• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A new PlayStation 5 exclusive FINAL FANTASY game will be announced in June

cragarmi

T
How could it be, though?
It’s action-rpg
No team, completely alone?

A good game, perhaps. But a return to form, I am unsure what you mean
The main criticism s levelled at 15 was it's story/plot and lack of focus on fantasy, both which appear to have been resolved in 16, if the storyline to 14 online is anything to go by. But no I agree your not getting turn-based rpg with a team of characters, 7r is as close as we are getting to that formula for now.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
My bet:

Sony is already getting the FFVII Remake, so to complete the FFVII storyline they're adding the remake of Crysis Core (a gem of a game tha only those with a PSP could play) and/or perhaps Dirge of Cerberus.

BreakOut

To each their own. I played 15 during lock down and going on a virtual vacation with some virtual friends was a welcome relief.
I really liked 15 actually. I give it shit for a lot of things that could have been done better but honestly I loved it. The open world thing stresses me out until I got to really see how they went about it and I was happy. The world was huge but still had that Mysterious vibe everywhere. Finding hidden bosses and dungeons where I wasn’t expecting was a really cool experience.

Dabaus

Banned
Didnt crazy leaks on a train say theres a final fantasy mosou in production? Sounds like this is it. Id prefer a tactics instead....

GuinGuin

Banned
After seeing ff7r i think that also PlayStation users don't give a damn about it lol

Not sure what that is supposed to mean. FF7R was fantastic. We got to spend a whole lot more time in Midgar which is everything I've ever wanted. Midgar was the best part of the original game and they absolutely nailed all of the extra missions.

hey if microsoft got the money to buy up entire multiplat publishers than im all for sony using their strong partnerships with publishers to get more exclusives to their platform. although im not sure why they going for final fantasy when it already sells most of its copies on playstation anyway. i do like that sony seem to have very strong partnerships with japanese publishers like square and capcom though. gives me a PS1 feeling.

wipeout364

They should release a HD remaster combo of Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus. I would be 100% in for that, both mediocre games but not available anywhere that I know of to play.

fat guy GIF
Ah the beautiful results of a mcdonalds diet.

I'm lovin it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just get everyone to work on FF7 Remake Part 2 so they can get it out in 2-3 years., they have way too many games in development.

this is supposedly a smaller game. like who wants that.

thewire

Just get everyone to work on FF7 Remake Part 2 so they can get it out in 2-3 years., they have way too many games in development.

this is supposedly a smaller game. like who wants that.
They have multiple development teams, seems the big ones are on kingdom hearts sequel, ff16, forespoken & ff7 remake part 2 for the big Japanese devs. Seems a smaller game for the double aa teams that develop switch games for square.

Dabaus

Banned
Not going to lie, a final fantasy x-3 or final fantasy souls like game would be hype. Im resigned to the fact that it will something whacky like a chocobo racing game or a musou game.

assurdum

Banned
If it bored you I don't know what to say other than you probably lack the sense of wonder necessary to appreciate it.
The hell is it "the sense of wonder"? I find the gameplay boring, that's it. Isn't it exactly the most fun game in the universe in terms of gameplay.

Last edited:
Sony just needs to buy them, Most of what they do is dependent on PlayStation anyway.

Would be a bargain instead of paying them every year for exclusives. It would pay itself off in no time.
Square Enix isn't for sale. I don't think Sony could afford to spend $10 billion on Square Enix, If they did, they're a public-traded company where other major company's could outbid them.

GuinGuin

Banned
Sony just needs to buy them, Most of what they do is dependent on PlayStation anyway.

Would be a bargain instead of paying them every year for exclusives. It would pay itself off in no time.

Why spend money to buy them? A merger would be more beneficial for both parties.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
giphy.gif

It's a franchise I just don't really give a shit about anymore, exclusive or not. Felt like it's been nothing but a visual showcase for a long time. Tried playing 13, hated it...Didn't touch the series for years, bought 15...hated it....Given up on the series.

DonF

I just cross my fingers for a good gen from square. They got their ass kicked in the ps3-4 era. But ps1-2 gave us some of the best RPGs.

Please no. I don’t want SE ruled from San Mateo, CA.

FF XVII online perhaps? I’m not in the know but I heard that Endwalker is final expansion of XIV so they could move on to something new. Though that sounds massive, not sure if it could be qualified as smaller than XV.

Metnut

So Square is now developing 4 RPGs (FF16, FF7R2, Forespoken, and this new game) at once. And continuing to support FF14? DQ12 is probably under development too?

Would be awesome if they can pull it off, but I’m skeptical. Seems like an actual situation where a partnership with Sony could help provide them with some extra manpower/resources maybe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom