• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A new Generation is around the corner, so here is the top 10 best selling first party games in this Generation.

TheAssist

No they aren't. They are stocked on the same shelves as PS4/Xbox games. The just outsell them multiple times

Thats not what we are talking about though.
Firstly it doesnt matter that they are on the same shelve. You need the system to buy the acoording game to begin with.
Secondly, you argument only works if you say Call of Duty on the switch outsells Call of Duty on PS4/XBox. Which it does not, because it does not exist.

If you look at the Sony shelf, you see Sony games along with dozens of 3rd party games (way more than there are Sony games) while on the switch shelf its mostly gonna be Nintendo games (because retailers only stock what actually sells). So while maybe 10% or less of the Playstation shelf are Sony games, about 90% of the switch games are Nintendo games.
Again, your arguments only works if we account for ALL software sales, which would be a more fair comparison.

Nintendo build a great machine on which they themselves are the premium dev for. No competition from EA, Activision, 2K, etc.

4lg1j4.jpg

1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe(NSW) - 28.99M - 2017
2. Animal Crossing NH(NSW) - 26.04M - 2020
3. Super Smash Bros Ultimate(NSW) - 21.10M - 2018
4. Pokemon SuMo(3DS) - 25.09M - 2016
5. Breath Of The Wild(NSW) - 19.74M - 2017
6. Pokemon SwSh(NSW) - 19.02 - 2019
7. Super Mario Odyssey(NSW) - 18.99M - 2017
8. Mario Kart 7(3DS) - 18.92M - 2011
9. Pokemon XY(3DS) - 16.49M - 2013
10. Uncharted 4(PS4) - 16M - 2016

mario_kart_8_deluxe_1.png
Troll

kuncol02

Banned
Who cares about first party when games like GTAV sells 130milions of copies, Witcher 3 50milions. Even Fifa is selling around 15milions every year.
What's more obviously Nintendo games will take all the top because they are only reason to buy switch.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Good job Nintendo, but I wonder how their sales stack up compared to when they were providing both static console and handheld product lines.
There's no avoiding the observation that they had literally decades worth of dominance in handhelds, and now that's all incorporated into a single offering.

Obviously, any fair and balanced assessment would need to factor in the overall marketshare and status of dedicated handheld devices as opposed to general purpose platforms like smartphone and tablet, but that's a pretty tough thing to judge.

It seems the best selling first party games are fun games and not 3rd person cinematic experiences like I've been told. Crazy world that fun sells.

Iced Arcade

The Switch isn't for me BUT Nintendo is a monster and deserves every ounce of credit and praise they get.

stop being salty because your preferred toy charting on the same level.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I would be happy if these sales were a direct threat to Sony as they will ignite competition. Unfortunately, they mean nothing other than there is a different segment in tne video games market where someone need to jump in because there's a good money.

Havoc2049

The real best selling game this generation....
105553209-1541442535780screenshotmicrosoftcampusminecraft.jpg

• November 22, 2013: Xbox One launched, thus beginning the new generation for Microsoft
  • October 10, 2014: Mojang announces they have sold approximately 60 million copies of Minecraft
  • November 6, 2014: Microsoft buys Mojang
  • May 2019: Microsoft announced that over 180 million copies of Minecraft have been sold across all platforms
  • May 2020: Microsoft announced that Minecraft had reached over 200 million copies sold across all platforms with over 126 million monthly active players

Nintendo games usually stay near to full price too while if you wait a few months the PS exclusives start to free fall to £10-£15 which makes these numbers all the more nuts.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Oh my GOD! Nintendo are the best! LameBox and Plays-Shit-Station will NEVER WIN!! HAHAHAHAHA!

Shiggy is a LEGEND!

Not unexpected. How many people who buy a Nintendo Switch (or any Nintendo console, for that matter) end up never buying a single first party title? You could probably count them on one hand. On PS4/Xbox, on the other hand, this isn't uncommon at all.

I have a ton of third party games for my Switch, but I lived in HK for two years and was able to buy games from Europe and Asia-only English games. If I had the options here that I had there, I'd be buying a lot less first party Ninty games.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Like I said, I'm genuinely unsure.

Do you personally know lots of people who take their Switches out with them and crowd round them with their friends playing Mario Kart sessions? Personally I don't.

The people I know with a Switch basically just use it as either a handheld or a normal home console.

In which case I'd say the central feature is essentially a gimmick - but time will tell.

And even then, Nintendo has won recently effectively by avoiding competition via new and unique ideas (sometimes later to be found to be gimmicks). It can't do that by consolidating on one of those ideas and releasing iterative versions; it can only do it by repeatedly finding new AND successful unique ideas and thereby confounding its competitors.

You tell me whether you think that's a recipe for long term sustainable success. It basically requires them to be an order of magnitude more creative than their competition on an indefinite basis.

