• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A new PlayStation 5 exclusive FINAL FANTASY game will be announced in June

Zok310

Banned
I wouldnt be surprised if all these exclusivity deals werent testing the waters for something like this. The thing is, its just a massive commitment for sony because sqaure has like 5000 staff.
Sony don’t need all 5000 of them, they really just need the ip se owns.

kyoji

Sony definitely CAN afford, the question is do they WANT to.
Exactly, another thing people don't understand or just plain don't have enough working experience in life to comprehend is when you have partnerships in place with people or company's and they already fulfill certain roles or needs then you don't need to necessarily over extend by buying a company up from fear that someone else might or some other non essential reason. History has shown time and time again that Sony has excellent 3rd party support (such as SE that provide content in various ways benefiting both parties) its essentially why it hasn't happened already (a buy out, and also probably because SE is not looking to be purchased) because there isn't a need for it, 3rd party's are already providing exclusive content without the need of making much larger investments or commitments.

Another thing i notice alot on here is people wanting a JRPG specific dev inside SIE. I mean i get it but WHY? Sony has partners that already fill that need without having to build a specific studio inhouse for that (level 5, square, countless others etc.) Jeff (i believe his name is) who worked on days gone and was on Jaffes youtube stream a few weeks ago also said something that i thought was very interesting. IF theres a team in world wide studios that wanted to make a JRPG then you better believe thats what they would make, granted it goes through the normal pitch process and approval, so theres really no need for specific genre based studios. Guerilla is the perfect example of going from something like killzone to horizon..

Myths

Final Fantasy Type Zero 2
I think it would be just “TYPE-1”. Also, if the graphics are anything like their “HD” version for the PS4 then I could see this as a quick money grab. Probably with a slightly upgraded target render so it won’t look as jarring.

kyoji

Guys How's the stock situation for ps5 this month
Is it better then last month?
Sorry for been ot
sony direct website had stock yesterday, not sure if they will release more today but your best bet is to follow a ps5 stock alert account on twitter. Its very useful.

NickFire

Guys How's the stock situation for ps5 this month
Is it better then last month?
Sorry for been ot
I heard a rumor that a few of the big US retailers were getting drops this week. I didn't pay close attention because I lucked out last month. Check some of the drop rumor twitter accounts with lots of follows. If you don't see anything about a recent BB, Target, Amazon drop this week it could be worthwhile keeping you eyes open late tonight and into the early morning hours tomorrow. If memory serves, the most likely time slots are 12 AM EST, and then 12 AM PST. Late yes, but mine came from a 12 AM (ish) PST Amazon drop on a weekend. For Target in particular, I believe they've done some early AM stuff as well near store opening times before.

Last edited:

yazenov

At this point, all that's left is for Sony to put a ring on Square Enix's finger.

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
As a deluxe edition owner, I wish I hadn't bought it and just watched all the cutscenes on youtube.
By the end of everything, I believe a lot of the people that didn't like the first game will do a 180º on it.
People were in love with EVERYTHING in the release thread until the end.
I was blown away by it and it made me even more excited about what's next.

Kimahri

Banned
Yes, console exclusive is what I meant obviously. Lara was an integral part of early PSX marketing and branding.
The first game was on Sega Saturn. Later games were on Dreamcast, and then Xbox. It's always been a multiplatform series. So ya, don't agree with your assessment 🙂

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Maybe they're finally and properly reviving Dissidia as a full scale rpg?

GuinGuin

Banned
The first game was on Sega Saturn. Later games were on Dreamcast, and then Xbox. It's always been a multiplatform series. So ya, don't agree with your assessment 🙂

Tomb Raider 2 and 3 were console exclusive to PSX and let's be honest no one owned a Saturn.

Dynomite

Nathan Drake is permanently retired. Cassie Drake will star in the next Uncharted.
I am thinking the next uncharted will have Cassie Drake in a revenge story against an old enemy of Nathan who brutally murders him in front of her, but it turns out that person is a grounded sympathetic character who we will have divided discussions about. 2023 GOTY!

GuinGuin

Banned
I am thinking the next uncharted will have Cassie Drake in a revenge story against an old enemy of Nathan who brutally murders him in front of her, but it turns out that person is a grounded sympathetic character who we will have divided discussions about. 2023 GOTY!

Bad post. TLOU2 could have taken the easy route and given people something they had already seen before and made all the people with a crush on Daddy Joel happy. Instead they told an original story solidly grounded in the world and it's lore where actions don't go without consequences. Naughty Dog is too brilliant to reuse the same plot line. Besides I think Uncharted will be taken over by a new studio /team while ND create a new IP.

Last edited:

Real-HipHopGamer

Neo Member
Final Fantasy PS5 Exclusive or not the key factor here is where the MIND SHARE exists the most.

For EX: if Halo came to PlayStation it will always be a XBOX Title if you understand what i mean.

So mind share is very important and a exclusive Final Fantasy game doesn't surprise me considering the platform already has the imprint of exclusive awareness with this franchise already

YukiOnna

Don't know if it's true, but I guess it would be handled by Creative Business Unit 1 (FF, FF7 Franchise, KH, TWEWY) since they handle everything internal and external related to FF. It would be good to have more AA titles from Square Enix and maybe it'll be more like NieR since it's supposed to be bigger than World of FF?

This is great news but didn't Playstation announce they won't be at E3?
Square Enix will though.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Whatever this may be, I hope SE has already made their peace with basically not having a japanese audience for it.

