• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A short guide on how to connect your PC to a TV

Fredrik

That cable must be so expensive. hdmi 2.1 is notorious for length issues
Quick google, $80 for a gen 1 below, $170 for a gen 2, don’t know what that means but it seems like there are lots of options.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Quick google, $80 for a gen 1 below, $170 for a gen 2, don’t know what that means but it seems like there are lots of options.

smells of bs but who knows... I don't.
Couldn't find that brand on hdmi certified list but optical sounds possible

GustavoLT

You'll going to need one of these to work properly! But be aware of your old uncle that says "games break tvs"

s-l400.jpg

Last edited:
If you're here, this means you genuinely think you can't play PC games on a TV, that it's a feature only Consoles can use. YOU'RE WRONG!
Today, i'm gonna teach you how to connect your PC to a TV

Requirements: A computer, a TV, and an IQ higher than room temperature

Step 1: Just like a console, search for the HDMI port on the back of your PC. If it's capable of any sort of gaming it should have one. If your PC is currently connected to a monitor via displayport, unplug that wire

Step 2: Take your PC and put it close to your TV as you would a console

Step 3: Plug an HDMI cable into your PC's HDMI port.

Step 4: Plug the other end of the HDMI cable to the HDMI port on the TV

That's it, you're done. You can now officially use your PC on a TV
Related guides: How to connect a controller to your PC, How to play steam games, how to connect your console to a Monitor
Also make sure to use game mode or your mouse cursor will be super janky.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
There is no better gaming experience than hooking my 3080 up to my OLED and gaming at 120 Hz. Nothing. Not even my 240Hz 1440p IPS monitor can touch it.

Well for me (32” 4K HDR 144Hz DSC, UHD (3840 x 2160), IPS, 1ms, G-SYNC, Extreme Low Motion Blur Sync, Eye Care, DisplayHDR 600), not only is my monitor superior to my 120Hz OLED TV, but there's also the environment to consider.

If I connect my PC to my living room TV, I'll need to either run long cables for my keyboard and mouse, or use wireless which I despise for the shitty latency at distances greater than a few feet. Then I need something like a lap tray, which even when elevated isn't terribly comfortable. This is all assuming I have space for the PC and an open slot on my fancy surge protector.

Meanwhile, in my home office, I can sit at my desk and everything is right there. Everything is comfortable, all I need right in reach. I have my headphones on a stand on the desk, my Quest 2 is on a stand with the controllers, mouse and keyboard are wired, the monitor is at a perfect distance away from me, etc.

So it's really more than just tech specs and performance and the like for me. It's the entire ordeal and the vibe between the two settings (living room vs home office).

BlackTron

Joke is on you!! I can't even see a HDMI port here:

maxresdefault.jpg

Consoles >>> PC!

What if I told you I actually have one of these, and many years ago I bizarrely brought it to a party because it was the only feasible way to play Towerfall on short notice...there was some demand from new contenders hearing about it and wanting to play. Before it was on more platforms, it was like Ouya and PC only.

I had a massive gaming PC I didn't want to move and the game ran on this potato laying around so I said why not...but still felt really strange doing this lol. Game was a hit. Goes to show good software can give just about any piece of hardware its 15 minutes of fame?

This is like a horror story of life before Switch.

stevish

Neo Member
I have my pc connected to TV, have a wireless keyboard from aliexpress for general navigation, for actual kb+m games I use roccat sova... both work really well

S46ccc373564d4f56a2841745f5d58622x.jpg_640x640Q90.jpg_.webp

Image_16.jpg

Dream-Knife

Banned
Well for me (32” 4K HDR 144Hz DSC, UHD (3840 x 2160), IPS, 1ms, G-SYNC, Extreme Low Motion Blur Sync, Eye Care, DisplayHDR 600), not only is my monitor superior to my 120Hz OLED TV, but there's also the environment to consider.

If I connect my PC to my living room TV, I'll need to either run long cables for my keyboard and mouse, or use wireless which I despise for the shitty latency at distances greater than a few feet. Then I need something like a lap tray, which even when elevated isn't terribly comfortable. This is all assuming I have space for the PC and an open slot on my fancy surge protector.

