• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A new Final Fantasy XVI trailer will be shown this fall | Game Confirmed Not Open World + More Info

Reading through the comments I feel like I’m the only one who enjoyed ff15.
Regardless, the UI seemed kinda busy in the last trailer so it’s weird hearing them say them hid things…
Maybe a mini-map or something. More UI would feel too cluttered.

mortal

Gold Member
Irrelevant to my point. "it’s always been the guiding policy that each new installment has to be the very best game that the director at the time can put together"

And those games were awful.
How is that irrelevant?

You literally stated:
when they made the 13 trilogy and also 15?
They in fact did not make the FFXIII trilogy or FFXV. The teams that made those two aren't even the same teams.

Kev Kev

You can’t handle people not liking XV? Wtf lol
no youre allowed to not like, just the way you deliver youre criticism feels smug, dismissive and just not thorough. is it too much to ask for you to write a few sentences? maybe a paragraph? perhaps compare and contrast? elaborate on some of the positives?

instead its just "like the graphics and combat but everything else is garbage" lol come on man

mortal

Gold Member
They refers to SquareEnix.
Even so, you're still attributing blame to people that had zero bearing on what those games ended up being.
Square Enix is a huge company that is also a publisher. There are multiple big and small teams working on multiple games concurrently.
If we're discussing game design and the results thereof, then it's more reasonable to be specific about the game designers in question.
Otherwise, it's no different than blaming Eidos Montreal for the FF XIII trilogy and FFXV.

G Graciaus Not sure what's funny? I don't think any I said here was unreasonable 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
no youre allowed to not like, just the way you deliver youre criticism feels smug, dismissive and just not thorough. is it too much to ask for you to write a few sentences? maybe a paragraph? perhaps compare and contrast? elaborate on some of the positives?

instead its just "like the graphics and combat but everything else is garbage" lol come on man
😂 dude, you’re taking this way more seriously than you should.

Cool. Not every game needs to be open-world to be ambitious, or good, or be a GOTY contender. It's just a genre and has a whole kitchen of shortcomings like a lot of other genres, potentially more than most.

If it's a tight story-driven linear adventure with some sandbox-style explorable pockets and a great battle system with great characters and cool attacks & designs, it's going to stun a lot of people in a good way.

Last edited:

Fbh

Glad for the people who are excited about this, but none of this sounds at all appealing. Say what you will about FFXV (and there's a lot to say, but given the troubled history of that game that it turned out as inoffensive as it did is something of a miracle), but it still gave me FF vibes. Maybe this one will as well, and I guess it is the naturally progression AWAY from party-based gameplay that they've been on, but it is still not what you wanted to hear.

. . .if the combat is just THAT good and if the world they are designing is one full of mysteries and side-content, then sure. Just not getting that vibe and seeing this less as a world to explore and enjoy and more of just another in a long line of "FF experiments. . ."

At minimum, we don't have the absurd clash in aesthetics that FF:SOP and FF:XV have (cars and gas stations exist, but the fucking royalty look like they are out of a bad HEAVY METAL story).

To be fair, while XIII and XV might have had parties, they still mainly focused around controlling one character. In XIII you only have direct control over one character at a time, and you assign roles to the other AI controlled party members. And XV at launch was also an action based combat system with a single playable character (it wasn't until a year after launch that they made the others playable).
FF7 Remake was the first game in the franchise since like X where I felt like I was playing as the entire party and not just one character with AI companions.

Also this is just personal but the more medieval setting is giving me more FF vibes than the boy band roadtrip style of XV.

Last edited:

Dynasty8

It is pretty common for many media creators like in games, movies, books.

Probably, but it doesn't surprise me since Square has been at the bottom when it comes to various things in games such as bad level design and side quests. It feels stuck in the PS2 era.

Really hinders the overall experience IMO. Hopefully they are drawing inspiration from games like Elden Ring for level design and Witcher 3 for side quests.

DarthPutin

It all sounds great to me, what's not to love? Mature game with grown up themes, beautiful visuals, open enough for exploration and learning about the world but still story-driven, with fast bombastic action. Hopefully they'll pull most of this off.

Oh, and if it doesn't sound FF-ish enough for you, pretend it's called something else, boom, problem solved!

