• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Nintendo Direct featuring Wind Waker and Twilight Princess announcements for Switch is reportedly coming in September.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So they're not gonna release any more actual new games for the Switch right? It's just cheap remasters from here on out until the Switch 2 launches next year?

Closer

I need to know what fans see in The Wind Waker.

Do you really? Those games are old and loved/hated for quite some time. There's a lot already to read everywhere. You can quench your thirst quite easily.

Wind Waker is loved by me because the world is really memorable and the quest just fun. Graphics and music helps a lot, combat is just standard Zelda. It was the third 3D Zelda released, so it was a refinement of the first two.

Last edited:

Deerock71

One good game. One bad game.

mm8VqUY.gif
shut up GIF

RoadHazard

Gold Member
We literally just got 3 great new game from Nintendo themselves. 🤦‍♂️

What were those? I guess I haven't been following Switch releases that closely lately, partly because I don't have my Switch anymore. My nephew borrowed it and now considers it his property.

(But what I have been following DOES feel like it's winding down, and that they're saving the big stuff for the next console.)

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
Wasn't skyward sword HD released last year? The company who made that remaster also did twilight princess HD for wii u. It will take them more time than 1 year to port those 2 games over to the switch.

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF
Assumes same folk are handling all ports.

Marvel14

Banned
Well I don't know why I came into this thread
I've got the feeling that videogames ain't right
I'm so scared in case they are 60$ each
And I'm wondering when I'll get a new videogame

Remasters to the left of me
Remakes to the right
Here I am stuck in the middle playing old games
Stuck in the middle w'me youth?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
What were those? I guess I haven't been following Switch releases that closely lately, partly because I don't have my Switch anymore. My nephew borrowed it and now considers it his property.

(But what I have been following DOES feel like it's winding down, and that they're saving the big stuff for the next console.)
Kirby and the forgotten land
Xenoblade 3
Fire emblem warriors 3 hopes
Kirby dream buffet ( forgot this was just released )

Kataploom

Gold Member
Pretty low budget stuff, except maybe Xenoblade (but it's not on the level of a new Mario, Zelda or Metroid).
Nintendo budgets are not overblown like a handful of so called AAA devs, yet they're much more solid than most, but if they're not for you anymore, then they're not, that's ok.

I'm just waiting for the Metroid Prime remake/remaster with proper twin stick out motion control setup.

Woopah

Nintendo's publishing line-up for 2022 so far is:

January - Pokémon Legends: Arceus
March - Kirby & The Forgotten Land + Triangle Strategy
April - Switch Sports
June - Mario Strikers Charged Football + Fire Emblem: Three Hopes
July - Xenoblade 3 + Live A Live
September - Splatoon 3
October - Bayonetta 3
November - Pokémon Scarlett / Violet

So 10 new games and 1 remake so far.

why wouldn't they?
tt4WaYz.png
NN7VNDJ.png
Because they claimed that merging 3DS and Wii U development pipelines would mean more resources to make new games... fast.

Quite a few of the better must have games on the Switch lineup are Wii U ports. And in this case, ports of ports; so it's basically just getting old.

They could at least port Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Robb

Gold Member
If they pack WW/TP together I might go for it, won’t be buying them separately.

Hoping for BotW2 news if this is going to be Zelda focused.

jigglet

Banned
This should be first year filler material, not the fruits of 4-5 years worth of product and hardware maturity.

Anyway, my dumb ass will buy them anyway. Maybe not WW as two play throughs are enough for that game, but I'm up for a third TP playthrough.

The real question is: where the fuck is Majora's Mask. I hated playing it on that shitty little screen.

This should be first year filler material, not the fruits of 4-5 years worth of product and hardware maturity.

Anyway, my dumb ass will buy them anyway. Maybe not WW as two play throughs are enough for that game, but I'm up for a third TP playthrough.

The real question is: where the fuck is Majora's Mask. I hated playing it on that shitty little screen.
They save stuff like this for Dec / Jan winter and holiday shopping on purpose. Nintendo just sits on games until there's an opening in their schedule.

jigglet

Banned
They save stuff like this for Dec / Jan winter and holiday shopping on purpose. Nintendo just sits on games until there's an opening in their schedule.

There's always an opening in their schedule. I can't think of many Nintendo hardware, successful or not, where we haven't had at least a 4-6 month drought in literally every year of its life.

(drought being defined as lack of high B tier or A tier games).

The first year is always The drought. So as I said I would have liked to have seen this in launch year not now. But I'll take what I can get.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
Because they claimed that merging 3DS and Wii U development pipelines would mean more resources to make new games... fast.

Quite a few of the better must have games on the Switch lineup are Wii U ports. And in this case, ports of ports; so it's basically just getting old.

They could at least port Xenoblade Chronicles X.
what are you even talking about, they just released xenoblade chronicles 3, in two weeks splatoon 3, october bayonetta 3... you're obviously clueless about how many new games vs wii u ports the switch have.

Is the Woolly World port rumored? It's probably my most wanted Wii U port, besides Xenoblade X.
Not that I’m aware of. But Crafted World was over 3 years ago, and it’s an easy port to do to fill out the lineup before Zelda! Love that game, so good. 1000x better than Crafted World in my opinion.

what are you even talking about, they just released xenoblade chronicles 3, in two weeks splatoon 3, october bayonetta 3... you're obviously clueless about how many new games vs wii u ports the switch have.
I realize all that.

