• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A small rant about Ghost of Tsushima

RCU005

I finished the game but I always save before the last mission in every game, so I did. After I finished the game, I saved in a new save slot, but I wanted to load the save before the last mission.

The game ask you to save when you load? WHAT?! So of course I selected the one save to actually load it but I overwrote it!! Why would the game make you save when you are loading?!! It's completely counterintuitive! It's just like the owl in Ocarina of Time!

So now I don't have a save before the last mission. It's not a big deal, but it's something I've been doing in every game since many years. I always keep the last mission and the clear save. Stupid Sucker Punch with their mind tricks and counter intuitive way of loading.

In fact, the way Assassin's Creed Odyssey saves and loads should be standard! You have to hold the button for few seconds to confirm. If you are sure, it's not long at all, but if you make a mistake it actually gives you time to let go since it's not instant like Ghost of Tsushima. It doesn't even have an are you sure you want to save? It just does!

Anyway, the game is amazing and it's definitely one of the best of 2020 and PS in general.

/rant

Have a great day!

Imtjnotu

Either ending doesn't really change anything once you're done.

I saved him. No difference than killing him

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Either ending doesn't really change anything once you're done.

I saved him. No difference than killing him
You saved him? I imagine when there is a sequel he is dead. Either by Jin or seppuku so i felt killing himself is too much to put on him.

RCU005

That’s why you always save a separate file before you finish the game.

I had it, that's what the OT is about. I wanted to load the save to play it, but the game makes you save the game first before loading so I overwrote it.

kunonabi

The game suffers from lots of little annoyances and designs choices like that. The way checkpoints are handled are painfully bad for example.

Imtjnotu

You saved him? I imagine when there is a sequel he is dead. Either by Jin or seppuku so i felt killing himself is too much to put on him.
I didn't wanna kill him because he showed up at the final battle. If he didn't I would have for sure killed him. Now we wait for the shogun to send his boys to get dealt with in the sequel lol

Bartski

Gold Member
lol what do you mean? When you load a saved game from your save list you exit the current one and lose progress.
So you're asked if you want to save before you load, every game does this.
You overwrote the save you wanted to load at that point and you're blaming the game?

Khalborg

Neo Member
I normally play games that I enjoy more than once. The first run would be the more natural progression run; A second, completionist run.

I would consider this as an excuse to play the game again.

Hudo

Do you guys reckon that they will do a Ghost of Tsushima 2 or maybe a new setting? I'd love to play a Knight during the Crusades.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Do you guys reckon that they will do a Ghost of Tsushima 2 or maybe a new setting? I'd love to play a Knight during the Crusades.
the had job listings for gameplay designers with GoT combat system knowledge as a requirement so there is something

Kupfer

For me the Story and the characters told their story. I don't need a second GoT. But Ghost of Böhmen - why not

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Their recent job listings not too long ago mentioned experience with the feudal setting, so there is a sequel most definitely coming.

I like the idea of historical timeline advancements as well.

D.Final

Banned
I finished the game but I always save before the last mission in every game, so I did. After I finished the game, I saved in a new save slot, but I wanted to load the save before the last mission.

The game ask you to save when you load? WHAT?! So of course I selected the one save to actually load it but I overwrote it!! Why would the game make you save when you are loading?!! It's completely counterintuitive! It's just like the owl in Ocarina of Time!

So now I don't have a save before the last mission. It's not a big deal, but it's something I've been doing in every game since many years. I always keep the last mission and the clear save. Stupid Sucker Punch with their mind tricks and counter intuitive way of loading.

In fact, the way Assassin's Creed Odyssey saves and loads should be standard! You have to hold the button for few seconds to confirm. If you are sure, it's not long at all, but if you make a mistake it actually gives you time to let go since it's not instant like Ghost of Tsushima. It doesn't even have an are you sure you want to save? It just does!

Anyway, the game is amazing and it's definitely one of the best of 2020 and PS in general.

/rant

Have a great day!
I actually like it

Mexen

Oh, that sucks. Usually, I always keep manual saves of important points to me.
Glad that annoyance didn't completely take away from your enjoyment of the game. It really is quite something, huh?

D3SCHA1N

Something similar happened to me when I went to start a NG+ playthrough, I chose my completed game file to start NG+ and the game overwrote that with a new save rather than using the completed save to start a separate NG+ file. I dunno, the whole save / load menu integrated into the PS4 makes more a bit messier than when games have them built into the title itself. RDR2's save load screen is far easier to navigate.

kyliethicc

Sucker Punch confirmed in an interview that the official "canon" ending is Jin does NOT kill his uncle.

So Shimura will be alive in the sequel.

The point of the game is renouncing that old idea of samurai code and becoming a ghost. By sparing him you become what the game set you up. I liked this choice better than killing him.

Exactly. Thats why its the real ending.

Last edited:

yurinka

The mongols made a 2nd attack after what is more or less shown in the first game, a 2nd way bigger battle where fought way more people, dozens of thousands of troops and a ton of ships. So they can make an easy direct sequel with way bigger, more epic battles. They can also put there the shogun troops as new enemy types, and Jin can go full ninja to learn new and cool attacks and mechanics. They can do it in the same or in another Japanese island.

I assume it's what they will do. They are making a sequel, and since the IP is called Ghost of Tsushima and the game is being super successful, they use this same Japanese setting and I assume the same main character.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Sucker Punch confirmed in an interview that the official "canon" ending is Jin does NOT kill his uncle.

I killed him to save his honor, even if it isn't Jin's personal believe anymore.

There's no way Shimura would accept Jin sparing his life, his honor was literally everything to him.

kyliethicc

I killed him to save his honor, even if it isn't Jin's personal believe anymore.

There's no way Shimura would accept Jin sparing his life, his honor was literally everything to him.
Well the director of the game Nate Fox agrees with you personally, he says he kills Shimura every time he plays the game.

But he also said the official real ending that counts in the future narrative is that Jin did not kill him. So we shall see what happens in the next game.

Dick Jones

Gold Member

I need to change Jin to my Villain of the Year. Kill your uncle like a hero, you coward.😂😂

Thanks for the update. My expectations of where Ghost of Tsushima: Part II may go has changed now 👍

Top Bottom