Last edited:

SilentUser

So excited to play this and not making an open world title is actually a welcoming decision. Hopefully they will be able to deliver a mature title with compelling characters and story.

Batiman

Banned
This game looked like it would of benefited from open world. Doesn’t mean it needed to be massive. Just big enough to escape it from being to linear like the last few besides 15

Game looks fan fucking tastic. So many websites have more info. I think the Famitsu one said you will play as other characters briefly in story bits.

Development started in 2015 and the game will let you respec at any time and it’s sounding like you will have a wolf companion at your side potentially? Also Dominants turning inti Eikons may come with a cost.

All in all, Im just as hype from the reveal up till now. Can’t wait, they are putting their all into this. XV was a major disappointment but they seem to have learn from their mistakes (if FFVII Remake wasn’t enough to show us)

Edit: CG Cutscenes confirmed!!!
CG cutscenes are confirmed?? Where?? If this is accurate, thank the fucking lord. I was worried lol.

Only FF I have played is 12 and I loved it. Especially the way you can command your party was something that o haven't seen in any other game. But ff15 frustrated me at the first gas station and I did not have the desire to deal with the shit control of the car and play as the emo morons for the whole game ... hopefully the ff16 will be better. Until now it looks very good but I take every interview from the creators with skepticism because they have to praise what they make and sometimes they dont see their game flows or they straight up lie (e.g. Cybershit 2099).

mortal mortal

wii-sports-baseball.gif

Your batting average of posts can't be this good.

Batiman

Banned
As long as it ain’t like FF7R. I enjoyed it but it felt so on rails to the point I’m asking myself if I’m playing the game any different from everyone else.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
not open world? thats a bummer.. i dont want another 10 or 13 :sick:
Just because it’s not “open world”, it doesn’t mean they gonna be linear like FFXIII.

Games like Xenoblade and Dragon Quest XI are technically linear RPGs but with big open map to explore.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
I wish they would just take the structure of earlier FF games and scale it up to modern standards. If you look at something like FF7 for example, once you leave Midgar you have access to the world map, but that doesn’t mean you can go anywhere you want, since you’re restricted by natural barriers like oceans and mountains. Over the course of the game you get access to more and more of the world through new forms of transportation: first a car, then a boat, then a submarine and finally an airship. It’s only in the last third of the game that you can explore the whole map. This allowed them to control the pacing of the story, while still letting players feel as if they’re exploring a huge open world.

I just don’t understand why they never tried to repeat this structure after FF9. I don’t want an open world where I can just immediately go wherever I want, since that usually messes up the pacing of the story. But I certainly want to be able to freely explore the world by the end of the game, preferably with an airship or some other kind of unique vehicle. I don’t just want to select locations on a menu screen like in FF10 and 12; I want the whole world to be physically explorable. It doesn’t even have to be totally seamless; I’d have no problem if cities and dungeons are their own cells separate from the world (that’s how Skyrim and Oblivion did it after all).

If necessary they could even fake the open map entirely: while you’re in an airship, the whole world map is available, but only as a separate cell that’s less detailed than the normal environments (but which you wouldn’t really notice since the camera is further away in this mode). You can’t really interact with the environments while flying your airship, but you wouldn’t need to, since it’s just a fancy way to move across the map. But when you land, there’s a short cutscene and the game loads the actual environment of the specific zone you landed in (which should only take a few seconds thanks to the SSD). So the world would be separated into different zones, which on foot can only be entered or exited at specific points determined by the developers (thus allowing them to guide the player’s experience). But later in the game, once you get an airship or another vehicle, you have access to an open world map that is its own separate thing entirely, but still gives you an illusion of a seamless open world.

Something like that is what I have wanted ever since FF10. There’s still a chance that FF16 will do something like this, especially since they said that the story will be global, and not just restricted to certain continents.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

7b33f400-a289-4dc1-b877-cebb1aac92a1-ffxvi_mediakit_01.png

[/URL]

[/URL]

• The team played a lot of different modern AAA games to get a feel for what people like these days and for reference. (this shouldnt come as a surprise as Yoshida has always said that the biggest fault of Square devs and devs in general is that they dont actually play games their competitors are making and thus often make outdated design choices.)
  • NOT fully open world aka one seamless map. Instead will have Big Areas that are basically different parts of the continent(s) of Valisthea to give players a better feel of a truly “global” scale.
  • "In the 35-year history of the Final Fantasy series, it’s always been the guiding policy that each new installment has to be the very best game that the director at the time can put together, no matter how the game world, the characters, or the battle system might change. Because of this, gamers and Final Fantasy fans around the world have very different ideas of what a Final Fantasy game should be—but to me, it’s those elements I mentioned."
  • His orginal reaction to being asked to make the next FF “Thanks, but I have my hands full with Final Fantasy XIV, so let me think about it.”
  • Team started as a small core team split from XIV team and then eventually grew over the course of several years as dev continued. Didnt want this to have any impact on XIV's continued development.
  • the game is fully playable from start to finish. Currently doing multi language VO, fine tuning difficulty, final touches on cutscenes, full scale debugging etc
  • His fav summon is Bahamut
  • jump straight from story cutscenes into real-time battles and back again without any loading times thanks to the power of PS5
  • The titan battles are only a small part of the full experience. That said, each titan battle itself is long, with different phases, stages changing all in real time one of these battles is reminiscent of a 3D shooting game, another feels like a pro wrestling match, while another, like the one with Titan, incorporates an entire area as the battlefield
  • Some UI was removed from the trailer for spoiler reasons
  • One of the main themes explored in Final Fantasy XVI's narrative deals with the inevitable clash of values and ideals when you get multiple different people with different ideals in the same room; what is truly right and what is truly wrong?
  • No plan for any tertiary content. XVI will be a complete experience.
  • We follow the life of Clive Rossville through three different stages: his teens, his 20s, and his 30s.
  • Lots of background lore, and reading material in the game itself.
  • Game is rated 18+/M for mature because they felt it was necessary to allow us to explore those more mature themes that the game tackles.
  • Combat is fast paced and you'll switch between different summon abilities on the fly (sounds kinda like weapon/style switching from DMC). Allows for a lot of customization and personal creativity.
  • FFXVI is more medieval because of the personal preference of lead devs on the game. They saw a lot of people finding the modern settings of FF kinda static so decided to use this as a chance to go the other way instead.
  • Already working on readying a third trailer for release this fall.
This sounds really promising! One of the few games aside from Street Fighter 6 and Hogwarts Legacy that I have some confidence of it delivering when released.

My favorite parts is that it isn't open world and that it is a complete game and not a broken up mess like FFXV. I'm also excited to dive into the conflicting ideals. Should be interesting for sure.

KXVXII9X

The XV team is working on Forspoken. The XIII Trilogy alumni is working on VII Remake, including Naoku Hamaguchi and Motomu Toriyama.

The XVI team is the XIV team also known as Creative Business Unit 3.
The XV team is working on Forspoken? Well, everything makes sense now. Both use Luminous engine and seem to both have unnecessary empty open world.

Kev Kev

I wish they would just take the structure of earlier FF games and scale it up to modern standards. If you look at something like FF7 for example, once you leave Midgar you have access to the world map, but that doesn’t mean you can go anywhere you want, since you’re restricted by natural barriers like oceans and mountains. Over the course of the game you get access to more and more of the world through new forms of transportation: first a car, then a boat, then a submarine and finally an airship. It’s only in the last third of the game that you can explore the whole map. This allowed them to control the pacing of the story, while still letting players feel as if they’re exploring a huge open world.

I just don’t understand why they never tried to repeat this structure after FF9. I don’t want an open world where I can just immediately go wherever I want, since that usually messes up the pacing of the story. But I certainly want to be able to freely explore the world by the end of the game, preferably with an airship or some other kind of unique vehicle. I don’t just want to select locations on a menu screen like in FF10 and 12; I want the whole world to be physically explorable. It doesn’t even have to be totally seamless; I’d have no problem if cities and dungeons are their own cells separate from the world (that’s how Skyrim and Oblivion did it after all).

