• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Nintendo Direct featuring Wind Waker and Twilight Princess announcements for Switch is reportedly coming in September.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Mmh… not interested as exploring greed here as increases in price of some other console ;)?

I still have my Wii U (for my Wii and Wii U games), but I admit that having Twilight Princess at HD resolutions and a tidied up version of Wind Waker HD would be nice, especially because I do believe that this time Nintendo will have to commit to the digital library they are building for Switch far in the future… I think even they are getting that gamers expect backwards compatibility far in the past.

The only problem will be games played best with motion controls if Nintendo were to change or radically change them, but we shall see.

It's all about price for me. If I can pick up two zelda games for the price of one ps5 game then I might except it but I still wouldn't be there day one. I've still not picked up skyward sword and I completed wind waker on wii u so I'm in no rush.

I just want breath of the wild 2 as it will probs be game of the gen. Wild hair link is so hot!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's all about price for me.
Yeah, you are not defending it :). Still, you are looking over it while not sure you were giving the same benefit of doubt /willingness to overlook things to Sony for whatever they do. C’mon ;)

If I can pick up two zelda games for the price of one ps5 game then I might except it but I still wouldn't be there day one. I've still not picked up skyward sword and I completed wind waker on wii u so I'm in no rush.
Even as a combined $70 pack they would be slightly enhanced ROM’s (one of them likely being a resolution bumped update of a remastered re-release of a GCN game) while you seem to have big problems with TLoU Part I (the remake).

I just want breath of the wild 2 as it will probs be game of the gen. Wild hair link is so hot!
I hope they dealt it to launch it on Switch 2 too so we can have something even richer and filled with life than BotW 1. Still, I remember throwing a tantrum for their “botched” HD update of Wind Waker (or not being pleased at the original art style change) to be mostly completely made to feel like an utter identical fool once I started playing it. Sometimes, when making games, Nintendo does know best :).

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yeah, you are not defending it :). Still, you are looking over it while not sure you were giving the same benefit of doubt /willingness to overlook things to Sony for whatever they do. C’mon ;)

Even as a combined $70 pack they would be slightly enhanced ROM’s (one of them likely being a resolution bumped update of a remastered re-release of a GCN game) while you seem to have big problems with TLoU Part I (the remake).

I hope they dealt it to launch it on Switch 2 too so we can have something even richer and filled with life than BotW 1. Still, I remember throwing a tantrum for their “botched” HD update of Wind Waker (or not being pleased at the original art style change) to be mostly completely made to feel like an utter identical fool once I started playing it. Sometimes, when making games, Nintendo does know best :).

Just to add, in case you didnt read it I wouldn't be buying these if they get announced. I played wind waker on wii u and it was updated and amazing but I don't need it on switch right now and not interested in twilight Princess. So yes, it's the same as last of us for me. Great games that I don't need and I don't think are worth the full asking price.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Just to add, in case you didnt read it I wouldn't be buying these if they get announced. I played wind waker on wii u and it was updated and amazing but I don't need it on switch right now and not interested in twilight Princess. So yes, it's the same as last of us for me. Great games that I don't need and I don't think are worth the full asking price.
I will likely get these two to ensure I have them in a digital library for the future and to play them on the go too, but yeah money could be better spent.

Tams

Gold Member
Twilight Princess was already ported to the Tegra chipset by Nvidia Lightspeed. They also did the Super Mario Galaxy, Portal, and Half Life 2 ports for the Shield devices.

The work on Twilight is already done. Like with the Portal games on Switch you'll see Nvidia credited in the opening loading screens.

Wind Waker will likely use the same backend Wii emulator. Ports should be solid enough.

I hope they don't use the Shield version. I prefer the WiiU version, even with the excessive bloom - actual work was put into making it better.

Laieon

Wind Waker is my all time favorite game. I've been wanting it ported to Switch for years now.

...I also literally just got done replaying it on SteamDeck over the weekend, after saying screw it I'll just emulate it because I'm tired of being let down by endless rumors of it being ported to Switch only for Directs to let me down. So, you're welcome I guess.

fart town usa

Gold Member
If it does get released, I'm really curious what people will say about TP once they've had a chance to revisit it.

TP is awesome, I think it's absolutely insane the amount of flak it gets. My only issue with the game is that it's too easy. The combat, dungeons, music, story...it's all top notch. The game is awesome.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Yeaahh. I already got the WiiU versions. It they actually released both games for $40, maybe.

They will totally not do that.

I would be great if they added an extra dungeon to Wind Waker.

Krathoon

It is good they are bringing them to the Switch. The WiiU takes up too much space.
The thing is clunky compared to the Switch.

Krathoon

I totally have nowhere to put my WiiU. I guess I could try wedging it behind the tv. I already got the PS5 back there.
I totally don't get how the controllers work. I guess the signal passes through the matter that makes up the TV.
Signals are kinda creepy if you think about them.

Mistake

WiiU is the only Nintendo console I skipped. I still have these for GCN/Wii, so I probably won’t buy them, but I can see decent sales from people who haven’t played them before

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Will maybe replay TP. Remember it being great aside from the intro and Wolf segments.

Will also buy physical, play it and sell it because fuck paying £50 for a 16 year old video game.

Krathoon

They did that goofy thing with TP were they flipped the game around. Dumb. The map originally aligned with the OoT map and flipping it messed that up.

Closer

I played the game at release, and since then I’ve read a lot about it. I could understand the hype at release, especially from kids playing their first Zelda. I can’t understand how 20 years later, the game is still so loved, as it’s had a long time to prove itself the less enjoyable of the bunch.

Figures. It's my favorite Zelda and my first Zelda was Zelda II on my cousin's NES. Bought Links Awakening and Link to the Past when I got a Green/Yellow Gameboy and a SNES. Been playing Zelda since then.

Last edited:
Is the Woolly World port rumored? It's probably my most wanted Wii U port, besides Xenoblade X.
Yeah I’d love a port of X, I think given how big the Xenoblade fan base is now because of Switch, that game would be so popular if it came out on Switch. To this day I don’t think anything out there comes close to it in terms of scale or depth, as far as open-world RPGs go. It could use some fine-tuning and graphical enhancements, but man a XCX Definitive Edition would be something pretty amazing, I think.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I've played/own both on emu and wii u. On emu you have 4k textures, 4k resolution, 60fps and more... I am not sure they can announce anything aside from sequels that would get me excited.
This is kind of offtopic, but.. I'd like to see a proper anime done based on Zelda II. But, hey.. that's just me.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Link's Awakening is granted a remake but look at the numbers that game pulls.
Link's awakening got a remake, i know for a FACT that the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess switch versions will literally just be the Wii U versions which are just remasters

Both are great games... the originals on the GC are still the the superior versions though.
Might buy them for my sister though, depending on the price, since she never played either.
I feel that's somewhat true with Wind Waker but not as much with Twilight Princess.

I really liked Wind Waker HD though, specially the bottle system and miiverse integration, but at the same time, I think the graphical style, albeit quite beautiful is not as close to a cartoon as the original, because they introduced SSAO shading features and introduced bloom.
They did that goofy thing with TP were they flipped the game around. Dumb. The map originally aligned with the OoT map and flipping it messed that up.
They did that to maximize Gamecube and Wii sales of the game and at the same time, fix Link being left handed not coinciding for most gamers.

Last edited:
I wonder what Nintendo is going to do with backwards compatibility with Switch 2.

Porting/remaking old games is a big part of their business.

Woopah

There's always an opening in their schedule. I can't think of many Nintendo hardware, successful or not, where we haven't had at least a 4-6 month drought in literally every year of its life.

(drought being defined as lack of high B tier or A tier games).

The first year is always The drought. So as I said I would have liked to have seen this in launch year not now. But I'll take what I can get.
Switch has definitely not had a 6 month drought every year of its life. Not even if you only count first party games.
I wonder what Nintendo is going to do with backwards compatibility with Switch 2.

Porting/remaking old games is a big part of their business.
Now that they have a solid digital account system to move forward with. They can sell old games without needing to port them.

Ports/remakes are only a small portion of their overall sales, and I'm sure they'll continue using remakes to bring back old franchises like 2D Metroid and Advance Wars.

Ezquimacore

Banned
I've played/own both on emu and wii u. On emu you have 4k textures, 4k resolution, 60fps and more... I am not sure they can announce anything aside from sequels that would get me excited.
This is kind of offtopic, but.. I'd like to see a proper anime done based on Zelda II. But, hey.. that's just me.
There's not a 60 fps mod for those games on cemu or dolphin, but you can play it at 10k if you have the hardware.

BlackTron

Link's awakening got a remake, i know for a FACT that the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess switch versions will literally just be the Wii U versions which are just remasters

I know. The point is the numbers that the game pulls.

Link's Awakening needed a remake to reach parity with Wind Waker graphics. Wind Waker...doesn't.

It will be interesting to see what is shown and what is "dated". I don't expect them to be the same for everything.

Those Metal Gear rumors are interesting. Reminds me of that old Dennis Dyack quote from 2018 or 2019. Someone asked him if he thought we would see Twin Snakes again this generation and he responded "yes".

As for everything else...we have seen rumors for many of N64/ps2/gamecube/xbox era games getting alleged remasters/remakes.

F-zero, Timesplitters, Wind Waker, Path of Radiance, Metroid Prime 1, SSX Tricky, NFL Blitz, WWF No Mercy, Maximo, Sands of Time, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, Rogue Squadron, Soul Caliber 2, Simpsons Hit and Run, Baten Chaos, TTYD, Luigi Mansion 1. ... The list goes on.

Give us our PS2 era NBA Street 2, Madden 05 and NHL 06 style games please!

You want a real "HOT TAKE". I do not believe Sakurai returns to Smash Bros. I believe instead of reboot Smash on Switch 2, they enlist Namco to help add only a "few" new characters and 4k(Ultra HD) Remake...Smash Bros Melee "Ultra".

Last edited:
Can't make fun of me for being a simp if I preemptively make self-depreciating jokes about being a simp.

Think Tap Tap GIF by DraftKings

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This has to win some kind of award for "most clueless post of the year" even forgetting that Kirby 3d is a full scope title and not some 2d indie.

It's 3D, but it's obviously no BotW or Mario Odyssey in terms of investment. But I'm sure it's good!

Already own both WiiU remasters, so unless this comes in a bundle, (which of course it won’t) I don’t see the point since these ports would lose the feature of on-the-fly item swapping/map anyways. And I’m a GameCube kid so these games are actually my favorite in the series, but I’m not paying $60 a pop for these.

As for everything else...we have seen rumors for many of N64/ps2/gamecube/xbox era games getting alleged remasters/remakes.

F-zero, Timesplitters, Wind Waker, Path of Radiance, Metroid Prime 1, SSX Tricky, NFL Blitz, WWF No Mercy, Maximo, Sands of Time, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, Rogue Squadron, Soul Caliber 2, Simpsons Hit and Run, Baten Chaos, TTYD, Luigi Mansion 1. ... The list goes on.
Luigi's Mansion got one on the 3DS.

Baten Kaitos Origins would be awesome as well as new games in that series.
Already own both WiiU remasters, so unless this comes in a bundle, (which of course it won’t) I don’t see the point since these ports would lose the feature of on-the-fly item swapping/map anyways. And I’m a GameCube kid so these games are actually my favorite in the series, but I’m not paying $60 a pop for these.
Better than a remaster would be the resurection of Miiverse integration for me

WWHD now feels incomplete, they should have kept it read-only at least.

Last edited:

Mozza

So another month and another Nintendo direct rumor, guess they must get it right at some point. ;)

Mozza

I think if this is true, Nintendo will be thinking of the majority of Switch owners that do not own either of these games, yes they came out on the Wii U...... but only sold 3.3 million copies between them, so massive opportunity for Nintendo here.

Dampf

I hope they don't use the Shield version. I prefer the WiiU version, even with the excessive bloom - actual work was put into making it better.
Actual work? Only the textures were new and some models were sliiiiightly touched up. And even the textures look ugly as they lack basic depth information, they have no bump mapping whatsoever, seriously, AI might do just as good automatically. TP HD might be one of the laziest "remasters" they have done up till Skyward Sword. That was even worse.

The game still lacks modern rendering feature like SSAO, PBR materials, Global Illumination, SSR, you name it. That's the reason why it still looks ugly today, not the art stlye. The Zelda 2011 Demo still looks beautiful.

WW HD even got some of that modern rendering tech. But the game which needed it the most didn't, for some reason.

Part in me hopes they remake TP with Zelda 2011 demo graphics, but of course that won't happen, it's Nintendo after all.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
Actual work? Only the textures were new and some models were sliiiiightly touched up. And even the textures look ugly as they lack basic depth information, they have no bump mapping whatsoever, seriously, AI might do just as good automatically. TP HD might be one of the laziest "remasters" they have done up till Skyward Sword. That was even worse.

The game still lacks modern rendering feature like SSAO, PBR materials, Global Illumination, SSR, you name it. That's the reason why it still looks ugly today, not the art stlye. The Zelda 2011 Demo still looks beautiful.

WW HD even got some of that modern rendering tech. But the game which needed it the most didn't, for some reason.

Part in me hopes they remake TP with Zelda 2011 demo graphics, but of course that won't happen, it's Nintendo after all.
My point that it's still more work than setting some AI to it is still right and stands.

Top Bottom