• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Note from the Rockstar Games Team RE: Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition

CamHostage

They will be giving out the classic versions for free to the owners of Definitive editions only on PC for now.

Grand Theft Auto Reaction GIF by Rockstar Games

by "classic version" they mean the shiddy mobile game ports, right?

Right, there isn't any platform AFAIK that has the "classic version". (Xbox Live version would probably be the closest it could come, but I don't know if OG Xbox GTA ever was on the 360 store?) No available version to purchase in this or previous console generation or PC digital storefront is the original Renderware engine and asset set, for better or worse. (I hear that the PC version was able to be modded to be good, but console owners wouldn't have access to that even if they could get that old port-over version again.)

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Right, there isn't any platform AFAIK that has the "classic version". (Xbox Live version would probably be the closest it could come, but I don't know if OG Xbox GTA ever was on the 360 store?) No available version to purchase in this or previous console generation or PC digital storefront is the original Renderware engine and asset set, for better or worse. (I hear that the PC version was able to be modded to be good, but console owners wouldn't have access to that even if they could get that old port-over version again.)
PS4 versions were pure PS2 versions in HD with AA.

yeh i think it was on Digital Foundry. I watched a vid.....that even if u buy the original San Andreas disc for the original xbox. And play it backwards compatible. It downloads the mobile port

not sure what happens on 360.

RAIDEN1

.....We didn't expect or see that our re-worked engine would now allow players to be able to see far off in the distance, whilst at the same-time reducing the sense of scale of the play area, our intention was to give great rain effects, but for some reason we didn't foresee the rain travelling upwards instead of down.."

Last edited:

RafterXL

We've seen this play out with many studios over the years. Same name, different focus and quality. Rockstar is dead, enjoy what they've given us up to this point because it's over. GTA6 will an absolute trainwreck.

Fix the good dann spelling errors you clowns.

Welcom To Vice City.
obs3J6y.jpg
That's what happens when actual humans don't work on the game. The character models, billboards, etc. were all clearly made using AI filtering. I guarantee they didn't know those spelling errors existed because no human eye had ever looked at them.

ripeavocado

Banned
Is this a joke?

this is cyberpunk 2077 all over again, they should put a dedicated R* team of actual developers to manage the development and they have to be quick.

cyberpunk 2077 is still a clusterfuck after almost one year, they haven’t even released a next gen patch yet, what a joke.

GametimeUK

"The Grand Theft Auto series — and the games that make up this iconic trilogy — are as special to us as we know they are to fans around the world. The updated versions of these classic games did not launch in a state that meets our own standards of quality, or the standards our fans have come to expect."

How the fuck are they gonna say the original trilogy is as special to them as it is to us and then admit the games didnt meet its own standard of quality? If they truly did care then the games wouldn't have released in such a state. That's just the truth.

dotnotbot

Is this a joke?

this is cyberpunk 2077 all over again, they should put a dedicated R* team of actual developers to manage the development and they have to be quick.

cyberpunk 2077 is still a clusterfuck after almost one year, they haven’t even released a next gen patch yet, what a joke.

That would delay GTA 6 even more. The idea is that core Rockstar with all it's studios is working full speed on GTA 6, but because it still needs 2-3 more years, in the meantime they are releasing a series of as cheap as possible ports/remasters, handled either by someone from outside or by newly aquired Ruffian games (Rockstar Dundee).

Putting any effort into this abomination is not what they want. They want quick and easy money.

Last edited:

ripeavocado

Banned
That would delay GTA 6 even more. The idea is that core Rockstar with all it's studios is working full speed on GTA 6, but because it still needs 2-3 more years, in the meantime they are releasing a series of as cheap as possible ports/remasters, handled either by someone from outside or by newly aquired Ruffian games (Rockstar Dundee).

Putting any effort into this abomination is not what they want. They want quick and easy money.

5000 people working for 5 years on a game that is going to be more scripted and cimematic than any other one before, what a incredible feat!

they are lucky they are guaranteed to sell at least 30 million copies or they will be in trouble.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
unexpected technical issues
Unexpected?? Really?? You saw it a mile a way Rockstar and you shipped it anyway. This is a stupid lie and you should be ashamed.
we want to sincerely apologize to everyone who has encountered issues playing these games.
We made you pay full price for our broken remaster of our 17+ years- 3 generations old games.
The Grand Theft Auto series — and the games that make up this iconic trilogy — are as special to us
So special that you gave the remaster to an amateur dev to do them. Yeah Rockstar. So special.

Usual bullshit PR:
-Let's release a shitty unfinished game technically
-Take the money
-Let the bubble implode everywhere
-Let's cook
-Give to our paying slaves usual bla bla bla "not our standard quality" and apologies, and let's pretend that was "unexpected" [ surejan.gif ]
-Then promise to finally finish the game in [undefined] months.
Its gotten to the point where it is risky to buy games at launch now and its unfortunate

Being able to patch games after launch should have improved gaming not become an excuse to ship a crappy product on day 1.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

we need an industry wide change. people need to start getting irate about devs shipping broken games. even more so than we have, apparently.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Shame as Rockstar tend to deliver quality.

Apparently the porting studio only has 21 employees 🤨

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
Rockstar Games is on my list of devs that it would be hard for me to support, they have lost their touch and are clearly money-hungry for anything they can get their hands on. Pathetic excuse of an apology.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Hasn’t only one of them left?
Yeah, but most these people don't know WTF they're talking about. Just perpetuating retarded nonsense.

The funny thing is Sam literally commented on the GTA Trilogy DE not even two weeks ago:

"The response and impact we felt from the original Grand Theft Auto Trilogy was – and still is – truly humbling for us all," said Sam Houser, Founder of Rockstar Games. "We are so grateful to all the players, and we cannot wait for everyone to play these new versions."

Last edited:

Fake

This has to be a joke. Wtf is that kind of response we need to hold the gaming industry to a high standard as we do with the movie industry.

Welcome to Twitter. You can play at attack mode and defense mode at the same time.

dotnotbot

Yeah, but most these people don't know WTF they're talking about. Just perpetuating retarded nonsense.

The funny thing is Sam literally commented on the GTA Trilogy DE not even two weeks ago:

Yeah, I love comments like "This is why Dan left" or "Dan wouldn't allow this", ignoring shitty ports of GTA IV on PC or San Andreas on X360/PS3. 3D trilogy ports for PC were also low effort and flawed.

Last edited:

JoeBudden

This whole situation is so weird to me cause I've been playing San Andreas relatively fine on PS5 since I got the game. I know GTA3 is apparently super fucked up, but yeah, almost no issues with San Andreas. I've only had 2 crashes, and there's only one small area that I remember that makes my FPS drop to like low 40s. I'll agree with the rain effects tho.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
"Unexpected" my ass. The only way that's possible is if you did literally zero quality control before releasing this thing. It's either that or you didn't give a shit. Either way it's not something that just happened, you chose to let it happen.

Fixing bugs and improving the awful performance won't be enough, this release is so low quality overall that it's gonna take a year of updates to make it acceptable.

Last edited:

Eimran

After GTA V and this shit now I can honestly say Rockstar can suck a million dicks. How the mighty have fallen.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

This whole situation is so weird to me cause I've been playing San Andreas relatively fine on PS5 since I got the game. I know GTA3 is apparently super fucked up, but yeah, almost no issues with San Andreas. I've only had 2 crashes, and there's only one small area that I remember that makes my FPS drop to like low 40s. I'll agree with the rain effects tho.
It's playable but not faithful to original, lots of small issues here and there that all add up to something that looks like a very low effort job. Disrespectful treatment for a game that has such an enormous fanbase.

Basically every key element has some flaws if you compare it to original:
- some missing effects
- dumbed down difficulty in some missions (enemy vehicles stopping and waiting for you in chase missions, lowrider mission has less prompts)
- some textures are upscalled very poorly with spelling errors and artifacts
- physics are now more unstable than in original game with 30 fps limit
and more

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Thats the playbook right there! It's disgusting. Will the games media ever grow a backbone and really slam these companies to help get some of this anti gamer bs fixed? Probably not as they havnt in the past unless the ass raping is so bad they know they will get 'clicks' a la Battlefront 2. Cyberpunk, and a couple other disasters that were too big for them to ignore.
I doubt it will ever change, it can only be worst. Companies won't change until a law is created (with all the downside coming with), that's a fact (see gambling), "Always connected" and modern society where everything is "too fast" does not help at all to this trend.
I miss the time of "unpatchable game", at least they known they had only one shot and must NOT be missed...

Kokoloko85

I already have the classic trilogy.
I didnt buy this new definitive version.

Hopefully they will fix:
Fps/ performance
Bugs
Effects
And maybe even the art style and facesof some of the character

Ill then buy it when its on sale :p

Top Bottom