Dream-Knife

Banned
By the end of everything, I believe a lot of the people that didn't like the first game will do a 180º on it.
People were in love with EVERYTHING in the release thread until the end.
I was blown away by it and it made me even more excited about what's next.
I enjoyed the story, but I hated the combat and linearity of the game.

I'm just going to watch the cutscenes on future installments.

Rolla

Banned
Don't know if it's true, but I guess it would be handled by Creative Business Unit 1 (FF, FF7 Franchise, KH, TWEWY) since they handle everything internal and external related to FF. It would be good to have more AA titles from Square Enix and maybe it'll be more like NieR since it's supposed to be bigger than World of FF?

Square Enix will though.

I can't see Playstation allowing someone else to announce their AAA exclusive, especially one of such high calibre, independently. They've got that hype format down to the point of it being a "thing" in and of itself. If this rumour is true then in my humble PS will be at E3 in some shape or form.

Why does E3 matter?

You mean our annual gaming Christmas doesn't matter?

YukiOnna

I can't see Playstation allowing someone else to announce their AAA exclusive, especially one of such high calibre, independently. They've got that hype format down to the point of it being a "thing" in and of itself. If this rumour is true then in my humble PS will be at E3 in some shape or form.
I mean, it's not someone else, it's a third party who develops their franchise. Square Enix has announced exclusive games countless times at their own keynotes. Who said it was AAA though? it doesn't sound like that at all.

Astral Dog

Everyone who has championed XBox having exclusive Bethesda titles cannot moan if Final Fantasy goes exclusive to Sony.

I think it’s all great. Exclusives breed competition, which is of benefit to us gamers.
Only if they not been made otherwise... Although im sure Sony has given Square enough money over the years to release their games faster

Astral Dog

FF7R and FF16 are already PS exclusives, FF7-2 is expected to be PS5 exclusive too but who knows it's the one referred here?
I don't think so, that one would be as big as XVI(at least in hype terms, and supposedly a big open world Midgar)has to be something a little smaller

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
lol didn't take long for the fanboys to come

(I don't even have an xbox, the fact that you assumed so says everything I need to know)
I didn’t assume anything, I don’t care what you have. The fact is FF7R is as of right now exclusive to PS, PC version is a big maybe and only next year, and FFXVI is exclusive. So it looks quite probable another FF might be as well.

MAtgS

If it's not high end, then why is it PS5 exclusive at all? Why not PS4, let alone XSX, or dare I say Switch?

Varteras

Gold Member
Exactly, another thing people don't understand or just plain don't have enough working experience in life to comprehend is when you have partnerships in place with people or company's and they already fulfill certain roles or needs then you don't need to necessarily over extend by buying a company up from fear that someone else might or some other non essential reason. History has shown time and time again that Sony has excellent 3rd party support (such as SE that provide content in various ways benefiting both parties) its essentially why it hasn't happened already (a buy out, and also probably because SE is not looking to be purchased) because there isn't a need for it, 3rd party's are already providing exclusive content without the need of making much larger investments or commitments.

Another thing i notice alot on here is people wanting a JRPG specific dev inside SIE. I mean i get it but WHY? Sony has partners that already fill that need without having to build a specific studio inhouse for that (level 5, square, countless others etc.) Jeff (i believe his name is) who worked on days gone and was on Jaffes youtube stream a few weeks ago also said something that i thought was very interesting. IF theres a team in world wide studios that wanted to make a JRPG then you better believe thats what they would make, granted it goes through the normal pitch process and approval, so theres really no need for specific genre based studios. Guerilla is the perfect example of going from something like killzone to horizon..
Yep. It's pretty much like you said. If a developer within Sony wants to make an RPG it's not like they're being actively blocked from it. Aside from Guerrilla, no one else has made a serious pitch it seems. I know the head of Polyphony Digital has now made a few comments over the last few years about wanting to make an RPG instead of just always doing Gran Turismo. Unfortunately he hasn't taken that leap yet. For the most part, Sony already manages to secure RPGs through third parties.

And yeah, Sony doesn't need to buy Square Enix. They can. They absolutely have the capital to make that transaction, contrary to what some want you to believe. But there is little reason to do so unless a situation arises where someone else starts sniffing around to buy them. Also assuming SE even wants to sell. The Japanese side of SE has quite clearly favored Sony. Their games don't even need to be permanently exclusive. The years that some of these games spend not being on a competitor's platform get the job done just fine. As long as Sony can continue to secure deals that boost the image of PlayStation then buying Square Enix outright is a ton of cash they could use more effectively elsewhere.

The better course for Sony to take would be to secure smaller, more vulnerable developers that have proven themselves worth the investment and then build them out the way they've been doing with their current roster. It's been said a lot but I'll say it again myself. Housemarque and Bluepoint are absolutely worth picking up to ensure they stick around for Sony. Arc System Works and Vanillaware as well considering that all four of those studios bring something to the table that Sony's current first party lacks.

Batiman

Banned
I really don't get it what people like about FF. I tried to play FF7 remake, what a boredom.
Ya. The original is my goat and I couldn’t bother with this. I kept trying to get into it but couldn’t. 15 was even worse. Final fantasy has been dead to me since 9 tbh.

If they made something along the lines of 6,7,8 and 9. Like a smaller classic style FF I’d be down

AmuroChan

I've fallen out of love with FF in recent years, but if they ever announce a new FF Tactics game, I'm all in for that.

Top Bottom