I think you might be missing the use case of the ‘gimmick’. I enjoy playing Switch games on my big TV. That’s great and the games look great. And sometimes I want to chill or the wife wants the TV and I can grab it out of the dock and carry on my game. It’s great to be able to play it in bed or chilling on the sofa. I don’t use it as socially as the ads suggest but that’s partly because I hate people and partly because nobody is being social right now.

For me, the form factor works and makes it easier to squeeze in a few minutes here and a few there. It’s low hassle, doesn’t tend to have huge patches, etc. Plus the first party games are amazing, and games like Streets Of Rage 4 are genuinely made for being played this way. Street Fighter 30th anniversary on the go? Yes please. The portability combined with power is fantastic.

Daymos

hmm.. maybe the game quality and the features of a console are more important than 4k and ray tracing??

thelastword

Banned
There are a lot of services that are massively profitable for Sony that Nintendo does not have. One thing is sure, Nintendo games sell well to the Nintendo crowd. However, most of these games are on handheld like gaming devices unlike really next gen home consoles, I wish Nintendo would offer a console in the vein of GC vs PS2 and XBOX again.....I think then comparisons would make more sense, we know clearly that the Japanese alone makes Nintendo's SFF gaming devices and handhelds immediately profitable, the Japanese prefer handheld devices....

Having said that, lots of the PS first party games have not been updated......I think this is something Nintendo does more often and more frequently, so I think your numbers does not reflect the latest numbers for all games and vendors.

Hunnybun

I think you might be missing the use case of the ‘gimmick’. I enjoy playing Switch games on my big TV. That’s great and the games look great. And sometimes I want to chill or the wife wants the TV and I can grab it out of the dock and carry on my game. It’s great to be able to play it in bed or chilling on the sofa. I don’t use it as socially as the ads suggest but that’s partly because I hate people and partly because nobody is being social right now.

For me, the form factor works and makes it easier to squeeze in a few minutes here and a few there. It’s low hassle, doesn’t tend to have huge patches, etc. Plus the first party games are amazing, and games like Streets Of Rage 4 are genuinely made for being played this way. Street Fighter 30th anniversary on the go? Yes please. The portability combined with power is fantastic.

Yeah, maybe. I suppose I could see the argument more if I used my Switch as my main console like my PS4.

It still just seems to me to be something 'neat' rather than solving some burning problem in the gaming space. I suppose it might be best put that it's more like cool technology in search of a problem to solve rather than an ingenious solution to a pressing issue.

Hence the confusion around my questioning of the fundamental demand. Yes, OBVIOUSLY it's sold truckloads, but that could just as easily be the novelty factor or many other things rather than it being truly useful, indispensable technology.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, maybe. I suppose I could see the argument more if I used my Switch as my main console like my PS4.

It still just seems to me to be something 'neat' rather than solving some burning problem in the gaming space. I suppose it might be best put that it's more like cool technology in search of a problem to solve rather than an ingenious solution to a pressing issue.

Hence the confusion around my questioning of the fundamental demand. Yes, OBVIOUSLY it's sold truckloads, but that could just as easily be the novelty factor or many other things rather than it being truly useful, indispensable technology.

I mean it's really the opposite of a cool bit of tech looking for a problem to solve. I love my gaming PC but it's something that requires time and commitment. I'm getting old, I have a house to do up, I'm doing the work of 4 people due to furlough/redundancies, I'm cash-rich and time-poor. The Switch fits that perfectly. Fires up in an instant, no fucking about. Maybe you don't have those responsibilities yet, who knows, but I've found as I get older I don't have as much time, or rather it's not in as big continuous chunks anymore, so the Switch really suits my needs. It's novel in that it's cool, and yeah I could take it into the office for a dick about at lunch if we ever get back to normal, but the key thing is that it lets me have a tonne of fun when I want it. It's the ultimate in convenience, combined with an absolutely stellar software library.

Just to reiterate, it DOES solve a burning problem. It gives cash-rich time-poor people a great way to hop into some fucking awesome games.

Hunnybun

I mean it's really the opposite of a cool bit of tech looking for a problem to solve. I love my gaming PC but it's something that requires time and commitment. I'm getting old, I have a house to do up, I'm doing the work of 4 people due to furlough/redundancies, I'm cash-rich and time-poor. The Switch fits that perfectly. Fires up in an instant, no fucking about. Maybe you don't have those responsibilities yet, who knows, but I've found as I get older I don't have as much time, or rather it's not in as big continuous chunks anymore, so the Switch really suits my needs. It's novel in that it's cool, and yeah I could take it into the office for a dick about at lunch if we ever get back to normal, but the key thing is that it lets me have a tonne of fun when I want it. It's the ultimate in convenience, combined with an absolutely stellar software library.

Just to reiterate, it DOES solve a burning problem. It gives cash-rich time-poor people a great way to hop into some fucking awesome games.

First, you haven't demonstrated it's a burning problem. It might be to you personally, but I could just say the opposite of me.

Secondly, what you described there in terms of convenience holds for ALL consoles as compared to a PC!!

The aspect you need to prove meets a fundamental untapped demand is the ability to keep playing on the go. Sure, the Switch is even more convenient than other consoles in that respect, but it still doesn't automatically follow that it's that additional convenience that's the crucial marginal benefit for your "cash rich, time poor" consumer.

Maybe it is, maybe not.

mr.dilya

Banned
I don't think it was clear that the Wii was a gimmick until its successor failed spectacularly. Now nobody gives a shit about motion controls: it was clearly a gimmick.

The jury's out on the Switch - it may be a gimmick and it may not. It's certainly got some of the hallmarks of a gimmick. The very fact that it has no competition is basically proof that Sony, Microsoft and others aren't sure about the long term viability of the market. Once they are they'll flood in with their own versions, and Nintendo will be in trouble again.

You mean they will try to emulate Nintendo and fail miserably like they did with Kinect and Ps Move.

And the garbage ass Vita.

Nintendo is damn near synonymous with video games. Way back when I'm sure people were calling video games in general a gimmick but Nintendo is the reason why we are where we are today. I think the reason people hate Nintendo or try to downplay them any chance they get do so because they are insecure about the stigma of video games being "immature" so they try their best to rationalize their own participation in the hobby by making fun of Nintendo's "kiddie" persona and that they are somehow playing big boy games because of ultra realistic violence coupled with advanced visuals. Nintendo understands that video games are "GAMES" first and foremost. The Switch is way past the point of a gimmick. It has revolutionized portable gaming. Be mad.

mr.dilya

Banned

Exactly.

MagnesG

Banned
It's risky though because if their next gimmick fails, like the WiiU, they're completely fucked.
Nintendo could fail 3 times of console generations and they still have enough money to launch the 4th one. They are one of the companies who had some mighty big cash reserve, somewhat a conservative approach.

Last edited:

ToadMan

There’s something wrong with this list - I can’t find where the Tflops mattered?

Love Nintendo - although I passed on AC this time round.

Just wish they’d throw more of a bone to older titles...

Last edited:

Woopah

Nintendo releases a lot more software sales data than the other two so it's tricky to compare. They do have the most popular first party software though, and no it's not because of the lack of third party support.

Hunnybun

You mean they will try to emulate Nintendo and fail miserably like they did with Kinect and Ps Move.

Nintendo is damn near synonymous with video games. Way back when I'm sure people were calling video games in general a gimmick but Nintendo is the reason why we are where we are today. I think the reason people hate Nintendo or try to downplay them any chance they get do so because they are insecure about the stigma of video games being "immature" so they try their best to rationalize their own participation in the hobby by making fun of Nintendo's "kiddie" persona and that they are somehow playing big boy games because of ultra realistic violence coupled with advanced visuals. Nintendo understands that video games are "GAMES" first and foremost. The Switch is way past the point of a gimmick. It has revolutionized portable gaming. Be mad.

Lol actually I love Nintendo and virtually always buy their consoles, Switch included.

If I have a bias I'd have to admit I'm still sore that they've gone down this novelty route since the Gamecube, because it's meant I've been deprived of truly cutting edge Mario, Zelda and other games, essentially since Wind Waker. That's 18 years, and I suppose it pisses me off.

Now, I know there's more to games than the latest tech and graphics, but back in the 90s there was literally nothing more exciting than watching Mario 64 and OOT emerging.

So that's my bias. I'd quite like the Switch to fail because I might finally get the old Nintendo games back.

KingT731

Hey now! No reason to shit on the Vita lol. It was definitely a better handheld in most aspects than its direct competition but didn't get the support it should have. I know Sony didn't do it any favors with the proprietary memory cards. The system was (imo unjustly) negged for the price especially in comparison to it's truly overpriced competitor in the 3DS.

Havoc2049

Would Microsoft releasing games on PC running Windows 10 be considered current gen and first party? If so and you combined sales of Minecraft for Windows 10 and Xbox One, then Minecraft would probably take the top spot. I could easily see that number being 30 million+. Hard to data mine that info though and Microsoft doesn’t release detailed numbers.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
First, you haven't demonstrated it's a burning problem. It might be to you personally, but I could just say the opposite of me.

Secondly, what you described there in terms of convenience holds for ALL consoles as compared to a PC!!

The aspect you need to prove meets a fundamental untapped demand is the ability to keep playing on the go. Sure, the Switch is even more convenient than other consoles in that respect, but it still doesn't automatically follow that it's that additional convenience that's the crucial marginal benefit for your "cash rich, time poor" consumer.

Maybe it is, maybe not.

So it’s only a burning problem if it’s a burning problem to you. Got it.

Top Bottom