• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A new display called xScreen turns Xbox Series S into a portable console

M.W.

tenor.gif

TonyK

Portable for me it means I can play it during commutes. So, that's not portable, it's, as any other console, transportable.

coffinbirth

So any console and a monitor are portable because they can be carried around is what you're saying? Being tied to the power mains is the opposite of being portable. Not handheld, portable.

The Wii U was easier to carry around, and it was far from being a portable.
No, but this sure is...
That's literally what portable means, yes.
Are you actually walking around when you play, say a Switch Lite? Or are you sitting down?
Do you travel? Ever ride a train or fly in a plane? They have outlets. Hotel rooms have outlets. RV's have outlets. Cars are capable of powering this thing...
Do you consider your tv something you can shove in your backpack?

Are you aware that PORTABLE power stations not only exist, but are pretty common?
I mean, what even is this conversation? If you're just being pedantic, whatever....but I can't exactly take my current Xbox setup and plop it in a backpack and travel around and play it. And yes, I did this quite a bit with Wii U as well.

Here, this should help.

Or is he wrong too?

Last edited:

coffinbirth

You can play it offline.
Sure, but if you want access to Game Pass (yes, there is a workaround but if you are game sharing or have similar setups you might be sol)or your cloud saves or...playing an online game, you're going to need that sweet, sweet internet juice.

Loope

Can Bear Grylls take it to the jungle to play some games, while he eats a fucking Tarantula? No, then it's not portable.

Portable doesn't have to be solely definable as handheld. If this makes it easier to go play outside on a picnic table or while taking a shit - cool, I'm interested.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Portable doesn't have to be solely definable as handheld. If this makes it easier to go play outside on a picnic table or while taking a shit - cool, I'm interested.

You shouldn’t be interested in taking this clown setup to a picnic table, and pray for your asshole if you stay long enough on the toilet for this to make sense.

You shouldn’t be interested in taking this clown setup to a picnic table, and pray for your asshole if you stay long enough on the toilet for this to make sense.
Why I wouldn't be? Being able to go outside and game while the weather is nice is something I've been doing for decades with other systems even with a smaller tv. Hooking things up has been a rather simple affair, this just makes it even easier. Gaming outside doesn't stop being fun if I can't hold the whole system in my hands.

As for the toilet - I can spend a solid hour alone reading in there or whatever. Not sure why, always been weird like that.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

What good is a portable Xbox Series S if you need to be connected to the internet to play games?
You don't need to be online to play your games.
I love how portable means that now you can play it at the dinner table if you have a wall plug nearby.

What’s up with these morons?
You clearly don't get out much.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The xScreen was announced last month ahead of its planned Kickstarter campaign, with anyone interested able to reserve the peripheral for $1 and lock in ‘early bird’ pricing of $159 (compared to the full price of $249).

The Kickstarter officially launched yesterday, and reached its AU$13,000 goal within 20 minutes. At the time of writing, it sits at over AU$71,000 ($53,000) with 28 days remaining.

skit_data

”Portable” as my Harman/Kardon Onyx i.e ”I never use it because it’s too big to bring but way weaker than my soundsystem at home”

Polelock

Not bad but I prefer these for my portable gaming. It's a shame the xsx and ps5 are so damn big they will probably have to wait for a slim version to come out before they make a current Gen system model.

I tried out this with my Xbox one s hooked up to my Jackery 1000 and 1500 watt battery generators and played some RE8 . It only used about 80 watts to run both the TV and system . Pretty slick , can easily play for 10 hours on the 1000 and 15+ on my 1500 before they run out of juice.
OSFD7Pc.jpg
That is pretty slick

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The thing I am most impressed by here is all the leg room that guy has. I thought the airlines had taken all of that away in favor of one more row of seats.
Does not seems to be an airplane, look at how big those windows are. Well it's definitely not a plane due to not windows now being oval enough, it's probably some train.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

I turned my Xbox Series S into a Portable Gaming Machine using other all-new G-STORY 12.5‘’ Portable Monitor for Xbox Series S and in my opinion, this is a must-have accessory for your Xbox Series S! In this video test out this awesome Xbox Series S detachable portable screen, Its a 1080P 12.5 Inch IPS display with built-in speakers and HDR support that attaches to the Series S like the upcoming X-Screen. We also go fully portable with this XBox using a Battery bank to completely power the Xbox Series S and this new Screen.

00:00-Intro
00:30-Unboxing
02:00-Installation
03:42-First Boot and Display Setting overview
05:43-Testing Forza Horizon 5 and other games
07:00-USB Power Test
09:02-Adding A Battery going Fully Portable
10:20-Final Thoughts

Rykan

I really like this thing.

I think Sony's Ericcson team was super talented and used to make killer phones in the 2000s. I hate how Sony and Blackberry just stopped innovating after the iphone came out. They shouldve continued to push stuff like this instead of just copying Apple and killing their brand.
Is this the one that had a PSP build into it?

Orta

Banned
Remember portable 14" tv's

s-l300.jpg

Pretty unique use case. Can see chromebook/tablet/phone and xcloud with 5g ultimately being the portable solution though. But this is decent for those with static caravans, holiday homes for the kids etc.

My first gaming tv was a black & white 14" portable :messenger_beaming:

pINiu7b.jpg

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In this video, we take a look at the GStory 4K portable monitor for the Xbox Series X! This is the perfect travel display for the Xbox! with a 12.5" 4k HDR display and dual stereo speakers this has turned out to be an amazing accessories for the series X

Top Bottom