If necessary they could even fake the open map entirely: while you’re in an airship, the whole world map is available, but only as a separate cell that’s less detailed than the normal environments (but which you wouldn’t really notice since the camera is further away in this mode). You can’t really interact with the environments while flying your airship, but you wouldn’t need to, since it’s just a fancy way to move across the map. But when you land, there’s a short cutscene and the game loads the actual environment of the specific zone you landed in (which should only take a few seconds thanks to the SSD). So the world would be separated into different zones, which on foot can only be entered or exited at specific points determined by the developers (thus allowing them to guide the player’s experience). But later in the game, once you get an airship or another vehicle, you have access to an open world map that is its own separate thing entirely, but still gives you an illusion of a seamless open world.

Something like that is what I have wanted ever since FF10. There’s still a chance that FF16 will do something like this, especially since they said that the story will be global, and not just restricted to certain continents.
I feel you man, nothing I want more than that. 😞

There is a way they could make it work without it being overly large and empty. I just don’t think they have any interest in doing that. Maybe one day.

kiphalfton

I would like an open world. But who knows maybe the game will still have a good story.

If the devs didn't lose focus by going the open world route that would be one thing, but then they always add in some nonsense filler material to pad the game. I still find it extremely hard to believe that there hasn't really been that many games that are open world, that feel varied from mission to mission. And maybe that's the problem, is making open world games mission based instead of making it one long cohesive "mission" like linear games.

Last edited:

sendit

Dissappointed this isn't open world. Wish they would have iterated and expanded on Final Fantasy 15 formula. This feels like its going backwards.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Dissappointed this isn't open world. Wish they would have iterated and expanded on Final Fantasy 15 formula. This feels like its going backwards.

On the flip side, less open areas, means more resources for the actual content. I'm all for that if it, if it improves every other aspect of the game.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Reading through the comments I feel like I’m the only one who enjoyed ff15.
Regardless, the UI seemed kinda busy in the last trailer so it’s weird hearing them say them hid things…

I liked XV, beaten it like four times since launch, and my last playthrough was ~250 hours, not including DLC. It did certain things VERY well, namely music, visuals, and atmosphere. Had a good road trip vibe, monster designs were all pretty cool and dark fantasy inspired. Side stuff was cool as far as fishing, photography, and hidden tombs and dungeons.

Things I didn't vibe with so well were the lack of cohesion between the first and second halves, the fact that you needed to invest in movies and anime to understand the story completely as opposed to supplementing an already complete story, and the lack of urgency or drive in the main quest. Was basically

"Oh, we're going on a boat to go get married. Oh no, my kingdom was taken over. Let's take photos, go camping, fish, and fix steam valves. I had a dad? LOL he sounds like a tool, whatevs, I need new headlights for my car,"

Like...don't cram big epic explodey world ending shit in the beginning and end and have the middle be bro time. I thought the game EXCELLED at forming a believable relationship with the main party, and I'd honestly appreciate, in an anthology series like FF, if there were a game with kind of a tighter, more personal, low stakes tale. Have a road trip across the continent and do all these quests and have it be a coming of age story or whatever that happens to have dragons and goblins and caves and Ruins and shit, but keep it small scale. XV is a result of clashing visions, and a story stitched together from the corpse of Versus XIII. It's a game that desperately wants it's own identity, but is tied down in the baggage of it's own pre release hype.

EDMIX

Thank goodness. Final Fantasy should never be open-world. FFXV should never have been a mainline entry.
?...ok.

Based on how they are saying this, that is how they did FFXV sir, you couldn't actually go to ALL 100% areas in the game cause several areas you go to are closed off and you get there thru a cut scene or something. So to say FF should never go open world is funny as fuck, the fucking series started as open world lol Where the fuck did you think that airship music came from or have you never known it was open world prior or something?

The deep lolz.

So FF series has more titles open world then not, even those that are open have areas that you can't connect to until some cut scene or event, what this game is even describing ironically isn't that different then what was done with FFXV or other past titles.

So it states

NOT fully open world aka one seamless map

As in.. not FULLY open world, but clearly open world none the less, simply not a seamless map, but that is how FFXV is, 100% of all areas are not a seamless thing or something.