Meanwhile, in my home office, I can sit at my desk and everything is right there. Everything is comfortable, all I need right in reach. I have my headphones on a stand on the desk, my Quest 2 is on a stand with the controllers, mouse and keyboard are wired, the monitor is at a perfect distance away from me, etc.

So it's really more than just tech specs and performance and the like for me. It's the entire ordeal and the vibe between the two settings (living room vs home office).
You really should be using a UPS for PCs and consoles these days. It 'cleans' the power, preventing issues.

Switch would obviously be the exception.

Kataploom

Gold Member
You're not getting it, if you want to have mouse and keyboard for playing you'd be better sit on a desk... Tv and couch setup is for those that prefer using a controller as in a console, but with the advantages of a PC (power, mods, etc). Mouse and keyboard are just occasional support, that's why some had shown these keyboards with track pads in them, since they're more comfortable if the main experience is going to be had with a controller anyway.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
You're not getting it, if you want to have mouse and keyboard for playing you'd be better sit on a desk... Tv and couch setup is for those that prefer using a controller as in a console, but with the advantages of a PC (power, mods, etc). Mouse and keyboard are just occasional support, that's why some had shown these keyboards with track pads in them, since they're more comfortable if the main experience is going to be had with a controller anyway.

OK. I admit I probably don't have the most ideal set up in my living room. I was just relaying why in my experience I don't wanna PC game in that setting.

Kataploom

Gold Member
OK. I admit I probably don't have the most ideal set up in my living room. I was just relaying why in my experience I don't wanna PC game in that setting.
I just learnt to aim with twin just to staying away from computer desk after 8+ hours of work a day, but for paladins I'll still go there anyway. I'm thinking on moving there for Doom Eternal too but gonna try some times more with the controller before giving up on the couch lol... It's just too comfy honestly

Last edited:

Fredrik

It's not about being quiet, it's about being welcoming. If someone comes over, I don't mind if my daughter is playing with her toys on the rug with Paw Patrol on. That's a welcoming area to walk into. You can engage with others and watch the show together if you wish, or ask her about her toys. But video games? It's usually an experience where the person playing is tuned out and focused only on the TV. Video game sounds are constantly annoying, especially if you're not the one playing but you can hear it. It's even worst if they're in voice chat. And don't dare walk in front of the TV. It's not welcoming at all.

And if you haven't noticed, I consider the vibe of our house to be vital. It's as clean as its going to be with a kid. The couch and chairs are always picked up, there's always room on the kitchen island so it doesn't look crowded so it feels good to stand around and talk, a candle is lit, the blinds are open during the day. The vibe of a living room and kitchen can improve your day immensely or reduce your attitude if it's not picked up. It's something that I consider vital in daily life and a video game playing in this space nulls a lot of effort in this area.
My life is chaos so I really can’t relate to that tidy TV ad like scenario 😳

I understand the voice chats concern though, I don’t like that either, it’s unrespectful in a living room. To me gaming in the living room needs to be done in a certain way with respect for the rest of the family; either the kids are all playing together (i.e Mario Kart) or taking turns or me or my wife play with them. Then when the kids are sleeping we can play together or alone without isolating from each other with a headset and online gaming. PC gaming by a desk is more isolated I think. And VR is goodbye world.

Chukhopops

Since there are no statistics you are simply pulling numbers out of your ass based on your personal preference again. Also It´s not really a new thing for GPUs to have more than one connector. This notion that you absolutely have to choose one or the other is idiotic. Cables can be longer than a meter and there`s a fascinating invention called "wireless" that some exotic input devices are rumored to have nowadays......

I know that you think that based on ...nothing. If I´d go around and generalize what I see in my vicinity it would be 90+% for me and my friends who have all been PC nerds since the 90s, but I´m not arrogant enough to think that this mini-statistic means anything.

Because a couchmaster has to stay assembled at all times and can never be removed once installed. My wife will have to live around it for the rest of her life.....oh wait, no, I can just put it aside whenever I like.
This is getting ridiculous how you literally invent "arguments" now based on some nonsense sitcom relationship image no less....

