• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A new Final Fantasy XVI trailer will be shown this fall | Game Confirmed Not Open World + More Info

Azurro

Banned
Kev Kev Kev Kev , my man, no need for the rant. I didn't say it was garbage, just that it was not great imo. I still played it and finished it, and liked it enough to be really annoyed that they left enormous chunks of the story out. The chocobos were cool, the graphics really nice and liked the characters and battle system.

Still a 7/10 for me.

Kev Kev

Kev Kev Kev Kev , my man, no need for the rant. I didn't say it was garbage, just that it was not great imo. I still played it and finished it, and liked it enough to be really annoyed that they left enormous chunks of the story out. The chocobos were cool, the graphics really nice and liked the characters and battle system.

Still a 7/10 for me.
then how is it hard for you to see why i think that dude was being so smug about it? you seem to understand nuance and that things are a spectrum. some good, some bad, you know? that mother fucker literally says the entire game is garbage, except for two things? lol come on now, thats ridiculous. fuck that ill call people out all day for that crap

Azurro

Banned
then how is it hard for you to see why i think that dude was being so smug about it? you seem to understand nuance and that things are a spectrum. some good, some bad, you know? that mother fucker literally says the entire game is garbage, except for two things? lol come on now, thats ridiculous. fuck that ill call people out all day for that crap

I admit I didn't read the entire thread. 😅

But yeah, it's not good to take things so personal, people like hyperbole, especially on the internet

Kev Kev

I admit I didn't read the entire thread. 😅

But yeah, it's not good to take things so personal, people like hyperbole, especially on the internet
yeah youre right, i get a little too worked up sometimes :messenger_grinning_sweat: and tbf it does have a lot to do with that guys posting history. i already knew he was kind of a jerk so

Kev Kev

This is incorrect, There are more than 4 zones which Yoshi P confirmed, he just states that four zones, in particular, are much larger than the others.

Also to someone else's comment above Yoshida is not guilty of not playing his games, he can be found in PVP quite often in FFXIV which is actually pretty awesome.
I thought he said 4 large zones (or maybe they said cities or large area, can’t remember) in that translation, and the translator also suggested small zones in between.

The translations and tweets and summaries were coming in fast from seemingly multiple sources. Do we have a definitive translation somewhere? Because I’m certain I read “4 large areas” somewhere when all that info was being dumped, but like I said it was kind of crazy. It’s entirely possible we read from different sources.

My interpretation from all the info I saw is that it will be linear like FF13 with 4 gran pulse areas instead of 1. Mostly straight forward, big focus on combat, with light exploration elements and bulletin boards/hunts. I imagine that will happen mostly in the 4 large zones, while the smaller zones in between will be have shops, NPCs, side quests, etc.

YukiOnna

I don't think he gave a specific comment on the size of the other areas saying they're linear or anything, just saying zone/area based like he did in general should be enough to know the world is just that: zones (Dragon Quest, Xenoblade, FF14), not on extreme or the other. At least to Dengeki he just clarified that while it's not a open world, they have at least 4 fields that are that expansive size and give that feel. He also suggested you can come back to clear side content after the main story and there's plenty to do whenever.

The other thing was when they conducted their global user research, very few actually cited an open world as a main FF desire. Demand mainly varied from good story, good graphics, and interesting gameplay. He even brought up FF15 attempted an open world to some degree, but his team thinks before anything like that, the story of FF should be the focal point. In general, he didn't want the team to force themselves to make one or feel pressure to.

Labadal

I choose to remain pessimistic. Could it be good? Yes. But also: Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XV taught me a lesson that even series that I like can quickly turn to something that isn't for me.

Game looks fan fucking tastic. So many websites have more info. I think the Famitsu one said you will play as other characters briefly in story bits.

Development started in 2015 and the game will let you respec at any time and it’s sounding like you will have a wolf companion at your side potentially? Also Dominants turning inti Eikons may come with a cost.

All in all, Im just as hype from the reveal up till now. Can’t wait, they are putting their all into this. XV was a major disappointment but they seem to have learn from their mistakes (if FFVII Remake wasn’t enough to show us)

Edit: CG Cutscenes confirmed!!!
U never replied to this, where were CG cutscenes confirmed?

I know Yoshi-P said that the trailer is 95% in-game with the rest having pre-rendered elements. But thankfully this only referred to the trailer. I also know he mentioned that Takeshi Nozue, who directed Kingsglaive (and I think is head of the in-house CG studio), is working with him, and I know that they mentioned CG character models.... but I don't know if they flat-out confirmed CG cutscenes.

I need them to confirm this because CG cutscenes are an absolutely crucial part of the FF experience for me. If this game ends up not having any I'll be completely devastated. And I wouldn't be satisfied with just an opening and ending either. Ugh

Last edited:
U never replied to this, where were CG cutscenes confirmed?

I know Yoshi-P said that the trailer is 95% in-game with the rest having pre-rendered elements. But thankfully this only referred to the trailer. I also know he mentioned that Takeshi Nozue, who directed Kingsglaive (and I think is head of the in-house CG studio), is working with him, and I know that they mentioned CG character models.... but I don't know if they flat-out confirmed CG cutscenes.

I need them to confirm this because CG cutscenes are an absolutely crucial part of the FF experience for me. If this game ends up not having any I'll be completely devastated. And I wouldn't be satisfied with just an opening and ending either. Ugh
Oh I forgot I said something here. Yea my bad man, musta read a translation error on that first day.

Myths

Just saw this. The concept behind Active Time Lore reminds me of the Active Time Event from FF9 inasmuch as it helps pad out the story, plot, and character information.

Right now, the only aspect of battle I would have changed are the Dominant challenges. Those should have been Freeform battles with full control over the main character’s Dominant and not a QTE/Contextual Reaction Command system.

Last edited:
Top Bottom