Xenoblade 3 is the shit but for the most part I've felt Nintendo was on a roll with the wii u and really wasn't with the switch. Hence most of the switch games I'd want to play being ports from the wii u that I already played on the wii u often being re-released as new.

But that's obviously subjective and I do get your point.

Ezquimacore

Banned
I realize all that.

Xenoblade 3 is the shit but for the most part I've felt Nintendo was on a roll with the wii u and really wasn't with the switch. Hence most of the switch games I'd want to play being ports from the wii u that I already played on the wii u often being re-released as new.

regardless, I don't even understand why people complain about ports if they're also releasing new stuff all the time. I definitely don't want to plug the wii u if their current console have all those games and even more.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I realize all that.

Then that's on you, Switch have way more than Wii U ports, those are just spare content they put here and there to fill gaps, not their primary stuff.

Switch is very good on content balance since it has a shitton of new and old games coming all the time, I'm probably a little biased here since I LOVE them porting very old stuff since I didn't play those back at the time and $60 doesn't hurt me because, well, it's a business... People tend to forget that just a minority of players have already played most of the popular old stuff coming to Switch

There's always an opening in their schedule. I can't think of many Nintendo hardware, successful or not, where we haven't had at least a 4-6 month drought in literally every year of its life.

(drought being defined as lack of high B tier or A tier games).

The first year is always The drought. So as I said I would have liked to have seen this in launch year not now. But I'll take what I can get.
They want Mario and Zelda near Christmas, period. They are masters of preserving IP prestige. Its all calculated.

Guarantee it's gonna cost $60 each ...maybe maybe they sell a bundle for $100 for both games.

After Skyward Sword selling well and im sure they're taking note of Last of Us Remake at $70 (which I'm sure will sell well), Nintendo has no reason to make the price reasonable.

Then that's on you, Switch have way more than Wii U ports, those are just spare content they put here and there to fill gaps, not their primary stuff.

Switch is very good on content balance since it has a shitton of new and old games coming all the time, I'm probably a little biased here since I LOVE them porting very old stuff since I didn't play those back at the time and $60 doesn't hurt me because, well, it's a business... People tend to forget that just a minority of players have already played most of the popular old stuff coming to Switch
Yeah, I don't disagree it's me. It's me.

I'm not even against porting, I'm just surprised that they're still porting things from the Wii U.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Nintendo just making switch have the greatest library available....but will sure as shit make you pay for it lol.

I'm interested to see!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Nintendo just making switch have the greatest library available....but will sure as shit make you pay for it lol.

I'm interested to see!
Mmh… not interested as exploring greed here as increases in price of some other console ;)?

I still have my Wii U (for my Wii and Wii U games), but I admit that having Twilight Princess at HD resolutions and a tidied up version of Wind Waker HD would be nice, especially because I do believe that this time Nintendo will have to commit to the digital library they are building for Switch far in the future… I think even they are getting that gamers expect backwards compatibility far in the past.

The only problem will be games played best with motion controls if Nintendo were to drop or radically change them, but we shall see.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Do you really? Those games are old and loved/hated for quite some time. There's a lot already to read everywhere. You can quench your thirst quite easily.

Wind Waker is loved by me because the world is really memorable and the quest just fun. Graphics and music helps a lot, combat is just standard Zelda. It was the third 3D Zelda released, so it was a refinement of the first two.
It was a clear step back from the first two. Graphics and framerate apart, there is exactly nothing in TWW that comes close to the incredible N64 duo. Anyone could see it at release, and since then, TWW has been bested by just any other 3D Zelda that’s come out, on practically all fronts. It was the weakest then, it’s definitely the weakest now.

I played the game at release, and since then I’ve read a lot about it. I could understand the hype at release, especially from kids playing their first Zelda. I can’t understand how 20 years later, the game is still so loved, as it’s had a long time to prove itself the less enjoyable of the bunch. The N64 games were amazingly condensed games, delivering a masterclass in level design with so little space. TWW is a bloated, unfocused mess. The irony is, what makes it so is precisely the two elements it’s based on, ie the sea and the Wind Waker itself. Which means, the game’s very premise is flawed and the end result is shamefully subpar for Nintendo.

coffinbirth

It was a clear step back from the first two. Graphics and framerate apart, there is exactly nothing in TWW that comes close to the incredible N64 duo. Anyone could see it at release, and since then, TWW has been bested by just any other 3D Zelda that’s come out, on practically all fronts. It was the weakest then, it’s definitely the weakest now.

I played the game at release, and since then I’ve read a lot about it. I could understand the hype at release, especially from kids playing their first Zelda. I can’t understand how 20 years later, the game is still so loved, as it’s had a long time to prove itself the less enjoyable of the bunch. The N64 games were amazingly condensed games, delivering a masterclass in level design with so little space. TWW is a bloated, unfocused mess. The irony is, what makes it so is precisely the two elements it’s based on, ie the sea and the Wind Waker itself. Which means, the game’s very premise is flawed and the end result is shamefully subpar for Nintendo.
Funnily enough, I felt this way about MM after OOT. Shit was annoying.

Top Bottom