a time where all the focus is on the AAA cinematic movie games, is refreshing to play something that demands some dedication from the player.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
A lot of pc only souls fans and/or elden ring (first souls game ever played because is freaking easy fans) shitting on bloodborne because of poor framepacing/fps.. guess we should shit on every masterpiece of previous consoles dating back to atari for shit performance.

Bloodborne imho is so much better them ER is not even in the same ballpark... so is DS1/3, demons souls AND the best of all SEKIRO , in fact ill say even ds2 is better then this open world snooze fest easy as fuck of a game aimed to the mainstream/open world lovers who alaways wanted in on the souls genre.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sj6NaQW.png
Are you guys ignoring Sekiro?
wtf-is-this-john.gif

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Its a good game not a great game. Dark Souls 1 was a fucking EVENT among the hardcore gaming crowd at release, and even stupid Dark Souls 2 for that matter. Elden Ring is normie shit.

93xfan

Banned
The release date was actually 2/12/1990, OP. Close on the day, but way off on the year.

Glad to see another Mario 3 fan.

Teletraan1

Banned
Bloodborne was my first Souls games (played it on ps4 pro) and despite all the internet's disappointment in regard to the supposedly regular bad performance, there was nothing of it on display. Sometimes I think that people blame a game instead of their own shortcomings.

Its the same with some gamers thinking that games like Ratchet & Clank need 60 fps otherwise its "unplayable". I guess being bad just never enters the equation
Digital Foundry must be bad at games because their analysis of boost mode PS4 Pro had this game just as juddery "smooth" as the base PS4. The game had technical problems. Its OK that you can't tell. But drop the "yous bad at games" schtick because it is pure cope.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Me, a multiplayer gamer, playing the most awarded single player game of all time (Elden Ring)...

abd21828-5b8e-47d5-b391-c9915b23ad66_text.gif

I feel bad for you broskies. Putting up with so much of the same tired crap that's plagued SP for decades...y'all deserve so much better. You're Kings and Queens and you don't even know it.

Sygma

Digital Foundry must be bad at games because their analysis of boost mode PS4 Pro had this game just as juddery "smooth" as the base PS4. The game had technical problems. Its OK that you can't tell. But drop the "yous bad at games" schtick because it is pure cope.

Imagine needing perfect frame pacing to maul through such a badly designed game in terms of hitboxes, and by that I mean its insanely generous. From what I recall the fps drop is real in the Ludwig fight and thats pretty much it. So yeah most people advancing the technical aspect, putting it under hyperbole are just fucking trash and always have been, nothing new under the sun

By that please understand "i cant play this or i got disgusted by the performance i had to quit" is akin to "lol i'm so bad but thankfully there's consensus about an uneven performance so i can hide under that shit"

Last edited:

Teletraan1

Banned
Imagine needing perfect frame pacing to maul through such a badly designed game in terms of hitboxes, and by that I mean its insanely generous. From what I recall the fps drop is real in the Ludwig fight and thats pretty much it. So yeah most people advancing the technical aspect, putting it under hyperbole are just fucking trash and always have been, nothing new under the sun

By that please understand "i cant play this or i got disgusted by the performance i had to quit" is akin to "lol i'm so bad but thankfully there's consensus about an uneven performance so i can hide under that shit"

Nice lashing out sperg. Imagine inventing a bunch of shit I never said to create a strawman out of thin air. I never said I quit anything. I completed the game just fine. It had performance issue that were never patched and all other souls game minus demon souls run perfectly for me on my PC. That is a fact. Now fuck off loser for calling people trash over not liking a game as much as other games.

Sygma

Nice lashing out sperg. Imagine inventing a bunch of shit I never said to create a strawman out of thin air. I never said I quit anything. I completed the game just fine. It had performance issue that were never patched and all other souls game minus demon souls run perfectly for me on my PC. That is a fact. Now fuck off loser for calling people trash over not liking a game as much as other games.

Lmao imagine being this triggered about something thats not even targeted at you

Elden Ring kept me hooked for a full month. Every night after work I would forgo happy hours and social gatherings to nerd out to this masterpiece.

NOW WHERE'S THE FUCKIN' DLC?!

Edit: Oh, look at all the adorable hot takes in this thread. You guys are so cute.
Same bro. Can hardly wait for that shit to drop so I can jump back into that masterful world. It's gonna be so fucking awesome!

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
A lot of pc only souls fans and/or elden ring (first souls game ever played because is freaking easy fans) shitting on bloodborne because of poor framepacing/fps.. guess we should shit on every masterpiece of previous consoles dating back to atari for shit performance.
I have a PS4 and Bloodborne is overhyped, imo.

Shit performance, even for back in the day, and very samey environments. Most of the game is either Yharnam, Yahar'gul (which looks exactly like Yharnam) or the Hypogean Gaol, (which also looks like Yharnam). Then some cathedrals which also look like everything previously mentioned.
Then you have that big ass mansion in the Hemwick Charnel Lane, which I was hoping was going to be explorable but nah, it's just a basement with the shittiest boss of the series.
The chalice dungeons were cool but imo they were a missed opportunity, since they all look the fucking same. Some cool unique bosses in there tho, that was nice.

The DLC was bonkers tho, pretty cool stuff in there.

Overall I'd rate Bloodborne the third best in the series, right below Elden Ring and Dark Souls. Sekiro is it's own thing so I'm not counting that one.

Dark Souls II and III are both inferior to the first one, and Demons Souls is cool but also a worse game, saved mostly by the atmosphere. Still an amazing game, specially considering how it's development cycle went.

Last edited:
While I do absolutely love Elden Ring, Bloodborne is still best imo.
e9d74538-d540-11ea-a9df-dfa023813e67_image_hires_122252.jpg

1) Bloodborne
2) Elden Ring
3) Sekiro/Dark Souls 3
4) Dark Souls: REMASTERED
5) Dark Souls 2

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I have a PS4 and Bloodborne is overhyped, imo.

Shit performance, even for back in the day, and very samey environments. Most of the game is either Yharnam, Yahar'gul (which looks exactly like Yharnam) or the Hypogean Gaol, (which also looks like Yharnam). Then some cathedrals which also look like everything previously mentioned.

Then you have that big ass mansion in the Hemwick Charnel Lane, which I was hoping was going to be explorable but nah, it's just a basement with the shittiest boss of the series.

The chalice dungeons were cool but imo they were a missed opportunity, since they all look the fucking same. Some cool unique bosses in there tho, that was nice.

The DLC was bonkers tho, pretty cool stuff in there.

Overall I'd rate Bloodborne the third best in the series, right below Elden Ring and Dark Souls. Sekiro is it's own thing so I'm not counting that one.

Dark Souls II and III are both inferior to the first one, and Demons Souls is cool but also a worse game, saved mostly by the atmosphere. Still an amazing game, specially considering how it's development cycle went.
They are all great games, in the end it comes down to personal preference, elden ring is by far my least favorite, which dosent mean is not a great game

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I think it’s one of the greatest.

I don’t get too granular with the specific rankings and I may even prefer Bloodborne for the atmosphere, but c’mon… this is like the ultimate open-world “Dungeons and Dragons” type fantasy.
And you can play it with friends.

Don’t be a cynical bastard!

Top Bottom