• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Real-Time Particle Physics based game for Xbox Series X and high end PC's by Grant Kot

svbarnard

Banned
I'm speculating based on paper specs. It should be possible to keep the same level of physics simulation, as the XSS CPU still looks very powerful. Maybe graphics settings would need to be lowered, but I still have a lot of optimization work planned. My game doesn't use much memory (no textures, no open world streaming yet, instanced meshes), so I should be able to stick to the faster subset and the memory bandwidth there looks ok (8GB @ 224 GB/s).

EmberGen is really cool. I think we will be seeing it pop up in various games. There might not be volumetric export yet but people can still export image sequences. On their site they say Bluepoint is using their tools.

Why are there two different blocks of memory for the series s? The smaller one of 56 GB a second what's that one for can it be used for the video games at all or is it just for the operating system?

Now hold on. Your demos have been mind-blowing to me are you saying that the series s could play video games with that level of destruction and physics? Are you saying that games on the series s are going to have such unprecedented levels of destruction like that?

kotsoft

Neo Member
Why are there two different blocks of memory for the series s? The smaller one of 56 GB a second what's that one for can it be used for the video games at all or is it just for the operating system?

Now hold on. Your demos have been mind-blowing to me are you saying that the series s could play video games with that level of destruction and physics? Are you saying that games on the series s are going to have such unprecedented levels of destruction like that?
I don’t know too much about the memory but yeah I imagine OS and any game data that’s not updated/read as frequently? Hopefully the CPU also gets access to the fast memory because I read online that on the X the fastest 560 GBps is reserved for the GPU and the CPU can use the 336 GBps memory.

On PC I have to deal with getting data over from system memory to GPU memory and that’s a pretty big bandwidth bottleneck too, perhaps the unified memory architecture of consoles will provide an advantage over PC, at least pre PCIe 4? And my memory is only DDR4 2400.

Also my demos and eventual game focus on physics, other games might prioritize other things/have way more parts. So I’m cautiously optimistic about getting my stuff at least running on XSS, can’t make any promises but I will give it a try if I get into ID@Xbox.

3fa053983f0dd9150967bb8cbd5dd5de.gif

I'm speculating based on paper specs. It should be possible to keep the same level of physics simulation, as the XSS CPU still looks very powerful.
Complex physics, especially particle physics should never be run on the cpu though..... The gpu does that 10-20 times faster due to its parallel processing nature. CPUs reach their limits in simulations like this very fast.

Last edited:

kotsoft

Neo Member
Complex physics, especially particle physics should never be run on the cpu though..... The gpu does that 10-20 times faster due to its parallel processing nature. CPUs reach their limits in simulations like this very fast.
If the GPU is just doing physics, definitely, but if it has other rendering tasks it needs to handle, CPUs these days are not that bad either. These 10x-100x comparisons often came from comparing GPU to non-parallel, non SIMD-vectorized code. AVX2 (8-wide floating point) is now fairly common and AVX512 (16-wide) is starting to be as well. Core count is also increasing.

Is a PS5 version planned?
Initially focusing on DirectX 12 supporting systems and once that is all stable I might branch out. I’m just one guy and if I spread myself too thin all versions will be mediocre.

If the GPU is just doing physics, definitely, but if it has other rendering tasks it needs to handle, CPUs these days are not that bad either. These 10x-100x comparisons often came from comparing GPU to non-parallel, non SIMD-vectorized code. AVX2 (8-wide floating point) is now fairly common and AVX512 (16-wide) is starting to be as well. Core count is also increasing.
Still no comparison to gpu speed here......almost as if their architecture was made for exactly that type of math ;)
I´d never run something like this on the cpu, it`s just highly inefficient.

Last edited:

Journey

Banned
What happens when Lockhart is announced will the game be able to be played there? Because if it can he needs to stop acting like it's not possible on the PS5.

CD Project Red shows the Witcher 3

Obsessed Nintendo fanboy, it must be possible on the Switch, don’t act like it can’t be done on the Switch.

Ok, calm down what’s being show is for high end PC, it is you that shouldn’t act like changes and compromises wouldn’t need to be made to make it work well on other platforms

Chun Swae

Banned
Both Xbox and PS5 could very easily run this, but since it's being made by one person I guess I can understand targeting 1 console platform for time reasons..
Anyways this type of physics tech needs to be standard going forward for next gen. I'm tired of boring static worlds that you can't interact with.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
You are totally right, that's why something more than physics in Control is going to run on GPU. Which is bitch on itself, because you have to sync those threads and that's not an easy task.

Kuranghi

I miss those

You can still download old Winamp and use Milkdrop visualiser, which is like 10x better than the WMP ones. If you have a modern CPU you can really crank it up these days as well so its pin sharp. I run it at 4K (Which runs at 60fps for 99% of presets) with a massively increased internal texture size and the fractal ones look crazy and mezmerising.

Top Bottom