"Yes! You can through the Call Umbra feature:

1. Go to a rest point that is not a campsite. Open the interact menu.
  2. Choose the option Call Umbra. Umbra should appear.
  3. Choose Travel to past Altissia. A loading screen will appear.
You will now be at the Leville hotel."

Now you know =), but thats a lot of FF titles btw. As in you can fly in some airship to get to an area, but other areas are locked off, you got to it thru some cut scene or event. So this whole "Fully open" vs "Seamless" I feel is irrelevant, if you didn't like FFXV, for all we know you won't like this lol I mean shit, its not like this idea that some of the areas in FFXV you need to go to a fucking camp site to visit now fucking suddenly makes it GOTY for you man. Doubtful.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

An M-Rated Final Fantasy with action combat and a medieval setting that harkens to the older games?? Designed by one of the combat leads for DMC, written by main writer for Heavensword, and directed by the man who saved FFXIV?!?

LET’S LIGHT THIS BITCH!!

hype-train-gif-6.gif

Azurro

Banned
yeah see youre one of these smug FF fans that i have encountered in other threads on here. thanks for letting me know

Not thinking FFXV is great is being smug? Come on, they left out huge chunks of story out of the main game, while the world made no sense at all. That world being pretty much empty most of the time as well. I liked the combat and the characters, but come on, you can't tell me it doesn't have enormous flaws.

MistBreeze

From what I have seen from the trailers the game looks promising

The combat seems cool ,, dmc style switching like system seems nice

The story seems dark, deep and interesting

The only thing that I don’t like summons battle seems cinematic with minimal interactions

I hope this game succeeds, I hope they show more gameplay in coming trailers

NahaNago

I think the problem would be as you mentioned is that they would have to create a huge open world you could explore. It was okay during the ps1 era to fake an entire world but not so much now. I know that we have technology that would allow you to create more easily whole worlds but what would be the point if all your going to visit were a couple of cities and towns peppered across vast distances of that world.

They should have worked on creating smaller more interesting "worlds" to explore like maybe a kingdom that has multiple environments like a, beaches, lakes, mountains, towns, and a mountain in a large-ish area. Then they could have multiplied that by two warring kingdoms for the next game. I swear this sounds like ff15 to ff16 but ff 15 fails in creating a interesting and lively world.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Not thinking FFXV is great is being smug? Come on, they left out huge chunks of story out of the main game, while the world made no sense at all. That world being pretty much empty most of the time as well. I liked the combat and the characters, but come on, you can't tell me it doesn't have enormous flaws.
so you also believe the only good things about it were combat and graphics? everything else was literal garbage?? the dialogue, music, exploration, chocobos, chocobo racing and fishing, the other mini games, the boss fights, the story, listening to old school FF songs while cruising down a highway with beautiful landscape all around you, flying a damn car around the open world, the funny banter back and forth, the different mechanics lie eating food to power your party up and so on.

all of it was just "garbage"? as in a complete waste of the developers time? as in the people who spent hundreds if not thousands of hours crafting these mechanics and systems created something that was pure garbage and worthless? like youd literally hold their work in front of their face and shit punt it into the trash in front of them?

come on man. i can criticize something and be an adult about it. calling everything except the graphics and combat in FF15 "garbage" is childish and stupid, and just objectively false. i can look at something and be like "yeah this was bad but i like how they did this. that thing wasnt implemented well but i see what they were going for. but this one thing was really stupid not sure what was going on there but i have to give them credit for x, y and z".

the way that dude writing off nearly the entire game as garbage is fucking smug.

yeah the game has flaws and hes aloud to hate it, hell i can see it has flaws and there are parts about it i hate (and ive said as much!), but the way he went about it was completely stupid and borderline troll behavior. not to mention, if youve paid attention to that member's bans hes kind of a fuckin troll. ive been reading his posts since he signed up here and i just finally had enough of him (i put him on ignore and trust me you should too, you seem like a genuine poster).

and ive had enough of FF fans being smug assholes in general. anyone who loves everything about FF7R for example, as if it is "perfect" and has done nothing wrong, can go fuck off. i love FF7R but it absolutely has flaws and im not sitting over here calling it garbage bc i dont like it. i also love FF15, and its not nearly as good of a game as FF7R but that doesnt mean its garbage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom