• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A new Pocky & Rocky game is coming to Nintendo Switch

Bullet Club

We're Getting A New Pocky & Rocky Game On Nintendo Switch

"While you may think it’s a remake, it’s a completely new title"

j4ZYzdy.jpg

Taito and Natsume Atari have just announced that a new entry in the KiKi KaiKai series (known as Pocky & Rocky in the west) is coming to Switch.

According to Weekly Famitsu, KiKi KaiKai: Kuro Mantle no Nazo (that's a tentative title) is being developed by Tengo Project, a team within Natsume Atari which is formed of staff who worked on the 1992 SNES title KiKi KaiKai: Nazo no Kuro Mantle, including Toshiyasu Miyabe.

Miyabe had this to say about the announcement:
We started work on a sequel with the thought that if we didn’t respond to requests for a remake now, we wouldn’t have the chance in the future considering the staff’s age. While you may think it’s a remake, it’s a completely new title. It’s loaded with new elements.
The KiKi KaiKai series began life in arcades in 1986. The aforementioned SNES title gave the franchise global fame and would inspire a 16-bit sequel called KiKi KaiKai: Tsukiyo Soushi (Pocky & Rocky 2 in the west) as well as a Game Boy Advance entry called KiKi KaiKai Advance (Pocky & Rocky with Becky).

Tengo Project also worked on The Ninja Saviors: Return of the Warriors and Wild Guns Reloaded, both of which updated existing series for a new generation, to great success.

Source: Nintendo Life

00_Zer0

One of my favorite games of all times. The first game is perfect with excellent shmup gameplay and excellent unforgettable music. I'm so glad some of the original staff is working on this. Ninja Saviors and Wild Guns turned out so good that I have no doubt this game will turn out excellent too.

Last edited:

Holammer

Great series. I wanna see what they did to modernize the graphics.

Me too, but Sayo-chan is in good hands.
Wild Guns and Ninja Warriors Once Again had *tons* of changes, new redrawn backgrounds and sprites. Most of the time it's real subtle because they don't splurge colors everywhere, they kept a limited palette and dithering, resulting in some of the finest authentic looking pixel art around.

BossOrg.png

BossReloaded.png

tp_pattern1.gif
tp_pattern2.gif

https://www.natsumeatari.co.jp/tnwoa/topic.html

http://www.natsumeatari.co.jp/wild-guns-reloaded/topic.html

I remember playing these games was a bit of a challenge despite the easy controls. Loved the audio effects. When you realize the fan eats incoming projectiles...

giphy.gif

Holammer

Once they release this, could we have the ʄօʀɮɨɖɖɛռ remake of Harvest Moon?
Stardew Valley sold well over 10M copies, just sayin'.

ThUjIqU.png

40jRxSc.png

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
We're Getting A New Pocky & Rocky Game On Nintendo Switch

"While you may think it’s a remake, it’s a completely new title"

j4ZYzdy.jpg

Taito and Natsume Atari have just announced that a new entry in the KiKi KaiKai series (known as Pocky & Rocky in the west) is coming to Switch.

According to Weekly Famitsu, KiKi KaiKai: Kuro Mantle no Nazo (that's a tentative title) is being developed by Tengo Project, a team within Natsume Atari which is formed of staff who worked on the 1992 SNES title KiKi KaiKai: Nazo no Kuro Mantle, including Toshiyasu Miyabe.

Miyabe had this to say about the announcement:

The KiKi KaiKai series began life in arcades in 1986. The aforementioned SNES title gave the franchise global fame and would inspire a 16-bit sequel called KiKi KaiKai: Tsukiyo Soushi (Pocky & Rocky 2 in the west) as well as a Game Boy Advance entry called KiKi KaiKai Advance (Pocky & Rocky with Becky).

Tengo Project also worked on The Ninja Saviors: Return of the Warriors and Wild Guns Reloaded, both of which updated existing series for a new generation, to great success.

Source: Nintendo Life
Oh my God!!!

I love pocky rocky from SNES!!! The games that i really want have it.

Definitive will check it

Top Bottom