This is the only non-falsely-generalized thing you`ve said so far. How about we leave it at that.....
There actually ARE statistics, that’s why I was asking how much the percentage was according to you:

https://www.pcgamer.com/only-around-10-of-steam-gaming-sessions-are-played-with-a-controller/

KBM is still by far the main input method so either there are a lot of Couchmasters / Bluetooth keyboards out there or it is, in the end, a niche usage. Like I was saying since the beginning.

You should probably leave it at that indeed.

Haggard

Banned
There actually ARE statistics, that’s why I was asking how much the percentage was according to you:

https://www.pcgamer.com/only-around-10-of-steam-gaming-sessions-are-played-with-a-controller/

KBM is still by far the main input method so either there are a lot of Couchmasters / Bluetooth keyboards out there or it is, in the end, a niche usage. Like I was saying since the beginning.

You should probably leave it at that indeed.
That is one way to drag an innocent and unrelated statistic into a discussion you still have no arguments for.....

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
Nobody on Gaf seriously thinks that it's impossible to connect a PC to your TV. But there are plenty of other reasons for why doing so is worse than using a console. And I do have my PC hooked to my TV.
I don't know which tv you have but I use a 55 4k tv for some PC gaming and it looks beautiful.

Mini itx PC plugged to a LG G1. My former high end monitor (Acer predator 27 1440p 144hz Gsync) looks very sad in comparison, now it only displays Excels sheets for work, the gaming PC stayed on the TV.
for inputs I've been using this baby for a decade maybe, it just works : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IICMUWS/?tag=neogaf0e-20
For games that require it, a mouse on the couch armchair does the job, played hundreds of hours of old schools CRPG that way.
Xbox gamepads have been working natively for more than a decade.
Of course you need to be somewhat close the the TV to use it as a monitor, I'm about 2m away from my 65" and it's comfy.

Now waiting for the Nvidia 4xxx series so I can enjoy 4k/120fps/HDR (my 2070s limits me to 4k/60fps/HDR or 4k/120fps).

Will the TV accept 1440p? Ran into a similar issue with my new Philips and a 2080ti but got around it by using 1440p so I have 120hz with HDR and GSync. Was gonna settle on 4K/120Hz but there's no HDR and if I enabled GSync the audio would stutter and dropout all the time. 1440p seems a decent compromise as I can use all the TV features until the card is upgraded.

Three

apparently 2006 because i still see people saying that they perfer consoles cuz you can use them on a TV
Those people are saying that because they have a PC but placed it at a desk as a work station too not because they don't know how to connect it to a TV.

Boss Man

Always amazed by people who think they’re some sort of tech wizards because they watched a youtube video and learned how to snap PC parts together.

Playing PC games on TV sucks because of the software (OS) and also because PC towers look like shit in the living room unless you’re creating a specialized build for it.

Also, if you’re playing PC games with a controller 10FT away from your TV what’s even the point of spending $1500 instead of $500?

I could see myself building a console style SteamOS (As Proton evolves) machine towards the end of this generation if it makes sense to do it. It’s super disingenuous (or ignorant) to pretend that a PC plugged into a TV is just like a game console though.

Frankly, I think it’s more likely that I would build a gaming PC because console VR solutions lag behind (and then wish that my PC was a console) than it is for PC gaming to offer a legitimate console experience that’s worth the extra cost in the near future.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
It's just a different vibe. It's not that we don't know, it's more that there's no need or incentive for me.

I remember when we had to use horrible gear like this shit box from Guillemot.

deluxe2-1.jpg

Had two of those and they kept completely bugging out after one day of use. Ended up swapping for a printer that was shit too.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Also, if you’re playing PC games with a controller 10FT away from your TV what’s even the point of spending $1500 instead of $500?
You just made yourself look like an ignorant. Make some research yourself and come back.

This has been discussed a thousand times on this forum and people still has the audacity of making the same silly questions. Like dude, this thread was created as a parody of posters like you and you still came in to post the same foolish shit. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Boss Man

You just made yourself look like an ignorant. Make some research yourself and come back.

This has been discussed a thousand times on this forum and people still has the audacity of making the same silly questions. Like dude, this thread was created as a parody of posters like you and you still came in to post the same foolish shit. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I don’t need to do any research, I’ve built gaming PCs before and even pretended that it was more awesome than it really was in threads exactly like this.

For me, I always just ended up wanting the best console experience for the best value and the best solution for that is still just a console. If I could overspend for a much more premium console experience I probably would, but it’s just not even there yet as an option.

Last edited:

Zug

Will the TV accept 1440p? Ran into a similar issue with my new Philips and a 2080ti but got around it by using 1440p so I have 120hz with HDR and GSync. Was gonna settle on 4K/120Hz but there's no HDR and if I enabled GSync the audio would stutter and dropout all the time. 1440p seems a decent compromise as I can use all the TV features until the card is upgraded.
Yes indeed, I often play in 1440p, a 2070s cannot push much more in modern games.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
connecting it is the easy part... hiding it without creating a oven is the harder part... then you have to deal with a largish trackpad/keyboard laying around and cables..... but i guess if you dont mind a big tacky mess then.... 🤷‍♂️

KCqur.jpg

OP's entetrtainment center. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
  1. WAY better performance while looking better
  2. Non-dynamic resolution
  3. 60fps. I know there's performance mode in console but how did it work for Bloodborne?
  4. Higher than 60fps with much less compromises (if any, gaming PCs are built with 60 fps minimum in mind)
  5. If the performance is bellow your needs, you can always make compromises where you prefer them to be
  6. You can customize the way graphics look (like you don't like film grain? chromatic aberration? blur? ez, just disable it)
  7. Modding... I hate it when a game doesn't have separated options voices and texts languages so for me that I care a lot, it's as simple as switching files (issue is finding which files, but... next point)
  8. Modding... Someone already automated some stuff or fixes for my preferences
  9. Almost infinite BC
  10. Even almost infinite hardware BC given the right PCI card ports or adapters
  11. Someone has almost of their library in PC stores
  12. Uncensored japanese games
  13. Japanese games in general are coming to PC and some are better played there with user-made patches than on consoles forever broken
  14. Free online
  15. Parents don't have money for console but have for PC to do homework or whatever (in my case before I grew up)
  16. Money is too limited and PC is not even optional due to work AND already sitting on the same desk after 8 hours of work doesn't sound like relaxing,a ctually (my case some years ago)
I mean... there's still lots of reasons more one could prefer PC for couch gaming... It's more expensive but because you're not getting subsidized by a platform holder. Consoles cost more than $500 considering online too (somehow they have to recoup the lost).

I'm a PC couch gamer, I know what I say 🤷

Mercador

Any ideas how to force Xbox opening games on the second monitor (TV) all the time? It's a bit burdensome to move games like FH5 each time, adjust resolution, hdr, I wish there was a "Big Picture" mode on the Xbox PC app.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Any ideas how to force Xbox opening games on the second monitor (TV) all the time? It's a bit burdensome to move games like FH5 each time, adjust resolution, hdr, I wish there was a "Big Picture" mode on the Xbox PC app.
Put the screen you want your games to be opened on as primary screen, some games also have the options to pick which screen you want to show them on

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
connecting it is the easy part... hiding it without creating a oven is the harder part... then you have to deal with a largish trackpad/keyboard laying around and cables..... but i guess if you dont mind a big tacky mess then.... 🤷‍♂️

KCqur.jpg

this is accurate lmao

Beechos

Theres def nothing wrong with a pc on tv but def not as convenient as a console. Everything has its place and what theyre best suited for. Just like i would never connect my console to a pc monitor or even attempt to use the web browser built into consoles for surfing the web.

Last edited:

Mercador

Put the screen you want your games to be opened on as primary screen, some games also have the options to pick which screen you want to show them on
Yeah, the issue is the TV isn't in the same room so it's a bit of pain to try using a wireless keyboard to navigate. But thanks nonetheless!

Brofist

KCqur.jpg

You don't need a PC to have that look if you cable manage like a retard on fire

n3ixbcf94gux.jpg

Top Bottom